Can anyone recommend some Dreamcast games?

jfunkdpg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just got a used DC the other day, and I'm looking to pick up some good games. If anyone could recommend some I should check out, I'd greatly appreciate it. I pretty much enjoy all types of games, although I'm not particularly intereated in getting any sports or fighting games at this point.

Thanks.

No fighting games? What a shame. The DC is THE console for great fighting games. Anyways.

Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Shenmue
Jet Set/Grind Radio
Sonic Adventure
Zombie Revenge
Dynamite Cop
Space Channel 5
Samba De Amigo
Virtual On: Oratoria Tangram
Seaman
Phantasy Star Online
Crazy Taxi
Gunbird 2
Ikaruga
Resident 2/3/Code Veronica
Sega Smash Pack vol. 1
House of the Dead II
Typing of the Dead
Rez

One of the last games that I had lots of fun playin, and still waiting for the next:

Echo the Dolphin-Defender of the Future

This topic came up a few weeks ago, but here are some.
Berserk
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 & 2
Powerstone 1 & 2
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
Dynamite Cop
Expendable
I could go on for awhile but will stop there.

[quote name='j-fever']The Dreamcast is best for fighting games and 2d shooters.[/QUOTE]

I really like 2D shooters, what're some good ones?

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I'm not particularly intereated in getting any fighting games at this point.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sell your DC.

Here's a solid start:

RPGs
Skies of Arcadia (Excellent)
Grandia II (Very Good)
Shenmue (Good)

Fighting
Soul Calibur (Excellent)
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Very Good)
Tech Romancer (Good)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Good)
Last Blade 2 (Very Good)
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (Very Good)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Excellent)
Street Fighter III: Double Strike (Good)

Shooters
Bangai-O! (Very Good)
Mars Matrix (Good)
Gunbird (Good)
Gunbird 2 (Good)
Ikaruga Import (Excellent)

Action/Adventure
Jet Grind Radio (Very Good)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Very Good)
Sonic Adventure (Good)
Sonic Adventure 2 (Good)
House of the Dead 2 (Good)

Racing
Daytona USA (Very Good)
Crazy Taxi (Excellent)
Crazy Taxi 2 (Very Good)
Star Wars: Episode I Racer (Good)

Puzzle
Chu-Chu Rocket (Good)
Wetrix+ (Good)
Space Channel 5 (Very Good)

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver (much better than PS version)
Rayman 2
Test Drive Le mans 24
Speed Devils
Blue Stinger
Virtual On: OT
Outtrigger
Star Lancer
Armada
MDK 2
Toy Commander
Gundam Side Story 0079
Alone in the Dark 4
Fur Fighters
Phantasy Star Online
Sega Fishing w/ controller

I tried to think of ones that weren't already named but if I screwed up just think of the game as being twice as good...

on th gun issue rmember first party guns dont work with US machines. You will have to go to thrid party guns.

I went on a DC gun kick and it only took about 4 hours visiting pawn shops (most lenght was drive time between two towns and 10-12 shops) and I snagged two up.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Star Wars: Episode I Racer (Good)[/QUOTE]

Episode 1 Racer only ranks as good?! This is my all-time favorite Star Wars game. I've spend more time with this than I have with KOTOR, and the DC port is the best console version available. (I've got the PC port as well, but I'm really not much into PC gaming.)

Samba de amigo is DA BOMB, if you get lucky to find the maracas. I found a set for 30 some bucks (the clerk tried to ripp me off by saying its actually 45 but the price tag said 30...lets just say he backed down quickly after i said in a loud voice..I DON'T THINK SO and pointing to the price tag". They worked for about 30 mins then broke down (left maraca didn't want to respond). Called them up told them what happened, they said they would get a new set for me in 2 days, returned it, got a new pair and same problem :( so i returned it and the guy i returned it under gave me 45 dollars back instead of 30 :p

[quote name='dreamvsps2']samba de amigo
sonic 1
house of dead 2
crazy taxi[/QUOTE]

WoW! Surprised no one metioned either of the Evolutions or Sonic games....but like another poster said, almost every game on the system is simply amazing

i love my dreamcast. Too many great games. I also recommend a vga adapter to make the graphics sharper. I got the performance vga with pass through, use the monitor and switch to computer. Games I always find myself playing are Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, Sword of the Berserk, Rez, Ikaruga, NES emulator, Powerstone 2, basically all of them lol

Virtua Tennis, trust me, even if you don't like Tennis, this game is addicting and fun as hell.

