Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='collector42']This story just screams bullshit.

So you--err--your friend, buys you a game for a system you don't own (you guys talk much?), pays cash and immediately tosses the receipt. 'Cause, you know--he's so sure you actually own the system in question he can toss that receipt. Though I suppose it would suck to open it and find the disc snapped in half...

You don't list what game it was either.

So I can only assume "your friend" bought a clearance game that either the store didn't have any more of for the system you own, or more likely the one you bought was discounted, and the version for the system you own was not.

Please don't abuse the return policies of corporations with bullshit like this--I beg of you.

We used to be able to buy electronics at Costco, and if my receiver died 6 years later they'd refund me! But no, people decided to start buying TVs for the sole purpose of "yearly upgrades". Never pay a penny more and just upgrade your TV! Hell, buy a projector and burn the bulb out--return it and get a new one!

Costco had some guy return a PS2--TWO--get his money back and apply it to a PS3 claiming he was no longer satisfied with it.

So when you invent stories to format swap software with no receipt, eventually companies turf their return policies. Walmart makes lots of money blah blah blah--I'm aware--but your actions hurt other consumers--and yourself--it just takes time...

If you'd claimed your clueless grandmother bought you the game I'd be more inclined to believe you--but your friend doesn't know what system you have and goes out and buys you games? A game you won't name because we'll recognize it as a recent system-specific clearance sale? Come on.

(Feel free to take some time to flesh out your story--find a game that's the same price on both systems and claim its the game he gave you etc. etc.)

/grabs popcorn[/QUOTE]

Jeez getting pretty harsh don't you think. It's actually a recent game Persona 4 Arena. I have both xbox 360 and Ps3 he knows that. He just assumed i'd want it for Xbox 360 as I am on it quite often. But i prefer my fighting games on ps3 as I've always played them on that.

I don't know why you have to be so rude in the first place. It isn't like I'm asking for such a big thing from a store. I just want a system swap FOR THE SAME GAME (SAME VALUE)!
Like the game just game out a couple days ago. Plus I never said he threw the receipt away, he lost it. People lose things all the time.

I had asked him right away if we could get it swapped for the PS3 copy anyways but since Persona 4 arena is licensed by Atlus they are known for not having such a high demand in turn there isn't many copies. The best buy in his area only had xbox 360 copies left when he went back to see what he could do for me. That's why I came here to ask if I could try my best buy.

I don't care if they say no it isn't like it is the end of the world, worst case scenario is I can try to trade it online, or sell it to re-buy it for ps3 on ebay or any place that still has it available.

And the link ragnar posted to the trading part of the forums is the game i'm trying to system swap.

[quote name='Average Box']Jeez getting pretty harsh don't you think. It's actually a recent game Persona 4 Arena. I have both xbox 360 and Ps3 he knows that. He just assumed i'd want it for Xbox 360 as I am on it quite often. But i prefer my fighting games on ps3 as I've always played them on that.

I don't know why you have to be so rude in the first place. It isn't like I'm asking for such a big thing from a store. I just want a system swap FOR THE SAME GAME (SAME VALUE)!
Like the game just game out a couple days ago. Plus I never said he threw the receipt away, he lost it. People lose things all the time.

I had asked him right away if we could get it swapped for the PS3 copy anyways but since Persona 4 arena is licensed by Atlus they are known for not having such a high demand in turn there isn't many copies. The best buy in his area only had xbox 360 copies left when he went back to see what he could do for me. That's why I came here to ask if I could try my best buy.

I don't care if they say no it isn't like it is the end of the world, worst case scenario is I can try to trade it online, or sell it to re-buy it for ps3 on ebay or any place that still has it available.

And the link ragnar posted to the trading part of the forums is the game i'm trying to system swap.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I took "Got it for the wrong system" in the wrong context, not realizing wrong system meant a preference--not that you didn't own that system.

I called it wrong. Sorry to come down on you like a bag of hammers. Was previously reading RFD before swinging by CAG. Must have brought some of that rage over here.

Apologies.

[quote name='collector42']Fair enough. I took "Got it for the wrong system" in the wrong context, not realizing wrong system meant a preference--not that you didn't own that system.

I called it wrong. Sorry to come down on you like a bag of hammers. Was previously reading RFD before swinging by CAG. Must have brought some of that rage over here.

Apologies.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about it. It's partially my fault for not explaining completely.

If I preorder a game instore at Best Buy, do I get the extra 800 Reward Zone bonus points? Pokemon Black 2 has it listed online, but I've never preordered in an actual BB before.

