CAGs prolly do this already, but still...

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/bi/confessions/archives/008833.asp

Great story.

This goes hand in hand with my rant a few months ago about Circuit City not giving me a refund for a DOA laptop, but instead wanted to charge me 15% for an item that was broken out of the box. Bitch enough and threaten them with some legal mumbo-jumbo, and they crack like eggs. Also helps to have a girlfriend who is calling their corporate and bitching the HELL out of their PR/CS department.

I've done that before but just taken the then sealed copy to either

A) Another store location

or

B) A store that doesn't require a reciept

Either way, yeah the policy is retarded. Then again if the alternative is paying an additional $3 so that I can return the game in the event of a scratch or defect, fuck it, I'll take a little shit from a stupid clerk. I can take it, and respond in spades.

[quote name='Stuka']Either way, yeah the policy is retarded. Then again if the alternative is paying an additional $3 so that I can return the game in the event of a scratch or defect, fuck it, I'll take a little shit from a stupid clerk. I can take it, and respond in spades.[/quote]

That $3 "video game insurance" is nothing short of extortion.

[quote name='Vegan']That $3 "video game insurance" is nothing short of extortion.[/QUOTE]

On some games, it's a decent idea. For example, I got it for my Guitar Hero, just in case I broke it by whatever means. (Example: Thinking I'm Jimi Hendrix and setting it on fire. Weirder things have happened.) That was worth it, imho. For most games though, it's BS.

Game insurance is a joke. I should pay a store so that I'm protected if they sell me a defective product? That's as bad as those replacement policies. I'll tell you what, I'll save my money, and if my product breaks, you'll either give me a refund or I won't buy another product from your store. Though, you start to run out of stores after awhile.

I loved this story. I normally just take my closed copy to another store, but I might try this. He's right. Sorry, if you want to hold to a stupid policy. He found a perfect work around. Stores can't have it both ways.

Sadly every store I've dealt with around me follows intelligent procedure and opens up the new game/movie if they exchange it. Last time I had to do so, exchanged Thundercats at Best Buy due to the first disc skipping, and she ripped open the shrink wrap before handing me the new one. No complaints since it makes perfect sense from their perspective.

When I found this on digg.com, someone quoted some....legalise that had to do with the consumer/retailer relationship, and essentially said that if you get a faulty product, you are entitled to an exchange or refund. It might even have included a clause stating that the store is obligated to ensure that any extra hurdles you might have gone through be compensated as well.

At any rate, I need to get that law and PRINT IT OUT, laminate it, and keep it in my wallet at all times, I've decided. That way if they try anything funny, I can hold up the fact that the law supercedes their ridiculous store policy.

I think it's stupid that they get rid of shrinkwrap since there's now the "threat" of people copying their games/movies/etc. That shouldn't be the store's concern. I know it is since it could potentially kill their profits, but the percentage of people with the know how AND the time to do it is so amazingly small, and I doubt it will get larger as time passes.

Oh well. You shouldn't be locked in, ever, with any purchase. If I buy a game and it has a scratch, I want a damn refund, end of story. The fact that you can offer me an exchange doesn't alter the fact that I WANT A REFUND.

I like stories about customers not letting the store screw them over. I'll keep that law in mind... sounds pretty good to carry that around considering that it's a guaranteed victory.

I bought Day of Defeat: Source and it doesn't run on my PC. My PC more than meets the requirements, but it lags like a mofo, even when I am hosting a game with no one in it.

The only game I've ever had trouble returning anywhere was at Best Buy one time when Diablo 2 first came out. It was the last copy on the shelf, and I didn't really look too closly to make sure the seal had been tampered with.

Sure enough, when I got it home and opened it, I discovered that someone had not only opened it and taken the D2 game out, but had replaced it with the Diablo 1 game. So, somewhere some guy got Diablo 2 at the bargain price of Diablo 1, and I got screwed.

