Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

by one redemption per customer they mean one game per customer, and not "One session of redeeming games", right?

Well, I guess it would have to be, otherwise it'd be too broken.

EDIT: well the RFD people are on it so I guess we'll find out tomorrow

but I now finally have a place to dump my copy of Overlord Minions ;)

Make sure to switch your game cases out and trade in the banged up ones if you've bought any used games that came in scuffed up cases. I try to remember to do that, take off the new case and put on a bad one before trading.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Are purchases on the PS store still tax free like they were just after PSN came back from the hack outage/downtime?[/QUOTE]
To answer my own question, I have my province set to Manitoba if that matters and I just spent $14.99 and was not charged any tax.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']To answer my own question, I have my province set to Manitoba if that matters and I just spent $14.99 and was not charged any tax.[/QUOTE]

From what I read they stopped charging tax during april for all psn stuff. I haven't been charged tax since the network's back up.

I bought the Japan themes plus some DLC just before the outage and there was no tax, I assumed it was cause they were charity donations and the DLC got lumped into that. Then when PS store came back from the outage I bought a couple things with no tax. What I was wondering was whether they fixed that by now (assuming it wasn't intentional) and turns out they haven't. Just clarifying where I'm coming from.

Something strange I've noticed, didn't want to make a new thread. When I've gotten a new credit card and gone back on Bestbuy and Futureshop to update old pre-orders they never ask for the secret ID code on the back of the card, or do Verified by Visa. Kinda weird that they skip the two big security checks. Also when I order from Amazon.com they don't ask for the secret code, not sure about Amazon.ca. I thought it was standard for sites to ask you for that.

Interesting, I just got an email from BB letting me know this:

We have recently learned that some Reward Zone points you were entitled to receive were not attributed to your account. This issue impacted a small number of customers, has been rectified, and you will receive your missing points shortly.

We value your membership and apologize for this mishap.

Thank you for your continued membership.

I make sure to call or email them and get my missing points whenever they don't give them to me (which is 100% of the time) so this is just a bonus. Looks like they gave me around 1200 points. This is funny cause they accidentally gave me double points on my last two pre-orders already. I figure I deserve it after all the hassle I've had to go through to get missing points in the past due to their crappy system.

Where is the cheapest I can get MS points from? I really want to get Third Strike:Online, but want to spend as little as possible. It sucks that I can's just pay for it full-price without the points bullshit, but eh.

[quote name='constellation']Where is the cheapest I can get MS points from? I really want to get Third Strike:Online, but want to spend as little as possible. It sucks that I can's just pay for it full-price without the points bullshit, but eh.[/QUOTE]

Your best bet is waiting for sales and then stockpiling. Superstore had $20 worth of points on for $15, tax free, a few weeks ago, but most of the time the points are the same price everywhere--both in stores and on your console with your credit card.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 360 controller for my PC? I assume it would have to be the wired one. I don't really know anything about 360 controllers. Looks like all the Canadian sites sell them for $50 while Amazon.com has em for $30, nuts. Canada Computers has it on clearance for $38.88 but all out of stock.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone know where I can get a cheap 360 controller for my PC? I assume it would have to be the wired one. I don't really know anything about 360 controllers. Looks like all the Canadian sites sell them for $50 while Amazon.com has em for $30, nuts. Canada Computers has it on clearance for $38.88 but all out of stock.[/QUOTE]

FactoryDirect has their usual refurb units. $30 for a wireless, but they apparently work for PC. You probably want to pick it up instore rather than ship.
http://factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=MS9001

Waaaa, currently sold out at the moment. :whistle2:#

This is strange, I just got the usual type of Rewardzone spam email saying I should pre-order Call of Duty for 800 points, but in the fine print it says Reward Zone bonus points - good for $10 towards anything we sell in-store or online. I got excited, thinking maybe they had enabled rewardzone redemption on the website, went to the Rewardzone site and it still says they're for in-store only. Maybe that text was for the US version, I don't know if they're allowed to use RZ online...

