Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

Is it cheaper to buy wii pts online, instore, or from the states?
And if bought from the states, it won't have an issue working, right? (i've heard that XBLive membership cards from the states don't work in canada...).

This isn't really a gaming deal question but it does pertain to gaming. Has anyone seen the Army of Two graphic novel in a store somewhere in the GTA? I really don't want to have to buy it online.

Anyone know the cheapest place to find a slim PS2? I won't pay $120 for a new one, and I don't mind buying used but prefer some limited warranty. I've been following a few leads on kijiji and craigslist, but have found nothing impressive yet.

I even checked EB today and a slim costs $100(?!). I'm sure I could do better.

[quote name='mrelusive']So where should I be preordering/buying my copy of GTAIV (regular) from? I only know that EB is offering a poster on preorders there, but I'm wondering if any other places got any worth-while swag for grabs.[/quote]

Futureshop gives away hats (lame I know). The only decent preorder swag I've seen if Amazon's license plate thing, if it wasn't for staff discounts (which isn't much on games and DVDs [don't get me wrong here we get like $1 off regular price on games/DVDs] but the collector's editions for games usually costs the same as the regular) I'd be getting it at Amazon.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u'] Anyone know the cheapest place to find a slim PS2? I won't pay $120 for a new one, and I don't mind buying used but prefer some limited warranty. I've been following a few leads on kijiji and craigslist, but have found nothing impressive yet.[/quote]

Holy cow that's cheap. But I guess that's why we're here (I kid). If you want completely brand new below $100 you'd have to root around deeeep or wait for a sale (Zellers had one a while back, Slim for $99). You can go to Pacific Mall and ask for a discount I guess, dunno if it was warranty though.

[quote name='spzero']This isn't really a gaming deal question but it does pertain to gaming. Has anyone seen the Army of Two graphic novel in a store somewhere in the GTA? I really don't want to have to buy it online.[/quote]

If you're in Toronto or any major city some comic book store must carry it, if you're in Toronto PM me your contact info, I'll be snooping around looking for some stuff anyway and I'll ask for yah.

[quote name='d_bomb_23']Is it any 4 games? or do they have to have a minimum trade in value like at EB?[/quote]

Minimum 15 dollars each or something like that.

[quote name='Zeitgeist']Hi I have a question:

Where could I find the cheapest (or under 49.99) HD DVD drive for the 360? Any advice?[/quote]
I believe you can order from The Source's website for $40 and have them send it to a store for free pickup? If they still have stock.

Failing that it's probably a bit hard to find one now. Try calling up all your local Blockbusters, they may have them sitting in the back unsold.

[quote name='Zeitgeist']Hi I have a question:

Where could I find the cheapest (or under 49.99) HD DVD drive for the 360? Any advice?[/quote]

Futureshop Queensway in Toronto has two left, one can be put aside if you want, if you're having trouble fidning it. They're $49.99.

[quote name='darkandlong']Ok like seriously, how long do you have to wait to have your damn neoGAF account activated? I've been waiting a damn month.[/quote]

They do all new activations by hand, so every once in a while they'll approve a ton of new junior members. Sometimes people get lucky and sign up right when they do activations, other times you end up waiting forever.

[quote name='darkandlong']Ok like seriously, how long do you have to wait to have your damn neoGAF account activated? I've been waiting a damn month.[/quote]

GAF accounts aren't activated automatically. An admin goes through them every couple of months by hand. I remember my friend's account was activated in October or something but he signed up in May. I had to wait a while for my account to be reactivated when I changed my email as well >_>;

Remember not to use a free email to sign up as that insures you won't get an account. Use your ISP, school, or work email.

Hey I have a question about 360 connections and prices...

I was hoping to get either a VGA or HDMI cable for my 360 for my new TV. Anyone know which is better or are there any preferences? I heard that VGA upconverts normal DVDs to HD without me needing an HD DVD player which is a plus.
Also, I want to use monoprice and I can't find any HDMI cables for 360 so it seems like VGA would be the best choice right?
Any feedback would be great.

[quote name='Zeitgeist']Hey I have a question about 360 connections and prices...

I was hoping to get either a VGA or HDMI cable for my 360 for my new TV. Anyone know which is better or are there any preferences? I heard that VGA upconverts normal DVDs to HD without me needing an HD DVD player which is a plus.
Also, I want to use monoprice and I can't find any HDMI cables for 360 so it seems like VGA would be the best choice right?
Any feedback would be great.[/quote]

I'm not too familiar with the 360, but I believe HDMI is HDMI; thus, any HDMI cable SHOULD work provided that your TV uses it as well. From what I remember, HDMI also transfers both audio AND video, I think VGA is just video specific.
I'd choose HDMI over VGA personally.

HDMI>VGA.

Digital signal so no need for analog to digital conversion. Also carries the audio, but this may or may not be a good thing depending on your HT setup.

Any HDMI cable will be fine.

[quote name='Zowsky']HDMI on the 360 doesn't do Audio I believe[/quote]

If it doesn't do audio, it could be either that
a) TV/Xbox360 not set up correctly
b) TV doesn't support HDMI audio output (early HDMI models didn't always work)

[quote name='Kekumba']Any deals on Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey going on right now?[/quote]

Your Best Bet would be to look at the rogers video close to you and get them under the 2 for 40 deal. Also FS/BB flyers are usually picked apart for any video game deals and have a thread around here. New ones will be out tonightish

[quote name='Kekumba']Any deals on Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey going on right now?[/quote]

i have a sealed mass effect at home, right next to my sealed halo 3...

Anyone see any deals on The World Ends With You? I've been looking into getting this game, but forty bucks for a DS title is more then I'm willing to pay.

[quote name='doctorofstyle']i have a sealed mass effect at home, right next to my sealed halo 3...[/quote]

Sorry, I don't deal with Leafs fans. :whistle2:#

[quote name='JGonspy']Anyone see any deals on The World Ends With You? I've been looking into getting this game, but forty bucks for a DS title is more then I'm willing to pay.[/quote]

Goomba sells for about $30 or so. Much better than $40 + tax. Ask him to order you a copy.

My Edge card expires 05/08. Is that May 1st or May 31st?

May 31st. It's always best to buy the cards right at the beginning of the month >_>

[quote name='JnJosh']what is a fair price for an Unopened 60gb PS3?[/quote]

Personally I would say $479, which was the final price it was sold at when it was discontinued.

[quote name='Icetron']Just wondering, does Rogers do returns/exchanges on their used movies/games?[/quote]

if they are defective, yes

I think you lose shipping unfortunately. I remember reading it when I was checking their site somewhere, but I've never gotten anything online other than pickups.

[quote name='turgore2008']Anyone tried Microplay ? I heard it's just like EB but cheaper.[/quote]

Microplay is great. Especially if you're engaged to a manager. haha

[quote name='Rocky071']Call of Duty 4 -- what's a 'good' price on it and/or where would I be able to get that price?[/quote] The lowest I ever saw it was for 40 bucks at Half.com and the price isn't too hot.

bread's done
Back