CAGLS: Official NHL 14 Online Franchise - Random Rosters - Play ALL Human Opponents - Schedule Section #5 Due 4/9!

All I know is now with the Miller trade if we start over I don't want to till the rosters are updated unless we go random.  

I seem to remember the game being better early on, so would tuner 1.01 be the way to go?
Yeah, we were talking about it last night...I look at the tuner notes, and I'm like "Ok, that sounds good.", "That makes sense.", "Yeah, I like that." And then it's like "Nope, I still see "goals from ridiculous angles". "Oh, yay...my 3rd clean hit in the game that triggered a fight." "Hey look, the goalie committed way too much to one side and left the entire net open."

Were those things any worse when the game first came out? Was there anything else about the game that was any more broken than it is now? I don't know. I will say, using an early tuner set would go along with making the new league as different from the old one as possible. Personally, I wouldn't mind at all having settings of:

Tuner Set 1.01

Random Rosters

Injuries Off

Waivers Off

And if that doesn't make for a different (possibly even fun) league experience, then the game is just shit and we're wasting our time.

As for sendme's comments about the Miller trade...that's kind of the exact reason I'd want random rosters. Mid season rosters are probably about as unbalanced as you're going to get. Some teams are tanking right now and others are loading up for the playoffs. My poor Preds would be DOA, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I prefer real rosters since that's the way I play all my sports games, but I'm perfectly fine with employing the use of random rosters.

Yeah, we were talking about it last night...I look at the tuner notes, and I'm like "Ok, that sounds good.", "That makes sense.", "Yeah, I like that." And then it's like "Nope, I still see "goals from ridiculous angles". "Oh, yay...my 3rd clean hit in the game that triggered a fight." "Hey look, the goalie committed way too much to one side and left the entire net open."

Were those things any worse when the game first came out? Was there anything else about the game that was any more broken than it is now? I don't know. I will say, using an early tuner set would go along with making the new league as different from the old one as possible. Personally, I wouldn't mind at all having settings of:

Tuner Set 1.01
Random Rosters
Injuries Off
Waivers Off

And if that doesn't make for a different (possibly even fun) league experience, then the game is just shit and we're wasting our time.
To quote Soundgarden "I've been away for too long".

Just wanted to chime in here that if u guys were gonna start over a new league with injuries off and random rosters I'd consider rejoining as Buffalo. There's just the problem of having to re acquire a copy of the game...

Also, how do u guys feel about making everyone play in the same conference (either east or west) ? It might be nice to have more user v user games. Just an idea...

While I prefer real rosters since that's the way I play all my sports games, but I'm perfectly fine with employing the use of random rosters.
Well, I prefer to play a hockey game that doesn't suck, but some things just aren't in the cards, lol. I get it. I'd rather use the Preds real roster...I wouldn't even mind having to do some work to improve it. But I shouldn't need to play cheeseball hockey to beat the CPU since the Preds aren't loaded with danglemasters. Even strong defensive teams don't have much of an advantage since the majority of games are decided by dumb bounces anyway.

To quote Soundgarden "I've been away for too long".

Just wanted to chime in here that if u guys were gonna start over a new league with injuries off and random rosters I'd consider rejoining as Buffalo. There's just the problem of having to re acquire a copy of the game...

Also, how do u guys feel about making everyone play in the same conference (either east or west) ? It might be nice to have more user v user games. Just an idea...
We considered it...but then it guarantees a Stanley Cup Final against a CPU team (though, to be fair...that's what we just had anyway). Plus, if you're forcing half the league to have random rosters AND not play as their favorite team...it really might drag us down. I guess the idea is that playing the CPU shouldn't suck as much if the teams are more even and you're not missing 3-5 players a game. Theoretically anyway...haha.

Unless anyone is drastically opposed to those settings choices, I could set the league up tonight (no need to wait on the trading deadline rosters if we're using random rosters anyway). For some stupid reason, I'm almost excited about the possibility of random teams and the original tuner set...meh, maybe it's just gas.

All right, the new league is set up. I sent everybody an "invite" except mvp because I don't think I've got him on my friends list. Either way, people will have to look up the league though (again, bang up job, EA). Just search for "No God No" and you shouldn't have any trouble finding it, lol.

