Cheap 3DS Games 2.0 - It's Back

umbry

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (95%)
vqucrx.png

*image made by Pekola

It's back. 2.0. Slowly rebuilding the thread and searching for deals.
A thread for us to keep track of cheap 3DS games and upcoming releases and deals,
If you have any deals post them in the thread and I will try and update the OP.
Or if you have deal questions ask here and we will try and help you out.

SALE SECTION

Key

SALE = SALE / AD SALE
CLE = Clearance meaning YRMV

Amazon

Bravely Second: End Layer - $24.94

- Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash - $9.68

- Codename S.T.E.A.M. - $9.15
Final Fantasy Explorers - $14.99

LBX: Little Battlers eXperience - $8.85
Return to PopoloCrois: A STORY OF SEASONS Fairytale - $14.50

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - $12.53

Best Buy

Frys

GameStop

Target

Toy R Us

Walmart

GoHastings

UPCOMING 3DS Games Section

Monster Hunter Stories - 9/8
Metroid: Samus Returns - 9/15
Pokemon Gold/Silver - 9/22
Culdcept Revolt - 10/3
LAYTON’S MYSTERY JOURNEY: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy - 10/6
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - 10/6
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond The Myth - 10/17
Pokemon Moon & Pokemon Sun -  11/17
Fire Emblem Warriors - 12/31
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - 3/31                                                                   
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux3/31 (pre-order now since it is $29)

Digimon Universe : Appli Monsters

Monster Tale Ultimate - TBA
Donkey Kong Land - TBA
Mighty No 9 - TBA
New Atelier Rorona - TBA
Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest - TBA

Hope for The West

Terry's 3D Wonderland
Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3

e-shop Deals

Last edited by a moderator:
I should pay attention to the thread. been trying to get a few old games for cheap :/
3DS Cave Story 3D
3DS Shinobi
3DS Rhythm Thief
I was lucky, I happened to buy Cave Story 3D right before it went OOP, and while I was planning to sale it, once I saw it was no longer out, I kept it. I also happened to see Rhythm Thief was OOP due to Gamefaqs at the time, so I went on the hunt and was able to get a retail copy through Fry's. I actually bought Shinobi 3D on sale, but didn't care for it and sold it ASAP. I don't know if that was is OOP, but it can still be found rather cheap.

I was lucky, I happened to buy Cave Story 3D right before it went OOP, and while I was planning to sale it, once I saw it was no longer out, I kept it. I also happened to see Rhythm Thief was OOP due to Gamefaqs at the time, so I went on the hunt and was able to get a retail copy through Fry's. I actually bought Shinobi 3D on sale, but didn't care for it and sold it ASAP. I don't know if that was is OOP, but it can still be found rather cheap.
I got Shinobi 3D a year back when GoHastings clearanced them for $6. I didn't care for it much, until one day the game just clicked with and I started to feel the rhythm. Now I think it's one of the best action games on the 3DS. Can't beat it on the highest difficulties of course, those don't give you unlimited continues.

Great thread! This might have already been mentioned but there are several Phoenix Wright games on sale on the eshop right now.  The remake of the original trilogy is 22.49 (25% off) and Dual Destinies is 16.79 (44% off). Deal good until 3/26

I got Shinobi 3D a year back when GoHastings clearanced them for $6. I didn't care for it much, until one day the game just clicked with and I started to feel the rhythm. Now I think it's one of the best action games on the 3DS. Can't beat it on the highest difficulties of course, those don't give you unlimited continues.
Maybe I need to try again, as my experience was the same. I may have bought it at the same sale, as I remember I got it cheap.

There are so many great reviews for it, but I just wasn't seeing it. I loved the original arcade game, and revenge on the Genesis was one of my all time great from the 16-bit era, but this game didn't move me. I will admit, I didn't give it much time, but in my experiences, if a game doesn't move me right away, more often than not, it never will.

There was one game I didn't like at first, and later fell in love with and that was Rayman Origins. I played the demo and thought, what is all the hype about. Then I just kept seeing great comments, and was able to but it cheap, and now it's one of the best games I've ever played. So maybe Shinobi 3D deserves another go.

The good thing is, the price is very low for Shinobi, so I an get it anytime and not have to cash in retirement funds to get it. LOL

