Call of Duty 3 General Discussion

Single player is worse than cod2....I am playijng it on vet and it is the most unrealistic crap i have ever seen. I loved the sp in COD2....Thats alright though the multiplayer is like battlefield and whenever they fix ranked matches this game will be awesome. If you don't kmnow what i am talking about go to the xbx.com forums(i no its scary).

This game is a lot different from Call of Duty 2, while still holding the same key features that the past CoD games have had. The graphics are twice as good as Call of Duty 2, and the online servers hold up very well (at least for me so far). War mode makes the online multiplayer one of the best out there, and here is my description of it:

There are 3+ points on each map, and each team must fight over control of the base that is selected at that time. If, for example, the Axis team takes the base (same way as Battlefield, standing next to the flag with teammates) then they must go to the new base and capture it as well before the Allies. To win, a team must capture all 3 bases consecutively, not 2 out of 3 or whatever..all 3. And a base that is not marked as the current base cannot be captured. Each team gets to choose from (Axis/Allies):

Rifleman (1 shot rifle - Kar98k/M1 Garand) *sticks grenade to rifle and can be shot towards enemy*

Light Assault (SMGs - MP40/Thompson) *can set up mines*

Heavy Assault (Assault Rifles - B.A.R./MP44) *also sets up mines*

Medic (Shotguns - Trenchgun) *heals teammates*

Scout (Snipers - Scoped Kar98k/Springfield) *can call in artillery strikes*

Support (BFGs - MG34/.30 cal machine gun) *delivers extra ammo to teammates*

Anti-Armor (Rockets - Bazooka) *also delivers ammo to teammates*

I wouldn't call this game Battlefield, it actually looks and feels a lot more like Wolfenstein. It's fast paced, and each team has got to be aggressive to win. It's very possible to get in a 24 man room, which makes the game very tough to just come in and dominate, unless you talk to people and have a handful who know what they are doing. Also, another similarity to Battlefield and Wolfenstein, you MUST have people in almost every class to have a really effective team. A team full of snipers or medics is useless. This game is at least a strong 8.5 or higher, granted, Single Player isn't AS fun as CoD2..but it's close. Hope this helps anyone on the fence about buying this game, because it is definitely worth it.

Awesome...seems different than normal FPS online, like in CoD2 for PC you just snipe everyone or rifle em...

I'm going to be playing this all day today, so if you read this thread are a member of CAG than send me some invites please. I loved CoD2 and play in a clan/group....I haven't fired this or GoW yet, but I'm much more interested in this one as I loved loved CoD2.

Single player, so far for me, hasn't been as good as COD2's. I liked the variety of locations in COD2, like the desert, the snow, etc. In COD3, it just seems like you're fighting in bombed out villages and whatnot. I hope it gets a little more varied as I go on. I'm not saying Single Player isn't good, because it certainly is, but most of my playtime has been going online. I have only ever played 2 FPS's online regularly, Halo 2, and Wolfenstein: Tides of War. COD3's online play reminds me so much of RTCW, it's beautiful. Fast paced, quality maps for the most part, and the different classes rock.

Can anyone explain why I am not able to get a ranked match going. My friend has the same problem as me which is we join a ranked match and it is only us in the room. Player matches are no problem and many people join my room then. Is there a problem with the ranked match part of the game or is it on my end? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

COD3, and GoW are killing CoD2 online play. I but CoD2 a month or so ago. Get around to playing it online and there are few if any games going on.

[quote name='Erillian']Can anyone explain why I am not able to get a ranked match going. My friend has the same problem as me which is we join a ranked match and it is only us in the room. Player matches are no problem and many people join my room then. Is there a problem with the ranked match part of the game or is it on my end? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.[/quote]It's not just on your end, I've had a tiny bit of trouble and have heard many people say the same.

So far.. CoD3 online > Gears of War online for me

I played a few hours yesterday online and this game is really a lot of fun online. I have had few to no problems online with lag, it plays super smooth. The war mode online is complete chaos with 12 on 12 action and is a blast to play.

I love the multiplayer of the Call of Duty series, but - and this might just be me, but i can't help but feel that there is something slightly missing from this one. When you get a full group of 14-24 players there's nothing like it, but when people start dropping/leaving and you're group is now only 6 people then the fun greatly lessens as the levels are just a bit too big (kind of an oxymoron for this game as this is what everybody wanted). It's probably me, but I loved just about every level of CoD2's multiplayer, while in this one I can already see which maps I'm going to hate. In this game it feels more balanced based on the various skill sets of characters, but certain weapons feel uneven such as the automatics this time around. they've also nerfed the pistol and slowed it down a bit. If anybody even got within 10 feet of me I used to be able to just run circles around 'em (Serious Sam style) and blow them away. By making the levels so vast they have fixed the issue of people using m1's/snipers, but that is what I loved about CoD2. oh well, it's still a very good game. Probably I just need to get used to it. Haven't played single player yet.

Oh by the way, vanilla gorilla send me a request.