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']This is strange, I just got the usual type of Rewardzone spam email saying I should pre-order Call of Duty for 800 points, but in the fine print it says Reward Zone bonus points - good for $10 towards anything we sell in-store or online. I got excited, thinking maybe they had enabled rewardzone redemption on the website, went to the Rewardzone site and it still says they're for in-store only. Maybe that text was for the US version, I don't know if they're allowed to use RZ online...[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the US can use their RZ points online. This would be exciting if they just let slip something that is upcoming for Canada, RZ points could really use online redemption. Technically you can use them for online orders as long as you use an ISPU, but most of their online sales don't allow that. :roll:

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone know where I can get a cheap 360 controller for my PC? I assume it would have to be the wired one. I don't really know anything about 360 controllers. Looks like all the Canadian sites sell them for $50 while Amazon.com has em for $30, nuts. Canada Computers has it on clearance for $38.88 but all out of stock.[/QUOTE]

If you already have a wireless 360 pad, you can get the 360 wireless receiver to use it on your PC. It's $19.99 but seems kinda hard to find by themselves now. If you don't have a wireless pad already, there's a bundle that comes with a wireless pad and the receiver. A wired 360 pad works too if you want to pay a bit less and not have to worry about batteries.

Thanks for the info bs000 but I just learned today that there's a program called Motionjoy that will let your Dualshock 3 mimic a 360 pad for PC games that only support 360 pads. I'm going to try it out and see how it goes.

[quote name='bs000']If you already have a wireless 360 pad, you can get the 360 wireless receiver to use it on your PC. It's $19.99 but seems kinda hard to find by themselves now. If you don't have a wireless pad already, there's a bundle that comes with a wireless pad and the receiver. A wired 360 pad works too if you want to pay a bit less and not have to worry about batteries.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget dealextreme.com ... they have them for a pretty good price:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/design...controller-gaming-receiver-for-pc-black-56546

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I'm through trading in games, kijiji/craigslist is where it's at. You can get way more money that way.[/QUOTE]

Every province is different when it comes to those. Most of the time, you're better of trading in, than finding someone who will buy your item at the price you want.

Any Canadian retailer have preorders for the Zelda + Gold Wiimote yet? I'm hoping BB have it up before the inevitable Labour Day sale this weekend.

[quote name='Fuzzy']Any Canadian retailer have preorders for the Zelda + Gold Wiimote yet? I'm hoping BB have it up before the inevitable Labour Day sale this weekend.[/QUOTE]

You mean before the inevitable BB Labour Day website crash. Yeah, I agree. I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Every province is different when it comes to those. Most of the time, you're better of trading in, than finding someone who will buy your item at the price you want.[/QUOTE]
I find you just have to have some patience and sometimes deal with pain in the ass people but in the end you get more money than you usually would from a trade in, especially if the game is recent and popular. You can get like $40 for one of those. I sold Need for Speed for $45. I'm in Toronto so I can't say anything about other cities. I know Best Buy has offered $40-45 for really new games but I don't know if that's common, maybe I'm wrong. Cash is better than credit though.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I find you just have to have some patience and sometimes deal with pain in the ass people but in the end you get more money than you usually would from a trade in, especially if the game is recent and popular. You can get like $40 for one of those. I sold Need for Speed for $45. I'm in Toronto so I can't say anything about other cities. I know Best Buy has offered $40-45 for really new games but I don't know if that's common, maybe I'm wrong. Cash is better than credit though.[/QUOTE]

I just checked for Quebec, not really that great deals tbh. Better off trading in. At least BB/FS offer bonus cash for trading in, unlike Gamestop.

Anybody seen a decent deal on a Logitech Driving Force GT steering wheel or the Logitech G25 or G27? Looking for something for my Gran Turismo 5-ing.

I ordered a game online from Best Buy which is due for delivery next week. However, my cousin bought the same game in store and already opened it. Can I return my sealed copy of the game once it gets delivered with my cousin's receipt for a full refund, or does the game have to match the receipt?

You can return it as long as it is identical in every way. The UPC will be no different and will scan the same. This is true 99% of the time as long as it's not a special edition, or retail exclusive to another store. Best of luck!

Even if it's a special edition, Goomba. I once returned Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe Kollector's Edition to BestBuy. The big box was opened, but the actual game was still sealed, which was the only thing that mattered to them. Also, like you said, as long as it has the same UPC.

In the past I've gotten seemingly fake responses to my kijiji/craigslist ads where they will give some brief generic response like "I want it when do you want to meet" and then the reply-to email is different than the sending one. When you email them back you never get another response. It's pretty obvious these are scams or someone screwing around. I just listed my 3DS today and having some trouble telling if two responses I've received were fake or not.

