Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Releasing late October, Price $29.99

[quote name='xycury']GS has the CD but I heard it was just 6 tracks right?

and Amazon is a code for their own mp3s I believe... but i haven't got an email yet, and it doesn't ship till the 23rd.

I'll be miffed if I miss out on any pre-orders.. Amazon should send a notification email saying you definately will, since it's an update to your order that will ship with it, but you didn't initiate it, they did.

ugh.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the page for OoE, it says that you'll receive a code. For online orders, it even says your code will be emailed to you..?

Tehehe Rockville actually had it. Got game and CD, though manager had to cut open two boxes to find it (lol). Sealed too, which is a surprise for DS games from GS.

[quote name='eau']http://cgi.ebay.com/Castlevania-Ord...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's a real CD :whee:[/QUOTE]aha, it appears that the CD has a total running time of 14:10. So it's nice for a free bonus, no doubt, but at least those of us who didn't do the GS pre-order won't have to feel like we missed out on too much!

Lament Of Innocence had a very weird deal... some retailer started throwing in a really good sampler CD after the game had already been out for a while (like, after the price had already dropped). I have no idea why that happened, but you can bet that my need for that game suddenly became urgent.

Just picked up my copy at GameStop, and they *did* have the soundtrack CDs after all! Apparently they arrived shortly after I called this morning.

All the review comments about dififculty have me a bit worried as I'm a pussy and hate hard games. I got through Circle of the Moon but I don't know if I'd have the patience for it today. The later 2 GBA games and the DS games difficulty was fine.

Oh well, I don't have time for it now so I'll just ask for it for my birthday or x-mas and if I don't dig it I can throw it on Goozex.

I'm stuck at college with only my DS and one game for it (although one of the best out there, Castlevania: Dos). I've been itching to play a newer game lately so I'm thinking I might walk over to GS and see if they have this. Has anyone picked it up and played it yet? I need reliable impressions, none of that GameFAQs nonsense.

i got mine at GS. BB and target didnt have it.

The game can be a little difficult, but its not impossible, plus all else fails Level Grind!

Glyphs seem to add the "stamina" element to weapons use. I mean you start with a puny little sword - and alternating X/Y you could empty the stamina bar quickly (but so far it hasn't come to that). The hilarious thing is that the "mana bar" is not really mana - I would consider mana the "heart counter".

The heart counter is NOT replenished at save points anymore.

No I mean collecting hearts replenished the mana bar in DoS/PoR, but a save point did this even quicker. The mana bar isn't quite the same in OoE (since special abilities run off hearts and NOT the mana bar).

its amazing how they can keep these games so interesting over the years. ive played every one on the ds now and theyre all easy to get hooked on especially when it comes to collecting things.

I'll be picking up this game tomorrow. I can't wait.

I have been playing SotN on XBLA to get ready. I had hoped to finish it before OoE, but I haven't quite finished it yet.

The game is definitely harder, not even just the bosses, but in general. That's good though. Honestly it is refreshing to have some challenge... the others were just getting way too easy.

I also find it is a lot easier to appreciate bosses when you actually have to figure out a way or a pattern to beat them.

Got my preorder yesterday at Gamestop, with the bonus CD (yes it is an actual CD).

Of course, when my wife went to pick it up, they said that it doesn't ship until Wednesday. She told them that we knew it came out Tuesday (yesterday) and that Gamestop had actually called our phone to tell us it was in. So they finally find it in a box in the back.

Then, my wife asks for the preorder bonus. Blank stares from the employees. They finally find it in some sort of "promotion drawer" or something and tell her that it's first come, first served so she's lucky she got the last one. So I got mine, but who knows if other preorders got screwed out of their CD at this Gamestop? Ugh.

(Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet as I was busy last night, but I'm looking forward to it tonight. I've been listening to the bonus CD plus Minibosses Castlevania covers in my car in the meantime :) ).

[quote name='Backlash']Got my preorder yesterday at Gamestop, with the bonus CD (yes it is an actual CD).

