Can AT&T really force-charge you internet for using an iPhone?

kiotsukete

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
My friend bought an iPhone recently and has AT&T as his carrier. He never had any internet plan on his contract. Can AT&T really detect that he's using an iPhone and force him to pay for internet on his contract when he doesn't want it?

[quote name='kiotsukete']My friend bought an iPhone recently and has AT&T as his carrier. He never had any internet plan on his contract. Can AT&T really detect that he's using an iPhone and force him to pay for internet on his contract when he doesn't want it?[/QUOTE]

They can tell that he is using an iPhone. They can't force the data plan since the phone wasnt purchased under contract. If you talk to CS they will push the data plan super hard.

From everything I have read, it seem ATT will just add a data plan to any smartphone under their network if they detect it. I can't find anything on the site or contracts that say this, but that seems to be what everybody on ATT forums and other sites are saying.

[quote name='Malik112099']They can tell that he is using an iPhone. They can't force the data plan since the phone wasnt purchased under contract. If you talk to CS they will push the data plan super hard.[/QUOTE]

They can force the data plan, and they will, or you can't use the iPhone on the network.

It's not just ATT that does this. All of the carriers do this. It's how they are getting people off the old legacy grandfathered (read: low cost) plans.

[quote name='BigPopov']They can force the data plan, and they will, or you can't use the iPhone on the network.

It's not just ATT that does this. All of the carriers do this. It's how they are getting people off the old legacy grandfathered (read: low cost) plans.[/QUOTE]

actually now that i think about it, everyone i know that have done this already had data on their plan....

I looked around some more and found this.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

Also there is this lengthly discussion on the ATT forums about it.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/G...or/Data-plan-with-unlocked-phone/td-p/1930795

Seems rather unfair, especially if you're out of contracts or get the phone used as a hand me down or from a third party source. Actually even if you buy the iphone outright for $600 they will still tack on the data plan.

Verizon does the same thing if you want a incredible, they wont let you just use the phone, you have to purchase a data plan with it also or you dont get to use the phone.

I'll never forget my conversation with Sprint,

"You need a unlimited data plan"
"My current plan does have unlimited data"
"Yes, well, this is EVERYTHING unlimited data"
"So uhh, what's the difference, besides $30 more a month"
(brief pause) "So I just need you to listen to these terms and agree at the end..."

Oye...

I don't see why you are griping about thirty bucks a month. Especially considering the fact that the iPhone is constantly updating itself via a data connection and would cease to function without it. If you are too cheap to afford the data package get yourself an iPod touch and keep your old giant Zack Morris cell phone.

[quote name='Moffman82']I don't see why you are griping about thirty bucks a month. Especially considering the fact that the iPhone is constantly updating itself via a data connection and would cease to function without it. If you are too cheap to afford the data package get yourself an iPod touch and keep your old giant Zack Morris cell phone.[/QUOTE]

Because said friend wanted the functions of a phone along with everything that comes with an iPod Touch. He also didn't necessarily need a data plan because he was going to be on a college campus with free Wifi around the whole area. This is also CAG, thirty bucks is something you could easily gripe about, especially if it's monthly for a service that a person would find pretty unnecessary.
On another note, my friend just got the data plan forcefully added to his iPhone today, haha.

AT&T (and other carriers) identify your phone by its IMEI. Unless you change this and completely disable data, they're going to force the data plan on you.

Besides, the data plan is not $30 anymore. You choose between $15 (200mb/month) and $25 (2GB/month), so it's a little more palatable than $30 was if you have widespread wi-fi availability.

I have to scratch my head as to why someone who gets an iPhone WOULDNT want the data plan... get a flip phone then folks.

[quote name='DestroVega']I have to scratch my head as to why someone who gets an iPhone WOULDNT want the data plan... get a flip phone then folks.[/QUOTE]

Well I could see someone like me that's almost always near wifi not needing the plan.

But I stick with a flip phone myself. I don't need or want internet/e-mail everywhere I go. I'm tied to a computer and that crap too much for work etc. as is.

