Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Gen. Discussion & Info

Very cool, I just won a free 1600 XBL point card from Super-Pretendo, so I will probably pick it up.

Bought it and at first I was meh but China Town grew on me fast. Have to get use to the rest though but I would say buy it if you play COD4 alot as it adds a good selection of maps to the rotation without limiting the maps those without the map pack got use to playing.

[quote name='mike.m']No thanks. I like my stats and don't feel the need to start new accounts when I've paid for one as it is.[/QUOTE]

My stats are great for 2 accounts, they are higher than half the people on my friends list and I haven't used one of them on CoD 4 in almost a year. I am willing to pay $30 per account I use if it keeps me entertained. I played more on my second account than my first for CoD 4 and though I doubt I will put nearly that much time into my third, I am going to the gold cross with it so I can actually stand playing the game.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']My stats are great for 2 accounts, they are higher than half the people on my friends list and I haven't used one of them on CoD 4 in almost a year. I am willing to pay $30 per account I use if it keeps me entertained. I played more on my second account than my first for CoD 4 and though I doubt I will put nearly that much time into my third, I am going to the gold cross with it so I can actually stand playing the game.[/quote]

what's the point in making more than 1 xbl account?

I have a couple of COD4 and COD5 accounts but they're free on the PSN. I think i'm going to skip the maps since cod5 is coming out with new maps this month.

This might sound odd to some of you but, I'm looking for an all knife partner. I'm currently ranked around the 200 mark for accuracy and need some people to play with. Double teaming knifes seem rather fun to me. I have no misses whatsoever and am currently trying to become the highest ranked knifer on COD4. Feel free to pm me here or send me a friend request at " I CUM BUCKETS ". Yeah, strange gamertag. I know, sorry.

[quote name='Sharp Katana']what's the point in making more than 1 xbl account?

I have a couple of COD4 and COD5 accounts but they're free on the PSN. I think i'm going to skip the maps since cod5 is coming out with new maps this month.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, it is how I keep the game fun for me and seeing as I dislike most other "big" multiplayer games that have any sort of community that plays the game left, the only option I really have is making other accounts. Like I said, it is worth it for me if I get close to a year's use of the tag, even if it is a day a week or less even.

Just bought this big and crucial must-have game, lolz. I'm not big on online console gaming, but I know that's a large component of this game. With the massive community are there still n00bs to shoot at or is it all hardcore players that have been practicing since 2007?

Its one of the easiest games to jump into online IMO. Most people who play still suck for some reason. At least the games I enter...
Then again, I don't play much hardcore. Having the map makes things real easy.

[quote name='Spades22']Its one of the easiest games to jump into online IMO. Most people who play still suck for some reason. At least the games I enter...
Then again, I don't play much hardcore. Having the map makes things real easy.[/QUOTE]

Most people suck at every game mode, it isn't just standard modes. In fact, they tend to just hide in corners in the hardcore which makes them fairly easy to kill if you are any good.

To the guy that just bought the game, I suggest playing mercenary team deathmatch, there is usually only 1 to 2 good players at a time in that room and they are just there for easy kills (I used it to work on headshots and got plenty). You will likely end up losing a decent amount of rounds since you will likely be stuck on the team with the best player and there will be 2-4 decent players on the other team, but you will get the feel for it a lot easier than playing parties like you would in any other mode besides free-for-all (which doesn't give you any sort of team experience).

I played a few rounds last night and 2XP is still active. Not that I'm complaining, but anyone know how long it'll be around? Seems to me like they should make it permanent since it takes forever to go Gold Cross (at least for someone like me who works a lot of hours, has two little kids and not tons of time for gaming).

[quote name='jdawgg76']I played a few rounds last night and 2XP is still active. Not that I'm complaining, but anyone know how long it'll be around? Seems to me like they should make it permanent since it takes forever to go Gold Cross (at least for someone like me who works a lot of hours, has two little kids and not tons of time for gaming).[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone can really answer how long it will be up, it was said it would be a weekend and has been over a week at this point. I really don't think a permanent double xp would be the best thing for them since people will stop playing once they hit 10/55 due to this. The longer it takes people to rank up, the more they will end up wanting to continue to play, but they should do it for a weekend or a week every month or so up until MW 2 comes out. That way at least once a month it should bring a decent amount of players back to CoD 4 from other games so they can take advantage of the double xp instead of just taking it in all at once and never touching the game again.

Thanks for all the info about jumping into online play at this late stage. Right now I'm working my way through the single player campaign. It's quite good - I'm especially impressed by the way your squad moves. Very immersive. The guns all feel great and I love ironsights, but the RPG-7 and grenade launchers seem a bit weak. When I put one through a window I expect to clear the room at least until the next wave comes. I also hit a transport chopper with the RPG-7 during the "All Ghillied Up" mission and it didn't go down or show any damage.