Of course, when my wife went to pick it up, they said that it doesn't ship until Wednesday. She told them that we knew it came out Tuesday (yesterday) and that Gamestop had actually called our phone to tell us it was in. So they finally find it in a box in the back.

Then, my wife asks for the preorder bonus. Blank stares from the employees. They finally find it in some sort of "promotion drawer" or something and tell her that it's first come, first served so she's lucky she got the last one. So I got mine, but who knows if other preorders got screwed out of their CD at this Gamestop? Ugh.

(Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet as I was busy last night, but I'm looking forward to it tonight. I've been listening to the bonus CD plus Minibosses Castlevania covers in my car in the meantime :) ).[/quote]

Man I need to get married and get myself a personal videogame picker upper. :p

I still see Soundtrack/CD offer on Ebgames & Gamestop. Anyone have an idea if I'll get a CD if I order now? haha Also Amazon still hasn't received their shipment yet. Anyone have any guesses whether they're shipping CD or no? Amazon is $2 off too right now.

I just picked up a copy today at EB and the wrapping looks different than most of the DS games that I've bought recently. It looks like it was shrink-wrapped. I'll be pissed if EB sold me a used copy of a game that just came out today. Was Konami just being cheap with their wrapping or did EB screw me over?

[quote name='darthjones']I just picked up a copy today at EB and the wrapping looks different than most of the DS games that I've bought recently. It looks like it was shrink-wrapped. I'll be pissed if EB sold me a used copy of a game that just came out today. Was Konami just being cheap with their wrapping or did EB screw me over?[/QUOTE]

a lot games are like this.

Got to play about 15 mins of it today and i'm liking it a lot more than Portrait of Ruin
the whole glyph system is going to make the game a little harder(consuming MP thing)

so far this seems like a castlevania worth finishing the game

I'm about 3 hours in and loving it so far. I'm not sure if it's better than Dawn of Sorrow (probably not), but it's still amazing. I was one of the few who really liked Portrait of Ruin. The level design was dissapointing in the second half, but I thought it had probably the best combat the series has ever had with the 2 person system. Ecclesia seems to be a good mix of the two.

I know I'm not very far, but I'm surprised how many people say this game is that hard. The crab boss killed me a few times, but so far the regular enemies hardly do any damage to me. It's nothing like CotM where even early enemies will knock off close to a quarter of your health. I'm sure it will get harder though, but I was expecting it to kick my ass from the get go.

The only thing I'm not sure I like about the combat is that to swap gear you need to hold A and use the shoulder buttons. It's cool that you can have 3 equipment setups at once, but I'd prefer if you just had 2, so you'd only have to tap A to switch between them ala Dawn of Sorrow. I'm never a fan of games where you need to do weapon switching in real-time though.

I do like the new level strutcure though. It's broken up to dots on a map ala Super Mario World, but it still plays like "Metroidvania" as you'll sometimes find places you can't access yet and have to come back later with more powers. It's still pretty much a proper Metroidvania, only the map basically serves as extra warp points to take you all over the game quicker.

[quote name='darthjones']I just picked up a copy today at EB and the wrapping looks different than most of the DS games that I've bought recently. It looks like it was shrink-wrapped. I'll be pissed if EB sold me a used copy of a game that just came out today. Was Konami just being cheap with their wrapping or did EB screw me over?[/quote]Theres a good chance one of their employees played it, then resealed it. Same thing happened with my PoR copy.

[quote name='darthjones']I just picked up a copy today at EB and the wrapping looks different than most of the DS games that I've bought recently. It looks like it was shrink-wrapped. I'll be pissed if EB sold me a used copy of a game that just came out today. Was Konami just being cheap with their wrapping or did EB screw me over?[/quote]

Alot of Konami games come with that shitty shrinkwrap that makes them look resealed.

I have 3 or 4 Konami games still sealed that have that heatgun reseal look.

I picked this game yesterday from GS and got my CD with the pre-order I put in last week, so I'm pretty happy I went with GS instead of Amazon, despite the $2 difference.