I'm also proud of myself for remembering the convoluted system for using updated rosters...since you have to go to Roster Management -> Download Roster, and then get the most up to date roster from there. So, our rosters are from 2/14. Then, they were randomized. The funny this is, even though you can't look at rosters when you first create the league, there was already a team tweet saying that Calgary was looking to trade Pavel Datsyuk, haha.

Anyway, I advanced us to the first section of games to make sure everything looked good. It's crazy seeing completely different teams and stars in different places. I'm not 100% sure how balanced these are. Some teams seem like they were a bit luckier than others...but it's probably parity than the real rosters. I can say for myself that my 3rd line forwards are about what my 1st line forwards were before, haha.

Despite getting crap at goalie (I think I got Alex Auld as my backup goalie, despite him having retired) I am intrigued with the team I got. A top line of Oshie-Couture-Chris Stewart, which I'm excited about.

Just loading up the game now to join. I'm liking the random rosters already.

Edit. I can't find the league no matter how I type No God No. Keeps saying no league exists.

Edit 2: Its "No God Please"

Just loading up the game now to join. I'm liking the random rosters already.

Edit. I can't find the league no matter how I type No God No. Keeps saying no league exists.

Edit 2: Its "No God Please"
Oh, wow...does it actually only use the first 3 words for the search criteria? *sigh* I don't know why I would have expected more from EA. I just figured No God No would be quicker to type. My bad. Although, I'm going to guess that just searching for "No God" might pull it up, haha.

No idea why I didn't think to type No God. Lol. I asked to join, just waiting approval.
I'll try to get on later tonight to accept it (just accepted sendme's like 30 minutes before your first post). I'm putting NHL in way more than I'd like to, haha...but I want everybody to get a chance to see how their team shaped up. For whatever reason, it does seem to make things APPEAR like they'll be more fun. It should open up trading a bit too since we won't be as attached to players.

Ok, so we're off and running with trade proposals. If anybody has any problems with these...speak now or forever hold your wang. And in general, I think salary considerations should be very small factors. EA did a total shit job balancing rosters in terms of salary. One team has as much as $18M in cap space....while another only has $40K. Seems reasonable. Also...positionally, they did a pretty terrible job too. Some teams have only one LW and like ten RW, lol. E...A....Sports...

Anyway, here are the proposals:

Trade #1

Chicago sends

Radko Gudas, D, 76 OVR, 23 years old

retains $200K

Tampa Bay sends

Nick Holden, D, 75 OVR, 26 years old

Trade #2

Colorado sends

David Clarkson, RW, 83 OVR, 29 years old

Dallas sends

Lauri Korpikoski, LW, 82 OVR, 27 years old

Trade #3

Nashville sends

Jan Hejda, D, 82 OVR, 35 years old

Calgary sends

Wojtek Wolski, LW, 81 OVR, 27 years old

Trade #4

Tampa Bay sends

Mikko Koivu, C, 87 OVR, 30 years old

Carolina sends

Valterri Filppula, C, 85 OVR, 29 years old

Already talking trades and we haven't even started?  I haven't even been able to look at who I have for St. Louis other than my top line that's listed when I sent the request.  I would've thought we would at least play a week or 2 before starting trades.

Some rosters are fairly unbalanced. Speaking for me personally, I have 7 defensemen 82 or above...while I've got a 3rd line forward who is a 79. So, one of my 82 d-men is always scratched...but I'm counting on forwards who are not as skilled. Had the game allowed us to do a legitimate fantasy draft, I'm sure you wouldn't have seen this. I invite you to look through all the rosters and see what I'm talking about. It's pretty astonishing that the game doesn't even have simple position requirements.

Another change that was talked about tonight was playing ALL games against human opponents. The Eastern conference didn't have many teams as it was when we finished. Boston is now gone. And mvp (Detroit) just let us know that his hours at work have changed and he won't be able to play another season. So, that leaves jza1218 (NY Rangers) and Vulcan7905 (Tampa Bay) as our only teams in the East. If twick rejoins, that would give us a 3rd team...but even still...that's a lot of CPU games for those guys. 