Anyway, when I went to return it, they were all "You gotta return this item for the same item" crap, but they had no more Diablo 2 in stock, so the stupid clerk was trying to give me Diablo 1, which was the problem in the first place. The stupid clerk kept saying that over and over and I kept saying "You ain't got any in stock, now gimmie my cash back!" Finally after about 15 minutes I yelled out real loud "I THINK I NEED TO SEE A MANAGER ABOUT YOUR ATTITUDE!!"

Manager came over, gave me my cash, and out I walked.

Yeah, just found the digg entry and I'm reposting the "law" that is stated. I put quotations around law cuz I'm not sure if it's accurate, but if you repeat it verbatim you'd still have the person running the store give in.

Here's the law from the UK:
You have the right to your goods that are fit for the purpose for which they are sold, free of defect, and this is for a 'reasonable' period of time (depends on the item you bought). If they're not, you have the right to a replacement, repair or refund (of your choice, not the store's). Store policy cannot override this law, and mentioning the 'sales of goods act' is usually a good way to get your way.

Obviously this only applies if you've not damaged it yourself, and the defects were there when purchased (though they don't need to have been apparent at time of purchase, they might not surface till days or weeks later).

If they give a refund, it's illegal to charge a 'restocking fee' or anything like that. Similarly, you don't have to accept store vouchers, and they can't force you to take them.

If you bought something that you simply don't like then all this doesn't apply either.

If you bought it over the internet, by phone or by post, then you have 7 days to check the goods over (different act to the one above). If you don't want them (for any reason, you don't have to say), you can return them for a full refund. The cost of postage may be up to you, I can't remember exactly.

A lot of stores think they over-counter signs (like "we don't give refunds") are above the law - they're not. Also, items in sales or reduced are subject to the same laws, even if they say "no refunds" or "as seen". If any defects are clearly marked then you can't use those to get a refund/replacement/repair as you knew about them at the time you bought them.

And then the clause from a US law:

According to the United States Consumer Protection Act Section 13 of Category 2 (Sale of Products and Provision of Services):

"In case of any defect, flaw, or imperfection on a product, upon request and by option of the consumer the trader is obliged to replace the defective/flawed product[...], return the amount of money paid and compensate for the actual reasonable cost of return of such defective/flawed product, or repair the defect at the trader's expense. [...] If the consumer detects a hidden defect or flaw [not able to be seen at time of purchase],the request should be submitted within eight days [...].

[quote name='Strell']http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/bi/confessions/archives/008833.asp

Great story.

This goes hand in hand with my rant a few months ago about Circuit City not giving me a refund for a DOA laptop, but instead wanted to charge me 15% for an item that was broken out of the box. Bitch enough and threaten them with some legal mumbo-jumbo, and they crack like eggs. Also helps to have a girlfriend who is calling their corporate and bitching the HELL out of their PR/CS department.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, but Circuit City was completely right in your situation. That thread turned into a flamewar and got closed though, so I never got to say that.

Piracy concerns are a bit overblown, IMO. My fiancee is a huge Sims fan. I always kept her current with whatever add-on pack came out. With the Sims, it requires the CD to be in the machine to run. We misplaced the CD (1 of 2 of a set) and couldn't run the game. I contacted EA asking for a replacement copy of just disc 1 (which would be useless without disc 2 to install). I offered to send a copy or original of my product key or do whatever they wanted me to do. I even offered to send a scan of all the Sims products with store receipts.

They of course said buy the game again.

I went to WalMart, bought the game again, hid the rest of the copies, took out disc one and returned it for my money back. I hated to do something dishonest, but I felt like I was pushed to it, like I was being punished for someone else's actions.

This is why I'm afraid to buy anything used these days... chances are the game's defective and if used, there's no guarantee unless you bought it from a store.

this happened to me with one of the Super Star Wars games for the Snes-- there was a flying portion that always froze. I kept bringing it back and they'd get a new one, take the plastic off, and hand it to me. After the 6th time, they finally gave me a refund. I was young, so I didn't argue like this guy, just kept persisting with the broken copies :)

but yeah, that's a hole in their policy.

and games used to work. Now with the 360 on the scene, they may want to make exceptions. what the hell is up with this system...every game that comes out has some horrible glitch.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm sorry, but Circuit City was completely right in your situation. That thread turned into a flamewar and got closed though, so I never got to say that.[/QUOTE]

No, they weren't. If you get a broken item, you want a refund. I went through this with Michealvortega, who said multiple times "OMFG WHY NOT JUST GET A RETURN." Because I'm a customer, that's why. It doesn't matter if there's an option for a return. I want a refund. The guy in the story got a broken game and wanted a refund because he'd get the SAME BROKEN GAME.

