Capcom announces Dead Rising 2 Case West

So, Capcom made both a Prologue and Epilogue for the game, is charging for them as DLC, and made them system-exclusive?

There's a whole lot of "that's not right" going on here.

I'm fine with that. Since it sounds like DLC that expands the story that possibly wouldn't otherwise fit in the game (as in how the fuck did Frank get from Colorado to Vegas?). Long as it's $5 again...

Kinda feel sorry for PS3 players if this is exclusive.

Sort of hyped but I'm going to need a little more info before I bite. Case Zero was a no brainer in my case because I was sitting on a stack of unused points not entirely set yet on buying DR2 so I used it as a demo. Besides $5 is a lot less than wasting gas and time signing up to some rental dive after release that I'll never step foot into again. This on the other hand is eh... iffy. I mean I love Frank and all but Sal's point is pretty iron clad. If we're talking CZ length without any noteworthy perks or weapons then I'll probably sit this one out in favor of Wiki plot skimming. I'd prefer to get my fix in the original DR or his return as main protagonist in a future release.

Not sure how I feel about this. I mean, it's Frank. Plus I liked Case Zero and thought it was worth $5.

On the other hand, we're being charged for an epilogue, which could mean we don't get "all" of the answers in DR2.

I hate that Capcom said Frank needed a break. No, he needed to not be thrown into so many other games as a character. He needed to be in DR2, even if only as a plot point or story device.

But online co-op with Chuck and Frank? I'm already arguing with a buddy on who gets Frank.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Not sure how I feel about this. I mean, it's Frank. Plus I liked Case Zero and thought it was worth $5.

On the other hand, we're being charged for an epilogue, which could mean we don't get "all" of the answers in DR2.

I hate that Capcom said Frank needed a break. No, he needed to not be thrown into so many other games as a character. He needed to be in DR2, even if only as a plot point or story device.

But online co-op with Chuck and Frank? I'm already arguing with a buddy on who gets Frank.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if any of you cats saw the teaser trailer but this seems about as a part of DR2 as Case Zero was. Looks like Case West takes place away from Vegas and at a secret military/science/corporate facility in the mountains. I'm gonna go ahead and make a few assumptions.

I'm gonna assume that...
- This is well after Vegas since Greene is talking about clearing his name.
- Frank and Greene must meet at the end of Vegas.
- It'll be $5 just like Case Zero. Capcom's team of geniuses can't be that stupid to believe that Case Zero sold so well because of it's gameplay. Clearly the price was the deciding factor for most. I hope that a separate epilogue, which looks like it can be played without DR2, gets the same treatment.

Hoping for the ability to play as Frank West in single player, and not have it be locked into some type of co-op deal.

It would be interesting if you could play as either character, but with story changes depending on who it was. Sort of like Sonic & Knuckles.

[quote name='animalspinners']Hoping for the ability to play as Frank West in single player, and not have it be locked into some type of co-op deal.

It would be interesting if you could play as either character, but with story changes depending on who it was. Sort of like Sonic & Knuckles.[/QUOTE]

A more recent examples is Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light. They changed the cut scenes and puzzles to suit either one or two players. Though you can never play as the Guardian alone.

[quote name='thetoxicone']Does that mean that we will be able to take some erotic zombie photos again?[/QUOTE]

Not sure about erotic photo's, but yes photography will be returning:

Faaaaaantastic! Dead Rising 2: Case West will feature everyone's favorite zombie-bashing photojournalist, practicing his craft by immortalizing the undead in still pictures. Developer Blue Castle Games' president, Rob Barrett, recently told Eurogamer that Frank West's return in the sequel's DLC epilogue would be accompanied by photography gameplay. Of course, West isn't there just to snap photos -- he'll join in the survival adventure co-op style.

Dead Rising 2's $5 prologue Case Zero has been successful for Capcom, selling over half a million downloads in two weeks. The core Dead Rising 2 game shambles to North American retail next week, on September 28th. It'll be interesting to see if the demo-consuming hoard is still ravenous for the full experience.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/22/dead-rising-2-case-west-brings-photography-back/

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I hope CAPCOM doesnt become the next Activision lol[/QUOTE]

aren't they already? didn't they sell like $30 worth of costumes for SSF4?

there is already 4 packs of dlc for DR2 that lets you play with people who bought those 4 packs in co-op

[quote name='chatgirl4']Not sure about erotic photo's, but yes photography will be returning:
[/QUOTE]

bet that's what most players were thinking of when they met the three girls in the bowling alley; Case Zero.

[quote name='chatgirl4']
It'll be interesting to see if the demo-consuming hoard is still ravenous for the full experience.
[/QUOTE]

full experience, yes, valued at $20. ...or with a heavy giftcard promo similar to Halo: Reach.

I certainly hope that if it's twice the price as case 0 that it has twice the content...

Even if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it - I absolutely love DR2.

So yeah, Co-op was broken in DR2 where when the host saved, it would kick the other player. Also, the game would hang whenever you have to choose your storage device. Gonna pass until Capcom fixes their old crap.

