California wants online retailers to collect taxes

Ugh.

Even if this is legally permissible, it comes down to whether the state will make more off tax from consumer purchases versus the loss in business tax from the thousands of small businesses that will relocate outside of the state. The legislature better hope it gambled correctly.

[quote name='DANIEL']this also means Tiger direct.com right?

this sucks. Amazon was my favorite store for everything[/QUOTE]

yes, they will be affected in a similar way

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']This is better than the Toys R Us deal!!! Thanks OP!![/QUOTE]

Anytime!

Amazon fought it as long as it could. I say that if you have prime or can get free shipping you should buy from them anyways since you are paying tax either way.

And OT, your avatar is disturbing and is going to give me nightmares.

Ever since amazon started charging tax here in Ny, my purchases at amazon has been more reluctant. Newegg still does not charge tax for NY customers but their selections and prices aren't amazon either.

"Both Amazon and Overstock have told affiliates that they would have to move to another state if they wanted to continue earning commissions for referring customers.

Many of about 25,000 affiliates in California, especially larger ones with dozens of employees, are likely to leave the state, said Rebecca Madigan, executive director of trade group Performance Marketing Assn. The affiliates combined paid $152 million in state income taxes last year, she pointed out."

It's gonna be tight, y'all!
:D

Looks like I'm done with Amazon.

Put in an order for Dark Souls a couple weeks ago, haven't been charged yet - will I get charged sales tax on that? If so, I'll cancel and wait for a price drop.

so they gonna charge us 7.75%, i was planning to buy home theater setup from them on black friday to save some hundreds, this is a sad story. :cry:

Although I do not live in California, Im sure Amazon will be slowly forced to charge tax for every state. I guess once the politicians see how much business Amazon gets, they see dollar signs.

[quote name='JanusZeal2']It's still a better deal than most of their gold boxes.[/QUOTE]
I chuckled at this. Then I got angry because it's true.

I moved this to the Shopping Discussion forum - for those who wonder what all the earlier comments werte about (it was in the Deals forum).

Hey OP, perhaps you should modify the title, I think everybody is missing the deal:

NOW THROUGH FRIDAY, EVERY PURCHASE ON AMAZON.COM WILL HAVE THE SALES TAX WAIVED (LIMITED TIME OFFER)

The longest deal in existence is simply coming to an end.

now that makes me wonder: if i preorder something that releases after July 1st, will Amazon charge the price without tax or with tax? The preorder price is essentially locked in, but on the other hand they are shipping the item out after the tax rule has taken effect therefore effectively being a sale that Amazon would be required to collect.

Probably just a matter of time before Illinois does this as well. Believe it's 9.75% sales tax in Chicago currently, which is basically why I never buy games in store here.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Looks like I'm done with Amazon.

Put in an order for Dark Souls a couple weeks ago, haven't been charged yet - will I get charged sales tax on that? If so, I'll cancel and wait for a price drop.[/QUOTE]

Well, it sucks a lot, but Amazon is still convenient and reasonably priced. I'll probably end up sending some non-necessities to other locations that I can pick up some time later (like my parents'), including games.

[quote name='Donut2922']now that makes me wonder: if i preorder something that releases after July 1st, will Amazon charge the price without tax or with tax? The preorder price is essentially locked in, but on the other hand they are shipping the item out after the tax rule has taken effect therefore effectively being a sale that Amazon would be required to collect.[/QUOTE]

Usually it's the worse option i.e. you will probably be charged tax, since you're not being charged until the ship date.

Hmm, according to this, Amazon's just going to drop their California associates to avoid sales tax. Bad news for those associates, but looks Amazon will still be tax free in CA.

[quote name='Vekou']God damn it, our state is so stupid. It's still the best, though...[/QUOTE]
nope Texas is still the best! No tax from newegg, amazon, buy.com, etc.

[quote name='V878']Hmm, according to this, Amazon's just going to drop their California associates to avoid sales tax. Bad news for those associates, but looks Amazon will still be tax free in CA.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interesting.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will dropping the associates affect the shipping time for when we receive the purchases we make?

bread's done
Back