Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='Fuzzy']I bought a bunch through Nintendo's online store a few years back to do the same thing. The only problem is that the instruction manuals don't fit in them nicely.[/QUOTE]

Ah really? I was actually wondering about the manuals, I guess I could put them in boxes or something like that. Thanks Fuzzy, you got two birds with one stone on this one! Did you just go to a game cover website and print off the GBA boxart?

[quote name='game_fanatic']Ah really? I was actually wondering about the manuals, I guess I could put them in boxes or something like that. Thanks Fuzzy, you got two birds with one stone on this one! Did you just go to a game cover website and print off the GBA boxart?[/QUOTE]

I don't know where Fuzzy went, but I used http://www.thecoverproject.net for all my covers. I flattened all my GBA boxes with the manuals inside, and I stored everything somewhere in my closet.

And like Fuzzy said, the Nintendo store is the best place to buy them. I think you benefit from buying them in bulk, because IIRC there was a flat rate for shipping (I think it was something pretty low - like $7). I think the prices are like this:

1 - $1
5 - $4
10 - $7

I bought like 50 cases (I think that's the limit per order) from them a little over a year ago and I think I paid around $50 for everything.

[quote name='Kill Phil']I don't know where Fuzzy went, but I used http://www.thecoverproject.net for all my covers. I flattened all my GBA boxes with the manuals inside, and I stored everything somewhere in my closet.

And like Fuzzy said, the Nintendo store is the best place to buy them. I think you benefit from buying them in bulk, because IIRC there was a flat rate for shipping (I think it was something pretty low - like $7). I think the prices are like this:

1 - $1
5 - $4
10 - $7

I bought like 50 cases (I think that's the limit per order) from them a little over a year ago and I think I paid around $50 for everything.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Phil! I know of cdcovers.cc, but I'll definitely check out thecoverproject.net. It seems the Nintendo Store has the best prices so that will be where I snag them. Great idea on flattening the boxes and putting the manuals inside, I'm sure a small CD box from Ikea will do the trick. Thanks again guys!

edit: oh just one more question for anyone, what paper is best for printing off game covers? I'd probably use my mother's Canon printer for printing them off, but I'm iffy on what paper is best.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Thanks Phil! I know of cdcovers.cc, but I'll definitely check out thecoverproject.net. It seems the Nintendo Store has the best prices so that will be where I snag them. Great idea on flattening the boxes and putting the manuals inside, I'm sure a small CD box from Ikea will do the trick. Thanks again guys!

edit: oh just one more question for anyone, what paper is best for printing off game covers? I'd probably use my mother's Canon printer for printing them off, but I'm iffy on what paper is best.[/QUOTE]

Well, in the past I used some decent quality legal-sized paper (I use it for both my GBA and SNES covers) and the quality isn't half bad but it doesn't look "real" enough for me. If you want an official looking print (my OCD does) then glossy paper works best. I'm planning on reprinting all my covers over the summer with glossy paper, but I haven't done too much research into it so I don't know what's best. I don't think my printer (HP Photosmart D7560) does borderless, so my prints with glossy paper always end up being bigger than they should be.

Matte paper also works, but I've never tested it out. I have also heard good things about brochure paper, but I've never been able to find any.

This thread might help you out: http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=2245.0

I guess I'll put this here!

Have any Canadians here been able to find Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love in stores? I'd like to try this unique game and it's received some strong reviews, such as a 9 from IGN. I have both a launch 60 GB PS3 and the Wii so either version is fine.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I guess I'll put this here!

Have any Canadians here been able to find Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love in stores? I'd like to try this unique game and it's received some strong reviews, such as a 9 from IGN. I have both a launch 60 GB PS3 and the Wii so either version is fine.[/QUOTE]

I've seen one or two copies of each version in Gamestops/EBs in my area. I ordered my copy from Gamestop.ca and although the game came out sometime last week I believe, Gamestop didn't have any copies until earlier this week (I received my game in the mail yesterday). If you couldn't find it anywhere, it's possible that they either haven't received it yet, or they're sold out of it (they probably only got enough copies for pre-orders since there's a very low demand for the game). I'm pretty sure you're only going to find the game at a Gamestop or some independent game store.