Issue is no different here.

Arguing with people like you was tiresome. I wasn't wrong. I got something DOA. Explain to me why you think I ought to lose 15% in the return.

You'd want the same thing if you were in the same situation. "Hi we can give you the same POS or you can lose $120." fuck that.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm sorry, but Circuit City was completely right in your situation. That thread turned into a flamewar and got closed though, so I never got to say that.[/QUOTE]

No they weren't. Strell was completely in the right. fuck off.

strell, you're pathetic, have you looked in the mirror latley, you look like a chick that dressed up like a man.what a horrific picture you got there. as far as your return, you want a refund, too bad, once you buy something from the store you agree to the store's policy, it's a contract, nobody is obligating you to buy anything. refund is not an option for an open product, the chance that a new product is damaged are less then that you will pirate it.

[quote name='Strell']No, they weren't. If you get a broken item, you want a refund. I went through this with Michealvortega, who said multiple times "OMFG WHY NOT JUST GET A RETURN." Because I'm a customer, that's why. It doesn't matter if there's an option for a return. I want a refund. The guy in the story got a broken game and wanted a refund because he'd get the SAME BROKEN GAME.

Issue is no different here.

Arguing with people like you was tiresome. I wasn't wrong. I got something DOA. Explain to me why you think I ought to lose 15% in the return.

You'd want the same thing if you were in the same situation. "Hi we can give you the same POS or you can lose $120." fuck that.[/QUOTE]

Not every single copy of the game had the glitch though. There was a chance he would get a working copy, but instead he didnt like the game so he wanted a refund.

When I bought Battle for Middle Earth I tried to install it many times but it kept getting an error at the same spot on disc 2. I saw on the internet that it was a known bug. I went and exchanged it and wouldnt you know it, the new copy WORKED.

The point is, he could have gotten another copy then if that didnt work exchanged it again. They werent charging him to do so, therefore he had no reason not to try another copy of the game. He decided to get a crappy game without checking the reviews first so thats his fault.

[quote name='whoknows']Not every single copy of the game had the glitch though. There was a chance he would get a working copy, but instead he didnt like the game so he wanted a refund.

When I bought Battle for Middle Earth I tried to install it many times but it kept getting an error at the same spot on disc 2. I saw on the internet that it was a known bug. I went and exchanged it and wouldnt you know it, the new copy WORKED.

The point is, he could have gotten another copy then if that didnt work exchanged it again. They werent charging him to do so, therefore he had no reason not to try another copy of the game. He decided to get a crappy game without checking the reviews first so thats his fault.[/QUOTE]

New spin on this- I think whoever published this game should be aparely at fault. When we get word of bad product in my store, we pull it, and we put up notices telling people they cna return said product- a 'recall'.

Why, if these bugs are known, is there no recall? The publisher should at least be telling retailers "Yeah, we know about the bug, so take returns on buggy copies." They could even send out a memory card with an approriate save file, so stores could check for the bug (if they wanna be that anal.) I think for mass known defects like this, the publsiher needs to take the bit- then maybe stores can be a lil' less anal.

[quote name='expensiveyD']strell, you're pathetic, have you looked in the mirror latley, you look like a chick that dressed up like a man.what a horrific picture you got there. as far as your return, you want a refund, too bad, once you buy something from the store you agree to the store's policy, it's a contract, nobody is obligating you to buy anything. refund is not an option for an open product, the chance that a new product is damaged are less then that you will pirate it.[/quote]

Highly insightful first post.........or something......Oh wait - no

[quote name='expensiveyD']strell, you're pathetic, have you looked in the mirror latley, you look like a chick that dressed up like a man.what a horrific picture you got there. as far as your return, you want a refund, too bad, once you buy something from the store you agree to the store's policy, it's a contract, nobody is obligating you to buy anything. refund is not an option for an open product, the chance that a new product is damaged are less then that you will pirate it.[/QUOTE]

bololol!!! I can't believe you think that's his actual picture!

