Can anyone recommend a good MP3 player that won't fail in 8 months?

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Just had my 8GB Philips Go Gear Aria take a crap on me after less than 7 months of use. It won't turn on and I am going to use my PSP as my MP3 player in my truck in the mean time. I would prefer not to use my PSP as my mp3 player though.

Wait a minute .. this isn't an article from fark.com

J/k :) .. I've had a 30gb Zune for quite awhile and it works great. I've dropped it on the floor a few times and its also been sitting in hot/cold temperature in my car and no problems. Yet anyway. *knock on wood*

[quote name='Maklershed']Wait a minute .. this isn't an article from fark.com

J/k :) .. I've had a 30gb Zune for quite awhile and it works great. I've dropped it on the floor a few times and its also been sitting in hot/cold temperature in my car and no problems. Yet anyway. *knock on wood*[/QUOTE]

I'll do a few searches on the Zune and iriver.

The thing that was weird was that I took good care of my Aria. Never dropped it, never uplugged it while transferring data, never exposed it to temperature extremes. I'm pretty anal about the care of my electronics.

[quote name='Maklershed']It's not possible that it was exposed to a lot of static electricty is it?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.

i've had my ipod for over two years, and if it does fail i have the apple protection on it. stop dropping your ipod and keep it away from static(on the carpet) and it should last longer.

How much do you want to spend?
I have the ipod touch and absolutely love it. You get an mp3 player, movie player, video game player, built in wifi for internet, etc, etc.

On the flipside, I've had my Sandisk Sansa e260 for about 3 years now and it's been rock solid. It supports drag and drop and has a built in FM radio and microsd slot for expandability. You can find a refurbished one for pretty cheap, or buy one of the updated ones - Fuze and View.

I still have a 20GB Rio Karma that I've beat the living shit out of and it works fine. I'm sort of amazed.

Non-ipod I guess? I've had my 5th gen video for 3 or 4 years with no problems besides the occasional need to reset and I'm sure the battery life has declined. I'll probably get a touch in a year or so just to upgrade it.

Ipods are grossly overpriced and I'm not one to recommend HDD based players. I've always chosen solid state/flash memory players and have yet to see one break. I had a Rio a while ago and am currently using a Creative Zen. Sure the storage space will peak around 8-16 gb (unless they accept expansion cards) but honestly how much music do you need to carry at once? Swap albums around when you get bored.

Flash players are durable and never skip, plus they're much cheaper than those drive-based players. They differ between models but it's not hard to find one with a tuner, recording capability, and playlist features. And since there's less moving parts they last many hours on a single charge.

[quote name='docvinh']I think the bigger question is how much do you want to spend?[/QUOTE]

$150.00 or less would be ideal, but I am open to spending more.

I have had an ipod for years and I recently bought a sansa clip.

I actually like better especially for biking and other activities.

Cheap as dirt and I am pretty sure the newer models have expandable memory.

[quote name='Mojimbo']iPod nano.[/QUOTE]

True, I found one that was partial crushed by a car but still works even though the LCD is kinda jacked up. :applause:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']$150.00 or less would be ideal, but I am open to spending more.[/QUOTE]

I would probably recommend a flash memory type player like many other people have said here, although for 150 you're not going to get a whole lot of space. Either way, I would recommend the 1st gen zunes, both the hard drive version and the flash version as they're both pretty cheap nowadays and are of excellent quality. The software is an acquired taste though, I liked it but I can see why people don't like it.

I've had no problems with my two creative players.

I have an old 512 MB Creative Muvo flash player I've used in the gym the past 4 or 5 years and it's still going strong, despite getting dropped, sweated on etc.

And a 30GB Creative Vision M that I use in the office etc. that has all my music on it, that I've used for the past 3 years or so with no issues.

Find a person who "finds" ipods. This guy sold me an ipod nano 8gb for $50 2 years ago, and it's still working fine.

Get a Sandisk Sansa Fuze, i think they come in up to 8gb sizes, but they're also expandable with Micro SD cards. I bought a 4gb player and an 8gb Micro SD card for it. The only shitty software is the video conversion software, but that's only if you want to use it to play videos, otherwise it's drag and drop.

