Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Releasing late October, Price $29.99

Awesome. I just beat Harmony of Dissonance last week and went back to beat Dracula in Circle of the Moon. Looking forward to having another Castlevania to play :)

Couple things to mention:

Screenshots of this were leaked a few months ago. Someone made note that if you looked at the title screen shown, there was an option that clearly said "Wii" on it. This opens the door to a possible Wii/DS connectivity, which may or may not interest people.

There's supposed to be an embargo on Konami information until tomorrow supposedly, which means more information about this game should be released then. This might also lead to the revealing of the possible console projects that are purported to be in development, which so far is thought to be a 2D Wii game and a 3D 360/PS3 title.

I guess we'll know soon.

A Castlevania game is always going to be on my radar, but at the same time Castlevania games tend to burn me out on playing Castlevania games. After playing Portrait of Ruin to the not-really-the-ending-ending, I was done with it, and all Castlevania, for months. I just picked up a used copy of Dawn of Sorrow, so I guess I won't be getting the new one anywhere near launch.

[quote name='Strell']There's supposed to be an embargo on Konami information until tomorrow supposedly, which means more information about this game should be released then. This might also lead to the revealing of the possible console projects that are purported to be in development, which so far is thought to be a 2D Wii game and a 3D 360/PS3 title.

I guess we'll know soon.[/quote]

Yeah, EGM has the console versions mentioned in their rumours section for June (I think it was june). A 2D console Castlevania is like the best news ever, and I really hope it's true.

I played through both of the DS Castlevania again this month. I can't wait for a new one, and I hope the rumors about a 2D Wii game are true.

The game sounds great. I enjoyed spending time outside of the castle in the last Castlevania, and I'm glad they'll be having even more levels outside the castle in this one, while still retaining the Metroidvania gameplay.

I was really hoping the Wii game would be announced today, hopefully we'll find out more at E3.

pic too big! click the button!!

bg_img.jpg

[quote name='Kaijufan']The game sounds great. I enjoyed spending time outside of the castle in the last Castlevania, and I'm glad they'll be having even more levels outside the castle in this one, while still retaining the Metroidvania gameplay.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That and the two character system went a long way towards making Portrait of Ruin feel less stale than recent Metroidvania games.

Having the portraits lead to more varied envirionments was nice, rather than just going through variants of the same types of castle areas we've been playing through forever in the series.

[quote name='JEKKI']pic too big! click the button!!

bg_img.jpg
[/quote]

That pic is awesome!!! Just wish I didn't have to stretch it to use as my background.

Actually, all I had to do was add some black to the bottom and it works fine, so thanks much!

Got it to work really well as a PSP wallpaper too! ^_^

I sort of don't get the appeal presently. I bought Portrait of Ruin after reading some recommendations, but really, there wasn't much new there. It was really short (I ended up with I think 995% completion or something with 13 hours played), didn't bother reading walkthroughs. I see there was a hard mode replay, and boss rushes were a joke. Not to say it was bad per se, just not worth the praise.

Unless I am missing something, I can't help but see these games as if you've played Symphony of the Night, you basically played the best version of the series and the games in its direct type (2d side scroller rpg thing that is) haven't really done anything worthwhile to break the mold.

I want to be excited, I loved SOTN and POR was passable, I'm just not expecting anything new here.

Edit: Ok I just read the IGN article, at least it sounds like they are trying something new.

I've never really been into cstlevania, but everyone raved about POR, so i goozexed it and loved it. This should be good too. If it has just a few elements of that game, i will be happy.

Oh fuck yeah new Castlevania game. This will be one of my fuck reviews I am getting this day one type of game because I loved dawn of sorrow and still need to finish POR but will before this comes out, but loved that too.

Now that I think of Castlevania, my one friend has my Dawn of Sorrow and we are on summer break, :bomb:.

Trailer looks really good, actually.

I'm kind of with Nakilos on PoR - it seemed the most empty of all the sequels beyond SOTN. The great thing about Symphony was that the castle seemed well put together - it wasn't just a long series of empty hallways with fairly nice graphics. Most rooms were crawling with enemies, many of which were entirely unique from each other (i.e., I'm not just saying every room was flying Medusa Heads). The library had Wizard of Oz inspired enemies, the rooftop had the giant flying skull, the catacombs had withered torch bearers and slimes.

That's what I think made SOTN so great - it felt like the castle had real effort put into designing it. It felt kind of real. I still think the confession booth room is artistically creepy, with eerie ambient music and a really interesting set of potential ghost appearances. That's what made the game so memorable - you'd be running down one hall and you could see beholders staring at you in the background. You could sit down in chairs as if Alucard was saying "Yeah bitch, this crib is mine, ya hrrrd?" As small and simple as these things all seem, they all add up to a greater atmosphere of the game, and are things I always look for whenever I'm trying to really enjoy something.

