Cagcast listener since day 1 - My opinion...

[quote name='Hex Blade']I didn’t go out of my way to attack Wombat. That simply isn’t my nature. I was mealy voicing constructed criticism. I guess I was a little unfair to Wombat when I said he should be dropped or replaced. Just being less annoying sometimes would be enough for me.

Since listening to the latest Cagcast, I can’t help feeling a little guilty for starting this thread now as i didn’t think Wombat would take it to heart as much as he did. And I certainly didn’t expect Cheapy to read out my post. That must have been pretty embarrassing for him.

Like i said a few pages back, Wombat obliviously has a large following doing what he is doing and for that he has my respect.

Oh, and if i had to choose from Wombat and Jimmiemac.....put it this way, If it was called the CheapyD and Jimmiemac Cagcast, i would of stopped listening a long time ago.[/quote]

I saw your apology in the show thread. It takes courage to reconsider your actions, recognize the effect they had on other people, and apologize. I respect that. Kudos. I'm sorry as well for escalating things.

I started listening to the CAGcast shortly after Christmas last year (I got an iPod as a gift), so while I haven't been listening since the first episode, I've been tuned in for the last 15-20 or so. I'll admit that it took me a few weeks to warm up to Wombat, and there are still occasional moments when I find him a bit grating.......BUT........ I think the show would suffer greatly if he were ever removed or replaced. The easy back-and-forth banter between Wombat and Cheapy is what makes the CAGcast so enjoyable.

I listen to the CAGcast while I'm at work, and it makes the time fly by. Each week when I get to the end of the show, I always find myself saying "Wow, has it already been an hour and a half?" That tells me that they're doing something right. So I say keep up the good work, Wombat. :applause:

[quote name='Maklershed']Havent read a single bit of this thread .. I'm just dropping in to say that although my opinion may be less valid then others (since I've only listened to about 4 or 5 cagcasts so far) I love Wombat on the cagcast. He's the Artie Lange to Cheapy's Howard Stern. Cheapy moves the show along and can be funny himself but Wombat is the comic relief and I think you'd notice a major difference if he wasnt there.[/quote]
Whoa whoa whoa wombat = artie lange? Let's not get crazy here. Artie is hilarious, wombat is not.

This whole "professional" discussion is silly. There are shades of gray, not just professional = stuffy and stuck up and whatever else you guys are picturing in your pea brains.

You say you don't want it to be more professional, but it is clear that the hosts DO. They want you to Digg the cagcast. They want reviews. They want to attract new listeners. And they want to form relationships with publishers and developers to try and give you better coverage. Just "two guys shooting the shit" for an hour and a half doesn't really cut it if you want to grow the userbase. Of course CAGs love it because we have all been hanging out here for the last (almost) four years and "know" eachother, but what is there to attract listeners from outside of this website? Better coverage brings more listeners which creates better relationships with sponsors/publishers/developers which equals a better show for everyone. That doesn't mean the wackiness and fun/funny camaraderie between Cheapy and Wombat suddenly has to suddenly disappear and everyone has a stick up their butt. It just means things get streamlined and refined and improved.

One thing that would help the CAGcast is to add a third person. It will give Wombat someone to bounce his thoughts off of, and if the third host is anyone with any sense, they'll correct him and everyone can be happy. Wombat can still be funny. The coverage will be better. And I (and many other people) won't be so annoyed when Wombat rants.

I'm critical of Wombat (yeah, I started the "Moochgate" controversy, wanna fight about it?), but I do have to give him credit for being willing to change and make things better.

The CAGCast is definitely my favorite podcast even though I am regularly annoyed by Wombat. Don't think Cheapy should do the show alone, but replacing Wombat with someone less annoying and more involved in the video game industry would make the show much better.

Or GF_Eric's suggestion of having 3 hosts sounds pretty good. My favorite talk show (Frosty, Heidi & Frank) uses 3 hosts and their chemistry works really well. Wombat could be the equivalent of Frosty (the lovable loser).

