Challenging RPG's out there?

Mishimaryu

Banned
You can't really die in RPG's just level up gain exp. Yea but I played Legaia 2 Duel Saga and the difficulty is mixed in somewhat started out to be very hard then normal...I'm not going to spoil anything so yea what RPG's out there do you find to be rather difficult?

umm suikoden II was not so much difficult as there were certain elements of it tied to timing or you would lose huge parts of the story.

I thought the Lufia games were hard because the Bosses would level up with you so you couldn't kcik there ass by having no life and building up tons of levels. I heard they got easier each time they got ported, but it was DAMN hard on saturn, and pretty hard on PSX.

Friggen Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. The whole game is wired for you to lose, restart, and supposedly start w/ most of your inventory and XP, but yah, that didn't happen w/ my friends copy. I watched him play for about 5 hours, he died, restarted, and only got a quarter of his XP back and nearly none of his items :evil:. I'm going to start it myself after Disgaea, but wow, i have a feeling it will pwn my ass

Edit: mentioned that Dragon Quarter was from the Breath of Fire series

You want a challenging RPG? Try to find Beyond the Beyond on PS1. It's a challenge to get through that game with its random encounter rate and horrible gameplay.

the lunar series was challenging on the psx, also ff3 was sweet (i remember that was the hardest final fantasy, even though i dont know how much that is really saying). if you really want a challenge...buy an import, where u cant read the words, that would be a challenge

[quote name='DriftChamp']You want a challenging RPG? Try to find Beyond the Beyond on PS1. It's a challenge to get through that game with its random encounter rate and horrible gameplay.[/quote]
Beyond the Beyond is hard as hell but a shitty game. Temco Secret of the Stars and Paladin's Quest are very hard but fun back in the day.

[quote name='ElfAngel7']Friggen Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. The whole game is wired for you to lose, restart, and supposedly start w/ most of your inventory and XP, but yah, that didn't happen w/ my friends copy. I watched him play for about 5 hours, he died, restarted, and only got a quarter of his XP back and nearly none of his items :evil:. I'm going to start it myself after Disgaea, but wow, i have a feeling it will pwn my ass

Edit: mentioned that Dragon Quarter was from the Breath of Fire series[/quote]

oh yea I forgot about this game. Not my favorite BOF game but it did add a challenge the story was some what lacking since you had to play it several times to see everything. The way they designed it not to mention the temptation of using the D-counter ratio made it hard for some of the boss battles.

[quote name='DriftChamp']You want a challenging RPG? Try to find Beyond the Beyond on PS1. It's a challenge to get through that game with its random encounter rate and horrible gameplay.[/quote]

GAAAAH! Beyond the Beyond was horrid. I remember one dungeon I never got more than two succesive steps before being attacked.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Xenosaga......i say sitting through the cinemas was challanging lol[/quote]

At least you could pause them so that you could use the restroom or get something to eat, etc. =)

In Final Fantasy Tactics, you could level-up enough that the story battles became fairly easy (because the enemies' levels were fixed). The random battles, though, were occasionally pretty tough because the enemies' levels scaled up with yours. Stupid red chocobos...

I haven't played Tales of Symphonia, but I just got the new EGM yesterday, and it said the game is not for newbies. "Boss fights skew too difficult, forcing you to bash random enemies for a while to level up first" says reviewer #1, Shane. Jennifer, reviewer #2, says, "Unless you're a connoisseur of Japanese RPGs with a circle of like-minded friends and a long list of bookmarked websites full of walkthroughs, you'll need real perseverance for Symphonia. It throws you into its complex, multilayered combat system headfirst; three hours in, I still felt like I needed a tutorial." Reviewer #3, Christian, compares to the game to Othello: "a moment to learn, a lifetime to master." Despite the difficulty, the reviewers rated the game highly: its scores were 8.5, 7.5, and 8.5, earning a silver medal. Jennifer's closing comments were that Tales is a "rewarding, rich, and addictive game, but the stingy save system makes it a tad too hardcore." It sounds like it might fit your bill.

