Castlevania and Trauma Center Boxart?

jetsetradio21

CAGiversary!
Seperated at birth?
weird.jpg

I think the Castlevania art alone is strange. I gotta say when I first say the Castlevania boxart about a month ago, I was pretty suprised. It looks nothing like the art for previous titles (which were much more dark/gothic looking).

cv1c.jpg

I miss the old Castlevania art style, the classic one. It made the game seem like you were some brave knight or warrior going into this huge, scary castle to battle demons and Dracula. The new anime style looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, and Soma is 100% metrosexual, or a woman.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']
cv1c.jpg

I miss the old Castlevania art style, the classic one. It made the game seem like you were some brave knight or warrior going into this huge, scary castle to battle demons and Dracula. The new anime style looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, and Soma is 100% metrosexual, or a woman.[/QUOTE]

Word. I loved that box cover...Most of Konami's early NES boxes rocked, I think my fave was Contra. I prefer the gritty painted look over that cartoony stuff any day, and man how do I miss the ol Belmont clan.

Supposedly finishing Dawn of Sorrow gives a really nice surprise which I won't spoil.

Nice eye. I was holding both in my hands yesterday after buying them, and I didn't even notice. Nothing like you're character ensemble arrangement. As far as Castlevania goes, I prefer either the older style mentioned above or Ayami Kojima's art (noticable from SotN and on). I can't stand the GAC that is flooding everything.

[quote name='captaincold']Uh oh, it's published by "Atlus" so i have to go buy it because it's gonna be rare. :)[/QUOTE]

Really. My store got in one copy, which I promply purchased along with Castlevania. Haven't seen it anywhere else yet. A shame, really. Quite fun.

[quote name='captaincold']Uh oh, it's published by "Atlus" so i have to go buy it because it's gonna be rare. :)[/QUOTE]

I think you mean gonna be rare and good! :D

I might get it and I don't even have a DS.

There was a lot of anger over how Iga (director/producer/some sort of bigwig for the Castlevania series) talked endlessly about how the PS2 incarnations are more important to him than the DS versions, hence why the switch in art style. Apparently he felt that Ayami had to focus on those, and that dividing her attention would utterly destroy the pantheon that is a third dimension Castlevania (....right....). He also spoke at length about how the anime style "should draw in more kids" and that is how he felt it would work best on the DS.

Nevermind that there's blood spurts, some heinous enemies, and suggestive artwork (given some of the female enemies), and the overall feeling that Castlevania embodies a deeply Gothic theme that all gamers resonate to and have since their inception in the 1980s.

Iga, of course, really only came onto the scene with C:SOTN, and despite that it is a masterpiece of gaming, he's pretty overrated, and has been making some questionable decisions with the license. The switch from the Gothic/Victorian style for the DS game is a travesty in my opinion, as I think it was not warranted and that another design crew could have easily come in and replicated something similar to Ayami's work, rather than the bastard abortion we have now.

But I'll still buy it. Meh.

As for the old box art, yea, those were great. I like the gritty, somewhat Renaissance inspired artwork. I also like the story of Nintendo Power putting Simon Belmont holding Dracula's head on their cover, driving people to angrily write in about their kids having nightmares. Classic.

On to the box arts....

1) That particular stance is used over and over in anime, just like how all sorts of things are copied endlessly in anime.

2) There is a discussion at PGC.com right now about how there seems to be a subliminal message to the DS boxart. You'll notice a lot, a lot, employ the use of characters with their hand stretched out, usually in a fore-shortened sense, as if they are trying to touch the player. Pretty interesting. Trauma Center, Castlevania, Trace Memory, Phoenix Wright, ...even to an extent things like Yu-Gi-Oh and Frogger. I bet someone at Nintendo is telling people to think about cover art with an emphasis on hands/touching/etc.

[quote name='onetrackmind']hey jetsetradio21 can you possibly scan the castlevania box art for me?[/QUOTE]

The soonest I could possibly get a scan is next Tuesday

edit: used the girlfriend's id by accident #-o

[quote name='Strell']Iga, of course, really only came onto the scene with C:SOTN, and despite that it is a masterpiece of gaming, he's pretty overrated, and has been making some questionable decisions with the license. The switch from the Gothic/Victorian style for the DS game is a travesty in my opinion, as I think it was not warranted and that another design crew could have easily come in and replicated something similar to Ayami's work, rather than the bastard abortion we have now.[/QUOTE]

I love you. Reading that made me eternally happy knowing someone else want's to at least partially run a knife through Iga for the above mentioned. Even that other Dawn/Aria wallpaper floating around would have made better art, even if it was reminiscient of Zelda: Twilight's technique.

At least I have my pretty C:CoD tshirt to look at.

Oh, speaking of Ayami's art being MIA, have you seen the magazine ads for Curse of Darkness? If she was going to be overworked by working on two sets of conceptual art, why on earth is her so-called "focus" missing from the ads of all things?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it was actually triplets, not twins:

180068b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Actually, Strell did a few posts up, which was a very nice post by the way.

[quote name='Strell']
2) There is a discussion at PGC.com right now about how there seems to be a subliminal message to the DS boxart. You'll notice a lot, a lot, employ the use of characters with their hand stretched out, usually in a fore-shortened sense, as if they are trying to touch the player. Pretty interesting. Trauma Center, Castlevania, Trace Memory, Phoenix Wright, ...even to an extent things like Yu-Gi-Oh and Frogger. I bet someone at Nintendo is telling people to think about cover art with an emphasis on hands/touching/etc.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That actually makes a lot of sense.

bread's done
Back