[quote name='DestroVega']I have to scratch my head as to why someone who gets an iPhone WOULDNT want the data plan... get a flip phone then folks.[/QUOTE]
any other smartphone and that statement makes sense.
but the iphone is a great media player and many people carry an ipod and a phone around all the time. why wouldn't they want to combine the two devices and not need the internet?

[quote name='shosh']any other smartphone and that statement makes sense.
but the iphone is a great media player and many people carry an ipod and a phone around all the time. why wouldn't they want to combine the two devices and not need the internet?[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I have an iphone. I don't have any real need for the internet, but I already have to carry a ton of shit in my pockets at work so being able to carry my personal phone and an mp3 player in one is really nice.

1001241.bin

[quote name='gargus']Verizon does the same thing if you want a incredible, they wont let you just use the phone, you have to purchase a data plan with it also or you dont get to use the phone.[/QUOTE]

This, my brother recently bought a phone from this asshole Verizon rep who kept his lips shut the whole time he was buying it, only to have an additional $10 a month show up on the bill.

I've been thinking of getting an droid incredible on verizon since I get an employee discount, would be about $60 with the lowest minutes package and data plan. I just don't know if I can justify it though. Would be nice to have, but it seems more just like an expensive toy right now. Plus I really want something that can handle different video codecs, and aside from a few early pieces of software, smartphones don't seem to be that great for video playback.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']This, my brother recently bought a phone from this asshole Verizon rep who kept his lips shut the whole time he was buying it, only to have an additional $10 a month show up on the bill.[/QUOTE]

They did that to my sister too even though she repeatedly asked if she could get this specific phone (env touch or something) without a data plan. He lied and she's stuck with the $10 extra charge. fucking crooks.

[quote name='Moffman82']I don't see why you are griping about thirty bucks a month. Especially considering the fact that the iPhone is constantly updating itself via a data connection and would cease to function without it. If you are too cheap to afford the data package get yourself an iPod touch and keep your old giant Zack Morris cell phone.[/QUOTE]

You can't see why he wouldn't want to spend $30 a month for something he doesn't need? You either make $200k a year, or are just really stupid with money.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']This is exactly why I have an iphone. I don't have any real need for the internet, but I already have to carry a ton of shit in my pockets at work so being able to carry my personal phone and an mp3 player in one is really nice.[/QUOTE]

But at the same time, there are tons of non-smart phones out there with SD card slots and built in MP3 players.

So one doesn't have to get an iPhone or other smarth phone if they want to use a phone as an MP3 player.

I only use my mp3 player in the gym and office (have a Nano for the gym that stays in my gym bag and a creative Vision M 30GB player I leave at the office) so that's not an issue for me personally. But if I did want music in my phone I wouldn't go the smart phone route since I don't remotely need a data plan/internet on my phone.

for me, what especially sucks is smartphones are the only ones w/ built in wi-fi. even when you can get if for free the carriers and phone makers still screw you...

[quote name='dmaul1114']But at the same time, there are tons of non-smart phones out there with SD card slots and built in MP3 players.

So one doesn't have to get an iPhone or other smarth phone if they want to use a phone as an MP3 player.

I only use my mp3 player in the gym and office (have a Nano for the gym that stays in my gym bag and a creative Vision M 30GB player I leave at the office) so that's not an issue for me personally. But if I did want music in my phone I wouldn't go the smart phone route since I don't remotely need a data plan/internet on my phone.[/QUOTE]
have you ever used the mp3 feature on non smart phones? they are just god awful. not only that they drain the battery so fast.

id like you to name me one non smart phone that does mp3s well and can last even 3 hours not the mention 10 hours the iphone does. nevermind even the video feature of the iphone.

I can't name one. Like I said I'm not one of you young'ins that has to be listening to music etc. everywhere I go so I've never had a need for the feature given I've never carried an MP3 player around with me.