PoR, on the other hand (and to an extent, the ones before it) just felt so empty. You'd run around, dispatch some easy skeletons, and then move onto a portrait. The portraits ended up being pretty poor - almost nothing more than simple square shaped maps with a boss. Hell, the final four were almost just palette switches. It was disappointing because there was so much more that could have been done.

I suggested at the time that I'd really like to see a SOTN meets Castlevania 2 game, where you could walk around to different towns and unlock things to do based on what you'd done. Perhaps we'll see something like that here. I just keep thinking about all these things that could be done - for example, maybe Dracula's minions are going to attack one particular town, so you have to defend it, and get certain rewards based on how well you do that? I'm probably thinking way too ahead here.

Already I see better graphics and special effects from the trailer, and the attacks seem pretty varied even with the little shown. There's potential for some good struggle against other orders. Music seems pretty good too.

And once again - no more anime bullshit. Thank god.

Can't wait/Day 1/pants are tight/etc.

[quote name='Strell']Trailer looks really good, actually.

I'm kind of with Nakilos on PoR - it seemed the most empty of all the sequels beyond SOTN. The great thing about Symphony was that the castle seemed well put together - it wasn't just a long series of empty hallways with fairly nice graphics. Most rooms were crawling with enemies, many of which were entirely unique from each other (i.e., I'm not just saying every room was flying Medusa Heads). The library had Wizard of Oz inspired enemies, the rooftop had the giant flying skull, the catacombs had withered torch bearers and slimes.

That's what I think made SOTN so great - it felt like the castle had real effort put into designing it. It felt kind of real. I still think the confession booth room is artistically creepy, with eerie ambient music and a really interesting set of potential ghost appearances. That's what made the game so memorable - you'd be running down one hall and you could see beholders staring at you in the background. You could sit down in chairs as if Alucard was saying "Yeah bitch, this crib is mine, ya hrrrd?" As small and simple as these things all seem, they all add up to a greater atmosphere of the game, and are things I always look for whenever I'm trying to really enjoy something.

PoR, on the other hand (and to an extent, the ones before it) just felt so empty. You'd run around, dispatch some easy skeletons, and then move onto a portrait. The portraits ended up being pretty poor - almost nothing more than simple square shaped maps with a boss. Hell, the final four were almost just palette switches. It was disappointing because there was so much more that could have been done.

I suggested at the time that I'd really like to see a SOTN meets Castlevania 2 game, where you could walk around to different towns and unlock things to do based on what you'd done. Perhaps we'll see something like that here. I just keep thinking about all these things that could be done - for example, maybe Dracula's minions are going to attack one particular town, so you have to defend it, and get certain rewards based on how well you do that? I'm probably thinking way too ahead here.

Already I see better graphics and special effects from the trailer, and the attacks seem pretty varied even with the little shown. There's potential for some good struggle against other orders. Music seems pretty good too.

And once again - no more anime bullshit. Thank god.

Can't wait/Day 1/pants are tight/etc.[/QUOTE]

well put

My hype train is really rolling for this one. The character animations reminded me a lot of SOTN animations. Definitely not as stiff looking as some of the recent releases.

?? Strell - it looks to me like the graphics are very similar to PoR. And the scene where she's fighting The Creature looks just like Aria of Sorrow. But I'm ready for another Castlevania anyway, so I am also looking forward to this one.

[quote name='Backlash']?? Strell - it looks to me like the graphics are very similar to PoR. And the scene where she's fighting The Creature looks just like Aria of Sorrow. But I'm ready for another Castlevania anyway, so I am also looking forward to this one.[/QUOTE]

Oh sure they are similar, and we all know Castlevania is going to recycle sprites as if it were helping the environment. I just meant there's some good effects going on with some of the spells/weapons being shown - this one looks like it was being built up for the DS a little more than PoR. I don't remember how long PoR came out after ...erm, the DS one before it (Dawn of Sorrow? Can't keep track of all these subtitles), but it seemed really quick - just a bit rushed.

I'm thinking 2 years since PoR might make this one a better title overall.

Looks like more of the same (not necessarily complaining), but I skipped out on the last Castlevania so I'll probably pick this one up.

The first DS Castlevania is why I bought a DS. 2D Castlevania is a system seller for me. And yeah it's 'more of the same', but I don't think the fans would want it any other way. Day one for me.

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the trailer. Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite Castlevania ever and I even liked Portrait of Ruin quite a bit (even if the second half wasn't as good), but something about this one just looks kind of generic. It took me awhile to put my finger on it, but I don't think there were any 3D elements in it (unlike the most recent DS Castlevanias), which isn't bad per se, but it all around just looked a bit like a GBA game. Even the environments looked less detailed than what we've seen before. I mean DoS had the creepy Big-like piano on the ground and the nursery section was really creative and creepy and I liked PoR's nightmare circus theme areas, but everything in this just looked like more of what we saw in GBA era Castlevania. I'm sure it'll still be really fun and I'll likely buy it day one, but visually it didn't wow me like the last couple series incarnations.