Yes you do! And from my experience you get the 800 pts. as soon as you pick up the game on release day. Online you have to wait.

You actually don't get the points applied towards a gift cert until 36 days after purchase, they go into pending status until then. I guess to prevent people from just returning product and claiming points.

Side note, I have had to email them about missing points a couple times from preorders, but it's been pretty easy to get them added.

Good ol Best Buy Rewardzone, they seem to have yet again rewarded me with immediate posted points for a pre-order that I intend to return to the store. It seems if you ordered something more than 36ish days ago they will just post it instead of pending. I've gotten free preorder points from this more than once. It's not that I preorder and return just for points, sometimes I'm not able to cancel in time and they send me something I've changed my mind on. No complaints here!

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Good ol Best Buy Rewardzone, they seem to have yet again rewarded me with immediate posted points for a pre-order that I intend to return to the store. It seems if you ordered something more than 36ish days ago they will just post it instead of pending. I've gotten free preorder points from this more than once. It's not that I preorder and return just for points, sometimes I'm not able to cancel in time and they send me something I've changed my mind on. No complaints here![/QUOTE]

Lol. Usually I get screwed out of reward zone points.

It seems that Best Buy and Futureshop have a new policy with their shipping, they will not leave packages at the door. I've had 3 games now where they left a tag and made me come pick it up, pain in the butt. I really don't like this. I've noticed in the past that their packages said "Do not safe drop" but they always left it. Not any more.

Isn't there a greater chance of the package being stolen if it's left by your door? They've always left it in my mailbox, so dunno how it works wherever you're from.

I've got a screen door between my front door and the entrance so they usually leave it there. You can't see anything in between unless you physically go up to the door.

They normally leave a game in my mail box. They must have changed their policies or maybe canada post has become more strict about following the "do not safe drop" label on the package. I'm pretty sure that label has always been on there but they would leave it anyway.

It really depends on the delivery person and probably the size of the package. My Black 2 from Future Shop was stuff into the mail box. *shrug*

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']It seems that Best Buy and Futureshop have a new policy with their shipping, they will not leave packages at the door. I've had 3 games now where they left a tag and made me come pick it up, pain in the butt. I really don't like this. I've noticed in the past that their packages said "Do not safe drop" but they always left it. Not any more.[/QUOTE]
No? I had my Pokemon black 2 left between my door and screen door yesterday. It probably depends on your mail person for your route.

Interesting. The two games that I was there for, I noticed it was a new mail man. But I've been ordering for years and they've never left a tag... pain in the butt to go pick them up.

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but can you trade in games bought in the United States at a Canadian Best Buy? Once again, sorry if this has been answered.

Used game returns can made withing 14 days if the seal sticker is still in place (or replaced if you have em). If opened you have 30 days to exchange for another copy of the same game. If they're out of stock on your defective/opened game they might swing some sort of deal for a random exchange, store credit, or a refund.

For whatever reason my local BB hasn't been answering their phones. Was wondering if anyone could help me here - this thread could use a bump anyhow.

Okay. Bioshock Infinite has 3 editions of the game: Regular, Premium, and Ultimate Song Bird. On the site it implies only the regular edition is eligible for the 800 RZ points. Does anyone know if the other two are aswell? And does anyone know if there's an option in-store to pre-order the Premium or the Ultimate? last time I pre-ordered from them, they didn't distinguish, and it was basically first come first serve with your receipt stating how much you've deposited.

Also, about EB/GS. The bonus art book that comes with Fire Emblem pre-orders is sold out. If I pre-ordered it, say today, come in morning of release, would they give me an art book as part of first come first serve, or are they still attaching receipts to games and using elastics to hold pre-order bonuses together?

Thanks.

[quote name='VetraX']Also, about EB/GS. The bonus art book that comes with Fire Emblem pre-orders is sold out. If I pre-ordered it, say today, come in morning of release, would they give me an art book as part of first come first serve, or are they still attaching receipts to games and using elastics to hold pre-order bonuses together?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

That's YMMV, each store does whatever it pleases. I only noticed the Fire Emblem preorder myself the other day and wondered if I could still get it instore. But I have no intent to play it soon (still haven't picked up a 3DS), so I tipped off the fence and decided to just grab the artbook off eBay. Usually you can grab pre-order goodies for

BB/FS also have the artbook in-store pre-orders only (supposedly). I ordered one anyway from BB.ca for $5 off and will see if it comes with the artbook.

