CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

[quote name='Twick87']I didn't say they were called frequently, but they are called. In an average game I usually see 2 or 3 boarderline charging/hitting from behind penalties and in my experience it is called about 1 out of 6 times. Yea it should be called more, but think about it: if we started seeing this sort of hit 10-12 times per game, that'd be probably 2 or 3 penalties a game. Once people realized this they'd take more calculated risks as opposed to just taking every big hit they can.

That doesn't even take into account when you go for a big hit and miss and create an odd-man rush for the other team. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it'd be that bad. Certainly better than what it is now with all the injuries.

And to the point about being GM and calling guys up...nothing is stopping you. If you want to call guys up to try and progress them you don't need injuries on to do that. No teams roster is good enough that vets can't be replaced with a rookie to gain experience and whatnot. I know there's about 5 or 6 guys just on my team that I could swap in a rookie and probably not notice a difference.[/QUOTE]

Well then you see a heckuva lot more penalties for that stuff than I do.

[quote name='Twick87']I didn't say they were called frequently, but they are called. In an average game I usually see 2 or 3 boarderline charging/hitting from behind penalties and in my experience it is called about 1 out of 6 times. Yea it should be called more, but think about it: if we started seeing this sort of hit 10-12 times per game, that'd be probably 2 or 3 penalties a game. Once people realized this they'd take more calculated risks as opposed to just taking every big hit they can.

That doesn't even take into account when you go for a big hit and miss and create an odd-man rush for the other team. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it'd be that bad. Certainly better than what it is now with all the injuries.

And to the point about being GM and calling guys up...nothing is stopping you. If you want to call guys up to try and progress them you don't need injuries on to do that. No teams roster is good enough that vets can't be replaced with a rookie to gain experience and whatnot. I know there's about 5 or 6 guys just on my team that I could swap in a rookie and probably not notice a difference.[/QUOTE]

If you don't think this game plays to a very goonish level, then I guess our opinions of what hockey is differ greatly. Have you not noticed the AI chasing players down away from the play (even sometimes as they go for a line change) just so they can destroy them? I think moojuice said it before, but if penalties were called correctly, games would be a constant PP/PK due to how the AI is programmed.

If not for that, I'd much prefer penalties to be called EVERY time...and for the exact reason you mentioned. It would cause people to be more cautious with how they play. As it is now, most people feel they can get away with big hits along the boards. I can say this with 100% certainty because it's how I've started to view the game. The majority of the time, it's worth the risk of going for the hit because whether it winds up being a legal hit or not, the game isn't likely to call you for it. This leads to people playing in a way that many would call "dirty". But that's how NHL 13 was made. Not everything was always called in NHL 12...and there are even less calls this year. Just the way the game is.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']If you don't think this game plays to a very goonish level, then I guess our opinions of what hockey is differ greatly. Have you not noticed the AI chasing players down away from the play (even sometimes as they go for a line change) just so they can destroy them? I think moojuice said it before, but if penalties were called correctly, games would be a constant PP/PK due to how the AI is programmed.

If not for that, I'd much prefer penalties to be called EVERY time...and for the exact reason you mentioned. It would cause people to be more cautious with how they play. As it is now, most people feel they can get away with big hits along the boards. I can say this with 100% certainty because it's how I've started to view the game. The majority of the time, it's worth the risk of going for the hit because whether it winds up being a legal hit or not, the game isn't likely to call you for it. This leads to people playing in a way that many would call "dirty". But that's how NHL 13 was made. Not everything was always called in NHL 12...and there are even less calls this year. Just the way the game is.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I do think the AI is "goonish" and that penalties aren't called enough. It happens to me all the time where I take a shot from the point and my AI guys are crashing into the goalie while he's got it covered, or I switch to one of my AI cause I'm looking for a rebound but his momentum carries me into the goalie and there's nothing I can do about it. I've noticed my AI likes to "finish checks" in the offensive zone for god knows what reason, and most of the time in the NHL they would be interference penalties. I guess since I haven't played NHL12 I can't compare the two, this is the only NHL game I've played since NHL10.

That being said, as far as penalties, I've just adjusted my game to what is called and what isn't called. That's the only thing you CAN do. I wish penalties were called better, but they aren't. And 95% of the games I've played I've noticed the same thing from my opponents.