[quote name='Mishimaryu']You can't really die in RPG's just level up gain exp. Yea but I played Legaia 2 Duel Saga and the difficulty is mixed in somewhat started out to be very hard then normal...I'm not going to spoil anything so yea what RPG's out there do you find to be rather difficult?[/quote]

I don't think there are still much recent RPG's where you can just keep on getting lvl up and your life will get easier. those kinda RPG's are old, or maybe for the american made ones. most RPG's nowadays aren't working that way, they are relative as the enemies levels will change depending on your levels

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I thought the Lufia games were hard because the Bosses would level up with you so you couldn't kcik there ass by having no life and building up tons of levels. I heard they got easier each time they got ported, but it was DAMN hard on saturn, and pretty hard on PSX.[/quote]

I think you're talking about Lunar.

Lufia/Estpolis has never been on a non-Nintendo system.

Final Fantasy 4 was pretty difficult. The American Final Fantasy 2 remake was incredibly easy, but play the Japanese one or the one in FF Chronicles. I had to beat the final boss with only 2 guys alive, because I wasn't healing everyone fast enough with 4.

[quote name='Battousai1002']Final Fantasy 4 was pretty difficult. The American Final Fantasy 2 remake was incredibly easy, but play the Japanese one or the one in FF Chronicles. I had to beat the final boss with only 2 guys alive, because I wasn't healing everyone fast enough with 4.[/quote]

I agree FF4 is difficult, the most difficult part of it is when after the twin sisters turned into stone.

[quote name='mr. filet mignon 5000, es'][quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I thought the Lufia games were hard because the Bosses would level up with you so you couldn't kcik there ass by having no life and building up tons of levels. I heard they got easier each time they got ported, but it was DAMN hard on saturn, and pretty hard on PSX.[/quote]

I think you're talking about Lunar.

Lufia/Estpolis has never been on a non-Nintendo system.[/quote]

Yeah you;re right. I realized this but then someone else talked about lunar. Thanks though.

you should try to play through the original dragon warrior for nintendo again.

I remember that dragonlord was mad hard when I tried to fight him on level 19 hehe

plus it would be a challenge to go through that game itself, as you have to level up quite a bit.

I thought some (all?) of the bosses in Lufia also leveled up as you did. I remember beating that game a long time ago. I had saved right before the last set of bosses, and decided I would go back and play it again. I went back to that save and leveled up all my characters about 5 levels to make the boss fight easier. I got destroyed by the second or third boss in the set. It wasn't even a close fight.

Dragon Warrior on NES was pretty flippin hard when i was a little kid, but im glad i got through it eventually because it concreted my love for RPGS. All i pretty much play anymore is RPGS, only thing that keeps my interest. I also wanna say Grandia 2 on DC was super easy until i got to the very last boss then it seemed overly difficult, it took me a ton of tries to beat the last boss.

I never played it but I remember hearing about some PS1 RPG that was almost impossible to play due to its difficulty. I wanna say it was Hoshigami: Destroying Blue Earth. Not sure tho.

i just remember that one of the great game series that I have forgot to mention, 真.女神転生 (Shin.OgameDensen) is fairly hard to play, especially the old ones~ I had only played all of them in Japanese and I don't even know they have released/translated to english or not. the newest ones on PS2 (lastest one is Mainac with Donte in Devil May Cry embedded to the game) are also hard to play as a RPG, but that's what make it addictive to me~ I hate easy RPG's~ waste of time

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Persona 2, trust me, unless you have mystical powers you'll die at least once or twice.[/quote]

If die once or twice is considered as hard, then you defintely should try 真.女神転生 and you will know what is hard. you will die all the way through the game and probably unable to finish it unless you cheat to read walkthroughs

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Persona 2, trust me, unless you have mystical powers you'll die at least once or twice.[/quote]

I just bought Persona 2. Guess I have something to look forward to.

As a kid FF4 rocked me hard. I went back and played it last year, and it was so easy. I guess I was just retarded as a kid.

[quote name='CarmenJubei'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']Persona 2, trust me, unless you have mystical powers you'll die at least once or twice.[/quote]

If die once or twice is considered as hard, then you defintely should try 真.女真伝生 and you will know what is hard. you will die all the way through the game and probably unable to finish it unless you cheat to read walkthroughs[/quote]

Well I died probably 10 times in Persona 2 the most I've every died in an RPG, espicially during the fight with the detective and he's got 4 cops around him.

I was just responding to the orginal post, saying he never dies in RPG's, all you have to do is level up. I know leveling up in Persona 2 just won't cut it, you really gotta pay attention to your Personas and equip them and level them up properly.