This one I got from Kijiji 7 minutes after posting my ad, it seems pretty fake but there is no alternate reply-to address: "heyyy when do u wanna meet up i wanna buy it"

The second one I got from Craigslist about 2 hours after I posted my ad there and again, no alternate reply-to address: "i will lkie to buy it get back to me now"

Does anyone have any ideas on whether these two replies are fake or scams? I ended up replying to both and asked if they were for real and that their messages don't look right.

Figured. I wasn't too worried about that, Yahoo mail has been great when it comes to spam. I'm gonna quit replying to these short generic responses from now on, was just eager to sell my 3DS.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']
The second one I got from Craigslist about 2 hours after I posted my ad there and again, no alternate reply-to address: "i will lkie to buy it get back to me now"
[/QUOTE]
Hah so I wrote to this guy earlier and told him "Is this for real? You barely said more than 10 words and didn't ask any questions, doesn't look right to me." I just received this response:

it's good to hear back from you. I live in Florida but i am presently in Norway for a project so am sorry i will not be able
to pick the item up or pay you in cash. I want you to know that i am
very interested in buying from you so do remove the advert from
centralist. I will love to pay you via PayPal because they guarantee
safety for the sellers and the buyers, so I'm offering you 300 USD
for the item plus the shipping and handling cost via the UPS Express OR fedex mail overnight to my address in Florida , Let me know what you
think ASAP please. if you don't have paypal all you need to do is this
log in to WWW.PayPal.com and create your account there immediately you are true with that kindly get back to me with your paypal email address for me to made the payment nice doing business with you....... my number is +447024029528

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Hah so I wrote to this guy earlier and told him "Is this for real? You barely said more than 10 words and didn't ask any questions, doesn't look right to me." I just received this response:[/QUOTE]

So so fake, ya there's been a swarm of these bots for a while.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Hah so I wrote to this guy earlier and told him "Is this for real? You barely said more than 10 words and didn't ask any questions, doesn't look right to me." I just received this response:[/QUOTE]

HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH

I got the exact same response when I posted my CDJ 100s on Facebook. :rofl:

Haha, got something similar when trying to sell a car on CL. They were apparently merchant marines who wanted me to ship it for their father, they were paying more than I was asking, yak yak yak. It was so ridiculous that I had to respond. I said I would love to sell it, but would have to clean the car out since brains were splattered on the upholstery, and hopefully I'd be out of jail soon from the accidental shooting. They replied without any concern to this, just pushing for me to ship it immediately.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Haha, got something similar when trying to sell a car on CL. They were apparently merchant marines who wanted me to ship it for their father, they were paying more than I was asking, yak yak yak. It was so ridiculous that I had to respond. I said I would love to sell it, but would have to clean the car out since brains were splattered on the upholstery, and hopefully I'd be out of jail soon from the accidental shooting. They replied without any concern to this, just pushing for me to ship it immediately.[/QUOTE]
That is freakin hilarious!

@Solid-Snake-Eyes, have you tried posting on the RFD trades as well? They're much more active then our Canadian section, and probably less susceptible to bots and such.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']
This one I got from Kijiji 7 minutes after posting my ad, it seems pretty fake but there is no alternate reply-to address: "heyyy when do u wanna meet up i wanna buy it"[/QUOTE]
It turned out this guy was for real. He asked me to lower the price but I said $200 is fair so we'll see what happens. If not, I expect that one guy who was freaking out to come back to town Sunday and buy it for the $200.

So anyone know when the next bonus redemption day at Shoppers Drug Mart would be? I am talking about the day when you get more for the point amount you redeem. I'm thinking of getting Resistance 3 from there but don't need it at the moment (bust with the TRUs $20 Killzone 3). If it is coming soon then I'll wait.
I think there was one in late spring, but I'm not entirely sure of the schedule.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']BestBuy just gave me another $10 Rewardzone for nothing. Now I have $25, what to do with it...[/QUOTE]

You can give it to me. :D

Where do I find Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 for cheap in Canada?

I've never used store pickup at Bestbuy before, can someone confirm for me that I can use my rewardzone certificates when I get there and not be locked into paying with my credit card? Thanks.

bread's done
Back