Captain America: Super Soldier XBox 360 $37.49 at Amazon

[quote name='eastx']It's a shame that the game isn't just unabashedly awesome, but anyone who was already excited for the game and had realistic expectations shouldn't be dissuaded. Despite the big 5.0 and some whining about trashing art pieces (who cares?), it still looks fun and easy to me.[/QUOTE]

This. The Arkham Asylum like combat intrigues me and I can't believe the game is getting bashed for destroying art work. I guess if you are a HARDCORE Cap fan, maybe that's out of character for him. But come on, it's a video game!

i don't really care for reviews much, but the gameplay looks right up my alley...arkham assylum style combat, buch of flippy platforming, and shield throwing...i've spent $40 on worse

ordered it today, going to see if the release date shipping will happen this late into the preorders, amazon says "want it tomorrow? order it now!" so we'll see how that works

This quote from the IGN review in interesting:

"But Captain America is passable, and the combat is surprisingly varied and well executed."

As I understand it, the combat is the vast majority of the game and the platforming no more guided than games like Enslaved or Uncharted.

Also, Wayforward is a great developer. While I expect this game will garner lukewarm reviews, I'm willing to bet it'll be pretty good, especially for those who like brawlers.

I've got credit so I'm in.

I played through about halfway through my review copy last night. It definitely has a charm to it and the combat is decent enough. There's a bit more variety than I was expecting, but I'm at the point where it's starting to drag for me. A 5 is definitely underselling the experience, especially for IGN's 7 (or is it 8 now?) to 10 scoring range.

The platforming stuff is pretty decent, though it's more like an extension of walking than anything else. I've spent more time picking up collectibles than anything else, which has a weird allure for me. I've enjoyed exploring the areas collecting everything in sight.

The graphics are definitely getting a bad shake from IGN too, but they're decent enough. Really, they're just uneven - some parts look great, others terrible. The particle effects in particular look pretty poor, and there's some slowdown when a bunch of guys are on the screen, so that's the worst of it.

Overall, it's just a mindless game. It has a certain charm to it, but there's been nothing special about the experience thus far. IGN is right about one thing - the game is short. Like I said, I'm about halfway and I've probably played for around 3 hours. I believe there are some extra modes outside of the story, plus extra difficulty levels that alter your life bar (no more auto-recharge) and such, but I still need to check back in on that stuff because my memory is a bit fuzzy.

As for the topic at hand, waiting on a price drop wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, especially if you have a backlog.

bread's done
Back