Sega Smash Pack- it comes with a lot of great Sega classics Sonic, Golden Axe, Shining Force, Streets of Rage 2, Columns, Wrestle War, Virtua Cop 2, Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star II, Vectorman, Altered beast and Sega Swirl. You can get it on Ebay for like $15-$20.

Hydro Thunder is a blast.

Gotta give some love to Sega Bass Fishing 1 & 2 (aka Get Bass) If you want an arcade fishing game it is awesome, just make sure you pick up the oem Sega fishing controller for the full experience.

These are gonna be harder to find, but are easily the best DC titles out there.
Keep your eyes peeled - they'd be worth buying even if "disc-only":

Soul Calibur
Rival Schools: Project Justice
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III Third Strike
Capcom vs. SNK
Powerstone 1 & 2
Bangai-O
Mars Matrix
Gunbird 2
Gigawing 1 & 2
Cannon Spike
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II

These will be alot easier to find, and still alot of fun:

Shenmue
Jet Grind Radio
Blue Stinger
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
Sonic Adventure
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Sega GT
NFL 2K...
NHL 2K...
Chu-Chu Rocket
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2
Test Drive LeMans
Spiderman

I own(ed) all of these games currently or in the past and can vouch for each one.
The ones I listed first are AAA titles in my opinion (and most other intellectually honest video-gamers)

-CR

[quote name='cyberlian']Gotta give some love to Sega Bass Fishing 1 & 2 (aka Get Bass) If you want an arcade fishing game it is awesome, just make sure you pick up the oem Sega fishing controller for the full experience.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yeah, those games are great with the Sega Fishing Controller - Sega Marine Fishing (with the big ass Marlin on the cover) is tight too...

I am sure most of these have been mentioned already.....

Project Justice
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Looney Tunes Space Race
StarLancer
Tennis 2K2
Sega Swirl
Shenmue
Record of Lodoss War

second to MAME, the Dreamcast is any fighting game player's fave Arcade game system, mostly thanks to the support of Capcom's fighters and SEGAs Naomi arcade machines which made the games easy to port over to the Dreamcast.

To like the 6 people above me:

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I'm not particularly intereated in getting any sports or fighting games at this point.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on... SAN FRANSISCO RUSH 2049, people!!! My friends would always just blow off the races and do 4-player stunt mode for hours. That was a blast. And though I guess it's more of a PC-friendly game, Worms World Party is some awesome multiplayer fun as well. And I'll second the person who said Virtual Tennis. I don't give a crap about tennis, but that game is amazing.

oh and by the way, I was wondering... what do you use to play import games on a U.S. Dreamcast? Do you need a Free Loader or something? Or does that design flaw that let you play CD-R's allow you to play imports as well?

I'm not much of a fighting or Sports games guy, but there are a few of those I enjoy on Dreamcast, so I'm listing some of my favorites regardless of instruction :).