But as far as injuries, there is no adjusting your game to how/where/why injuries occur. They seem to happen in the most random situations and a tiny bump can knock a guy out for 50 games. Hence why I suggest we turn injuries off next season.

[quote name='Twick87']

So taking out Marty wouldn't make a difference? I highly disagree with that but if you say so. I play them but it doesn't matter since they reached potential already. So saying that, you wouldn't mind trading those players for rookies. Correct?

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So taking out Marty wouldn't make a difference? I highly disagree with that but if you say so. I play them but it doesn't matter since they reached potential already. So saying that, you wouldn't mind trading those players for rookies. Correct?[/QUOTE]

Marty? who are you talking about? And no I wouldn't mind trading McCormick/Kaleta/Hecht/Gerbe/Weber/etc for rookies. Those guys are basically useless in this game. Only problem is, when I constantly have 3-5 guys hurt I really can't afford to trade away anyone.

this may be a stupid question but isnt there an injury slider? I could have sworn I remember one from last year's NHL.

I guess I fall in the camp of thinking injuries do add an element of strategy and roster management to the game since you have to be swapping players, but I've had one of the most battered teams this year outside of moojuice so I also see the argument for turning them off altogether. I think the game's level of penalty calling is abysmal and so many players just go for the big hits no matter what (I'm guilty of it sometimes too, especially with Chara) that injuries being on/off will hardly even affect that. I dunno, I see both sides on this one so I'm no help.

Off topic..
I caught a nasty flu bug, so I'll be going directly to bed after work tonight. Please feel free to lose to my cpu tonight. Thanks.

Mr_Hockey and I were able to finally play again tonight after our connection issues last night. We set the score to 3-2 at the start of the 3rd and I tied it up on a nice Savard goal. Then he gets ROBBED of a shot at the end with 3 seconds left that by all rights should have gone in...I think EA realized this cause first play of OT he scored with a goal from near the blue line. Good games man!

ajh2298, you around tonight? Tonight may be the only night left I can play you, never heard back from the message I sent you Saturday.

[quote name='Wpark83']ajh2298, you around tonight? Tonight may be the only night left I can play you, never heard back from the message I sent you Saturday.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

[quote name='Canbanana']I still can't play Anaheim due to his roster being messed up...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you can wait like 10-15 minutes, I'll just go ahead and boot him. He posted that he was having to drop anyway. I really wish this stuff could be done from a website or the app. I'll be on NHL later anyway...but it's a pain to have to load all the way into GM Connected every time.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, if you can wait like 10-15 minutes, I'll just go ahead and boot him. He posted that he was having to drop anyway. I really wish this stuff could be done from a website or the app. I'll be on NHL later anyway...but it's a pain to have to load all the way into GM Connected every time.[/QUOTE]

The iOS app is a small advancement, but still extremely restricted. There needs to be a website that the GM and Commish can go in and adjust their team. From roster moves, line up changes, scouting reports, and all the commissioner things that need to be done. I know 2K had this with their last iteration of their game, and it seems so simple for EA to have a portal right from the easports.com player hub. Obviously this isn't the biggest flaw of the game, but just one of those things that is necessary.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Anyone having problems with NHL? I'm showing no games for this week?[/QUOTE]

He more than likely just hasn't had a chance to advance yet. I know I always check ASAP too lol.

[quote name='mvp828']He more than likely just hasn't had a chance to advance yet. I know I always check ASAP too lol.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm showing all my games for this last cycle played, an no future games, which is different than what I normally see once we progress forward.

Stupid head fart on my part, I thought we were pushing this cycle's deadline ahead until after Thanksgiving and I never played Ajh's CPU. So glad I took a 3-0 loss.

Unless of course the games haven't been simmed yet (since it doesn't look like we've been pushed forward) and the Ajh played my CPU after not responding to 2 messages. In which case I'd actually be upset.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wpark83']No, I'm showing all my games for this last cycle played, an no future games, which is different than what I normally see once we progress forward.

Stupid head fart on my part, I thought we were pushing this cycle's deadline ahead until after Thanksgiving and I never played Ajh's CPU. So glad I took a 3-0 loss.