Yeah like I said earlier in this thread I think the podcast could benefit greatly from adding a 3rd person to the team. Try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. If it isn't working then just scratch the idea.

I love Wombat!! He has an interesting sense of humor, similar to mine. I pretty find anything he says to be funny. He doesn’t take things to serious, yet, at the same time he feels strongly on a few subjects (Vitrual Console prices). I think he complements Cheapy very well.

This is by far one of my favorite podcast tied only with Player One Podcast; Wobat being a critical piece. The video game community here is one of the better ones on the net. Also, I find the website extremely helpful to finding great deals.

I hope you guys continue on together and wish you the most success. Don't let a few people miss interpret your humor and get you down Wombat. You go and Wombat on! VAGINA CLOWN it all the way.

[quote name='cgarb84']Yeah like I said earlier in this thread I think the podcast could benefit greatly from adding a 3rd person to the team. Try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. If it isn't working then just scratch the idea.[/quote] That would work out. I like cheapy and his humor is kind of similar to mine but wombat pretty much brings everything down as soon as he opens his mouth in my opinion. A thrid person would definitly bring another perspective on things and then I could just listen to cheapy and the other person.

I listened to most of the podcasts now and I have to say, I enjoy Wombat very much. He really make a good complemento for Cheappy on the show. His commentaries are more insightful than most might notice but I think he might benefit from a litle extra information in his statements.

A third host would surely fresh things up. I would reccomend someone younger who spends more time in videogames than Wombat, assuming there is someone up to the task available.

By the way, I was hearing the show in my mp3 player at work when I bursted in laughter on the Vagina Clown commentary. I had to make up a excuse (no one there would understand).

Keep up the good work

I've also been listening to the CAGcast since the the first episode (OK, technically I heard the 3rd or 4th first and went back to listen to the rest). I heard about this thread on the last episode and decided to chime-in.

Disclaimer: I haven't read this entire thread so I don't know if someone already touched on this.

Successful radio duos tend to be "straight guy and character" combinations. Cheapy is obviously the straight guy and Wombat the character. I guess this is stating the obvious. Two straight guys and you have a snoozefest; two characters and you have your average lame wacky morning zoo. I think replacing Wombat with someone tamer would bring the show down.

Cheapy is great (I especially enjoy the segments about life in Japan) but he needs someone to spice up the program. "Nice to a fault" might be a good way to describe his broadcasting style. He's trying to run a business and can't risk angering game publishers or retailers with crass comments. When the "character" co-host makes snide comments it's something people can separate from CAG itself.

Wombat's comments have been more cynical than usual, he also comes across as someone who's fallen behind on gaming. The CAGcast is one of the two podcasts (along with 1up Yours) I rely on to keep up with gaming news. I enjoy them because they have enough balance to be both informative and entertaining (although I haven't heard the first 1up Yours since Luke's departure). An NPR style gaming news show would put me into a coma. I'm also stretched for time so sneaking in some gaming news in the car is about the only option I have. I think the CAGcast would improve if Wombat was more up-to-date with games. That's my only criticism.

Is the show big enough to start getting advance copies from publishers?

Well there's my mini-rant on the topic. Overall I enjoy Wombat and think he adds some essential balance and perspective to the show.

You ladies sound like a bunch of whiny ass bitches. Any body who thinks Cheapy is "Nice to a fault" and can't make crass comments obviously hasn't listened to more than 2 CAGcasts.

And Wombat's cynicism is just what the podcast needs. Somebody needs to be critical of the idiotic things these companies are making, doing, and saying instead of making kissass to get invited to the next industry-insider-sneak-preview like all those other podcast whores on 1upyours and EGMlive.

I like those shows too, but they take themselves and their self-inflated positions in the industry way too seriously. Cheapy and wombat are regular, almost middle aged guys who like talking about their videogame hobby, not their obsession.

Stop trying to mold the CAGcast into what you think it should be. I don't think Cheapy and Wombat are going to therapy to change their personalities anytime soon.