[quote name='whoknows']Not every single copy of the game had the glitch though. There was a chance he would get a working copy, but instead he didnt like the game so he wanted a refund.
[/QUOTE]

When new games run $50, getting one that you think is complete ass is a valid reason for a refund. That's why I buy most of my games at Rhino, they still have an open-game return policy for that very reason.

I definitely don't agree with this "piracy is more common than a defective product" nonsense. I do not appreciate being lumped into a category with criminals. If I am not satisfied with something, I should be able to return it.

If stores and manufacturers are so concerned about piracy, then why manufacture and market the materials that make piracy possible?

Ha, that's pretty good. Manager fucked up by not opening it when he handed the new copy to the guy. I could see myself pulling that sort of thing if the manager had pissed me off with his attitude.

Strell if I recall correctly you told me that I was an idiot for comparing your situation with a laptop to a similar situation with a game and yet you come back and compare it to that.

[quote name='Qui-Gon Jim']Piracy concerns are a bit overblown, IMO. My fiancee is a huge Sims fan. I always kept her current with whatever add-on pack came out. With the Sims, it requires the CD to be in the machine to run. We misplaced the CD (1 of 2 of a set) and couldn't run the game. I contacted EA asking for a replacement copy of just disc 1 (which would be useless without disc 2 to install). I offered to send a copy or original of my product key or do whatever they wanted me to do. I even offered to send a scan of all the Sims products with store receipts.

They of course said buy the game again.

I went to WalMart, bought the game again, hid the rest of the copies, took out disc one and returned it for my money back. I hated to do something dishonest, but I felt like I was pushed to it, like I was being punished for someone else's actions.[/QUOTE]

wow youre a dumbass... you lose a disc and act liked it was maxis that pused you and were being punished to do this? You fucked up, plain and simple... dont point hte finger at anyone else.

[quote name='m0dem']Strell if I recall correctly you told me that I was an idiot for comparing your situation with a laptop to a similar situation with a game and yet you come back and compare it to that.[/QUOTE]

Well, thank goodness my memory doesn't recall that.

[quote name='expensiveyD']strell, you're pathetic, have you looked in the mirror latley, you look like a chick that dressed up like a man.what a horrific picture you got there. [/quote]
uh... do you like the picture of me dressed up as batman? :lol:

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']Highly insightful first post.........or something......Oh wait - no[/QUOTE]

He's a hardcore internet badass. And just look at that impeccable logic! I'd better be careful though, he might start thinking that (with this avatar) Strell has two accounts.

that is indeed accurate (atleast in california)
we worked through several cases where that law could be tested in a law class a while back.

the most beneficial use of that law is in buying a new car from a dealer.
in fact when you sign and accept the manufacturer warranty you are voiding the implied consumer warranty ( i forget what its exactly called)

the only problem with that is when attempting to use it the specific place of purchase is responsible. for example "long beach toyota"

make sure you keep your reciepts though.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Yeah, just found the digg entry and I'm reposting the "law" that is stated. I put quotations around law cuz I'm not sure if it's accurate, but if you repeat it verbatim you'd still have the person running the store give in.

Here's the law from the UK:
You have the right to your goods that are fit for the purpose for which they are sold, free of defect, and this is for a 'reasonable' period of time (depends on the item you bought). If they're not, you have the right to a replacement, repair or refund (of your choice, not the store's). Store policy cannot override this law, and mentioning the 'sales of goods act' is usually a good way to get your way.

Obviously this only applies if you've not damaged it yourself, and the defects were there when purchased (though they don't need to have been apparent at time of purchase, they might not surface till days or weeks later).

If they give a refund, it's illegal to charge a 'restocking fee' or anything like that. Similarly, you don't have to accept store vouchers, and they can't force you to take them.

If you bought something that you simply don't like then all this doesn't apply either.