But I have some friends that use non-smart phone MP3 players and I haven't heard many complaints. But if it's true that most have shitty battery life etc.--then that's a gold mine opportunity for some company to fill by putting out a phone with kick ass music functions but no need for a data plan.

Same with WiFi as noted diablodeltoro noted. Probably a decent chunk of people who'd like to be able to check e-mail or internet on their phone at wifi hot spots, but don't need internet on their phone often enough to pay for 3G etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nateeasy29']I have a choclate 3. It does Mp3s just fine.[/QUOTE]
i think the fact that you use LG as a phone tells me your standards arent that high. the chocolate line is awful and the music player is equivalent to using a child's sansa music player from toys r us.

LG phones are usually reviewed pretty well. Though I agree the Chocolate seems the most problematic (not sure about the 3, but people I knew with the earlier model).

I've loved the 2 or 3 LG phones I've had, including the Voyager I have now. But again, I'm very simple on that front as my phone gets used for nothing but calls and texts. So my only current requirements are call clarity, reception and a physical QWERTY keyboard for texting. But all the LG phones I've had, have been very good on reception, battery life etc., so I make a point to check out their phones when upgrading every 2 or 3 years.

I was just looking at upgrading my phone on verizon and saw that required $10 data plan shit for all kinds of fucking phones now. Even the phone that my girlfriend currently has, with no data plan, now apparently requires a data plan if I want to upgrade to it. I hope there's a way around this shit. We have web data blocked right now just so we don't get charged an extra $2 for accidentally opening a web browser or something. I just want a good phone with a keypad for texting, I don't need all that other shit. I may never upgrade my phone again.

My phone works great. Had it for about 18 months. Has a handy FM transmitter built in. I use it every morning at work for around 4 hours. Never had a problem with the battery. Ill stick with it over a smart phone with some data plan any day.

[quote name='kiotsukete']Because said friend wanted the functions of a phone along with everything that comes with an iPod Touch.[/QUOTE]

Then said friend should get a phone and an iPod Touch. If you don't need the data plan, you don't need an iPhone. Let's all be honest with each other, we're talking about an iPhone on AT&T. You couldn't possibly be shocked when everything costs money.

[quote name='tcrash247']They did that to my sister too even though she repeatedly asked if she could get this specific phone (env touch or something) without a data plan. He lied and she's stuck with the $10 extra charge. fucking crooks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Thongsy']I looked around some more and found this.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.
Seems rather unfair, especially if you're out of contracts or get the phone used as a hand me down or from a third party source. Actually even if you buy the iphone outright for $600 they will still tack on the data plan.[/QUOTE]

Of course it's unfair and of course they're crooks, but it's hard to deny that it's right there in black and white and you agree to those terms when you sign the contract. Yes it's scuzzy, and yes they'll try to hide it from you, but at the end of the day, it's your responsibility to read and understand just exactly what you're signing away two years of your life to. I've made this same mistake, I'm certainly no better. That's why they pressure you so hard, so you don't have time to read the contract and discover all the things about it you don't like that, once you sign it, tough shit.

Having said that, though:

[quote name='Access_Denied']You can't see why he wouldn't want to spend $30 a month for something he doesn't need? You either make $200k a year, or are just really stupid with money.[/QUOTE]

"Stupid with money" is signing a contract with AT&T you haven't read and then complaining when they expect you to stick with it.

[quote name='Survivalism']Then said friend should get a phone and an iPod Touch. If you don't need the data plan, you don't need an iPhone. Let's all be honest with each other, we're talking about an iPhone on AT&T. You couldn't possibly be shocked when everything costs money.

Of course it's unfair and of course they're crooks, but it's hard to deny that it's right there in black and white and you agree to those terms when you sign the contract. Yes it's scuzzy, and yes they'll try to hide it from you, but at the end of the day, it's your responsibility to read and understand just exactly what you're signing away two years of your life to. I've made this same mistake, I'm certainly no better. That's why they pressure you so hard, so you don't have time to read the contract and discover all the things about it you don't like that, once you sign it, tough shit.

