California wants online retailers to collect taxes

How do you guys feel about the traffic situation in your California counties? Freeways getting expanded? Enough public transit being offered? Potholes getting filled?

hmm hard to read through all the smart ass spammers in this thread. So whats the deal, are we gonna have tax or not? Thats one of the main reasons i use Amazon. If it starts charging tax then i probably wont use them nearly as much

I see some later posts claiming they may not be doing it because they'll drop their CA partners.

Many counties rely on sales tax reciepts to expand freeways, mass transit and rehabilitate streets. Amazon (and you) benefit from good freeways and roads to ship products to your home. I'm not sure why we are off the hook in building and maintaining this vital infrastructure.

[quote name='TheRock88']Hmmm, interesting.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will dropping the associates affect the shipping time for when we receive the purchases we make?[/QUOTE]

No change on shipping time.

[quote name='Kenshindono']hmm hard to read through all the smart ass spammers in this thread. So whats the deal, are we gonna have tax or not? Thats one of the main reasons i use Amazon. If it starts charging tax then i probably wont use them nearly as much

I see some later posts claiming they may not be doing it because they'll drop their CA partners.[/QUOTE]

As of right now, there will be tax. It might change if amazon drop the partners but it hasnt happen yet

[quote name='Spokker']How do you guys feel about the traffic situation in your California counties? Freeways getting expanded? Enough public transit being offered? Potholes getting filled?[/QUOTE]
I live in Los Angeles area and no it's better. It is always crowded, the city I live in has a street called "Main Street" it is filled with pot holes, rocky and broken concrete. It is a massively busy street that feels like your going on a off road trip while on this street. Even though Amazon.com will still be cheaper then most B&M stores, I hate paying tax! CA has raised fees on everything here, just because more fat people need more AC to cool down their fur has made Edison raise the electrical rates across the board. There is a fee here to get the newest year sticker for your car, and now there is a fee to process that fee, wtf is that!

[quote name='Donutkid2222']I live in Los Angeles area and no it's better. It is always crowded, the city I live in has a street called "Main Street" it is filled with pot holes, rocky and broken concrete. It is a massively busy street that feels like your going on a off road trip while on this street.[/QUOTE]In 2008, LA County passed a half-cent sales tax measure with 2/3rds of the vote in order to fund transportation improvements in and around the county.

http://www.metro.net/projects/measurer/

By avoiding paying sales tax by shopping at Amazon and other online retailers, you avoid putting money into improving those streets.

[quote name='TheRock88']Hmmm, interesting.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will dropping the associates affect the shipping time for when we receive the purchases we make?[/QUOTE]

Not 100% sure on this, but I think affiliates are just the 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I always thought the states they had major shipping hubs in are places they charge tax (for example, I know a lot of my packages from Amazon come from Kentucky, and sure enough, they charge sales tax there).

[quote name='Spokker']Many counties rely on sales tax reciepts to expand freeways, mass transit and rehabilitate streets. Amazon (and you) benefit from good freeways and roads to ship products to your home. I'm not sure why we are off the hook in building and maintaining this vital infrastructure.[/QUOTE]

You're right. Still hurts though.

[quote name='Spokker']In 2008, LA County passed a half-cent sales tax measure with 2/3rds of the vote in order to fund transportation improvements in and around the county.

http://www.metro.net/projects/measurer/

By avoiding paying sales tax by shopping at Amazon and other online retailers, you avoid putting money into improving those streets.[/QUOTE]
Let me tell you something, the amount of welfare, public FREE offering this states gives is pretty crazy, it makes people lazy. Your saying this as if I buy everything from amazon, only electronics. I buy food, clothing, furniture, books in state, city, it is estimated they make 315 million from this tax collection from Amazon. You know why Best buy, Target get murdered in CA? They, especially Best Buy refuse to change their prices. Sunday to Sunday ads for deals that knock off $2 off headphones!? Buy a HDTV and get a cheap Dynex blu ray player, Amazon easily beats those prices by buying a HDTV and the blu ray and you still save money. These retailers are not adapting fast enough to the changing market. How about the money that goes wasted in Sacramento when these moronic congress members are voting, debating laws and use state funds for private transportation, infrastructure (Not the Captial hill builing itself). The leeches in this state, my god!

[quote name='Spokker']Many counties rely on sales tax reciepts to expand freeways, mass transit and rehabilitate streets. Amazon (and you) benefit from good freeways and roads to ship products to your home. I'm not sure why we are off the hook in building and maintaining this vital infrastructure.[/QUOTE]

Gas and income tax.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Gas and income tax.[/QUOTE]
The gas tax is woefully inadequate for even maintaining our roads and freeways. It is not indexed to inflation and politicians don't want to touch the issue of raising it. Why do you think counties enact sales tax measures?

If you drive on I-5 through Orange County, CA, that's the work of a half-cent sales tax measure. Without it, it would still be a three-lane highway.

