Can Gamestop rightfully do this?

Blackshear

CAGiversary!
So I use the inventory search for Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO for XBox on the GameStop website yielding a result at a nearby location. I head on over to the GameStop and ask the employee for it and he's like:

Employee: We don't have it for XBox but we do have a PS2 copy *walks over and points it out*

Me: I was needing the xbox version though

Employee: Yeah, well we don't have it.....

Me: I've been having trouble finding a copy, it seems a little hard to find (I didn't mention I did the GS inventory search)

Employee: Yeah, it is... *smiles* well... we do actually have 1 copy but the manager says we can't sell it.

Me: Then what's the point of having it then?

Employee: *smiles* Yeah, I hear ya... but he says its hard to find and wants it for us to be able to play. (Why he would actually admit this to a customer is beyond me)

Me: Oh.. ok thanks *browses for a bit and leaves*

It kinda pissed me off.. are they even allowed to intentionally keep from selling games like that? It seems like that would definately be against policy though I've never worked there and know that several people on these boards do... I'm not gonna go to the store and stir up a bunch of shit or anything, I'll get a copy eventually, I'm just curious.

Thanks

This has happened to me a few times... an employee admitted to a friend over the phone that "Yea, we did get those games in... but the manager got them as soon as they were traded in, hes ALWAYS getting the good games like that".

I was also told that certain rare, expensive on ebay games that pop in are on extended hold... one guy told me a game was on hold for a few days, or they just tell me "we don't have it, the locator is wrong, sorry".

Thanks for that link, been trying to get through to a DM for awhile now, not only that but the manager is incredibly rude when you go in and ask for a game that he's probably hoarding.

I'm pretty sure it has to be against policy... I don't mind the employees getting a game for themselves, but to have some kind of hold on all the rare games that slide through the store is a little ridiculous. It's usually a miracle or some kind of divine intervention that I can nab an RPG I'm missing from my collection at one of these stores.

I'm still not sure how I managed to grab a mint and complete Marvel Vs Capcom 2 from Gamestop.

i was chatting with an eb manager recently who said they have bins in the back where employees put their games on hold. he said it's fine that they do that, but he just took out a bunch and put them for sale because they had been on hold for months. :\

pretty lame, but that's how it works.

yeah i have two friends who manage an eb and one of them put my smackdown 2006 on hold because he wanted to buy it...he also did that with a guitar hero trade in.IMO i dont think eb cares because their employees are still paying for the items so they only lose a little on a near garuntee transaction

My local one does that alot. If you have an ebayer working there good luck. Just call up the district manager and complain.

There's nothing wrong with a worker buying all the good games, one of the perks of working there. However, if they're not PAYING for it and are just keeping it to play, that's a different story

Tell him you'll pay $300 for it. When his eyes bulge and he brings the game back, hold up a print out from the website and say, "I changed my mind, I'll be paying this price, thanks."

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Tell him you'll pay $300 for it. When his eyes bulge and he brings the game back, hold up a print out from the website and say, "I changed my mind, I'll be paying this price, thanks."[/QUOTE]

Gamestop does not honor Gamestop.com's prices, so that wouldn't work anyways.

Valkyrie Profile is $37.99 online... in store its $59.99.

Well, I can't find another copy around me... I called the other store that the locator gave me and the employee immediately told me they didn't have it...

There really isn't much on EBay either.. a couple disk only auctions and a complete "used but plays great" (aka scratched more than a cats ass) copy..

I'm thinking about ordering it from EB online for 24.99 complete, a good deal if the disk is in decent shape... have you guys had good experiences ording preplayed stuff from EB? Or does anyone know a reputable source I can buy this from online?

Thanks

Lucky for me,one of employee I know very well hold rare games for me like Suikoden II,Marvel vs capcom 2 and Phoenix Wright.Too bad,they relocated him to another location that barely get any good tradins.

I can understand employees grabbing the rare games, as Yusuke-Urameshi- said "one of the perks of working there." But, if the person or persons continues to grab the rare games for eBay purposes then I can understand why costumers get angry, especially when you travel a great distance in hopes of acquiring a complete, rare game. I never encountered such a problem, I was able to find all the rare games sitting out. Good luck contacting the DM, it might help or it might not.

[quote name='Blackshear']Well, I can't find another copy around me... I called the other store that the locator gave me and the employee immediately told me they didn't have it...
[/QUOTE]

Thats my favorite line. When they immediately say no, you know its on hold for an employee. It could have been sold, but I doubt it.

It's like "Excuse me, do you have suiko..." "NO" Since I'm pretty sure they don't have the store stock memorized, but they know whats on hold for others, i'm gonna assume its on hold.

[quote name='Roufuss']Gamestop does not honor Gamestop.com's prices, so that wouldn't work anyways.