Having said that, though:

"Stupid with money" is signing a contract with AT&T you haven't read and then complaining when they expect you to stick with it.[/QUOTE]
jesus christ.

just jailbreak the damn iphone and be done with it. no data plan.

Anyone that thinks they can get the newest equipment and not get gouged one way or another is pretty stupid. lol

They aren't a charity.

Jailbreak and not need a data plan? Right. If you're on ATT's network with an iPhone, it's going to be added to your plan if you don't have it. Same with the Android phones or Blackberry line. It's going to be exactly the same if you use a different carrier - and even sending picture texts requires a data connection more than the standard voice network.

FWIW, Sony's W518 Walkman phone has a killer mp3 player. It's a pretty basic flip phone.

[quote name='shosh']jesus christ.

just jailbreak the damn iphone and be done with it. no data plan.[/QUOTE]

Even if you are jailbroken, as long as you have your sim in it and it is an active cell phone, AT&T can see it and they will charge for data.

[quote name='VipFREAK']They aren't a charity.[/QUOTE]

This ain't about capitalism.

If I buy the Iphone flat-out on my own, I should be able to choose whether I want a data plan or not. It's an unfair business practice to force a charge on me for a service I don't want or need.

[quote name='Survivalism']Then said friend should get a phone and an iPod Touch. If you don't need the data plan, you don't need an iPhone.
[/QUOTE]

But as others said earlier, the annoyance in that case is having to carry two gadgets around.

It seems to me that there's a decent chunk of change to be made by some hardware company by putting out a phone with a great MP3 player and WiFi. But of course the cell providers like AT&T wouldn't be big on wanting to carry such a phone since they can't lock people into their data plans that cost more than I've been paying for unlimited 10+ mbps home internet in recent years.

As others said, the whole point was to not have two gadgets in your pocket, and it's not just the MP3 player functions of an iPod that are desired, many phones can do that, what really is important is the vast amount of games and apps that iPod Touches and iPhones have in the App Store that can't really be compared to any other brand's selection.
It's very desirable to have all these functions, as well as being able to take phone calls in one device, but for some, and in my friend's case, this doesn't necessary mean we need nor want an internet data plan.

[quote name='camoor']
If I buy the Iphone flat-out on my own, I should be able to choose whether I want a data plan or not. It's an unfair business practice to force a charge on me for a service I don't want or need.[/QUOTE]

Yet... here we are and they are still in business and making money hand over fist for nothing. (I'm talking about ALL cell phone companies btw)

I have to say that having wifi built into a phone, and being forced into signing up for a data plan is pretty stupid. How many people with data plan actually use the wifi functions of their phones? Now that AT&T has instituted caps on their data plan I can maybe see, but otherwise what's the point? If I have unlimited data on verizon for example, I'm going to use it whenever I can as I'm paying for it and might as well use it. Kinda makes wifi pointless unless you just can't get a signal indoors and are close enough to an access point to use it.

Well most wifi broadband connections are going to be a good deal faster than 3G.

So if you're at home and doing something on the net on the smart phone, better to use your 10MBPS or whatever wifi connection than 3G since stuff will load faster. And just leave 3G for when you're on the go.

Of course, at least for me, I see no point in using the net on a smart phone at home when one could use their pc/laptop instead. But a lot of my friends do still check e-mail etc. on the smart phone on the couch even though their laptop is on the coffee table. Baffles me.

[quote name='Access_Denied']You can't see why he wouldn't want to spend $30 a month for something he doesn't need? You either make $200k a year, or are just really stupid with money.[/QUOTE]

I am neither and I still agree.... its 360 bucks a year for your iphone... Why the hell you would get one without a data plan is beyond me.

Get an ipod touch, get a flip phone... go MacGyver on it with ducktape and make the very first I-Flip... end of story.