Well, I'm not really sure about Wombat. He could be in therapy for something...

[quote name='bmulligan']You ladies sound like a bunch of whiny ass bitches. Any body who thinks Cheapy is "Nice to a fault" and can't make crass comments obviously hasn't listened to more than 2 CAGcasts.

And Wombat's cynicism is just what the podcast needs. Somebody needs to be critical of the idiotic things these companies are making, doing, and saying instead of making kissass to get invited to the next industry-insider-sneak-preview like all those other podcast whores on 1upyours and EGMlive.

I like those shows too, but they take themselves and their self-inflated positions in the industry way too seriously. Cheapy and wombat are regular, almost middle aged guys who like talking about their videogame hobby, not their obsession.

Stop trying to mold the CAGcast into what you think it should be. I don't think Cheapy and Wombat are going to therapy to change their personalities anytime soon.

Well, I'm not really sure about Wombat. He could be in therapy for something...[/quote]Something about your post tells me you haven't even listened to 1up Yours.

[quote name='bmulligan']You ladies sound like a bunch of whiny ass bitches. Any body who thinks Cheapy is "Nice to a fault" and can't make crass comments obviously hasn't listened to more than 2 CAGcasts.

I like those shows too, but they take themselves and their self-inflated positions in the industry way too seriously. Cheapy and wombat are regular, almost middle aged guys who like talking about their videogame hobby, not their obsession. [/quote]
The "nice to a fault" comment came from what I perceive as Cheapy trying to be diplomatic with his criticisms. I've heard him make plenty of negative comments about games and publishers but they always come across as even-headed (maybe I'm so used to hearing the Luke Smiths of the world that anything less than that sounds "nice").

Like I said, I think they strike a nice balance that I wouldn't want to see interrupted with a format/host change. The more cynical Wombat is just fine with me, I guess the listenership numbers will decide whether it's what people want.

I agree completely with the last point. Although I mostly enjoy the 1up Yours podcast if I hear them say "compelling gaming experience" or "not so much" one more time I might give up on it. If you made a drinking game out of those two phrases you wouldn't make it through the first 5 minutes. They're a group a dudes who talk about video games all day, they aren't curing cancer. The fact that Cheapy and Wombat recognize that is what makes the CAGcast so much better than 1up.

Well, I'm not really sure about Wombat. He could be in therapy for something...[/QUOTE]

Awesome post. I agree with everything you wrote.

I'd like to chime in on this whole thing briefly if I may. First off, I love the CagCast and I really enjoy the dynamic between Cheapy and Wombat. I enjoy the fact that Wombat doesn't hold to any stupid politcally correct conventions and just tells us whatever he thinks. However he gets himself into trouble when he goes on tangents on things he doesn't really know anything about. For example, I'm currently working on getting my degree in Journalism, and I had to literally turn my ipod off when he started to try and explain to me the definition of journalism and why it's a dying enterprise in our country. Now maybe that wasn't such a big deal to a lot of you, but it really got on my nerves; and I think that's the point. For a guy like Wombat it's in his nature to speak his mind and say some controversial stuff from time to time, and maybe this time he makes fun of Major Nelson, which I found to be pretty amusing, or maybe he makes fun of something you actually care about and you have to decide whether it's really that big of a deal or not.
For me personally it's not that big of a deal, I'll continue to listen to the podcast every week because it's entertaining and it's a chance to get some gaming commentary from two real, down-to-earth guys.

p.s. Wombat leave Bill O'reilly alone, it is indeed possible to be a child of this generation, a videogame enthusiast, and still be a fan of The Factor.

[quote name='veritas146']

p.s. Wombat leave Bill O'reilly alone, it is indeed possible to be a child of this generation, a videogame enthusiast, and still be a fan of The Factor.[/quote]

No NO it's not... He's a laying, fucking POS, sycophant, Hate-Monger. He and others like him on both sides of the aisle are the very reason that journalism is a dying profession. [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

bread's done
Back