I want this game so bad... but the big map thing doesn't impress me. I don't know who the heck would want big maps on CoD multiplayer...who was complaining about that? Man I love the small maps...they've always been my favorite. I hope they aren't super big, wide open maps like Brecourt or Omaha(ported from some other game...cod1 or mohaa forget) for CoD2 PC

I just started the SP campaign and love it. It is fun like CoD2, for me and is keeping me from playing GoW, SC4,MUA and FFXII. Hopefully on thursday I can get some QT with my 360 and kicks some games asses. Lord knows I could use some more nerd points. I am going to be online with all my 360 games that day too. Might be able to finish off some online NPs.

I am ready to start mission 11 next time I play. The single-player is just OK imo. For me CoD 1, it's expansion United Offensive, and CoD 2 are all much better SP experiences. CoD 3's SP seems forced. The execution of the story and cutscenes is really poor. I don't really care about the characters at all. So far I'd rate the single-player a 7/10.

I love multiplayer though. It is a great improvement over the series' previous MP efforts. The new war mode is just great, feels a lot like Day of Defeat which is NEVER a bad thing. Too bad no one can get into ranked matches yet. I have the same problem on Gears of War. I hope the respective devs get patches out soon to clean up these issues. I can't wait to jump online and have it actually count towards something.

[quote name='CitizenB']COD3, and GoW are killing CoD2 online play. I but CoD2 a month or so ago. Get around to playing it online and there are few if any games going on.[/QUOTE]

Send a friend invite to my friend THE JUDGE154

He just got Live and the only thing he plays is CoD2. Just tell him Charlie told you about him.

The game doesn't really look or feel different until after the first Polish army mission. I know they've done tanks before, but rolling around in the hills and woods, through tall grass was fucking awesome. Then the next infantry mission was in a forest and it looked spectacular. I'll have to get back into the game this week.

Anyone's surround sound mix a bit off though? It seems most every conversation is incredibly weak on the front surrounds/center and to properly hear, I have to turn my character so the audio is fed to the rear surrounds. It's a bit odd.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']

Anyone's surround sound mix a bit off though? It seems most every conversation is incredibly weak on the front surrounds/center and to properly hear, I have to turn my character so the audio is fed to the rear surrounds. It's a bit odd.[/QUOTE]

I have this problem with gears.

And here I thought there was something up with my speakers or setup. The dialogue is so quiet at times I can't really hear it but then again most of what they say I really don't care about. My main concern is I can't skip the cutscenes. Is there a way to skip the cutscenes because I've pushed every button as well as all of them together. Let me know...

[quote name='Erillian']And here I thought there was something up with my speakers or setup. The dialogue is so quiet at times I can't really hear it but then again most of what they say I really don't care about. My main concern is I can't skip the cutscenes. Is there a way to skip the cutscenes because I've pushed every button as well as all of them together. Let me know...[/quote]Nope, I get the same things on cutscenes which a bit of a pain. Good to know I'm not the only one also with sound problems. I really don't get why the mixing is so fucked up on dialogue.

[quote name='Kendal']I just started the SP campaign and love it. It is fun like CoD2, for me and is keeping me from playing GoW, SC4,MUA and FFXII. Hopefully on thursday I can get some QT with my 360 and kicks some games asses. Lord knows I could use some more nerd points. I am going to be online with all my 360 games that day too. Might be able to finish off some online NPs.[/quote]

I agree. While parts of SP seem a bit forced and I don't really like the cutscenes as you will learn to die often on Veteran, the SP isn't too bad. Similar to CoD2, but far more story oriented and a tad less open ended on the missions (meaning that it's more on a linear path with certain missions being more wide open to take on anyway you like). I just beat the game on Normal and am going to try and finish the levels on Veteran to get the achievement. you can do them in any order, right?

Oh and MP is a blast. To get into online matches you can try at night which I've been able to get into matches not bad or go into customized options and pick War. War usually only takes a couple of minutes to get into a ranked match. Player matches are just as fun and very easy to get into.

[quote name='Gauss']I'm really tempted to buy this game. Sounds extremely good.[/quote]
Great game. Really enjoying it now and you should buy it and hit me up on Live. I just got a new card so I'll probably hit it up in the next couple of days.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The game doesn't really look or feel different until after the first Polish army mission. I know they've done tanks before, but rolling around in the hills and woods, through tall grass was fucking awesome. Then the next infantry mission was in a forest and it looked spectacular. I'll have to get back into the game this week.
[/quote]
The forest level was probably my favorite. I hear it's a bitch on Veteran though.

Just got this game as a gift over the weekend. I have a couple questions

1) Has anyone's game froze yet? Mine randomly froze at the beginning of the 2nd section of the British mission.

2) Is there anyway to skip cutscenes after you've seen them. I have been saving my checkpoints, but it always loads up the first cutscene for the level before taking me where I last saved.

[quote name='asianxcore']Just got this game as a gift over the weekend. I have a couple questions

1) Has anyone's game froze yet? Mine randomly froze at the beginning of the 2nd section of the British mission.