[quote name='Steggy']I am neither and I still agree.... its 360 bucks a year for your iphone... Why the hell you would get one without a data plan is beyond me.
[/QUOTE]

Personally I can't see how people are fine paying $360 a year for internet on their iPhone--especially with the new 2GB cap if you're not grandfathered into the unlimited plan. I mean I get it for people who travel constantly etc.--even then I'd probably opt for getting mobile broadband for my laptop/netbook etc. than on my phone personally. But most I know with iPhones etc. are like me--nearly always near a computer with internet access and only travel a handful of times a year. Sure it comes in handy when out on the town and needing to find an address or something, but that's not worth $30 a month to me. I'll just call a few friends/family until I get someone near a computer to look it up for me! :D

I paid $239.88 (plus a bit for taxes etc.) for 12MBPS unlimited internet from comcast for the past year (19.99 a month). At my new place the 10 MBPS internet is included in the condo fees (which were among the lowest of the places in the area). So I just can't stomach the tough of $30 a month for cell phone internet. .

I'd like a smartphone somewhat on the one hand for having a better calendar app (and ditching my old palm pilot), games, random apps etc., but I just don't need internet and e-mail on a phone enough to pay extra for it.

Someone puts out a phone with wifi, a big touch screen with a good calendar app I'd buy it in a heart beat. But I can't see getting any phone that requires a data plan. I'd rather just stick with my simple cell phone and my palm pilot.

Weird, people on CAG telling other people that it's stupid of them to not pay $30 a month for something they don't want.

Any of you guys want to pay for my netflix subscription? It's just $10.99 a month (plus tax). I'll give you reviews of the movies I watch, it's a service. You might not want it, but for only $10.99 a month, how can you say no?

I don't understand why people are bitching.....Yeah, its your phone but you want to use it on THEIR network. That's like buying a bed and then bitching when the house you want to use it in costs money. You want to use their cellular network you have to play by their rules.

[quote name='Malik112099']I don't understand why people are bitching.....Yeah, its your phone but you want to use it on THEIR network. That's like buying a bed and then bitching when the house you want to use it in costs money. You want to use their cellular network you have to play by their rules.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but the problem is some only want to use the VOICE network and not the DATA network.

That should be an option. I mean my LG Voyager has a web browser and e-mail program, I could pay for a data plan to use it if I want. Or I can do what I do and only pay for voice and text and not use the internet. It's not like I'm using the data network and not paying for it.

Why should smart phones be any different? Why shouldn't we have the option to buy an iPhone and just not use the 3G data network? And just use the voice and text service we pay for, and use WiFi for the internet features? It just makes no sense when they have some phones with net/e-mail capabilities that you can get without buying a data plan, and other phones that you can't.

I want discovery channel, food network and nick jr without having to pay for packages that come with a ton of shit I don't want. But guess what? It's a service. You take what they offer or go elsewhere. You want that specific phone bur don't want to pay the added cost to use it? Boo fucking hoo. Make a choice instead of crying for something you aren't going to get.

Oh I don't think it's any huge deal.

It just sucks that there's no option for getting a phone with a good calendar, app store etc. that doesn't require a data plan.

You'd think sprint, T-mobile or any of the other smaller companies getting trounced by Verizon and AT&T would put out some cool phones with those features and no data attached to try and lure customers away from those two companies since they can't get the iPhone currently and can't compete in terms of network coverage with Verizon etc.

Right now there's nothing to do but make the choice to not own a phone with such features since I have 0 use for 3G coverage since I'm around a PC all frickin' day and don't want internet and e-mail bugging me when I'm out and about. It would be nice to have more options for those of us who don't need 3G, but c'est la vie.

On the TV front, get DirecTV as those channels all come in the cheapest package. :D Cable screws you by putting them on digital and making you pay for a box and remote etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']On the TV front, get DirecTV as those channels all come in the cheapest package. :D Cable screws you by putting them on digital and making you pay for a box and remote etc.[/QUOTE]

they all screw you on the little kid channels...the only way to get sprout, nick jr, disney etc is to get a higher channel package. Also, I'm not counting the "deals" that last for 6-12 months before the price of the package doubles.

bread's done
Back