Looks good, it will be a day one purchase for me. Castlevania Circle of the moon was the reason I bought a GBA, just like Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow was the reason I bought a DS. Although I have enjoyed the DS games so far, I was not a big fan of the anime-art style, and I still think that the GBA games (especially circle of the Moon) are superior. I do like the way this one looks so far and it seems pretty cool to have a female in the role of the main character (granted PoR had Charlotte). Something about the Castlevania games just work for me, I loved all three of the GBA games, the two Ds ones, and of course the one that started it all Symphony of the Night. The music, art style, bosses etc. in these games puts Castlevania among my favorite series along with Zelda, Mario and Metal Gear Solid.

[quote name='Y2J850']Looks good, it will be a day one purchase for me. Castlevania Circle of the moon was the reason I bought a GBA, just like Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow was the reason I bought a DS. Although I have enjoyed the DS games so far, I was not a big fan of the anime-art style, and I still think that the GBA games (especially circle of the Moon) are superior. I do like the way this one looks so far and it seems pretty cool to have a female in the role of the main character (granted PoR had Charlotte). Something about the Castlevania games just work for me, I loved all three of the GBA games, the two Ds ones, and of course the one that started it all Symphony of the Night. The music, art style, bosses etc. in these games puts Castlevania among my favorite series along with Zelda, Mario and Metal Gear Solid.[/quote]

I'm glad that someone else feels me on Circle of the Moon's atmosphere. I'm sure Strell would agree there as well. Anime =/= Gothic, ever. As soon as saturday morning anime turns gothic it looks wussy. If it starts off gothic and then gets anime inspired, that's another thing. EX. Vampire Hunter D or Devil May Cry the series. They look gothic first and anime second.

Circle of the Moon to me has the most gothic look out of all the Casltevania games. The place looks huge and dreadful. Everything about that game was just dark and foreboding. Remember the Goat Head boss? Or the twin zombie dragons? Let's not forget the long drop down the shaft at the beginning. Or the hall with the tall armors in the background being lit by candles. The game may have been too dark for the first GBA but once we got lights, it was clear to me then which GBAvania was the best. From that point forward the series got a little happy. Still fun n' all but not scary. Order looks scarier than the previous DS efforts and the most interesting gameplay wise since you are solely dependent on your magic. Hell the Giant Crab boss even looks great.

So I'm really siked for this one.

Oh and to the dude that was complaing about the lack of 3D. REWATCH THE DAMN TRAILER. There's a whole stage with a fucking ship in the background rocking on 3D waves that are crashing against the shoreline.

[quote name='FurryCurry']

Oh and to the dude that was complaing about the lack of 3D. REWATCH THE DAMN TRAILER. There's a whole stage with a fucking ship in the background rocking on 3D waves that are crashing against the shoreline. [/QUOTE]

It wasn't the lack of 3D per se, but the art style in general looked rather generic compared to previous installments. While the last couple Castlevania games had rubbish anime-esque character design, the actual in-game graphics have been suitably gothy. Dawn of Sorrow has especially grotesque bosses and Portrat of Ruin was a bit hit and miss, but at its' best it was really downright creepy. I agree completely with you about Circle of the Moon. That game had a really oppresive atmosphere. This looks a bit more like Harmony of Dissonance where it's colorful, but all a bit flat looking. I did like the bit with the enemy shadows reflecting off the walls. I would have liked to see more along those lines. Maybe in the next trailer perhaps.

While I'm beyond glad they god rid of that anime shit style, I'm also saddened they didn't go back to the previous artist (the one who did SotN, all the GBA games, etc.). Oh well, the new artist looks pretty cool.

The gameplay looks great as do the graphics. Very fluid and smooth.

[quote name='StinkyCheese']never played a castlevania. Should I start with this one?[/quote]See if you can get ahold of Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow to get a feel for the Metroidvania style. Skip PoR, ignore most of the nostalgic fondness around for SotN and then make a judgment on getting this one.

It is a deal, most top level DS games are $34.99/$39.99.

There are tons of threads such as "SNK games $14.99 at Amazon" Which is the standard price for that game, but obviously cheaper than a normal game. Thus they're deals.

To not be a hypocrite go complain in this thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191814

Standard Rock Band/Guitar Hero prices.

If not, stop thread crapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but unless they're giving a preorder bonus or something most castlevania ds games could be had for 50% off the original MSRP after 15 months or so.

[quote name='oni-link']yeah, but unless they're giving a preorder bonus or something most castlevania ds games could be had for 50% off the original MSRP after 15 months or so.[/quote]

What in the heck does 15 months after the release date have to do with anything? Geez. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I'll preorder it most likely. Don't think we'll ever good anything as good as Nocturne in the Moonlight again, but hell these GBA/DS ones are fun. Especially the ones with a Soul Collection system.

And sounds like we'll get to LEAVE the Castle in this one. Been a good thing since Castlevania II.

bread's done
Back