2) Is there anyway to skip cutscenes after you've seen them. I have been saving my checkpoints, but it always loads up the first cutscene for the level before taking me where I last saved.[/QUOTE]

1.) Yea it froze on me a couple times, I just popped out the game and put it back in, no worries.

2.) Nah, this is just the game loading the level.

Kinda wierd that egm gave it low scores compared to others. By the way, Poland owns all. Even borat speaks polish in his movie.

*High Five

The map pack will have 5 maps for 800 points, thats not too bad. Any word on when the CoD 2 maps will be free or super cheap? Last i checked they were still full price.

[quote name='Raphael']Kinda wierd that egm gave it low scores compared to others. By the way, Poland owns all. Even borat speaks polish in his movie.

*High Five[/quote]
I have to agree. I like Call of Duty 3 more then Gears.

Does this patch fix the inability to join any games if you're going through a router? I don't wanna waste my time putting the game in and patching then trying to join a game if it's the same old shit.

Patch details:

Call of Duty fans,

A quick note to check in and let you know that we’re in final test for the Call of Duty 3 multiplayer Title Update and that we hope to be released to the Xbox Live community in the coming days. We really want to thank everyone again for their continued support and feedback – you have been a tremendous help.

When it propagates, the update will download automatically upon logging into Xbox Live and running Call of Duty 3. This update addresses many of the Ranked and Player Match issues that we’ve discussed over the last few weeks. While we’ve made a number of enhancements, the most significant improvement is that Ranked Matches join lobbies much faster through both Custom and Quick Match. Player Matches through Quick Match will now query a higher number of games before attempting to join, thus returning a better variety and better quality for the player.

Additionally, we’ve added some gameplay, HUD and options enhancements. For example, brightness settings will be saved across both single-player and multiplayer; players will be able to instantly punish medics who maliciously team kill and revive continuously; Auto Team Balance will remain turned on after multiple map rotations, ensuring that each team always has an equal number of players; and players will be able to select either Axis or Allies in Ranked Battle games.

These enhancements will create a more streamlined gameplay experience; however, please be aware that online play is always complicated by players with non-optimal router and connection settings – don’t hesitate to refer to Xbox Live’s “best practices” for router configurations, as it will prove helpful.

Thanks!
- COD3 Multiplayer Team

http://forums.xbox.com/8976537/ShowPost.aspx

Well it looks like the new patch worked well for me. It only took me about 1 minute to find a "quick" ranked game last night. This MP is awesome now that I can actually play ranked games.

[quote name='Raphael']Kinda wierd that egm gave it low scores compared to others. By the way, Poland owns all. Even borat speaks polish in his movie.

*High Five[/quote]

Borat speaks a mix of Hebrew and Yiddish in the film not Polish. The guy's Jewish. And Azamat speaks armenian.

Ever since the patch was released this game has been zipping along for me for the most part. Ranked matches are definitely easier to get into. I still have the occasional error/issue but overall it works splendidly.

bumping this up so I can see which CAGs have this game so I can add them. I'm pretty much all the time on this (and will be more online if I can get my damn Year Card from the GF early).

Hey Hiccuple. I play a lot also but rarely do I use a mic.

Also even though it is easier to get into ranked matches what pisses me off is when you have the whole room, the game is starting, and people leave, then no one gets into the game. That shit needs patched right thur.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Hey Hiccuple. I play a lot also but rarely do I use a mic.

Also even though it is easier to get into ranked matches what pisses me off is when you have the whole room, the game is starting, and people leave, then no one gets into the game. That shit needs patched right thur.[/quote]

I play with mic all the time. Fun to yell at people who don't know how to play....naw just messin with ya, it's just good to bark orders or to chat with the people I know.

Anyway, yaeh I've noticed that as well. My sources haven't said what they are going to do with that issue and they're not sure if it is jsut people leaving which is causing the servers to abandon the rest of the group. I think it might have to do with the mic actually since I've seen taht sometimes people will start talking at the last second and the thing glitches for some reason. Otherwise I think the patch has done the game lots good. Now I have zero issue and the longest it has ever taken me for match is when you choose one of the modes that most people don't usually play like Single Flag CTF, etc.

I'm planning on finishing the single player first before I hit up multiplayer. What I've noticed, for the most part, is that the German soldiers do not take cover very well (always have limbs showing). I also don't like the lack of variety in the levels, as it seems I'm either attacking a field or a bombed out village. Shouldn't I be destroying oilfields, repelling German advances (not just having them repel mine) and securing railways?

This is just a crazy thought I had, but could Call of Duty 4 perhaps focus on the 1940 Battle of France? even if you lose, their certainly were enough objectives and successes to have a legitimate story-based WWII game.

I got this for xmas and could only get in the first 2 levels before I had to leave. The one thing that is very apparent is the new developer, this game has no similarities to COD2 at all, its much faster paced and feels alot more arcady. I havnt tried Multi yet but I am hoping it will be decent, the new Mutli types look entertaining.

bread's done
Back