[quote name='Kill Phil']I've seen one or two copies of each version in Gamestops/EBs in my area. I ordered my copy from Gamestop.ca and although the game came out sometime last week I believe, Gamestop didn't have any copies until earlier this week (I received my game in the mail yesterday). If you couldn't find it anywhere, it's possible that they either haven't received it yet, or they're sold out of it (they probably only got enough copies for pre-orders since there's a very low demand for the game). I'm pretty sure you're only going to find the game at a Gamestop or some independent game store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I'll try Microplay. Ottawa is devoid of Indy stores, unlike the GTA which seemingly has plenty.

[quote name='Kill Phil']Well, in the past I used some decent quality legal-sized paper (I use it for both my GBA and SNES covers) and the quality isn't half bad but it doesn't look "real" enough for me. If you want an official looking print (my OCD does) then glossy paper works best. I'm planning on reprinting all my covers over the summer with glossy paper, but I haven't done too much research into it so I don't know what's best. I don't think my printer (HP Photosmart D7560) does borderless, so my prints with glossy paper always end up being bigger than they should be.

Matte paper also works, but I've never tested it out. I have also heard good things about brochure paper, but I've never been able to find any.

This thread might help you out: http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=2245.0[/QUOTE]
Great thanks again Phil! I found some universal game cases online so I'll definitely grab some of those, and I'll experiment with different paper types and see what works well :D

[quote name='game_fanatic']Great thanks again Phil! I found some universal game cases online so I'll definitely grab some of those, and I'll experiment with different paper types and see what works well :D[/QUOTE]

Universal game cases are pretty pricey, lol. The only place I could find that ships them to Canada, The Video Store Shopper: http://www.shopperinc.com/product.htm?pid=572959&catid= only sells them in orders of 100. I know their website says that you can buy individual cases, but that's "a bug on the site" according to them. Shipping is around $30 I might have paid for duties too, but I can't remember. I bought 100 cases from them and I only had 10 SNES games (hopefully that number will grow thanks to Goozex adding retro games). If you need a lot of cases, it's a pretty good deal, but I wasn't too happy. =P

Edit: Found my invoice. I paid $86.30 USD, including shipping and duties, for 100 cases. Probably not worth it if you don't need that many cases.

What are the chances of pricing parity (with the US) for future releases such as Red Dead Redemption or Alan Wake?

I'd love to start putting down some full deposits for some games but I don't know what price it's going to be.

Anyone know of any good deals for mario galaxy or super paper mario, nephew just got a wii, and loves mario. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Hoping for a reply, any idea about this??????

Has anyone still been able to price-match Just Cause 2 at Future Shop or Best Buy through Walmart.ca? According to the site its still $39.83 so it looks like the deal is still on???

Anyone know of a store that has G.I. Joe action figures in stock? Preferably not the movie ones, but I might want one or two of those also. I was thinking Toys R Us, anywhere else I should look? I'm in Toronto.

maybe some hobby stores... i've been meaning to go to some

or silversnail on queen st, between spadina & university
there are some other similar stores around there too

GGGGGGGIIIIIIIIJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEE

[quote name='kn00tcn']maybe some hobby stores... i've been meaning to go to some

or silversnail on queen st, between spadina & university
there are some other similar stores around there too

GGGGGGGIIIIIIIIJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEE[/QUOTE]
There's this cool action figure and trading card store at Yonge + Gerrard but I don't think their Joe selection is that great. All the good ones came out from 2007-2009, so they probably aren't all over the place any more.

There's Cyber City Comix at Steeles and Bathurst, I've never been in but ya never know.

Surprisingly enough, Zellers and WM miight have something decent.