Valkyrie Profile is $37.99 online... in store its $59.99.[/quote]

:lol:

I was just kidding anyways.

Did you try estarland.com? They gaurantee the games to be complete and every used game I've gotten from them is practically mint. It's more expensive but it's worth it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Gamestop does not honor Gamestop.com's prices, so that wouldn't work anyways.

Valkyrie Profile is $37.99 online... in store its $59.99.[/QUOTE]

Holy isht, really? Lol, we have one in our store(EB) with box, manual and in really good condition. We still have an old sticker price of $24.99. I wonder if that is still the price.

I know in our store we have a few rare psone games. No one ever buys them here, it doesn't fit the demographic. Anything ps1 that is $10 and up never sells.

And no I don't ebay, that's why they are still sitting there. I could care less.

[quote name='Dkellar']I can understand employees grabbing the rare games, as Yusuke-Urameshi- said "one of the perks of working there." But, if the person or persons continues to grab the rare games for eBay purposes then I can understand why costumers get angry, especially when you travel a great distance in hopes of acquiring a complete, rare game. I never encountered such a problem, I was able to find all the rare games sitting out. Good luck contacting the DM, it might help or it might not.[/quote]
If they are ebaying the items, they can get in deep shit with the company. Find out if he does and just say you'll report him, that'll get him to get the game to you.

[quote name='allout1986']If they are ebaying the items, they can get in deep shit with the company. Find out if he does and just say you'll report him, that'll get him to get the game to you.[/quote]

Gamestop can't find enough employees as it is. I've gone into a couple the last few days and I've only seen one guy at every store. They don't give a shit as long as they get their money. If it comes from the employees or the public, it doesn't matter as long as it's greenbacks in the company treasure chest. The only way they'll take notice is a boycott. We can keep bitching about Gamestop but as long as we shop there, they hold the power.

They can get plenty of employees. Problem is they are cheap. They just have one person working most of the day. They don't want to pay for more employees and most of the time it's really needed.

[quote name='depascal22']Gamestop can't find enough employees as it is. I've gone into a couple the last few days and I've only seen one guy at every store. They don't give a shit as long as they get their money. If it comes from the employees or the public, it doesn't matter as long as it's greenbacks in the company treasure chest. The only way they'll take notice is a boycott. We can keep bitching about Gamestop but as long as we shop there, they hold the power.[/quote]

That's the way it is with most retail stores.

But yet we still go on and on about how it's so unfair how they treat us. Well, how's a pimp gonna treat a whore? You don't get any cash by being nice.

[quote name='depascal22']Did you try estarland.com? They gaurantee the games to be complete and every used game I've gotten from them is practically mint. It's more expensive but it's worth it.[/quote]
Woah, they have it for 15.96 complete, awsome.. thanks; I'll probably be going with this.

[quote name='depascal22']But yet we still go on and on about how it's so unfair how they treat us. Well, how's a pimp gonna treat a whore? You don't get any cash by being nice.[/quote]

That is true too.

It is also against company policy to sell product that you bought using your discount for 1 year, so if they are doing that and it goes up through the correct channel, then they could loose their jobs. Most companies are strick about this (if they find out)

This is an odd thought but has anyone had any friends working in stores or ended up befriending people who work in game stores? I've done a bit of favors for some of the people working in my local EBs before in response to them placing a hold or two on a game for me and now I have a few employees who let me know what to keep my eyes open for when I'm shopping elsewhere. The bonus is that they'll keep their eyes peeled in case any particular games I'm looking for ever happen to come in.

Also, this works well if you happen to befriend a manager of a game store. Then again, when you're a regular in the store and you're dropping at least $700 to $1,000 by yourself for several years, some managers who stay in a particular location know that you're a good customer and will help you however they can.

Oh well, just some thoughts. It may be particularly useful if you're having trouble grabbing games in your area. Surprisingly enough, there are still a lot of people out there who have trouble finding the games they want. Give someone else a little bit of help when they need it and the response can be amazing.

[quote name='Roufuss']Thats my favorite line. When they immediately say no, you know its on hold for an employee. It could have been sold, but I doubt it.

It's like "Excuse me, do you have suiko..." "NO" Since I'm pretty sure they don't have the store stock memorized, but they know whats on hold for others, i'm gonna assume its on hold.[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised. I remember a lot of what's in my store.

[quote name='Scoobert']Holy isht, really? Lol, we have one in our store(EB) with box, manual and in really good condition. We still have an old sticker price of $24.99. I wonder if that is still the price.

I know in our store we have a few rare psone games. No one ever buys them here, it doesn't fit the demographic. Anything ps1 that is $10 and up never sells.