*Bangai-O - zany 2d shooter with great use of Engrish dialog and the ability to fire hundreds of missiles at your targets? what more could you ask for.
*Chu Chu Rocket - great puzzle game
*Crazy Taxi - Still great fun after all these years, pick up passengers and go, though its best as a title to plunk in for 30 or 40 minutes at a time when you get tired of playing the main game your on.
*Deep Fighter - yes, it has cheesy live action FMV sequences, but the variety of tasks you get to complete on different submarines makes it a worthy purchase IMHO.
*Headhunter (Euro) - Had a lot of fun with this action inport, but if you have a PS2 its probably just as easy to buy the version released in the states.
*Hydro Thunder - Not quite as fun as sitting in the chair with throttle in hand at the arcade, but you don't have to Pay per play either :)
*Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Much better than the PS1 version, good dark platformer.
*Mars Matrix - This is quite a challenging top-down shooter, will make you pull your hair out, but before long you'll be back at it.
*MDK2 - 3 game styles in one, balls to the wall 4 fisited blasting, stealthy sniping, and a puzzlers, all encompased with a quirky sense of humor, though it can be a bit challenging.
*Power Stone 1 + 2 - Ya, i know you say you don't really like want fighting games, 1 is the more serious fighter, but 2 is more similar to Super Smash Brothers so if have 3 other peeps who don't mind playing "outdated" technology, you'll have a blast.
*Record of Lodoss War- Pretty good action RPG, but youll enjoy it much more if your a fan of the anime.
*Rez (euro or JPN) - On the rails shooter that has to be experienced, can't really describe it, and remember "Fear is the mind killer". If there was a VG up to this point which could be called interactive art, it would be this game.
*San Francisco Rush 2049 - My absolute favorite of the Rush games, crisp graphics, crazy tracks, and the retractable wings were a great addition, I have blown hours just messing around in the stunt courses alone.
*Shadow Man - Great story, great voice acting, great architecture, creepy as hell, I still remember freaking out the first time I heard and saw the hook monsters when playing the PC demo. Later stages become progressively creepier, just be careful if you have to read FAQs when figuring it out, or you might hit a spoiler for the end of the game.
*Sword of the Berserk - good, bloody fun for a 3d hack and slash, Got me interested enough that i checked out the anime it was based on (that was good too, though it deals with many mature themes) I was really bummed when they decided not to release the Berserk PS2 game in the states as it takes off right when the series ends.
*Typing of the Dead - House of the Dead 2 reworked as a typing teacher, if they ever wanted to teach teenagers how to type, this would be the game to do it, even sports multiplayer if you can track down a second keyboard. Bloody good fun AND educational, suck it Jack Thompson.
*Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense - Personally, i liked the original car combat game better, but this is an adequate follow up which adds some new game mechanics. Loads of fun if you can get a multiplayer game started.
*Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram - Bad sub-line, great mech combat game. There are two schools of thought, slow tank-like mechs, and graceful, nimble anime-style mechs, this game is the ladder. Though Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner pretty much blows this game away in terms of single player, multiplayer is still pretty enjoyable.

Anyway you slice it, there are more good games for the DC than you'll ever be able to find the time to play, trust me :).

Edit: Oh, and another vote for Sega Marine Fishing, its easier with a normal controller, but much more authentic with the fishing controller.

1 Virtua Tennis
2 Virtua Tennis
3 Virtua Tennis
4 Virtua Tennis
5 Virtua Tennis

Digital Crack. I have a huge roster of DC games, but I think this is the best domestic game by far. Sword of the Berserk is another domestic favorite of mine.

Firepro Wrestling D is my favorite import (very easy to play imports on the DC, too).

You don't have to be a sports fan at all to like Virtua Tennis, you only have to like having fun with a video game. It's like Tecmo Bowl was on NES or Mike Tyson's Punch-Out it trancends sports all together to where it's likeable for almost anybody.

Powerstone 1. I don't care if you don't like fighting games; this game is different (it brings Smash Bros. to mind) and is wicked sweet.

Ikaruga.

Bangai-o.

Gunbird 2.

REZ.

Chu Chu Rocket.

Jet Grind Radio.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']You don't have to be a sports fan at all to like Virtua Tennis, you only have to like having fun with a video game. It's like Tecmo Bowl was on NES or Mike Tyson's Punch-Out it trancends sports all together to where it's likeable for almost anybody.[/QUOTE]

Amen. If one doesn't like sports games, they can just think of it as an advanced version of Pong.

virtua tennis
shenmue
shenmue II (import)
resident evil code veronica
jet grind radio
sonic adventure
crazy taxi
phantasy star online
powerstone
powerstone 2
marvel vs. capcom 2

bread's done