I've only played a little bit (just past the first boss), but this is definitely more challenging than DoS or PoR, but not nearly as tough as some of the challenges in Contra 4, which is the only boss pattern/level memorization I went through recently on the DS. I was able to clear the first boss on the third try without taking any damage and got the
Arthro Medal
for the effort.

I'm looking forward to putting more time into this soon, but FF Tactics A2 still has majority of occupied time in the cartridge slot on my DS.

Picked this up today. Dood gave me a soundtrack even though I didn't preorder, though the sleeve is a little messed up.

I don't think Shanoa is animated all that well for her basic movements - she seems a littly clunky and ill-porportioned compared to previous characters. No big deal.

I really dig the combo system. I don't know if it alters later on, but the idea that you can combo is really interested. I'd love to see it be used in combination with a system that builds up a meter over time, and then allows a super attack or something. Basically to encourage more tenacious gameplay and so on.

Beat the first boss without getting hit on my second attempt.

Graphics seems excellent - nice to see some new monsters animated fairly well (ghosts, witches so far).

Dialogue is cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

[quote name='Strell']Picked this up today. Dood gave me a soundtrack even though I didn't preorder, though the sleeve is a little messed up.

I don't think Shanoa is animated all that well for her basic movements - she seems a littly clunky and ill-porportioned compared to previous characters. No big deal.

I really dig the combo system. I don't know if it alters later on, but the idea that you can combo is really interested. I'd love to see it be used in combination with a system that builds up a meter over time, and then allows a super attack or something. Basically to encourage more tenacious gameplay and so on.

Beat the first boss without getting hit on my second attempt.

Graphics seems excellent - nice to see some new monsters animated fairly well (ghosts, witches so far).

Dialogue is cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.[/quote]

And....Cue StinkyCheese!...nm

You're lucky Strell, i went to GS while they were still opeining the boxes so i didnt get a free bonus with my nonpreorder.

BTW the gylph system is so awesome. I stole a glyph from a bad guy as he was trying to use the move on me. Sooo sweet.

The voice acting is so bad that I wonder if it's intentional. I mean SotN was known for its awful voice-acting, so this wouldn't be too much of a stretch. It does make me laugh though. Especially the dudes you rescue back at the village.

I will be picking this up from GS today, but likely won't get a chance to play it until next month. :(

No time during my lunches at work and when I get a few hours at home, its all going to the consoles.

I am really excited to hear that the difficulty is a bit higher than some of the previous efforts and that the game flows pretty well overall. I have enjoyed every CV game though, so I don't doubt I would have found things to enjoy even if the reception had been lukewarm.

[quote name='Strell']Beat the first boss without getting hit on my second attempt.[/quote]

I like how I noticed the magnetic circles AFTER I beat the boss (with no health remaining). Good one Mav, real good.

Man, this game is really tough. The other ones uses that same engine are too easy. You actually have to learn how to avoid boss attacks or otherwise your toast. Enemies in this game are equally as dangerous as the bosses. They deal quite a bit of damage. Overall, it's not too hard that you break you system, you just need some practice memorizing patterns. And to top of the hard difficulty, they add hard mode (when beat the game) for those who want a real challenge.

[quote name='fatbeer']Man, this game is really tough. The other ones uses that same engine are too easy. You actually have to learn how to avoid boss attacks or otherwise your toast. Enemies in this game are equally as dangerous as the bosses. They deal quite a bit of damage. Overall, it's not too hard that you break you system, you just need some practice memorizing patterns. And to top of the hard difficulty, they add hard mode (when beat the game) for those who want a real challenge.[/QUOTE]

I like it. Games have gotten too easy. Memorizing boss patterns makes you feel like you've accomplished something instead of just breezing through it. Same goes for the rest of the game. Its not as hard as Gameinformer made it seem (8 bit and 16 bit days- hard core man!) but it still is nice to have a bit more challenge.