The basic thought is to just focus on games vs human opponents, and if you feel like playing your CPU games, you can. Probably no hard requirement there. It won't really guarantee that we all play the same number of games, but at this point...just trying to have fun needs to be the bigger focus anyway. If anybody else has any ideas, feel free to suggest them.

I like the idea of only having to play other people and playing the CPU as an option. I'll look to night to see how my roster looks. I think I'm close to cap. I did notice I have Crosby and I might put him on the trading block as odd as it sounds. I want to get a few games in before I do. I might even try and trade some of the Ufa players during the season if everyone is okay with that. I got screwed over in 13 with them. I wasn't able to keep up with it and when we attempted a second season most were gone.

Wow, lots of early morning hockey talk. But yeah, the player balancing was really off. No issues with the proposed trades from me.

St Louis is actually pretty stacked IMO, even if you got rid of Crosby, you would have a lot good players left.

Yeah, I need to go and look at my roster again. I don't really recall having the depth to make a big deal, but I think I had a ton of centers, so maybe there's something there. Probably just use my free cap space on some one-year rentals.

I've got a pair of third-line centers on the block (one is rated 81, the other is rated 80) if anyone has a need and a comparable left winger (I actually have just one on my roster). I'd also take back a higher priced player or one who is a UFA if he is rated a bit higher.

I think I'm one of the few teams who has all positions filled up. I also have Teddy Puurrrrrcell  on the trading block. Thinking of dealing Zach Praise as well. It cost so much to bring Drounin up to the big leagues. Hopefully I can get him into beast mode ASAP.

I think I'm one of the few teams who has all positions filled up. I also have Teddy Puurrrrrcell on the trading block. Thinking of dealing Zach Praise as well. It cost so much to bring Drounin up to the big leagues. Hopefully I can get him into beast mode ASAP.
Gary, I should have the cap space now if you're actually interested in doing the Marty/Parise deal.

I will be so glad when I get home to see how St. Louis looks. Other than my ability to play the only issue I has was goaltending last year. I played some hut the other day and halak was even worse. I know for the league I was close to cap.

I have to see my cap space when I get help me Nate. I know I'm pretty short it.

Reading a couple forums, if I put Drounin on a good line, He will be better than Crosby in no time. I have great hopes for this league.

Not much room on cap. As long as we are doing trades I'm wondering what everyone thinks about me trading brodeur for quick. I'm sure most won't like it so what will I have to for to make it work?

Not much room on cap. As long as we are doing trades I'm wondering what everyone thinks about me trading brodeur for quick. I'm sure most won't like it so what will I have to for to make it work?
Remind me who has Quick again? I'm assuming it's a CPU team. Since trades have to be formally approved in game by the commissioner anyway, what we were doing last night is just submitting a trade to the CPU to see what they say. If I had to guess, they'll probably tell you to piss off with that offer, lol. The CPU is very stingy. You're welcome to explore things and see what they'll accept though.

I think the only limitation we talked about though going back to last season was trading players for draft picks and not having more than one draft pick involved in trading for a player. Considering how late in the year it is, I'm not sure if we'd want to revise that at all...but right now, that's the only real area I'd be concerned with people taking advantage of. Anybody trying to give Phoenix something like 2 1st round picks for Ovechkin is going to be ostracized in here fairly quickly. As long as we're all being reasonable, hopefully there won't be too many problems.

You're going to have to outbid me to get him. How do we settle it when more than one person wants the same player and that player is on a CPU team?

You're going to have to outbid me to get him. How do we settle it when more than one person wants the same player and that player is on a CPU team?
That is an excellent question...and I...don't know....? lol. Open to suggestions here.

Also, sorry about missing your message on XBL, Matt. I was off and on throughout the night. Then, we started getting freezing rain/snow and I lost power for a couple minutes. Then we played NHL. Then we cat burgled somebody in Rust. Just all kinds of action going on, haha. Hope that didn't mess you up too much.

I'd imagine we could see if the AI would take both offers and then go from there, since Nate has ultimate veto power anyway.

