Can Someone explain something that I just can't seem to understand?

Organization_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I hear people, time and again, saying how Rock Band has better gameplay than Guitar Hero, and I just don't get it. I've played both GH (WT/5) and RB 1 and 2, and they all play almost identical. Is there something I just don't get, or are people just riding Rock Band's nuts because it's another brown/gray game opposed to Guitar Hero's colorful aesthetic nature?

I've been wondering about this as well. Granted, I haven't played Guitar Hero since the second one.

I'm into Rock Band more for the song lists and their extensive DLC. But for some reason I assumed it and GH were close to the same gameplay-wise.

I don't know if this answers your question or not, but I play Rock Band because I like the aesthetics of it and how it's designed. It's less deliquent than GH in my opinion. It's also a bit easier than GH. I also like it because of it's extensive DL content and export options. I will admit though - GH has a better tracklist, on the discs, anyway.

Play GH2 and compare it to 4/5, you should be better able to understand why people complain. The input windows for notes/hammer ons are waaaaay waaaay bigger after 2.

Rockband has smaller input windows than GH, as far as I can tell, and people might have a preference on the way some of the songs are charted by game.

Rock Band charting is more authentic than Guitar Hero's. In GH, they just throw a bunch of random notes into songs to make them harder at higher difficulty levels.

The user interface on Rock Band is much better.

The charting in Rock Band is much better.

The timing on Rock Band is much better.

Rock Band does not have "Open Notes" or the notes you can just tap instead of strumming (the transparent notes)

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but I can't stand Guitar Hero and am an avid Rock Band fan.

I enjoy 'em both, but GH does tend to have make-believe notes tossed in. Neversoft's more likely to make you play keyboard segments on the guitar, too, though Harmonix isn't guilt-free there, either. Of course, Rock Band 3 will solve that problem.

It seems that in general, Neversoft treats their games like games - they're more about the points. Harmonix is more about the music.

Neversoft's approach, arguably, makes sense, but it's that subtle distinction that makes Rock Band feel more authentic. At least, insofar as you can feel authentic wailing away on plastic undersized faux instruments.

Ultimately, I'll keep getting both series' games. But I'll get RB3 when it comes out, and everything else when it drops to $20. (That includes you, Green Day Rock Band.)

[quote name='Halo05']Rock Band charting is more authentic than Guitar Hero's. In GH, they just throw a bunch of random notes into songs to make them harder at higher difficulty levels.[/QUOTE]

This

Alright. I appreciate all your guys input. I just didn't get it.

On another note, Neversoft's sister Freestyle blows both Neversoft and Harmonix out of the water with their DJ Hero franchise.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I hear people, time and again, saying how Rock Band has better gameplay than Guitar Hero, and I just don't get it. I've played both GH (WT/5) and RB 1 and 2, and they all play almost identical. Is there something I just don't get, or are people just riding Rock Band's nuts because it's another brown/gray game opposed to Guitar Hero's colorful aesthetic nature?[/QUOTE]

lolwut? Have you even played a RB game, or are you just going on random screencaps. RB has a colorful aesthetic nature, GH has a bunch of random shit designed to just look aesthetic without actually being it.

Rockband is more of the hip cool band, that the trendier people dig, where as Guitar Hero is more like the poser band that's more worried about getting a fat check then actually being any good.

having played them both and not being able to tell the difference for yourself, what does it matter?

i will say this though, you can't have possibly played any instrument other than guitar in the games if you couldn't see a difference.

when i want to play plastic guitars, guitar hero is the game of choice for me. rock band is far too stiff; playing the guitar is a very fluid thing, and the rock band series has never really caught on to that. however, when it comes to keeping a beat, thats a whole nother story. the drums benefit from the rigidity of rock band.

I prefer Rock Band because it feels more friendly to my friends that aren't really good at games when they fail out of a song. Also, it doesn't feel like it's focused on guitar, I know it's called Guitar Hero and all, but when you add more instruments into the mix you should make them feel welcome. Guitar Hero 4/5 just feel like shitty games to me. Guitar Hero 3 was the last one that I really liked at all.

Now that's another thing I don't get. Guitar Hero 3, WT, 5, SH, Metallic, Van Halen, and Aerosmith ALL play the exact same when it comes to guitar. I know people mentioned random notes in the songs in GH, but that has ALWAYS been the case. I can't understand why people say GH3 was the last good GH game. Like I said, they all play the exact same anyway, so what are you basing that statement on?

I'm basing it on the presentation and how I just personally feel. The third game was very well done and I really enjoyed it. It struck a nice balance between hard songs and easy songs and songs I want to play. Four and five were both bleh and I had either already played those songs in another game (Rock Band 1/2 through DLC) or had no interest in playing them at all. And I'm not saying it was the last good GH game, just the last one I really liked or enjoyed. I have World Tour... I played it once to download the Mario and Link songs then it went on my shelf and I never plan on playing it again.

Guitar Hero 6 looks awful, too. Brutal Legend was better.

I prefer Rock Band because when I got into the games they were better at DLC and exporting of songs. I know Guitar Hero is finally coming around to doing that, but considering I don't want to invest into two franchises, it's too little too late. When I've played Guitar Hero it has been a fine game and not all that different to me.

RB3 is going to be a big deal for me. I wasn't interested in getting either (I've got RB1 instruments with LRB and BRB currently) until I learned about RB3's move toward realistic, and actually real, instruments. I'm learning electric guitar now, and this is going to be an awesome supplement to lessons. At least I certainly hope so. I hope it will let me plug in my current electric guitar, but I suspect not. Probably I'll have to splurge for the Pro guitar (which is combination electric guitar and RB3 controller.) Also one of my kids is learning keyboard, so ditto there, though in his case we don't have a MIDI keyboard, so we'll want the RB3 one. I *hope* we can also hook it up to our computer and not just to RB3. I'm interested in learning keyboard at some point too. The drums were the start of something better, and RB3 would seem to be finally taken that step. So, with RB3, there's no comparison. Also note that if these games are now using real instruments, I'm really, really, really hoping that this also brings cross-platform instruments. I really hate that you can't use the 360 RB guitar with the Wii version of RB and vice versa. I use to have the Wii version of RB2 and I had to sell it all and then buy the 360 instruments. In fact it was a downgrade as I had RB2 instruments and now I've got RB1 instruments (from Beatles Value Bundle.) That just plain sucks. So if RB3 bring cross-platform instruments, it will get my vote even more so!

Really? Rock Band 3 is going to use actual instruments? I think it may be time for people to drop Guitar Hero and/or Rock Band and just learn to play the instruments already.

But I don't want to play a real instrument. I mean, I play piano, but it's not the same as playing a game. That's like saying that everyone should give up Madden and just play real football.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']But I don't want to play a real instrument. I mean, I play piano, but it's not the same as playing a game. That's like saying that everyone should give up Madden and just play real football.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']But I don't want to play a real instrument. I mean, I play piano, but it's not the same as playing a game. That's like saying that everyone should give up Madden and just play real football.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but madden isn't aiming for 100% authenticity. Their games aren't controlled with an actual football, whereas (whoever said it before) Rock Band 3 is going to have actual guitars, drums, whatever as the controllers. The difference between your retarded madden logic is, Madden is still just trying to be a football videogame. Rock Band is trying to do away with the video game part, and just make it a bunch of musical instruments in your living room.

bread's done
Back