And no I don't ebay, that's why they are still sitting there. I could care less.[/QUOTE]

Hi, just wondering what rare games you have there? my the eb games in buffalo sucks. I'd be happy to buy some from your store. Let me know. I'm starting to build my ps1 collection. the n64 collection is now complete!

Thanx

BTW, I did end up ordering Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO from estarland.com (cheaper than I would have paid @ GS anyways), thanks depascal.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The jobs sucks and they work for minimum wage. They need to have some perks.[/QUOTE]

Working retail sucks! Having to deal with the public is never fun, Ignorant people and kids that smell, and others who want everything for nothing. Then there are those who trade in broken games for store credit. Let's see some of you do inventory till 3 am and then see how much you like working at a games tore. They also get robbed! Give the employes at the major game stores a break. If they ebay the rare games, good for them they just should keep it quiet. Ebay is meant for those looking for rare games, just find a good seller and you have nothing to worry about. - but at the same time i'm sick of all the corporate chain stores. Gamecrazy has a sale but their computers are never up to date with the sale prices or info, then they open games and still sell them as new, what the hell??? . Eb has the worst damn stickers on their games and then they put more stickers on the games when you cash out. Eb alo has the wrost prices. $49.99 for marvel vs. capcom 2. SCREW THEM!:bomb: Gamestop isn't that bad. I'm also sick of being offered the buyer protection plans. ENOUGH ALREADY! :drool:

[quote name='shes_history']Working retail sucks! Having to deal with the public is never fun, Ignorant people and kids that smell, and others who want everything for nothing. Then there are those who trade in broken games for store credit. Let's see some of you do inventory till 3 am and then see how much you like working at a games tore. They also get robbed! Give the employes at the major game stores a break. If they ebay the rare games, good for them they just should keep it quiet. Ebay is meant for those looking for rare games, just find a good seller and you have nothing to worry about. - but at the same time i'm sick of all the corporate chain stores. Gamecrazy has a sale but their computers are never up to date with the sale prices or info, then they open games and still sell them as new, what the hell??? . Eb has the worst damn stickers on their games and then they put more stickers on the games when you cash out. Eb alo has the wrost prices. $49.99 for marvel vs. capcom 2. SCREW THEM!:bomb: Gamestop isn't that bad. I'm also sick of being offered the buyer protection plans. ENOUGH ALREADY! :drool:[/quote]

FYI, Gamestop owns EB Games now, so prices will be universal between the two.

Also, gutting games (opening them) is common practice at all three of those stores. It's so they don't grow legs and walk out the door.

And yes, $49.99 for Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is high in your mind, but they may have reasons to keep it at that price. The title is actually harder to come by because they didn't print as many of them. Also, the game is in such high demand that if they get one in, it typically sells that day or the next. Unfortunately too, many people will pick up the rare games not even to play, but to put on ebay which prices are inflated even more.

[quote name='shes_history'] Eb alo has the wrost prices. $49.99 for marvel vs. capcom 2. SCREW THEM!:bomb: [/QUOTE]

Try buying it on Ebay, where prices are 75 - 80, and $45 (after the discount card) is a steal.

I traded in some old xbox accessories towards it (don't even have an xbox anymore) and picked it up for $25 :D

[quote name='Blackshear']BTW, I did end up ordering Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO from estarland.com (cheaper than I would have paid @ GS anyways), thanks depascal.[/quote]

My pleasure man. Feels good to help out another CAG. Estarland has a great Dreamcast selection also. I get most of my hard to find games from them.

[quote name='Kuros']You'd be surprised. I remember a lot of what's in my store.[/QUOTE]

Yup, especially if it's a rare game. I know that we definately don't have a copy of Suikoden 2 because if we did, I would have grabbed it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Try buying it on Ebay, where prices are 75 - 80, and $45 (after the discount card) is a steal.

I traded in some old xbox accessories towards it (don't even have an xbox anymore) and picked it up for $25 :D[/QUOTE]

My GR has a used one for $32...I'll have to grab it.

Might also want to note that Ebgames recently changed the adhesive on their yellow used stickers, they now peel off really eaisly off almost anything (i was even able to get . Note this applies to only the NEW yellow stickers so there could be merchandise in the store that still has the old style stickers on it.

Just to update, Capcom vs SNK 2 EO came in the mail today, and it is in brand new condition, I'll def be using estarland again.

[quote name='shes_history']Working retail sucks! Having to deal with the public is never fun, Ignorant people and kids that smell, and others who want everything for nothing. [/quote]

I did retail for seven years. I quit last month even though I had no solid job offers because I couldn't deal with it anymore. I am not an angry or violent person but I was SORELY tempted to go off on more than one occasion.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Can we just say they can do whatever the fuck they want in their own store and just lock this?[/quote]

Word.

bread's done
Back