Unless of course the games haven't been simmed yet (since it doesn't look like we've been pushed forward) and the Ajh played my CPU after not responding to 2 messages. In which case I'd actually be upset.[/QUOTE]

I think that's what happened, because I have two unplayed games showing on mine.

[quote name='jza1218']I think that's what happened, because I have two unplayed games showing on mine.[/QUOTE]

What a fucking joke. Since I have the #1 seed pretty much locked, I guess it shouldn't matter, but I feel bad for Edmonton, who actually had the respect to get back in touch with me and schedule a game, then dominated me and beat me as he fights with, who else Ahj, for the 8th seed in the west.

[quote name='Wpark83']What a fucking joke. Since I have the #1 seed pretty much locked, I guess it shouldn't matter, but I feel bad for Edmonton, who actually had the respect to get back in touch with me and schedule a game, then dominated me and beat me as he fights with, who else Ahj, for the 8th seed in the west.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sorry I played your CPU at about 2:00 am last night after I got my other games in against the Avs, Wild, and the Blackhawks. I really thought I did reply back to your PM via a PM but it looks like I must have never sent it out. I guess thats what happens when you fight with your wife for CPU control around the Pre-Black Friday Sales. If it makes you feel any better I think I am the 7th seed now after passing the now CPU controlled Sharks and in the game I did lose my best defenseman to injury for the rest of the season.

So after going pretty much injury free the first 2/3rds of the season I have now lost my 2nd and 3rd best wingers plus my best defensman for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs if I make them.

I've lost my top two d guys for almost the whole season plus my first five offensive guys have been out about half the season combined. I've gotten to know my minor league team quite well.

For some reason I thought it had advanced allready. Makes since now lol. See what no sleep and the flu will do to your mind.

I've lost:

Dan Girardi
Brent Sopel
Ryan McDonagh
Mike Rupp
Marian Gaborik

for over 30 games each and most closer to 40. I've also lost Callahan for about 10 games combined, as well as Richards for a few games. So I'm quite familiar with injuries as well.

What's funny is I had to call so many people up, I had to start calling them up on who would clear waivers and who wouldn't. I had higher skilled people who I had to leave in the minors cause I would end up losing them to waivers.

For you guys that get a ton of injuries, are they happening in games you're actually playing or are they being simmed? I know it's inevitable to have to sim some but I guess I've been incredibly lucky in not losing any key players for more than a game or two. I didn't join until a ways into the season though so maybe there were some earlier on.

I lost most of mine in sims. But the longer ones that are more than a week, like losing Briere 1 minute into game 1 for 50 games or Luke Schenn for 25 games, happen when I play.

I really hate this game. I outshot CPU Calgary 28-8, with over 5 minutes more time on attack...and lost 2-0. The saves Kiprusoff was making were ridiculous. I can't even take this damn game seriously anymore. I think I'm about done wasting my time on CPU games. If I start simming them and my team does poorly as a result, then good riddance to this shitty mode.

On the plus side, we have advanced. Sorry it took so long. I was spending time with family all day today.

WHAT THE fuck

I never, ever called Zac Rinaldo up. I saw that if I did, he would have to go through waivers to be sent back, so when that warning came up asking if I was sure I wanted to call him up I selected no.

Now I see on the app that the CPU Sharks claimed him. So I just lost a 71 overall center, aged 22? Have no idea what his potential was but he was one of my top guys down there, and played games with my team this season. I'm pretty pissed about that. fuck you EA.

I've got 8 games this cycle, but won't be back til Sunday from traveling. I'll get at you guys that afternoon to set stuff up. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

For all that have to play St. Louis I'm off till Tuesday so as long as it is not late Monday night I should be free to play.

[quote name='Flyersfan']WHAT THE fuck

I never, ever called Zac Rinaldo up. I saw that if I did, he would have to go through waivers to be sent back, so when that warning came up asking if I was sure I wanted to call him up I selected no.

Now I see on the app that the CPU Sharks claimed him. So I just lost a 71 overall center, aged 22? Have no idea what his potential was but he was one of my top guys down there, and played games with my team this season. I'm pretty pissed about that. fuck you EA.[/QUOTE]

Rinaldo is only a 3 star potential, so he would max out at high 70s maybe reach 80 or a little above. He could have been a solid 4th line maybe even 3rd line center. Still thats messed up, this whole mode is messed up. Been enjoying offline be a gm much more because I have much more control of my teams then online.