[quote name='moojuice']So yeah, Co-op was broken in DR2 where when the host saved, it would kick the other player. Also, the game would hang whenever you have to choose your storage device. Gonna pass until Capcom fixes their old crap.[/QUOTE]
Me and my friend have had none of these problems...

[quote name='bardockkun']Me and my friend have had none of these problems...[/QUOTE]

My friend and I had all of those problems....

One of the worst co op games I ever played because of all the hassle of loading, reloading, getting kicked, saving.

That problem was very well documented and capcom can kiss my ass for making waste my time on it. I actually got a full refund from that game.

queued mine for download. Going to play it when I get home.

It's only been out for a couple hours, and it's got 700 ratings, and an average of 5 stars on the XBL marketplace.

I got Case West. There's a lot of backtracking. It's pretty good, but there's no hiding it's just more Dead Rising. It plays like Overtime from either DR1 or DR2.

[quote name='Soodmeg']My friend and I had all of those problems....

One of the worst co op games I ever played because of all the hassle of loading, reloading, getting kicked, saving.

That problem was very well documented and capcom can kiss my ass for making waste my time on it. I actually got a full refund from that game.[/QUOTE]
That's odd. Don't know how we got lucky then.

Just finished it. It was about as long as Case Zero. It is definitely more Dead Rising...that is about all I can say about it.

I did seem to have more time to just run around and kill zombies, though. And there were a ton of soldiers, which meant a ton of ammo. You could pretty much go through the whole thing without melee weapons, but what fun would that be?

The $10 price tag is disconcerning. Where is this game set? In Vegas or a new area all together?

Is teh camera mechnic done a little better? Is there any reason to play the full DR2 before playings this (bonuses etc.?)

[quote name='GUNNM']Is this game even canon? It starts with Ending A instead of Ending S.[/QUOTE]

I'm not exactly a fan of this either, but I don't think it mattered much.

Ending A and Ending S really aren't that different. If anything, it looked initially like Ending A was still a "bad" ending since Chuck looked to be dead meat. Especially since that elevator was filled with a bunch of Zombies and not just T.K., unlike the new opening for Case West. All ending S does is have TK kidnap Stacey and Katie and then you throw him to his death before escaping with the girls. Essentially the same thing. We still know Phenotrans is behind it, we still have the survivors escaping.

Heck, come to think of it how do they survive the firebombing either way? In both endings, the military was on it's way to raze the city. So either Chuck escapes somehow with Frank and goes off to Phenotrans or he escapes with the girls to.....somewhere. So I guess A works, even if it's crappy that I worked for the "S" ending (since I thought it would be the "true" ending ala DR1).

So I guess this is the new canon events. I only just started it, but I don't like the character model on Frank for some reason. He looks off.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I'm not exactly a fan of this either, but I don't think it mattered much.

Ending A and Ending S really aren't that different. If anything, it looked initially like Ending A was still a "bad" ending since Chuck looked to be dead meat. Especially since that elevator was filled with a bunch of Zombies and not just T.K., unlike the new opening for Case West. All ending S does is have TK kidnap Stacey and Katie and then you throw him to his death before escaping with the girls. Essentially the same thing. We still know Phenotrans is behind it, we still have the survivors escaping.

Heck, come to think of it how do they survive the firebombing either way? In both endings, the military was on it's way to raze the city. So either Chuck escapes somehow with Frank and goes off to Phenotrans or he escapes with the girls to.....somewhere. So I guess A works, even if it's crappy that I worked for the "S" ending (since I thought it would be the "true" ending ala DR1).

So I guess this is the new canon events. I only just started it, but I don't like the character model on Frank for some reason. He looks off.
[/QUOTE]

They did change his face. I like the older one better but this is fine. As long as he has the personality.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']The $10 price tag is disconcerning. Where is this game set? In Vegas or a new area all together?

Is teh camera mechnic done a little better? Is there any reason to play the full DR2 before playings this (bonuses etc.?)[/QUOTE]

It is set in an all new area. It is basically a lab with some loading docks and a few military posts.

The gameplay is exactly the same, including the camera. They added photography, new weapons/combos, a new area, and obviously, the great Frank West as your partner. He cannot die and does a good job of distracting enemies, especially during boss fights.

As for bonuses for playing DR2, I did not see any. I wasn't asked to import a character even though I completed both Case Zero and DR2. I started at level 40 with only a few blocks of health and inventory slots.

The only bonus to playing the previous ones is the story. I suggest that you complete both Dead Rising 1 and 2 to fully understand what is going on, since this game contains characters from both.

800 MS pts is too much as a DLC epilogue. Gonna wait for a sale, hopefully 400 MS pts, similar to Case Zero. Or a longshot at a compilation or gold edition retail disc.

I would say wait for a price drop if you are not a fan of Dead Rising or don't care for the story. They took out some of the combo cards, but I guess that can be expected since Case Zero had the items to make something from Dead Rising 2 and you were not able to make it.

Overall I had fun playing it, but don't think the 800 msp was a good price for this.

bread's done
Back