[quote name='62t'] As of right now, there will be tax. It might change if amazon drop the partners but it hasnt happen yet[/QUOTE]

amazon already sent out notices earlier to the affiliates about having to drop them if the bill was passed-

which in an update it says that the bill has indeed now been signed. so it looks like amazon will drop the affiliates now.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2011/...tes-tweeting-amazon-threatening-to-terminate/

[quote name='Donutkid2222'] The leeches in this state, my god![/QUOTE]

right on-oh i thought you meant Chicago.

So many damn high taxes here and it never seems to be enough for them-i think were at %9.75 right now in chicago
so im sorry but ill admit i buy on amazon whenever i can

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kodave']Ugh.

Even if this is legally permissible, it comes down to whether the state will make more off tax from consumer purchases versus the loss in business tax from the thousands of small businesses that will relocate outside of the state. The legislature better hope it gambled correctly.[/QUOTE]

It didn't. This will turn out to be an extremely stupid move. Thanks a lot California.

Been paying tax in NY for awhile now. Has stopped me from making a few impulse purchases and buying more on Newegg. It's been awhile so I'm kind of used to it now though. It'll suck for Cali customers for awhile, but no more than everything else Cali has been going thru over the years. At least Amazon won't cause any rolling blackouts.

Did anyone notice at the bottom of the article in the OP about companies leaving California because of this and losing us more tax revenue? Should just leave things how they are.

I dont have a problem with tax but did they not read the news and saw what happen to Arkansas, Connecticut and Illinois?

[quote name='Doomtime']Time to move to Nevada. Thanks Jerry Brown.[/QUOTE]

F'ing Jerry and dems and unions.
Time to move to another state. What gimmick will they use to steal more money from us next year when they realize their plan backfired with all the large associates moving out of State. Another increase in car registration fee that has nothing to do with vehicles or roads or infrastructure?

[quote name='62t']I dont have a problem with tax but did they not read the news and saw what happen to Arkansas, Connecticut and Illinois?[/QUOTE]

Do you think our legislatures care about the State or its people? They're content as long as they get paid and get perks and get rich off the union bribes.

[quote name='V878']Not 100% sure on this, but I think affiliates are just the 3rd party sellers on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

No. Not 3rd party sellers, CA sellers already have to collect sales tax since they have a nexus in CA.

This is the same as NY. Affiliates are businesses or sites that make money by referring purchases to Amazon. They get a percentage of the sale on anything they refer. CAG does this to fund the site and Cheapy makes $$$ off of any purchase made on Amazon when a link from here is clicked. They did the same in Illinois a while back.

[quote name='testaroo']Do you think our legislatures care about the State or its people? They're content as long as they get paid and get perks and get rich off the union bribes.[/QUOTE]

But you see, they aren't getting paid. By dropping affiliates they no longer need to collect the sales tax since they would not have a nexus in the state. In addition, all of those CA businesses that make money as affiliates are being shut down - and they do pay taxes.

End result for CA in this is likely hundreds of millions of LOST tax revenue.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Thanks for the news OP. hopefully they don't start charging in Texas soon[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xxjonoxx']As long as Texas doesn't pull the same thing, LONG LIVE AMAZON[/QUOTE]

I hope so...but it is not looking very pretty.

[quote name='daminion']But you see, they aren't getting paid. By dropping affiliates they no longer need to collect the sales tax since they would not have a nexus in the state. In addition, all of those CA businesses that make money as affiliates are being shut down - and they do pay taxes.

End result for CA in this is likely hundreds of millions of LOST tax revenue.[/QUOTE]

They = Legislatures and Jerry Brown.
We are going to go through same shitty crap next year. More tax and more fee hikes b/c for unexpected(?) revenue decline. I tell you this State needs to go bankrupt before any serious spending cut or pension reform will ever be implemented.

What a silly construct: That every SINGLE tax increase goes DIRECTLY to roads and infrastructure and every SINGLE tax cut dooms both things. Especially in a place like California where the taxes are ALREADY considerable and the spending there is NOT just on roads and infrastructure.

[quote name='RollingSkull']What a silly construct: That every SINGLE tax increase goes DIRECTLY to roads and infrastructure and every SINGLE tax cut dooms both things. Especially in a place like California where the taxes are ALREADY considerable and the spending there is NOT just on roads and infrastructure.[/QUOTE]

Many complaints about the sales tax issue claim that the incompetent and corrupt state simply wants more tax money. I was simply pointing out one example of the local effect of sales taxes. Voters enacted them to improve things like roads, highways and public transportation, and I'm sure local commuters will appreciate some money going back into our transport networks.

But the point is that it was just one example.

The conventional wisdom is that California taxes are too high, but there is one area in which property owners really have it good.

I love how they think this will solve the budget problems of california.
The two biggest glaring problems (amongst thousands of things):
1) Stupid spending on bills (hey look at that failed Violent Video Game Bill)
2) Medical. Its so ridiculously abused and under-regulated that it is not even funny. Its literally a hit and miss with it. They'll pay for shit like vicodin no prob, but when it comes to antibiotics they'll make you jump through hoops at times.