Man this fuckin bucllshit ineternet bullshit is fuckin pissin me the fuck off. I can fuckin play no games, I can't fuckin play not internet no fuckin bullshit I can do. fuckin Shaw bullshit mother fucker's can suck my my fuckin left dick and eat my left nut. fuckin bullshit can't even finish a fuckin game man I fuckin move 15 minutes from where I used to fuckin live and fuckin my internet doesn't working progerly for the last 3 weeks. My plan is fuackin supposed to give me 100mbps and it fuckin takes 10 minut3es to fuckin load a page wtf is this bullshit.

227803-Shaq%20Fu%20Header.jpg

Great, now you summoned Shaq into the thread

Anyone that has to play me, I'm unavailable until sunday night. Looking at the app I have:

Boston twice
Pittsburgh twice
Montreal

And 2 CPU games.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Anyone that has to play me, I'm unavailable until sunday night. Looking at the app I have:

Boston twice
Pittsburgh twice
Montreal

And 2 CPU games.[/QUOTE]

PM'd you, Boston, and NYR.

i still need

rangers
kings
buffalo
tampa

Please guys let me know when you would like to play. Im going to be fairly busy sunday and monday. I probably wont be on unless we can schedule a time.

Also, You guys might want to extend this period a little since everyone has been busy with thanksgiving.

I believe the Tampa guy said to just play hiscpu since he's given up on this season. He is just focusing on the gm aspect. But message him anyways

[quote name='IndoAssassin']I believe the Tampa guy said to just play hiscpu since he's given up on this season. He is just focusing on the gm aspect. But message him anyways[/QUOTE]

You are correct! :D

As much as I hate to do this, it looks like I won't be on before the deadline. I mean I'll be on after the MNF game, but I know most of you won't be around then. For anyone needing to play Chicago go ahead and play the CPU if you want. I just played Tampa Bay so my roster should be good because nobody got hurt, but if anyone runs into a problem let me know and I should be able to hop on briefly to fix it.

EDIT: Due to the extension, please ignore this. I'll be on after MNF tonight, around 11:00 PM tomorrow night, and Wednesday to be determined. I'll try to message everyone I need to play. I know I have Detroit, Phoenix, Minnesota, and L.A twice. That might be all actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't be on at all tonight. Everyone can play my CPU. Although I really think we should extend this cycle a day or two more, just my opinion.

If anybody has to play me (Buffalo) please send me a message via CAG because that sends me an email. I don't check the thread that much but I get emails on my phone.

Just played Canbanana. I have to say that had to have been the must fun I have had all season. It started off with me getting a goal because he put one in his own net. He ended up getting 3 in after that. Two of them were from a 5 minute power play. After that I some how tied it up only for him to make it 5 to 3 in the third. It was a hell of a game.

[quote name='Wpark83']I won't be on at all tonight. Everyone can play my CPU. Although I really think we should extend this cycle a day or two more, just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with this. I know I've been swamped this past week and really haven't looked at my GM Connected schedule at all. I understand if people think it wouldn't be fair though. But with the holidays, I think giving us all a couple extra days would be reasonable. Thoughts?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I actually agree with this. I know I've been swamped this past week and really haven't looked at my GM Connected schedule at all. I understand if people think it wouldn't be fair though. But with the holidays, I think giving us all a couple extra days would be reasonable. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I've got 5 of my 6 games done, but I'm perfectly fine with pushing it to Weds. night. Granted I have a lot more availability since I don't have any kids to take care of, and 2 of my games were CPU. So I don't think it would be a problem to delay it.

Philly, PM or message me on Live with another time that works since last night didn't.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I actually agree with this. I know I've been swamped this past week and really haven't looked at my GM Connected schedule at all. I understand if people think it wouldn't be fair though. But with the holidays, I think giving us all a couple extra days would be reasonable. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%! (Assuming everyone hasn't played my CPU yet per my previous post) :D.

At least through Wednesday would be nice IMO.

bread's done
Back