I played a game called "Azure Dreams" for ps1 a long time ago, I thought it was pretty difficult. But I was just a kid, so I could be mistaken.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut'][quote name='CarmenJubei'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']Persona 2, trust me, unless you have mystical powers you'll die at least once or twice.[/quote]

If die once or twice is considered as hard, then you defintely should try 真.女真伝生 and you will know what is hard. you will die all the way through the game and probably unable to finish it unless you cheat to read walkthroughs[/quote]

Well I died probably 10 times in Persona 2 the most I've every died in an RPG, espicially during the fight with the detective and he's got 4 cops around him.

I was just responding to the orginal post, saying he never dies in RPG's, all you have to do is level up. I know leveling up in Persona 2 just won't cut it, you really gotta pay attention to your Personas and equip them and level them up properly.[/quote]

i see~ oh well, i still recommend you to try 真.女真伝生. I had probably game overed over 100 times for each single 真.女真伝生 series, and it is the way it used to be for that game. For the 新.真女真伝生 that was released on PS2, I had actually gave up for 2 months after I am unable to pass the 130+ floors tower in the game. I finished the game by starting again for over 2 months after I gave up. Actually when I think about it, it is really the hardest RPG series I have played for all these years since the old family computer times over 17 yrs ago. It is a well-known game in Japan with a cool collections of demons, angels, devils and etc.. beside this particularly hard-to-play RPG, FFIV and the boss of FFVI & FFVIII are a bit harder then the average

This is off-topic, but X-death makes FF V hard in my opinion....I played it a long time ago and never finished beating him (friend took his game back). Game wasn't that tough, but X-death just SUCKS. Maybe I too was a dumb kid...

Another hard RPG was an old school rpg for PC called curse of the silver blades, it was a forgotten Realms game where you had to enter this cave and look for a magic pool. The catch was everytime you exited the cave and entered again, the # of enemies would increase, after awhile i was fighting like 50 guys, most of them being minotaurs, which took up two spots on the grid, so basically fighting 2 humans. it was madness, i dont think i ever finished it, it was the only one of the 9 D&D games of that series i dint beat.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Sorry CarmenJubei, but I get a bunch of little boxes on my screen, so I have no clue what game your talking about.[/quote]

hum...guess you should install the japanese language with your windows or browser.

for the PS2, the game official website is here http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/dds3/

this game is hard on every aspects...enemies, bosses, storyline etc..

FFVII. Well not the game really but the weapons! Oh my god it took me weeks to master all my needed materia to take them down. You should also try Phantasy Star 3. The game ain't hard it just that the very first time you step out of town you can kiss your ass goodbye.

[quote name='CarmenJubei']i just remember that one of the great game series that I have forgot to mention, 真.女神転生 (Shin.OgameDensen) is fairly hard to play, especially the old ones~ I had only played all of them in Japanese and I don't even know they have released/translated to english or not. the newest ones on PS2 (lastest one is Mainac with Donte in Devil May Cry embedded to the game) are also hard to play as a RPG, but that's what make it addictive to me~ I hate easy RPG's~ waste of time[/quote]

That isn't read as "Shin Ogame Densen." That's "Shin Megami Tensei," meaning (my translation, don't trust it) "Reincarnation of the True Goddess."

I have all the SF and Saturn [re-]releases, and most of the PC Engine and Playstation releases of SMT and related games, but I wish I had the Famicom originals. :( I stopped buying Megami Tensei-related games with the last console generation, but I did buy the Demikids carts. I'm also looking forward to the SMT-related PS2 games that are going to be translated.

Edit: Ack, my reading of "Shin" was wrong. Fixed.

i would say games like everquest are the hardest, on account of they ask you to sacrifice everything you hold dear. no other game can actually claim to destroy your life =) plus, every other rpg you can get to max lvl in...say, 50 hours. in EQ of FFXI or whatever, no! try 5000 hours!!! wahaha, Satan has made a game.

in all seriousness though, Morrowind for computer can be hard because it has a difficulty slider. put that way up and you're in for a very hard time.

i also remember the Persona games for the PS1 being tough, but that could be because i was younger back them. the fights became quite challenging for me at points. great games.

and there was X-Com, Terror from the Deep. i think that was the hardest of the three, although that is not a pure rpg. more tactical.

