Changing Gamertag Email?

JamalH

CAG Veteran
Hey guys, i recently started a new Gamertag and would like to use the email registered to my old one.

Is there anyway i can do this? any help is appreciated.

Last time I looked into this, it seemed like you could change where you would receive your xbox emails, but the actual email it's linked to is impossible to change.

I wonder if this is one of the things that will be fixed now that the original Xbox Live is dead.

It isn't impossible - not anymore, its been working for around a year now. You should be able to do it right from your console. From the Guide menu, just go to 'Account Management' or whatever its called. There should be an option to change your Windows Live ID. You'll have to be connected to XBL for it to work, obviously.

If you guys can't find the option, let me know and I'll give it a look. I've changed mine twice, and not just to where you get xbox.com emails. It changes the link to your gamertag.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Yamato']It isn't impossible - not anymore, its been working for around a year now. You should be able to do it right from your console. From the Guide menu, just go to 'Account Management' or whatever its called. There should be an option to change your Windows Live ID. You'll have to be connected to XBL for it to work, obviously.

If you guys can't find the option, let me know and I'll give it a look. I've changed mine twice, and not just to where you get xbox.com emails. It changes the link to your gamertag.[/QUOTE]

o rly?

I'll have to try this.

I did this about 6 months so I might be wrong on some things.

1. You have to change your old Gamertag window live email address to a new address
2. Create your new Gamertag with another new email address
3. Sign in with the new Gamertag and change the email address to the old email address

All of this has to be done on the Xbox 360 console.

Sorry if I was off on anything.

[quote name='The Notorious ROB']I did this about 6 months so I might be wrong on some things.

1. You have to change your old Gamertag window live email address to a new address
2. Create your new Gamertag with another new email address
3. Sign in with the new Gamertag and change the email address to the old email address

All of this has to be done on the Xbox 360 console.

Sorry if I was off on anything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if the email you want to use is attached to another gamertag then make sure you swap it away from the old one before you link it to the new one. Good call.

[quote name='gage006']Oh sweet, didn't know about that method. Too bad my email is linked to something that I can't remember :([/QUOTE]
You mean a gamertag? If your email is hotmail/msn, you might be able to sign into Windows Live messenger with your email and see if there's an option to display your gamertag info..I remember signing in once and it had my gamertag, asking if I wanted to show friends when I was on XBL or something.

Hmm..

That puts me in a pickle. Currently, a yahoo e-mail account is tied to my current gamertag (why they let me use a yahoo account is beyond me) because my old gamertag was tied to my hotmail account. That old gamertag has now long been dead.

Is there anything I can do?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Hmm..

That puts me in a pickle. Currently, a yahoo e-mail account is tied to my current gamertag (why they let me use a yahoo account is beyond me) because my old gamertag was tied to my hotmail account. That old gamertag has now long been dead.

Is there anything I can do?[/QUOTE]That shouldn't be a problem as my gamertag is tied to a gmail address.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Hmm..

Is there anything I can do?[/QUOTE]
So you want to use the hotmail account from the old gamertag for your new gamertag? What do you mean by 'dead'? You can recover an old gamertag with the email and password of the attached hotmail account.

[quote name='Yamato']So you want to use the hotmail account from the old gamertag for your new gamertag? What do you mean by 'dead'? You can recover an old gamertag with the email and password of the attached hotmail account.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

And what I mean by "dead" is that I've been using my current GT for the past 2+ years. I want to stop using my yahoo mail account for anything and everything. I'm surprised they even let me use it still. I deactivated the yahoo account about a year ago.

I originally used the yahoo account for this current GT (Panda Owning Em) because my old GT (Pandamonium87) had my hotmail account tied to it, and XBL would not let me tie two GT's to one e-mail.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Yes.

And what I mean by "dead" is that I've been using my current GT for the past 2+ years. I want to stop using my yahoo mail account for anything and everything. I'm surprised they even let me use it still. I deactivated the yahoo account about a year ago.

I originally used the yahoo account for this current GT (Panda Owning Em) because my old GT (Pandamonium87) had my hotmail account tied to it, and XBL would not let me tie two GT's to one e-mail.[/QUOTE]

So you've already tried recovering your old gamertag back to your console? I know its over 2 years old, but as long as you know your hotmail and its password, I don't see why it wouldn't work. A quick look-up of your old gamertag shows that its at least still in the records.

You may be able to go to xbox.com, and try signing in with your hotmail info. That should log you in as your old GT, then from the site you can change the associated email (to whatever, as long as it breaks the link).

Then through your Xbox console, sign into live with your current GT with the yahoo account, go to Account Management, and try to change the Windows Live ID to your hotmail.

Sorry if you've already tried this without success, pretty sure this is the only way to do it.

is it generally the case that hotmail or msn email addresses should be used for a windows live id? as someone mentioned earlier an isp can go under and all accounts get wiped but having a Microsoft brand email as your windows live id should help to safeguard against these things right?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']is it generally the case that hotmail or msn email addresses should be used for a windows live id? as someone mentioned earlier an isp can go under and all accounts get wiped but having a Microsoft brand email as your windows live id should help to safeguard against these things right?[/QUOTE]

I would say so, yeah. Makes things a lot easier for me, anyway. I doubt Microsoft is going anywhere.

Cheers guys. ill try changing my old gamertag email to something else, then ill try and put that one on my current one.

bread's done
Back