Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Releasing late October, Price $29.99

Just beat Albus mode on Level 76. I freakin' smoked Dracula. I always enjoy these DS Castlevania games but this is my favorite handheld Castlevania yet. I'm very happy they went back to the old art style instead of the anime look.

[quote name='Rodimus']this is my favorite handheld Castlevania yet[/quote]

Bold statement when Symphony of the Night is on PSP

I just finished Normal mode with Shanoa last week, getting 100% of all the items (including all the boss medals and boss rush rewards) & getting through all the bonus dungeon/stages, but I did miss
Albus' glyph during that fight
. I just started that New Game+ Hard Mode Lvl. 1 mode with Shanoa but I'll take my time with that, as I'm trying to finish FFTA2 and Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ first. With the bonus hard modes and the other bonus/replay mode, there's a lot of replay for me in this game.

Got this for my B-day last week and finally fired it up. Just played through the first boss. I'm liking it a lot so far.

Going to play a bit more now, since my roommate has a friend over watching some TV so I can't fire up Gears 2 yet. Will definitely play this a good bit next week when at my family's house for the week for Thanksgiving.

Man the crab boss is annoying as balls. I doubt I'll finish this, not just the tough bosses either. Just struggling to get into it, having been pretty burned out on the Metroidvanias.

Oh well, like I said it was a gift so basically free Goozex points!

I want this game for Christmas, but I've been to 2 Walmarts and neither had them (my options are limited here)
There wasn't even a place for it in the glass case!
WTF?

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I want this game for Christmas, but I've been to 2 Walmarts and neither had them (my options are limited here)
WTF?[/QUOTE]

Amazon is your friend in this case.

[quote name='Strell']Aaaaaaand we're halfway there.[/QUOTE]

And again, eat a dick Strell.

It's not halfway to anything. I've got nothing against the DS, and this game has nothing to do with my opinion of the machine. I didn't expect I'd like it, but like I said if not it goes to Goozex and is no loss to me since it was a gift. I got to try the game for no cost and get free Goozex points since I didn't like it. It's a win win.

I don't see why you have to be such a dick to people who don't like the games (or consoles) you do. Play what you like, have fun with it and otherwise keep your retarded fanboy mouth shut.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I want this game for Christmas, but I've been to 2 Walmarts and neither had them (my options are limited here)
WTF?[/quote]

It's available at many online stores if you're willing to wait a few days...

Eh, I'm not liking this game so far. It seems like they wanted to try combining the old, challenging, linear Castlevania's with the newish metroidvania style. I'm not sold on the mash-up.

I absolutely loved Portrait of Ruin (even got 100% in all modes), but the mini dungeons of that game have been reduced even further to micro dungeons in this one. The difficulty is high but not necessarily unfair. Certain dungeons require you to pratically crawl thru them for fear of losing a quarter of your life to a common enemy type. I'm also surprised they thought an entire town composed of fetch quests was a good idea.

I would have preferred they kept the depth of Dawn of Sorrow with the soul system or Portrait of Ruin with the spells/subs system over this more simplified action version. Still, I can't fault them for trying to innovate the series some. I have to respect that Konami is still looking at new avenues. I just wish the game had some more depth/polish.

I fired it up last night and beat the crab boss on my first try that time and played an hour or so after that. The difficulty isn't unreasonable. I'd put it on par with Circle of the Moon probably. I just have little patience for memorizing boss patterns these days, so that's where I get annoyed with them. But they're not cheap thus far.

I think my gripes are mainly inline with the above posters. It just doesn't feel like a metroidvania with the overworld, village and villagers, smaller dungeons etc. I'm also not big on the glyph system. Too many combos just do the generic combined attack. And it sucks to experiment with the joint attacks since they use a lot of hearts. I mean you can try them in the village near the heart refill thing to see what it does, but I'd like to be able to hit enemies with them and see the damage they do.

It also seems that the leveling is different. I haven't noticed my HP, MP or my attack stats etc. going up when I level up just when I find Max Ups or put on new armor/glyphs. Unless I've just missed it (i.e. it only goes up every so many levels), that seems to make grinding a bit pointless. In CoTM I'd just grind near save points when I was having problems with bosses and get my stats up.

All in all, it's not a bad game. It just doesn't feel like a pure Metroidvania game. But it's a catch 22 I guess as the series was getting a bit stale for me, but I never liked the old style Castlevania games and only got into the series with SotN. So I guess this franchise may just have to join the Nintendo franchises of games I used to love that just wore out their welcome with me from playing too many of them over the years.

The second half of the game takes place entirely in Dracula's castle and is much more like the metroidvanias of past. Just FYI.

I finally picked this game back up again... thanks to finishing Zombie BBQ.

I only wanted to say... dood... the euro copy is crazy nice looking!!

foto72ge5.jpg

foto74uj1.jpg

I really like both, but the Europeans got the better deal. I always loved how Playstation games had inside and outside boxart due to the transparent case. We (NA) should get that.

How'd you wind up with the Euro version?

not mine... I saw it posted on gaf.

anyway, I perfected another boss today! whoo!!
The shadow boss

I'm playing this game at work during break times... time management ftw!!

omg... Death Ring... SO AWESOME!!!

if u wear it, you die if you get hit once,

but got damn it makes your attacks SO POWERFUL!!

I killed death with like no effort whatsoever!! just using the Laser glyph (70+ damage each hit, and hits up to 3 times) and the item union (a huge energy sword which I think did 500+ damage!!)

the only hard part was trying to avoid the move he does when the 6 sickles form like a parabola around you... jump, double jump, dive kick straight down... the timing is real hard tho

You need to get whatever glyph makes you move super fast. That can make boss encounters much easier.

Death Ring is good because it forces you to learn how to play to get medals.

This difficulty is a real pain in the dick. I've died a lot. The crab boss was annoying but doable, but the "fly straight at you, and then hover around your body constantly dealing damage" enemies are just plain annoying.

I'm trying to get into Misty Forest Road, but they guys at the entrance kick me off screen before I can do enough damage to kill them. Also because of the weakness system, I'm forced to use the weapons I hate that I'd never use in the other Castlevania games.

I donno... I thought this was the easiest Castlevania.

jus coz it gives u an incentive to kill bosses without getting hit... you're pretty much forced to step your shyt up and become hella good at the game

Easy, really? When I played it, I died on pretty much ever boss multiple times. I don't think that's every happen to me with a Castlevania game.

bread's done
Back