By the time I finish the single player campaign my barely-used 1-year Xbox Live subscription will be expired. #-o

[quote name='NTolerance']By the time I finish the single player campaign my barely-used 1-year Xbox Live subscription will be expired. #-o[/quote]
Kmart is going to have the 12+1 cards for $30 starting Sunday.

As for COD4...over the weekend, I re-dedicated myself to finishing the game on Veteran, and did so last night. I'm at 980/1000 right now, and I attempted the run through of the airplane mission a few times before giving up to get to bed.

I've watched a couple of youtube videos, but damn it's tough! I always get smoked right before i get to the point where you can grab more flashbangs. fuck!

[quote name='Ronin317']Kmart is going to have the 12+1 cards for $30 starting Sunday.

As for COD4...over the weekend, I re-dedicated myself to finishing the game on Veteran, and did so last night. I'm at 980/1000 right now, and I attempted the run through of the airplane mission a few times before giving up to get to bed.

I've watched a couple of youtube videos, but damn it's tough! I always get smoked right before i get to the point where you can grab more flashbangs. fuck![/quote]I'm slowly working through Veteran when I hold back the MP addiction, but I'm only 1/3 through. Apparently, I rushed through the airplane too fast cause I never saw any flashbang reloads which would be really handy. Where are they?

[quote name='jdawgg76']I'm slowly working through Veteran when I hold back the MP addiction, but I'm only 1/3 through. Apparently, I rushed through the airplane too fast cause I never saw any flashbang reloads which would be really handy. Where are they?[/quote]
They're on the bar upstairs, right before you get to the 3 guys behind the wood panel wall.

[quote name='Ronin317']They're on the bar upstairs, right before you get to the 3 guys behind the wood panel wall.[/quote]Thanks, definitely will look for them.

[quote name='NTolerance'] I also hit a transport chopper with the RPG-7 during the "All Ghillied Up" mission and it didn't go down or show any damage.
#-o[/quote]

The rpg's are kinda inaccurate and it takes 2 to take down a helicopter in single player. It's worth trying since there is an achievement for doing so. In multiplayer they are hella fun to use even if you are probably better off getting kills with your gun is most circumstances.

Just got the game again after the lackluster MP of WaW (the maps stink in comparison and use of vehicles is lame) and I'm looking for people to play with.

I'm a level 4 or 5 Prestige with current 55 rank...so yeah.

How the hell is this $60 again/still? LOL probably the only game widely available game that dropped in price then had the next game in the series come out and went back up in price.

I recently got addicted to CoD5 again after taking about 4 months off. Now i've got the itch to play 4 and after seeing these prices I wish i'd never Ebayed it way back when! I take it lots of people still are online but it's a 2 year old game still demanding full price.... Even Ebay is around $40 minus the map pack....

I know it's worth the price but it's the idea of paying for it. :D

Just FYI- there's been a rash of cheating on COD4 as of late. Among the hacks: godmode, speedhack, and noclip/flight. Fortunately IW is on to this and will patch soon.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Just FYI- there's been a rash of cheating on COD4 as of late. Among the hacks: godmode, speedhack, and noclip/flight. Fortunately IW is on to this and will patch soon.[/QUOTE]

I have still only seen it once and the guy tried to deny that he was doing it. He went like 24-2 and both of his deaths were suicides (likely ran out of ammo and then he switched weapons the second time) against me and a 5 other players who still beat the other team by 200 points. I didn't stay for the next round with him due to this, but a couple of people I played with did and they said the whole room had infinite automatic grenade launchers (no reloading). Any link to IW saying they were going to take care of this? I haven't really been keeping up with it since I only had it happen once.

I haven't experienced any cheating, othar than people getting into weird places. Sounds like it sucks though. I'll be on around 6:30. Let's play.

BEATuLKaSTPchld

[quote name='Badboyoftailoring']I haven't experienced any cheating, othar than people getting into weird places. Sounds like it sucks though. I'll be on around 6:30. Let's play.

BEATuLKaSTPchld[/QUOTE]

Getting in most of those places only requires jumping though other than the ones where you need 2 people or rockets to do it. Either way, those aren't too bad to face off against if you have deep impact on a weapon, but the "godmode" one is ridiculous (only one I came across myself).

The hacking is not super rampant, but I run into it enough that it hampers my enjoyment. It has been increasing, though.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Any link to IW saying they were going to take care of this? I haven't really been keeping up with it since I only had it happen once.[/quote]

"Heads up - A patch is in the works to elminate the cheaters in COD4 on Xbox360. Going through certification now. Cheaters days are numbered."

from the official IW twitter

I had an itch to play some COD4 so I went to my local used games store thinking I would be able to pick up a copy for cheap by trading in WaW. Unfortunately I found that new and used copies of 4 go for the same price as Waw, so basically I would have to pay more than I wanted to. I was hoping the price would be based on age, not quality.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']I had an itch to play some COD4 so I went to my local used games store thinking I would be able to pick up a copy for cheap by trading in WaW. Unfortunately I found that new and used copies of 4 go for the same price as Waw, so basically I would have to pay more than I wanted to. I was hoping the price would be based on age, not quality.[/quote]

Welcome to my world, I posted the same thing on the last page about how this dropped in price and then went back up when the sequal came out. It sucks but I suppose they are still selling. I tried to get it from Gamefly but it's low availability and after waiting a few days I jsut added and got Killzone 2 shipped.

