Capcom licenses Unreal Engine 3

elwood731

CAGiversary!
[quote name='GameSpot']
Capcom licenses Unreal Engine 3
Publisher to use technology behind Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3 in unannounced project.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Feb 27, 2007 10:39 am PT

Add Capcom to the ever-growing list of publishers ponying up to put Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 in upcoming projects. The Japanese publisher today announced that it has licensed the development toolset for an unannounced project being developed in North America.

Last year, EA, THQ, and Sony Online Entertainment all announced licensing agreements to use the engine. Vivendi Games, Microsoft, and Midway had signed on even earlier. Last month, Square Enix joined the flock of publishers striking a deal for Epic Games' technology, and last week, Activision announced that it had licensed Unreal Engine 3 for an unannounced action game.

Unreal Engine 3 is best known for powering Epic Games' Xbox 360 hit Gears of War and its hotly anticipated Unreal Tournament 3, but the tech has been used for smaller scope titles as well. Naked Sky's RoboBlitz for the PC and Xbox Live Arcade was built on the engine. [/quote]

I wonder what for? Lost Planet and Dead Rising already have their own engines, and it would be a little silly to switch for the sequels. Perhaps a new Mega Man? Ahh, I can dream.

[quote name='elwood731']I wonder what for? Lost Planet and Dead Rising already have their own engines, and it would be a little silly to switch for the sequels. Perhaps a new Mega Man? Ahh, I can dream.[/quote]

Megaman FPS? :whistle2:k

[quote name='Sporadic']Sequel to Darkwatch?

:pray:[/quote]

I just picked up Darkwatch yesterday.

Man, Epic must be making craploads of money.

[quote name='ryanbph']does the unreal engine only work for fps, cause didn't square enix license it as well[/quote]

No, a game engine is just a framework to handle rendering art, physics and input. Its just that games with the Unreal engines are typically some form of shooter.

It would be entirely possible to use the Unreal engine in a racing game, but it would need to be heavily tweaked to deal with realistic car physics instead of rag doll human forms.

[quote name='elwood731']I was thinking more Legends style 3rd person action.[/QUOTE]

i've been hoping for a megaman fps for so long. let it be! and we all kno the megaman universe would fit perfectly in the FPS mold.

Epic is making so much money from licensing the Unreal 3 engine they should be able to keep on giving away free bonus content, both for Gears and for Unreal Tournament 3. :D

Now everything uses that engine. I can only imagine who will license it next...

BREAKING NEWS!

Cheapassgamer has licensed the Unreal Engine 3! That's right, now even the forums will run off the UE3 engine. CheapyD will look all shiney and shit! Awesome!

[quote name='whoknows']Great. Soon everything will look like Unreal and Gears of War. /sarcasm[/quote]

Normal mapping is definitely too prodominant in games now.

Theres nothing really normal about it. Since when the hell did brick glisten?

When I had Enchanted arms I started laughing when I noticed everything from rocks to cloth had the wet shiny look of excessive normal mapping. Then I started crying because I realized the graphics were the best part of the game. :cry:

[quote name='valor19']Now everything uses that engine. I can only imagine who will license it next...

BREAKING NEWS!

Cheapassgamer has licensed the Unreal Engine 3! That's right, now even the forums will run off the UE3 engine. CheapyD will look all shiney and shit! Awesome![/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure, keeping with the theme of the site, wouldn't he wait until it's on sale?

bread's done
Back