Silver Snail is a cool shop, I haven't been in ages but I'll definitely be hitting it up for some decorations for my basement apartment :D

Zellers seems to always have complete crap selection for almost everything. Maybe it's just the one I go to. Walmart could have something, but the Canadian ones seem to suck as bad as Zellers when it comes to toys. The comic places are probably a good bet, and that I know that store at Gerrard has some, just not the best ones.

also conventions, apparently there was some 'toronto comic-con' a few weeks ago or something?

i got animenorth to go to in 1.5 months

anything wrong with ordering online?

I just ordered a bunch of em online. The shipping is crazy for carded figures but the store had a 45% off coupon code that offset the $22 shipping. I just thought it'd be nice to pick some up locally for a reasonable price.

[quote name='Norieaga']Hoping for a reply, any idea about this??????

Has anyone still been able to price-match Just Cause 2 at Future Shop or Best Buy through Walmart.ca? According to the site its still $39.83 so it looks like the deal is still on???[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried personally, but I wouldn't see why not. This is apparently the regular price of the game at Walmart and there should be plenty of stock by now. One Walmart in my area ran out of stock when the game came out, but they restocked by the time I went there last weekend (so it's not in "limited quantities"). The Walmart.ca website should be sufficient proof since it lists the prices based on your postal code.

As long as there's stock in your area, I don't see why they would give you a hassle.

Or you could go buy it at Walmart and not get all worked up over price matching. I'm not saying that to be a jerk, it's a real option unless there's no Walmart near you. What would you save, $2 with the price match?

Anyone got any suggestions for Gaming Headests that work for PS3?

Right now I'm looking at those Tritton AX720s, but I'm questioning if I REALLY need the actual surround sound. I know there are cheaper sub-$100 models (by Turtle Beach and Tritton) butI don't know if they are any good or effective.

Basically I'm not Ninja Pro-ing games and it's just so that I can have a much better audio experience while playing games. I have a tiny 20" HDTV in my room and it just doesn't provide a good representation of the audio that is happening in the game. For example, there's just no comparison when I played on my 42" home theatre system while slaughtering Hades in GoW3. The experience just seemed much... "fuller".

Should I just go for the cheaper digital 5.1 option or go for the much better 5.1 surround headsets?

[quote name='spzero']New question: Any reason why a lot of EB's games are $5 more than everyone elses?[/QUOTE]

Because they can get away with it?

I believe their philosophy is to provide good selection, service, but not compete on price.

Guess that makes sense.

I thought it was to counteract the fact that their trade credits do not induce taxes.

[quote name='spzero']Anyone got any suggestions for Gaming Headests that work for PS3?

Right now I'm looking at those Tritton AX720s, but I'm questioning if I REALLY need the actual surround sound. I know there are cheaper sub-$100 models (by Turtle Beach and Tritton) butI don't know if they are any good or effective.

Basically I'm not Ninja Pro-ing games and it's just so that I can have a much better audio experience while playing games. I have a tiny 20" HDTV in my room and it just doesn't provide a good representation of the audio that is happening in the game. For example, there's just no comparison when I played on my 42" home theatre system while slaughtering Hades in GoW3. The experience just seemed much... "fuller".

Should I just go for the cheaper digital 5.1 option or go for the much better 5.1 surround headsets?[/QUOTE]

They're a lot of moula, but the Astro A40 Gaming System is quite well-received around the net, but it'll cost you quite a bit of cash. Granted, you'll never have to buy a set of gaming headphones or a gaming headset ever again.

[quote name='game_fanatic']They're a lot of moula, but the Astro A40 Gaming System is quite well-received around the net, but it'll cost you quite a bit of cash. Granted, you'll never have to buy a set of gaming headphones or a gaming headset ever again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input game_fanatic, but I eventually got the AX720s last week and it is serving me fine. I usually don't randomly spend $100+ on anything but I don't regret doing it.

[quote name='spzero']Thanks for the input game_fanatic, but I eventually got the AX720s last week and it is serving me fine. I usually don't randomly spend $100+ on anything but I don't regret doing it.[/QUOTE]

haha yeah i just noticed you asked over a week ago, but as long you got something you're happy with! I don't think I could drop the money they're asking for the A40's, especially since I barely use a headset as it is!