Oy all these posts about difficulty are giving me second thoughts. I hate memorizing patterns and I don't play games to get a sense of accomplishment, I play them to veg out and relax for the most part.

I also worry about the fetch quest shit, and lack of hints on where to go, that was mentioned in the 1up review.

Oh well, it'll be a b-day gift so if I don't like it it's basically just free Goozex points. :D

Is there anyway to break the hold of those monsters that hang on to you for about 20 seconds or do you just have to hang there and take damage?

[quote name='Kaijufan']Is there anyway to break the hold of those monsters that hang on to you for about 20 seconds or do you just have to hang there and take damage?[/quote]
i just button mash

I preordered this, then decided "screw waiting", so I downloaded the ROM and played that while waiting for Amazon to ship it. Just going to keep the game sealed and play the rom instead - another sealed game for my collection, woo (this is the reason I have any sealed games at all, honestly).

This game is freaking hard. I must be doing something wrong, because almost every boss kills me in 4-5 hits. I chose to play it primarily magic oriented though, so it's possible that that completely gimps my defense...I'm at Dracula's castle (oh no, spoilers, Dracula's in a Castlevania game), and let me say, magic tickets are your friend.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Oy all these posts about difficulty are giving me second thoughts. I hate memorizing patterns and I don't play games to get a sense of accomplishment, I play them to veg out and relax for the most part.

I also worry about the fetch quest shit, and lack of hints on where to go, that was mentioned in the 1up review.

Oh well, it'll be a b-day gift so if I don't like it it's basically just free Goozex points. :D[/quote]

if you like castlevannia games get it to me its so far the best one in the series for the ds. i thought the glyph system was a bit cheese at first but you can do alo of cool things if you mix and match. it is hard though meaning enemies can take a bit to kill and sometimes you will find yourself just powering through to make it somewhere but the game is damn fun. go into it expecting to die alot. die alot and save often.

How is the map system (The World Map) in this game. Almost done with POR and if the map system is way better than the POR system, I will be picking this up soon. I didn't like the separate maps in POR because I thought there was too many of them and they were a bit bland. Is it any better here?

Dmaul shouldn't get it.

He'll whine about how difficult it is, and then turn it into an argument about how the DS is dead because it has no games that appeal to him. Then he'll say he's going to sell his DS because it gets little to no play from him and has no games coming out in the future.

And then in a few months he'll show back up in the DS forum saying the same complaints, but in a thread about a game he's kind of interested in. But not too interested in - he'll remark about how it's a niche title and no one actually likes it, they just pretend to like it because it's on a Nintendo system that is already - again - dead and dying and should have been DOA.

So don't get it. You won't like it because it doesn't hold your hand the way all the big games you swear to like actually do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm addicted to this game...it's the only game that's made me stop playing FFTA2.

This game is definitely the most difficult Castlevania in recent memory, but not cheap nor unfair. So far, I'm 5/5 on boss medals and intend to get the rest of them. I highly recommend this game for Metroidvania fans and so far, I like it better than both PoR and DoS.

Eat a dick Strell.

I'll try it and if it's not my bag it goes on Goozex. My DS will never get sold as it will always have a place for stuff like Puzzle Quest, Picross etc. Releases have been slow lately in terms of stuff I like, but there's plenty of infinitely replayable games that keep it around.

The difficulty worries me, but I've loved the Metroidvanias so I'll give it a shot. If I can't get into it, it goes on Goozex and I'll get essentially free points since it was a gift anyway.

game will be too hard for 90% of the people,meaning few will buy meaning a very quick price drop.

I was hoping to rent it off blockbuster BUT the workers said the game was too hard for most people and it would not rent that well

so i

Got it off gamefly and it is harder then the other ones. i hate how those things pick u up and just suck your health.

dont know if i will be keeping it or sending it back to gamefly tomorrow and hope to pick up

neverland card battles or ninjatown

Do the boss medals do anything, or is it just something to collect for bragging rights? Is it worth fighting a boss again if you win just to try to take no damage?

bread's done
Back