As for Bioshock, if it doesn't say in the item description there are 800 RZ points, you probably won't get it. Generally can't do CE pre-orders unless they have a pre-order SKU for it.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking YMMV aswell with EB. And yeah, ragnar, I don't have a 3DS either, but I plan to get one with Fire Emblem. Shame the bundle is the original model; I have my eyes on the XL.

Hey, TripleQ, are you picking that up in-store, or getting it delivered to your house? can you even pick-up in-store if you order online?

[quote name='VetraX']For whatever reason my local BB hasn't been answering their phones. Was wondering if anyone could help me here - this thread could use a bump anyhow.

Okay. Bioshock Infinite has 3 editions of the game: Regular, Premium, and Ultimate Song Bird. On the site it implies only the regular edition is eligible for the 800 RZ points. Does anyone know if the other two are aswell? And does anyone know if there's an option in-store to pre-order the Premium or the Ultimate? last time I pre-ordered from them, they didn't distinguish, and it was basically first come first serve with your receipt stating how much you've deposited.

Also, about EB/GS. The bonus art book that comes with Fire Emblem pre-orders is sold out. If I pre-ordered it, say today, come in morning of release, would they give me an art book as part of first come first serve, or are they still attaching receipts to games and using elastics to hold pre-order bonuses together?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The EB Games I asked (in Toronto) said they will give priority to those who pre-ordered first. So unless those who pre-ordered early don't come in until, say, the afternoon, I think it'll be in order. Luckily I'm the first to pre-order at this particular EB and am planning to get there when the store opens.

[quote name='VetraX']Thanks for the replies. I was thinking YMMV aswell with EB. And yeah, ragnar, I don't have a 3DS either, but I plan to get one with Fire Emblem. Shame the bundle is the original model; I have my eyes on the XL.

Hey, TripleQ, are you picking that up in-store, or getting it delivered to your house? can you even pick-up in-store if you order online?[/QUOTE]

Songbird or Fire Emblem? Well, either one, I'm getting it delivered.. if you order online you have to get it delivered. I usually wait for when they have a 10% off sale on games (usually on holidays when stores are closed) and order then unless they already have a $5 off for pre-orders.

Just as a heads up for those that ordered the Bioshock Ultimate Song Bird Edition at Best Buy, as I read this earlier:

BEST BUY CANCELS THOUSANDS OF BIOSHOCK INFINITE PRE-ORDERS [UPDATE]

We’re being told by Best Buy that gift cards will be offered to those affected though they won’t say what denomination those giftcards would be.

Also, these were cancelled because they oversold (not a computer glitch) and can affect orders placed since January.

It's coming from the states. But just in case this is an issue here in Canada.

Anyone else have a similar experience with Best Buy? I had the PS3 version of Metal Gear Rising on preorder since the e3 promo last June. I was buying it for my brother, so I didn't keep track of the game details. I get the game in the mail today, and they sent me like....the limited edition for Xbox 360, but only charged me for the standard game.

What's my best course of action? Since there was a mess up, should I email customer service, or do I skip that and go straight to a BB store to return it? :S

From what I've heard BB/FS totally botched the Metal Gear Rising pre-order. They sent the LE to a bunch of their oldest standard orders, and canceled a lot of actual LE preorders because they somehow ran out of stock. And of course sent out console versions seemingly at random.

Don't give the LE back to them, they aren't going to allocate it to somebody who deserves it. Just flip it on Craigslist or whatever for $150-$200, then buy the PS3 version elsewhere and pocket the change.

I should know this by now, but does anyone know the proper method for me to sell my Xbox Live 3 Month Gold card on here? They don't have it in the database in the marketplace, and I don't see a buy-sell thread anywhere... should I just put it in my sig?

[quote name='ragnar14']From what I've heard BB/FS totally botched the Metal Gear Rising pre-order. They sent the LE to a bunch of their oldest standard orders, and canceled a lot of actual LE preorders because they somehow ran out of stock. And of course sent out console versions seemingly at random.

Don't give the LE back to them, they aren't going to allocate it to somebody who deserves it. Just flip it on Craigslist or whatever for $150-$200, then buy the PS3 version elsewhere and pocket the change.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather not flip it. We have a 360 as well, so we don't need the PS3 version, but I'm sure my conscience would nag at me if I didn't return it. If I go, it's just going to be a pain carrying that thing on the bus since I can't drive.

bread's done
Back