EDIT: Well I guess it's kinda on sale at GS if you use their new 20% used 360 games coupon. That would make it $40+tax but most likely missing the map pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've definitely caught the CoD4 multiplayer bug. Thanks for the heads-up about Mercenary Team Deathmatch. I wish there were Mercenary modes for all gametypes. I usually play solo and it's dumb to be up against a whole clan.

Oh, and I really, really don't like hardcore. I'm a veteran of Counter-Strike on the PC and am fine with high-damage game mechanics, but I don't like that style of play with the slow analog sticks on the console. Hardcore mode forces camping, and I don't like to camp. It's boring and non-gratifying.

Game over for me, my system scratched the disc and it keeps getting a dirty disc error on install or when I load a game. It was my own damn fault. I sent it off to be refinished so I'm hoping it comes back playable. I need more practice before MW2 comes out.

[quote name='NTolerance']So I've definitely caught the CoD4 multiplayer bug. Thanks for the heads-up about Mercenary Team Deathmatch. I wish there were Mercenary modes for all gametypes. I usually play solo and it's dumb to be up against a whole clan.

Oh, and I really, really don't like hardcore. I'm a veteran of Counter-Strike on the PC and am fine with high-damage game mechanics, but I don't like that style of play with the slow analog sticks on the console. Hardcore mode forces camping, and I don't like to camp. It's boring and non-gratifying.[/QUOTE]

If you go to your options in the game you can change your analog stick speed all the way up to insane speed (10 I believe) and playing hardcore doesn't force camping if you play it right, you just have to have decent teammates for you to be able to play it right. I still always prefer core modes since people feel they can go rambo and end up losing gun fights to me every time. Also, most clans in this game are terrible, but so are most of the "random" players. I have yet to run into anyone in Mercenary Deathmatch or Free-For-All that was even close to as good as me, so I have more fun playing normal Deathmatch with like 1 other player to provide myself a challenge (even though I usually lose Mercenary Deathmatch due to teammates). There is just something about going 45-10 and losing that starts taking away from the fun factor, there is no challenge in them killing me since they can barely do it, so they just kill my terrible teammates 65 times before they can get 30 kills.

Patch is up now for anyone who was avoiding playing until they fixed the godmode, no clip, etc. cheats. Not just a regular update since I had just been on there about 2 hours ago, so it should be the patch discussed.

The multiplayer maps for this game really aren't good enough, imo. The level design in many of the maps is poor, which is irritating since even games that royally screw up their single player design usually have good multiplayer maps since they're easier to make.

Even Chinatown is off, which is annoying since it's a port of Carenten, which was an excellent map. I loved most of CoD2's maps. Wish CoD4 had a map preference option, like there was in that game.

The killcam defies belief, even after all this time.

[quote name='Techsticles']Game over for me, my system scratched the disc and it keeps getting a dirty disc error on install or when I load a game. It was my own damn fault. I sent it off to be refinished so I'm hoping it comes back playable. I need more practice before MW2 comes out.[/QUOTE]
Yes I got it back last Friday after being refinished and it works perfectly now. :bouncy:

[quote name='Techsticles']Yes I got it back last Friday after being refinished and it works perfectly now. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Where do you get the CD fixed? Mine recently developed a nasty crack but it's only very lightly on the surface. I think it could be buffed off or something.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Where do you get the CD fixed? Mine recently developed a nasty crack but it's only very lightly on the surface. I think it could be buffed off or something.[/QUOTE]
I messaged a friend on another forum who works at a place called Game Nut Entertainment. If you call, ask for Gene. However if the disc is cracked it can not be fixed, scratches only depending on how deep they are.

Game Nut Entertainment
844 Massachusetts
Lawrence, KS USA 66044
785-856-1540

I have a problem with Call of Duty 4 and was wondering if anyone can help me.

Everytime I start up CoD4, and then select "Multiplayer" from the main menu, I get the error message "Unknown error from IW Server". Has anyone ever experienced this before?

After I get that error message, I am able to select "Xbox Live", but when I am choosing my game mode (Team Deathmatch, Free-for-all, etc), it lists "0/0 players online" and "0 total players online". I am still able to find games. After leaving the game, the player counts usually show up when I return to that mode select screen.

I am not sure what this message means and I am afraid it may result in me losing some of my progress. And...just its presence sort of...bugs me. I have tried clearing the cache, and then re-downloading the update, but the error message persists.

If anyone...anyone can help me get rid of this message....I will surely have peace of mind.

bread's done
Back