If you bought it over the internet, by phone or by post, then you have 7 days to check the goods over (different act to the one above). If you don't want them (for any reason, you don't have to say), you can return them for a full refund. The cost of postage may be up to you, I can't remember exactly.

A lot of stores think they over-counter signs (like "we don't give refunds") are above the law - they're not. Also, items in sales or reduced are subject to the same laws, even if they say "no refunds" or "as seen". If any defects are clearly marked then you can't use those to get a refund/replacement/repair as you knew about them at the time you bought them.

And then the clause from a US law:

According to the United States Consumer Protection Act Section 13 of Category 2 (Sale of Products and Provision of Services):

"In case of any defect, flaw, or imperfection on a product, upon request and by option of the consumer the trader is obliged to replace the defective/flawed product[...], return the amount of money paid and compensate for the actual reasonable cost of return of such defective/flawed product, or repair the defect at the trader's expense. [...] If the consumer detects a hidden defect or flaw [not able to be seen at time of purchase],the request should be submitted within eight days [...].[/QUOTE]

I don't get it... the game has flaws, how is this the store's problem? He dosen't want the same game, maybe he should contact the publisher?

It's not like the store pressed bad copies, or the store made the game have game crippling bugs.

[quote name='Roufuss']I don't get it... the game has flaws, how is this the store's problem? He dosen't want the same game, maybe he should contact the publisher?

It's not like the store pressed bad copies, or the store made the game have game crippling bugs.[/QUOTE]
If I buy a desk from OfficeMax, attempt to put it together, and find that some of the pieces are not designed properly, I take it back to OfficeMax and they either refund my money or give me an exchange. Unless I'm outside of the return period, then I have to rely on a manufacturer's warranty. The only difference with a game is that there is the possibility you made an illegal copy of the game before returning it as "defective."

If you contact the publisher of a game, they'll probably offer to give you a new game, which is not what you want. Since you didn't pay them for the game, they aren't going to give you your money back (unless they are an incredibly consumer-focused company).

[quote name='Strell']http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/bi/confessions/archives/008833.asp

Great story.

This goes hand in hand with my rant a few months ago about Circuit City not giving me a refund for a DOA laptop, but instead wanted to charge me 15% for an item that was broken out of the box. Bitch enough and threaten them with some legal mumbo-jumbo, and they crack like eggs. Also helps to have a girlfriend who is calling their corporate and bitching the HELL out of their PR/CS department.[/QUOTE]

I remember that rant, it was quite interesting and informative! But most people don't give me problems, I don't know why?

[quote name='Logain8955']On some games, it's a decent idea. For example, I got it for my Guitar Hero, just in case I broke it by whatever means. (Example: Thinking I'm Jimi Hendrix and setting it on fire. Weirder things have happened.) That was worth it, imho. For most games though, it's BS.[/QUOTE]

I also bought the insurance on this game and did break my controller, I will be taking it back to eb very very soon and getting them to get me another!

To all those arguing.....

argue0912045by.jpg

I love that story...it should be up to the manager to make rare exeptions it should be a part of there managment job.

Funny as hell that he pulled that right in that guys face and said 'my policy is'
classic.

[quote name='Roufuss']I don't get it... the game has flaws, how is this the store's problem? He dosen't want the same game, maybe he should contact the publisher?

It's not like the store pressed bad copies, or the store made the game have game crippling bugs.[/QUOTE]

They are the ones carrying the product. They're the ones who sold it to the customer.

Why do you even have to ask?

[quote name='wubb']Ha, that's pretty good. Manager fucked up by not opening it when he handed the new copy to the guy. I could see myself pulling that sort of thing if the manager had pissed me off with his attitude.[/quote]

Actually, since almost all return policies will refund you in your exact payment type, if the manager was quick, he could have given him back the busted game he brought in, since it was technically the payment for the sealed copy.

[quote name='expensiveyD']eldad
tafsik lebalbel et habeytzim[/QUOTE]

Hey buddy, just because you come from a country where it's socially acceptable not to take responsibility for your actions doesn't mean it's fine in the civilized world.

bread's done
Back