Does anyone have any advice on which external HD to buy to back up my PS3?
Does anyone know if backing up your PS3 copies over the copy protected saves as well? [ Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV etc]
All I know is that it has to be reformatted to the FAT32 format, but I'm not sure which is the most reliable HD to get. Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

[quote name='AndyTwobeats']Does anyone have any advice on which external HD to buy to back up my PS3?
Does anyone know if backing up your PS3 copies over the copy protected saves as well? [ Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV etc]
All I know is that it has to be reformatted to the FAT32 format, but I'm not sure which is the most reliable HD to get. Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's safe to backup with any brand name external drive. HP, WD, Iomega, whatever you can get on sale, and the brand names are the most relaible. The nice thing is that you can back up PC files with the leftover space. When I backed up my PS3 using the PS3's backup option, all my locked saves transfered over, such as Rock Band, plus the DLC.
Some good advice might be to get rid of any unnecessary data on your PS3 before backing up. If you have any songs or videos you can get from elsewhere, then delete them. This will make your backup file smaller and speed up the process a bit.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I'd say it's safe to backup with any brand name external drive. HP, WD, Iomega, whatever you can get on sale, and the brand names are the most relaible. The nice thing is that you can back up PC files with the leftover space. When I backed up my PS3 using the PS3's backup option, all my locked saves transfered over, such as Rock Band, plus the DLC.
Some good advice might be to get rid of any unnecessary data on your PS3 before backing up. If you have any songs or videos you can get from elsewhere, then delete them. This will make your backup file smaller and speed up the process a bit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for the help :D

Question: Are there any differences in terms of component cables?

I saw a universal one at Gamestop for $13. The official Nintendo ones are $40.

[quote name='spzero']Question: Are there any differences in terms of component cables?

I saw a universal one at Gamestop for $13. The official Nintendo ones are $40.[/QUOTE]

I have the universal one from EB/GS and find them good. I assume they are pretty much identical. ]

Or you can buy them off monoprice for $3.91 USD (approx $8.05 USD shipped): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083007&p_id=5689&seq=1&format=2

I have received cables as quick as 2 days from monoprice.

I should of got the monoprice ones. Friends have this one and they are really good. They don't look cheaply made like the EB/GS ones.

[quote name='shadow_nine']I have the universal one from EB/GS and find them good. I assume they are pretty much identical. ]

Or you can buy them off monoprice for $3.91 USD (approx $8.05 USD shipped): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083007&p_id=5689&seq=1&format=2

I have received cables as quick as 2 days from monoprice.

I should of got the monoprice ones. Friends have this one and they are really good. They don't look cheaply made like the EB/GS ones.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Went for the monoprice one.

Anyone know where I can find little 4x6" ziplock bags in Toronto? I found some in a dollar store inside of No Frills once, but it was out of town and I don't know of another No Frills with a dollar store inside. They were geared towards arts & crafts bead storage but they were just mini-ziplocks.

I am looking to upgrade to a slim ps3 (need the smaller form factor for travelling) and found one used. I wanted to know what other people thought of this deal and if I should go through with it, or maybe wait if anyone heard of a price drop or sale coming.

Basically it is a few month old 250GB Slim with Singstar for $300. Then I was planning to sell off my year old 80gb for $200ish.

Whatcha think? Go for it or wait for a better deal?

I wouldn't buy a used PS3, especially for only $50 off, get a new 120GB for the same price. Don't bother waiting for a price cut, but you should wait for the new PS3 models that are more energy efficient, they should be showing up in stores any time now.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I wouldn't buy a used PS3, especially for only $50 off, get a new 120GB for the same price. Don't bother waiting for a price cut, but you should wait for the new PS3 models that are more energy efficient, they should be showing up in stores any time now.[/QUOTE]

Well that deal is about $100 off after taxes and comes with a free game. I dont see a problem with buying a used PS3 as long as it is a slim. If you are in no rush you can either wait for a slim for $200-230 or wait for a sale that includes a game or two with the slim.

I didn't know there was a "new" slim that was energy efficient. I mean, this one is a slim 250Gb and ya like killmak says, its about 100 off after taxes and a game. I will be selling my old one for hopefully somewhere around $200.