[quote name='mr. filet mignon 5000, es'][quote name='CarmenJubei']i just remember that one of the great game series that I have forgot to mention, 真.女神転生 (Shin.OgameDensen) is fairly hard to play, especially the old ones~ I had only played all of them in Japanese and I don't even know they have released/translated to english or not. the newest ones on PS2 (lastest one is Mainac with Donte in Devil May Cry embedded to the game) are also hard to play as a RPG, but that's what make it addictive to me~ I hate easy RPG's~ waste of time[/quote]

That isn't read as "Shin Ogame Densen." That's "Shin Megami Tensei," meaning (my translation, don't trust it) "Reincarnation of the Violent Goddess."

I have all the SF and Saturn [re-]releases, and most of the PC Engine and Playstation releases of SMT and related games, but I wish I had the Famicom originals. :( I stopped buying Megami Tensei-related games with the last console generation, but I did buy the Demikids carts. I'm also looking forward to the SMT-related PS2 games that are going to be translated.[/quote]
it is how i type the japanese, anyway~ the translation should just be 'reincarnation of the true/real Goddess' nothing violent. i see, so it is not translated to english still (already 2 yrs ago since III Nocturne is released)~ yea, it used to be a cool series and the recent one with Donte in it is kinda cool~ I got the old games of it in family computer and the super nintendo family computer as well :wink: it has been yrs playing this series, just as the FF series~

[quote name='CarmenJubei'][quote name='mr. filet mignon 5000, es'][quote name='CarmenJubei']i just remember that one of the great game series that I have forgot to mention, 真.女神転生 (Shin.OgameDensen) is fairly hard to play, especially the old ones~ I had only played all of them in Japanese and I don't even know they have released/translated to english or not. the newest ones on PS2 (lastest one is Mainac with Donte in Devil May Cry embedded to the game) are also hard to play as a RPG, but that's what make it addictive to me~ I hate easy RPG's~ waste of time[/quote]

That isn't read as "Shin Ogame Densen." That's "Shin Megami Tensei," meaning (my translation, don't trust it) "Reincarnation of the Violent Goddess."

I have all the SF and Saturn [re-]releases, and most of the PC Engine and Playstation releases of SMT and related games, but I wish I had the Famicom originals. :( I stopped buying Megami Tensei-related games with the last console generation, but I did buy the Demikids carts. I'm also looking forward to the SMT-related PS2 games that are going to be translated.[/quote]
it is how i type the japanese, anyway~ the translation should just be 'reincarnation of the true/real Goddess' nothing violent. i see, so it is not translated to english still (already 2 yrs ago since III Nocturne is released)~ yea, it used to be a cool series and the recent one with Donte in it is kinda cool~ I got the old games of it in family computer and the super nintendo family computer as well :wink: it has been yrs playing this series, just as the FF series~[/quote]

Heh, fixed the reading before you posted. :p (I skipped reading "Shin" when I saw you were talking about Megami Tensei, then I saw that this wasn't the "Shin" meaning "violence.") But what's with the input method? Your kanji keep coming out different each time.

I believe the Persona games and Demikids were the last SMT-related games here. That one DC sword game (can't remember the name) had a SMT look, but it wasn't related. We never got cool stuff like Soul Hackers or the other half of Persona 2, or any of that stuff, so I just imported the dang stuff.

[quote name='valance']i would say games like everquest are the hardest, on account of they ask you to sacrifice everything you hold dear. no other game can actually claim to destroy your life =) plus, every other rpg you can get to max lvl in...say, 50 hours. in EQ of FFXI or whatever, no! try 5000 hours!!! wahaha, Satan has made a game.

in all seriousness though, Morrowind for computer can be hard because it has a difficulty slider. put that way up and you're in for a very hard time.[/quote]

sometimes it is pointless to lvl up to the max where usually you won't need to in a PRG. you can't consider the time to get your characters lvl up to be a factor to determine a game is hard or not. of cos an online RPG will take way more time, as it is how they suck your money from paying monthly subscriptions