It's Ottawa that has Quick, and gave me a green check for it so I'm guessing it's good.  I didn't know how we were working trades against the CPU on here.  Also for the teams I have to play it has to be tomorrow or depending on the time today unless we can go Sunday.  I'm leaving for Nashville on Thursday and wont be back till Saturday some time.  I did set it up for play against CPU if needed however not long after that all the games listed disappeared.  I can be on today some time after 3p.m. central however I have to have the games done by 6.

EDIT:  I just had a thought on how we can deal with more than one person wanting to make a trade for a player.  At least when it comes to a player that would normally be on their team.  Let that player have first dibs.  If they don't want them then anyone else can try and get them.  That way if any of use have players that are actually on our team in the NHL and we would like them back we don't have to worry about anyone else trading for them.  Now for situations not like this we will have to come up with something else.  I think cases like this, this is the best way to deal with it as I'm sure all of us have players we would like back.

I'm fine with the idea of both of us making offers. First, I have to see my roster. It only shows the 3 top players. I only sent the join request last night.

And no problem, Nate. I was able to get my Madden game in as planned.

Given he plays for la I say he's yours. After I make a deal for a goaltender I'm going after petro. I think he's currently on a CPU team.

If we're playing with random rosters, giving people first dibs on their former players doesn't make any sense to me. It should be a free market, whoever makes the best offer should get the player, assuming the AI accepts it.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of giving people dibs either. I also understand people having favorite players or wanting particular players, but we should embrace the randomness of the rosters too. Having a new mix of players should be part of the fun of the new league.

Also, it was discussed and mostly agreed upon last night, at least until we get close to the trading deadline, there should be NO trades involving draft picks. Considering all factors, there is a significant likelihood that we only play one season. So, allowing anybody to use a draft pick to get their trade to pass is essentially gaming the system until we know differently. Making everybody trade player for player keeps us all honest.

So as long as its to the CPU and the CPU accepts it and doesn't have a draft pick we don't have to post it?

So as long as its to the CPU and the CPU accepts it and doesn't have a draft pick we don't have to post it?
No. After the CPU accepts it, you still need to post it just to make sure nobody has a problem with it. That's what was done with all the trades on the last page (several of which were CPU trades). I have a feeling people will be fairly liberal with trades...but everyone still needs to be aware of what's going on, and make sure nothing ridiculous is happening.

Okay. I'll take a look at some things tonight unless south park keeps my away. Ill post some of the trades tonight.

So, in real life hockey, the Kings have acquired Marion Gaborik. It is not known yet who is leaving L.A. This could be a great acquisition if Gaborik gets healthy.

Ok, everybody should now be in the league. So, feel free to start playing games. Remember, CPU games are at your discretion. I played one against Minnesota just to test my team out, and yeah...it's nice having some scorers for a change, haha (wish the real Preds would figure this out).

Also...I approved all of the trades that had been posted in this thread...but I'm not seeing any acknowledgment of them afterward. Do they not actually go through until the next schedule period? I thought it said something about being ready for the "next game", and that's part of the reason I played my game against Minnesota...but even after that, I still see no difference. Maybe there just weren't enough trades last season for me to remember how they work.

Anyway...cautiously optimistic, haha. So good, so far.

EDIT - Nevermind, I just "redid" my trade and it does say "next game period". It just seemed really odd that the players were still available for both teams and could even be traded for again. I don't even want to know what would happen if somebody else tried to trade for a player that had already been traded. The game would probably explode.

When are we advancing?  I wont be able to play till maybe late Saturday.  I'm not sure about tonight as I have things that I have to do before i go out of town.

Well, Matt just got into the league today. So, if we counted 5 days from today. That would still give you Saturday and Sunday to play. Does that sound reasonable to everybody? That would make the deadline (last day to play) Sunday, 3/9.

Man, the real life Predators traded their first ever 1st round draft pick...all the way back in 1998, David Legwand, today. That is cold, man. I mean, it's definitely a move for the future. Legwand will be 34 before next season starts...and Jarnkrok has put up pretty good numbers in the AHL. But I really hope he pans out, because Eaves and the 3rd round pick are basically throwaways. And Legwand was a fan favorite. I hate to see him go. But if it actually improves the team moving forward, then these are moves they have to make.

bread's done
Back