Challenging PS2 Games?

Pope On A Rope

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Within the past year I bought Klonoa 2, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry 1, and Okami and was very disappointed by the ridiculously low difficulty of each. I'm looking for some challenging PS2 games to play, like Gitaroo Man, Metal Slug Anthology, MGS on higher difficulties, or Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Something that's not too easy and takes some work.

Any suggestions?

I've read that the original DMC 3 was ridiculously hard, almost on par with Ninja Gaiden. Contra: Shattered Soldier was pretty difficult too. The MGS series isn''t all that difficult to me on the upper difficulty levels, unless you're going for no alerts/kills.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection might be hard, but it's mostly cause Hyper Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo(or whatever the heck it's called) has unbalanced gameplay. It's a pain in the ass to go through the game with a regular SF2 character while you have SSF2T versions beating the hell out of you due to faster movement.

[quote name='Pope On A Rope']Within the past year I bought Klonoa 2, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry 1, and Okami and was very disappointed by the ridiculously low difficulty of each. I'm looking for some challenging PS2 games to play, like Gitaroo Man, Metal Slug Anthology, MGS on higher difficulties, or Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Something that's not too easy and takes some work.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

god of war 1 & 2 play the first one on god mode and the second on god and titan mode 9 that will be enough challenge to drive you nuts.

gun on the hard mode is a hell of a challenge.

if youve never played a gta game before they can be quite a challenge the first time through but after youve played a couple he challenge goes down.

i found metal gear snake eater a challenge but mostly due to the camera.

psi ops on hard mode as well as matrix path of neo ar emore challenging but not beatable especially with psi ops bcause of how many diff ways you can attack a board.

devil may cry 3 special edition crazy hard ( id had limited exposure to the series before this one ).

shadow of the colossus is more brain hard as is ico but theyre both short games but colossus has replay value and both stories are amazing.

killswitch on hard is difficult and i find socom 3 hard but again its the first game ive played in the series and since i had alot of other games to play i havent dedicated time to getting used to it.

tenchu games tend to be difficult for diff reasons.

the maximo series has a nice challenge to it as well.

Devil May Cry 3 (do NOT get Special Edition, that one is easier) and Contra Shattered Soldier.

As for God of War on god mode...all that does is give the enemies more health and make your attacks weaker...so yeah...I wouldn't recommend it.

I agree completly with Contra: Shattered Soldier. Even on co-op it's still damn hard simply because you have to be damn careful with lives and definetly more twitch reliant then any Metal Slug game.

Victorious Boxers (either the first or second one) was another one I found hard, simply because the learning curve is insanely deep and the AI gets pretty cheap.

Maybe I suck at videogames but I thought there were some pretty difficult Katamari Damacy levels. Overall the game isn't too hard, but it has its frustrating moments.

I would have to agree with Shinobi and Contra: Shattered Soldier to provide a good degree of difficultly on the default settings.

Wizardry is a difficult old-school RPG, if you are looking in that genre.

[quote name='brainmunch']Maybe I suck at videogames but I thought there were some pretty difficult Katamari Damacy levels. Overall the game isn't too hard, but it has its frustrating moments.[/quote] I think only frustrating part i had in any Katamari game was in We Love Katamari with trying to keep your Katamari on fire, but mostly it was due to alot of figuring out what to specifically roll over.

It may just be me but I found Twisted Metal Black to be pretty hard. Mostly because lack of lives and how enemies keep getting stacked and the bosses are damn cheap.

Resident Evil 4 is another one simply because its hard to get use to lack of straffling (also the enemies can be assholes and good share of cheap deaths). Not to mention harder difficulty levels in it.

I'd say the Maximo games as well.

Top 3 PS2 games that are pretty difficult compared to the rest:

Devil May Cry 3 (Special Edition is fine since it does have the hard modes and all that... dunno if they're available from the start, but I prefer this to the original edition.)

Shinobi (Absolutely phenomenal game... sure, there's a lot of similar corridors, but if you get fixated on only that, you miss the literally perfect old-school gameplay.)

Contra: Shattered Soldier (Very old school... it's fuckin' Contra, you should know what it is.)

In addition to the games already mentioned...

Stuntman: That game made me twist my controller into a pretzel.

Flatout: Not sure if this is out for the ps2, I have it for Xbox, but either way its hard.

Alien Hominid: Theres soo much going on at once on the screen, you will die many cheap deaths.

Sorry I feel like including other platform games :)
My favorite super painful games are:
Ninja Gaiden Black!
DMC3(Original)
Gears of War(Insane)

Final Fantasy XI can be impossible at the start from what i've heard....heh

I was going to say Shinobi, but everyone else already said it. I'm going to say it anyway - it was that hard. :p

On the RPG side (since you mentioned playing FFX), Dragon Quest VIII was pretty tough. It, however, is nothing compared to SMT: Nocturne. Nocturne will kick your ass, guaranteed. Yea, it's hard to find & relatively expensive (I've seen it around $50 used recently, which is what it was new, so...) but it's an incredible game and very challenging.

[quote name='willardhaven']Isn't DMC 3 SE the same thing, only it allows you to choose from easy, regular, hard and really hard vs. easy regular hard?[/QUOTE]
It's supposed to be the same, but they messed with it somehow and made it easier. For example I was fighting Cerberus on SE and Cerberus just laid down for no reason.

I don't know what they did to it, but I swear they subtly made the game easier without telling anyone.

Since the sequel is just around the corner, pick up and play the original Manhunt. It's one of the most difficult games I've ever played.

[quote name='brduvel']God Hand.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. I am increasingly wondering why I bother playing the game at certain stages. :)

Not to mention the vast pieces of the level that you have to go _over_ again if you die on the last guy... plus very little health potions (fruit, I mean) scattered about between fights. But it's fun to stomp the ever-loving hell out of someone. :) I like going up to guys at the bar or slot machine (in the 2nd level particularly) and bashing them in the back with a post... it's brutal. ;)

Other games I found insanely difficult: DMC3 (as noted), Test Drive (the AI cars were so much faster..) the Pro circuit of Rumble Racing (man, the AI gets brutal in that one...) I'm lucky to get third on any race...

And trying to get a running game going on any Madden football game on Pro. :) I just didn't have what it took, I guess. Thankfully, I only bought 2001 and 2004... (both for $5 well after the new ones came out... heh)

DMC 3
God Hand (Awesome game BTW :applause:)
SMT: Nocturne on Hard mode :cry:
Shinobi

Going to add Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter to the list.

[quote name='Mechafenris']Seconded. I am increasingly wondering why I bother playing the game at certain stages. :)

Not to mention the vast pieces of the level that you have to go _over_ again if you die on the last guy... plus very little health potions (fruit, I mean) scattered about between fights. But it's fun to stomp the ever-loving hell out of someone. :) I like going up to guys at the bar or slot machine (in the 2nd level particularly) and bashing them in the back with a post... it's brutal. ;)
[/quote]

It really is so difficult, but so rewarding when you get it right. In addition, chihuahua races.

if you include car games. try Stuntman (should be $5 at eb/gs). the repeatitiveness of that game, plus the time limitations, makes you wanna pull your hair off!!! this game requires alot of patience and endurance.

I guess that it depends on your patience. If you really want to do everything on any Final fantasy game (witch was cited as an easy game), you will spend 150+ hours unless you use a good walkthrough.

I may suck in action games, but God of War I and II was pretty tougth for me in the hardest setting

Alien Hominid and Beatmania. I played Alien Hominid for a couple of weeks before giving up completely, and to beat Beatmania on the highest settings you have to be damn near a prodigy.

bread's done
Back