The thing is I don't have the luxury of time as I will be traveling very soon. So my two options were to find a used one or buy a new one.
New 120GB slim $299 + tax with no deals or games or anything (not even sure if this will even happen anytime soon either)
or a couple month old 250GB slim + game (even if it is a crappy one) for $300

[quote name='strife18']I didn't know there was a "new" slim that was energy efficient. I mean, this one is a slim 250Gb and ya like killmak says, its about 100 off after taxes and a game. I will be selling my old one for hopefully somewhere around $200.

The thing is I don't have the luxury of time as I will be traveling very soon. So my two options were to find a used one or buy a new one.
New 120GB slim $299 + tax with no deals or games or anything (not even sure if this will even happen anytime soon either)
or a couple month old 250GB slim + game (even if it is a crappy one) for $300[/QUOTE]

If you know for sure it is less 6 months old and if it comes with the reciept then I dont see a reason not to buy it. The slim is a lot more reliable than the older versions so I would say you are getting a pretty good deal. If I were in your situation I would jump all over that deal.

The new slim should save about 5-10% on power. More details here (I know it says 15% but that's just 15% on the one chip, not the entire system). It wouldn't be a deciding factor for me but I suppose it doesn't hurt.

I guess it's a personal taste, but I always buy new myself when it comes to hardware. I use my Cash Back Platinum credit card on electronics and it extends the warranty to two years for free, plus the cash back (1% everywhere and 3% at grocery stores [including RCSS] & gas stations) but that's another story all together I suppose.

If you do decide to go new, the best deal you'll find right now (as far as I'm aware anyway) is at RCSS. They have a "spend over $250, get a $25 gift card" promo on at the moment. So while it doesn't directly save off the console that $25 can be put to purchasing a game or accessories. If you are looking at getting a second controller they have a game + controller combo for the same price as the controller on it's own, so that's an okay deal. The three games you can choose from are decent as well, Uncharted, R&C or GT5 Prologue.

Honestly though, the slim isn't that much smaller than the "phat" in the first place. Sure it uses less power and is cooler but size wise I didn't think it was that huge of a deal. Have you compared them yet? The slim is still a pretty honking unit imo.

/2 cents

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer Wii Store Acounts (Points, Purchases, etc) over to a new console?

I am thinking about trading in my old unit to EBgames for $150, then buying the new Black version on May 9. Not a bad way to score Wii Sports Resort and a free Motion Plus. Couldn't find any info on the Nintendo website.

PS3 slim is less than 1 year old, we don't know for sure yet whether it's that much more reliable than other models. As for buying the used one, I personally just wouldn't buy any console used. If you don't have a problem with doing that, and think it's worth saving the money, go for it.

Thanks for all the insight guys. I think im gonna go for it. All things considered, I already have games + extra controller from my fat one so im not too interested in the RCSS deal. And Ya the slim is less than a year old, I think its only like 6 or 7 months since release so there is almost a minimum of 6 to 7 months left of warranty even if they lied about getting it a 2 months ago.
Form factor wise it does matter, its closer to carrying around a laptop rather than a mini desktop. This will matter alot with the type of travelling im doing. But im not too concerned with power.
Lastly, my fat console i purchased used off kijiji as well and it was a great investment. Of course i got the receipt as well proving it was only purchased the previous month, but im still not too concerned.

Thanks again for the info and considerations, wish me luck when I meet them tomorrow.

so annoying how sites keep comparing the launch ps3 to the slim... to me, the CECHL fat is 'more reliable' since it's almost the same power & chips as when slim launched, but bigger size, so possibly cooler

Well i don't have a launch one, but one of the last revisions of the fat ps3. But I ended up picking up that one off Kijiji and did an ethernet data transfer and it is working perfect. Everything was in mint condition as they had barely used it, I could tell because they left their account on and they weren't signed up on psn, had only played one game, and they supposedly only tried one blu-ray on it.
So overall im pretty happy, now to sell my 80GB version.

bread's done
Back