[quote name='beach_BumX']Find a person who "finds" ipods. This guy sold me an ipod nano 8gb for $50 2 years ago, and it's still working fine.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy stolen merchandise.

You can get some good deals on used 4th and 5th Gen iPod Classics on craigslist. You're likely to get one with decent capacity for less than $150.

[quote name='daphatty']You can get some good deals on used 4th and 5th Gen iPod Classics on craigslist. You're likely to get one with decent capacity for less than $150.[/QUOTE]

I don't want used merchandise.

Just grab an iPod or a Zune, but make sure to grab one with flash storage and not a hard drive. Hard drives fail way to often. You're going to pay a little more for the flash storage, but it's worth it because it will last a lot longer. (I believe iPod touches come in models up to 64GB now?)

Get the Zen like we've said. Zune and Ipod are made by companies with poor products and more money than sense. This one is small like a thick credit card, has good sound (dependant on your headphones of course), and great on battery life. You can see the rest of the specs there.

Although I have an 8gb model, not sure why it's not listed at the link above. Try another store if you want something in between sizes.

[quote name='DPsx7']Get the Zen like we've said. Zune and Ipod are made by companies with poor products and more money than sense. This one is small like a thick credit card, has good sound (dependant on your headphones of course), and great on battery life. You can see the rest of the specs there.

Although I have an 8gb model, not sure why it's not listed at the link above. Try another store if you want something in between sizes.[/QUOTE]

That's just plain wrong. Apple may overcharge, and Microsoft may have shitty software for their Zunes, but they're definitely not poor products. iPods are one of the best MP3 players made, and Zunes have a good quality build to them too. Zen is definitely a good MP3 player, but no way would I say they're ahead of Zunes or iPods.

Just to throw my 2 cents in I've had my zune for almost 2 years now and I'm about to upgrade to a Zune HD so I think they are great players

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']What is wrong with used merchandise?[/QUOTE]

Given he wants something that won't fail in 8 months, you of course take more of a risk with used merchandise, and usually don't have warranty coverage anymore etc.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']What is wrong with used merchandise?[/QUOTE]

For electronics, plenty. See Xbox 360, PS One first generation, etc.

I buy all electronics new and if it fails, so be it. The only thing different is that I will by the extended warrenty for my next mp3 player.

Ive had my creative vision m now for two years, bought it for $100, totally love it. Creative knows their mp3 players...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? They're one of the best selling MP3 players, their software is incredibly popular, even with people without iPods, and they're one of the longest lasting MP3 players made. (They've had a few design flaws in a few models, but they were fixed right away.) So exactly is bad about them? As far as I'm concerned, if it has a lot of features, sells at a reasonable price point and will last a long time, it's a good MP3 player. ($179 for 16GB and a video camera? I call that a reasonable price.)

I've had a 30 gb ipod video (before they were renamed "classic") since early '06 and it has worked phenomenally. I also bought an 80 gb classic in '08. They both have worked very well for me. The only problems I've had was leaving them in the car on really hot days. They would lock up forcing me to reset them but really that's a minor complaint. It take like 20 seconds to get back to playing your music. I haven't owned any other mp3 players but I can strongly recommend the ipod. Just buy one of those protective plastic cases that you can see through. They last and I really like the interface.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Are you kidding me? They're one of the best selling MP3 players, their software is incredibly popular, even with people without iPods, and they're one of the longest lasting MP3 players made. (They've had a few design flaws in a few models, but they were fixed right away.) So exactly is bad about them? As far as I'm concerned, if it has a lot of features, sells at a reasonable price point and will last a long time, it's a good MP3 player. ($179 for 16GB and a video camera? I call that a reasonable price.)[/QUOTE]
Best selling doesn't make it the best. It just means Apple has a great marketing campaign managing to make the name ipod synonymous with mp3 player. You can find better players for cheaper quite easily. Someone mentioned www.anythingbutipod.com earlier, and that's a great site to start with.

There's nothing wrong with ipods. It's just there's much better out there.

bread's done
Back