[quote name='daminion']No. Not 3rd party sellers, CA sellers already have to collect sales tax since they have a nexus in CA.

This is the same as NY. Affiliates are businesses or sites that make money by referring purchases to Amazon. They get a percentage of the sale on anything they refer. CAG does this to fund the site and Cheapy makes $$$ off of any purchase made on Amazon when a link from here is clicked. They did the same in Illinois a while back.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up.

[quote name='Spokker']Many complaints about the sales tax issue claim that the incompetent and corrupt state simply wants more tax money. I was simply pointing out one example of the local effect of sales taxes. Voters enacted them to improve things like roads, highways and public transportation, and I'm sure local commuters will appreciate some money going back into our transport networks.

But the point is that it was just one example.

The conventional wisdom is that California taxes are too high, but there is one area in which property owners really have it good.[/QUOTE]

Prop 13 is its own freaking mess. That's part of the reasons why taxes are high in other areas.

Regardless of where and how much the state should tax, the bottom line is the legislature fucking squanders all of the money they get anyhow. I can't believe they don't lose their jobs every election until they finally start doing it right. But thats what partisan politics and general idiocy amongst those who bother to vote gets you. I can't imagine what it would be like if more people bothered to vote for these morons.

Good lord, there's a lot of fucking whining in this thread. People declaring that they're not going to shop at Amazon any more, and canceling their accounts? Having to pay the tax sucks, but take it from a New Yorker: you get over it.

It may not be as cheap as it once was, but I'll be damned if Amazon still doesn't have some great prices, even after tax.

[quote name='Spokker']How do you guys feel about the traffic situation in your California counties? Freeways getting expanded? Enough public transit being offered? Potholes getting filled?[/QUOTE]

Huh? They should get rid of the illegals and we would have plenty of money + more for those issues.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Huh? They should get rid of the illegals and we would have plenty of money + more for those issues.[/QUOTE]How much money do you think it would cost to get rid of illegals and keep them out? I doubt a wall would have stopped my grandfather.

[quote name='kodave']
Regardless of where and how much the state should tax, the bottom line is the legislature fucking squanders all of the money they get anyhow.[/QUOTE]They just passed a budget that decimates public colleges, social services and other state-supported functions. You are getting the cuts you want.

Yeah I'm not paying taxes the taxes here are ridiculous in my area its about 8.75%. Im looking to start an initiative to ban internet sales tax for companies who do not have a physical presence in California aka Amazon.

[quote name='Spokker']How much money do you think it would cost to get rid of illegals and keep them out? I doubt a wall would have stopped my grandfather.[/QUOTE]

And by not stopping your grandfather how many more illegals did he spawn?

In reality, they should just deport them, and if caught again, tossed into prison for life. No one has the right to break the law over and over again and have nothing happen to them. I get a $500 ticket for running a red light, and an illegal gets nothings. Oh, well, a bunch of free shit.

I hate California. This place is 75% illegals now and as soon as I can, I'm outta here.

[quote name='Antipodes']So... is CA really going to pay tax or does dropping the affiliates circumvent it for now?[/QUOTE]

No, Amazon dropped affilliates. No taxes.

But like I said, now people lost their job, income etc. Yay...

And I will continue not to shop at B&M retailers as much as possible. fuck California.

That's what we pay gas taxes for

This may also be true of Connecticut. Sales tax increases to 6.5% on friday and I know that forcing online retailers to collect sales tax was part of the same bill.

[quote name='GizmoGC']And by not stopping your grandfather how many more illegals did he spawn?

In reality, they should just deport them, and if caught again, tossed into prison for life. No one has the right to break the law over and over again and have nothing happen to them. I get a $500 ticket for running a red light, and an illegal gets nothings. Oh, well, a bunch of free shit.

I hate California. This place is 75% illegals now and as soon as I can, I'm outta here.[/QUOTE]

I would just like to point out that keeping people in prison is actually very expensive (considering guards, maintenance, meals, etc.). There are more efficient measures, but those are hard to utilize while maintaining the moral and ethical integrity of a "civilized" nation.

Disclaimer: I do not support or encourage any acts of "more efficient measures". :D

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I would just like to point out that keeping people in prison is actually very expensive (considering guards, maintenance, meals, etc.). There are more efficient measures, but those are hard to utilize while maintaining the moral and ethical integrity of a "civilized" nation.

Disclaimer: I do not support or encourage any acts of "more efficient measures". :D[/QUOTE]

I realize it's expensive to house them - especially since they get the best health care money can buy. I agree with more "efficient" measures.

[quote name='popsandwich']This may also be true of Connecticut. Sales tax increases to 6.5% on friday and I know that forcing online retailers to collect sales tax was part of the same bill.[/QUOTE]

CA Decreases about 1% after out BS 3 year hike.

bread's done
Back