[quote name='mr. filet mignon 5000, es'][quote name='CarmenJubei'][quote name='mr. filet mignon 5000, es'][quote name='CarmenJubei']i just remember that one of the great game series that I have forgot to mention, 真.女神転生 (Shin.OgameDensen) is fairly hard to play, especially the old ones~ I had only played all of them in Japanese and I don't even know they have released/translated to english or not. the newest ones on PS2 (lastest one is Mainac with Donte in Devil May Cry embedded to the game) are also hard to play as a RPG, but that's what make it addictive to me~ I hate easy RPG's~ waste of time[/quote]

it is how i type the japanese, anyway~ the translation should just be 'reincarnation of the true/real Goddess' nothing violent. i see, so it is not translated to english still (already 2 yrs ago since III Nocturne is released)~ yea, it used to be a cool series and the recent one with Donte in it is kinda cool~ I got the old games of it in family computer and the super nintendo family computer as well :wink: it has been yrs playing this series, just as the FF series~[/quote]

Heh, fixed the reading before you posted. :p (I skipped reading "Shin" when I saw you were talking about Megami Tensei, then I saw that this wasn't the "Shin" meaning "violence.") But what's with the input method? Your kanji keep coming out different each time.

I believe the Persona games and Demikids were the last SMT-related games here. That one DC sword game (can't remember the name) had a SMT look, but it wasn't related. We never got cool stuff like Soul Hackers or the other half of Persona 2, or any of that stuff, so I just imported the dang stuff.[/quote]

Shin, and Shin in the new release on PS2 has different meaning, yet with the same sound. 真.女神転生 is correct and the old ones, 新.真.女神転生 is the new ones on PS2. 新 (where you may say it as 'atarashi' means new, and 真 means real/true. and there is nothing meaning violent here. yea, the best way to play these great games is to play the original new releases in Japanese, no waits and no hassels~ :lol: the only thing you need is just to learn the japanese :wink: btw, the Demikids on GBA u mean~? i have it but didn't have enuf time to give it a try

Persona 2 is extremely dificult as rpg's go. It is also a spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei series. For those interested, Persona 2 and the two demikids games for GBA(titled Devil Children in Japan) are the only game related to SMT released here in the states. Thankfully Atlus is finally coming around though and we'll be getting a port of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne later this year(this is the one featuring Dante as a potential party member).
Ever since I stumbled upon Persona 2 by accident in my local EB I have been in love with this franchise. It's just such a refreshing change from the normal rpg fare. Mind you, I love a lot of those normal rpg's but I love rpg's that change things up a lot more(ie Valkyrie Profile, Persona 2).

Incidentally, there's another real challenging rpg for you. Valkyrie Profile was a real challenge on the harder difficulties. You kept having to start over with your characters but enemy difficulty kept ramping up contuously throughout the game. I mean the whole system of the game is set up so that the more you progress towards your ultimate goal the harder it is to continue because you've sent your best fighters on to Valhalla. This is a real gem of a game that any rpg fan looking for something different should try out.

[quote name='tyecko']FF tactics advance[/quote]

FFTA was easy. The original FFT for the PSX was legitimately difficult, though. That's the only example I can really think of...I have played Beyond the Beyond, but it was so long ago, and I really don't want to think about it.

[quote name='OutlawJT']Persona 2 is extremely dificult as rpg's go. It is also a spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei series. For those interested, Persona 2 and the two demikids games for GBA(titled Devil Children in Japan) are the only game related to SMT released here in the states. Thankfully Atlus is finally coming around though and we'll be getting a port of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne later this year(this is the one featuring Dante as a potential party member).
Ever since I stumbled upon Persona 2 by accident in my local EB I have been in love with this franchise. It's just such a refreshing change from the normal rpg fare. Mind you, I love a lot of those normal rpg's but I love rpg's that change things up a lot more(ie Valkyrie Profile, Persona 2).
[/quote]

sorry for the disappointment but Dante from Devil May Cry is not a potential member for III nocturne maniac. For SMT (where i found you guys are actually calling it that after posting on this thread) on PS2, the main character himself is the only party all the way through the game, there are no party members, except the demons and devils (enemies) you invited to join you during the battles. Dante is in the game only to try to hunt the devils, and so as the main character, down as a devils hunter. (btw, III Nocturne and III Nocturne Maniac is completely the same except for a few points in the story where Dante comes in...oh well, the saved file on Nocturne will be detected when you start Maniac) had finished both, and i am looking forward to FF12, hopefully can get it on winter2004, not spring2005 >.

bread's done
Back