Don't bother buying it IMHO, the game is annoyingly repetitive in all the wrong ways. I only got it and played all the way through because it was free (except paying tax).
The battles follow the same annoying structure: you start off with whatever characters you have and fight whatever enemies appeared first. After fighting for about 30 minutes and wiping out everyone except several enemies left, it's time for some lengthy dialogue, then cue the sudden appearance of a shitload more enemies that dot the whole map! :bomb: That's okay through, several allies appear to help! :whistle2:o buuuut they are on the other side of the map! :wall: So you just need to move and unite both parties together very slow and painfully across the grid for about 10 turns while wiping out the endless hordes of enemies, which takes about an hour or two. :censored: Oh and there's also the overhaxed bosses that usually comes in pairs that enjoy ambushing you halfway through when your party is split. This goes on and on again for 40 levels too. :fridge:
The later battles can last 3-5 hours, following the same formula.
What makes the game even more painful is that you have to maintain leveling each character in your party consistenly, no one should be left behind or they will be easy pickings for enemies in later stages. Items that help revive HP and attacks are scarce as there is no shop to buy them, you can only get them from defeating enemies and not all of them carry what you need.
Thanks for your detailed response. I've been tempted several times to pick it up but I just can't bring myself to do it, especially after reading this. I'm the kind of person that doesn't have 3-5 hours for some battles. I was hoping for battles that lasted 15-30 minutes, MAYBE up to 45 minutes -- it just becomes more of a chore than anything at that point. I know I'd end up frustrated with the whole experience more than anything, and that's just not worth $10 to me.

Best way of getting FE: Awakening? Amazon I'm guessing?
Yeah, you're not gonna find a cheap copy unless your Best Buy happens to have a use copy or something. I've been seeing lots of copies showing up at Target recently and people have been finding copies without Club Nintendo codes, so I guess it's not out of print yet.

lol I'm gonna have a hard time looking for these games

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
Cave Story 3D
Shinobi
Mario Party: Island Tour
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns
NDS Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (gonna get the 3DS eShop version)
NDS Chrono Trigger

Dead or Alive Dimensions
Shinobi
If it helps, I stumbled upon these games at some targets while looking through the current promotion. Only picked up kid icarus which was unfortunately msrp. All my local stores were $12 but just removed it from their systems.

Cave Story 3D
I'd recommend getting the eShop version, but I have seen this numerous times at Gamestop used without the case, the price however was way to high for my taste for just the cart.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Cave Story 3D
Shinobi
NDS Chrono Trigger
I have dead or alive dimensions sealed, super street fighter 3ds (from gamestop), persona q, Mass Effect 3 collector edition xbox 360.

not sure how much for shipping, but wouldnt mind helping out. Just let me know prices of each game. In the process of cleaning up and downsizing

I'd recommend getting the eShop version, but I have seen this numerous times at Gamestop used without the case, the price however was way to high for my taste for just the cart.
hmm I was under the impression that the eShop version is not the 3D one right

If it helps, I stumbled upon these games at some targets while looking through the current promotion. Only picked up kid icarus which was unfortunately msrp. All my local stores were $12 but just removed it from their systems.
man I may need to get a friend to help me take a look. I don't live near any Target :/

Often wondered if Gamestop did a reprint on Cave Story 3D. Looking for it last summer no store had it in 100 mile then one day 20 stores suddenly had used copies. Every one I saw in person was cart only in a red used game case.

Often wondered if Gamestop did a reprint on Cave Story 3D. Looking for it last summer no store had it in 100 mile then one day 20 stores suddenly had used copies. Every one I saw in person was cart only in a red used game case.
I read that there was a game-only reprint

Correct, but it's the same game and some would argue that the 2D version is better as well. If you aren't buying it for collection purposes I recommend the eShop download over the 3D retail release.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Cave Story 3D
Shinobi
NDS Chrono Trigger
Since you don't have Targets, do you have any Walmart, Best Buy or GameStop stores? I have seen Mario Party Island Tour at Walmart. An unopened new Chrono Trigger is impossible I think, but you can find one pre-owned at GameStop.

Since you don't have Targets, do you have any Walmart, Best Buy or GameStop stores? I have seen Mario Party Island Tour at Walmart. An unopened new Chrono Trigger is impossible I think, but you can find one pre-owned at GameStop.
Amazon remains the most convenient for me as I'm currently out of the country (not back any time soon) so the best I can is depend on friends to help but I'll try to avoid them since hunting for rare games isn't exactly the most pleasant process for a non-gamer :/

Correct, but it's the same game and some would argue that the 2D version is better as well. If you aren't buying it for collection purposes I recommend the eShop download over the 3D retail release.
hmm at this point, I'm kinda on a collection run -welp welp-

It's not the 3D version, but's it's the deluxe regular version in 3D. The 3D version is cool if you've played the original and are looking for a graphic upgraded game. For me, it was my first real playtime with the game, and something was lost in translation.

It was just really hard for me to tell where to go(what I could interact with), and what was in the foreground, and what was in the background. Now maybe having 3D on would help this situation, but when I got this game, I had the OG 3DS and it was hell keeping the sweet spot, so 3D just didn't get used much. It is very polished, and nice to look at, but it didn't seem to do the base gameplay any favors.

I later got the deluxe standard version when it was released on the eshop, and it's excellent. So if you just want to play Cave Story as it was intended, get the eshop game, but if your looking for a new and slightly different experience, try the 3D version. Both are CS, and both are good in their own way I suppose.

Just a tip for a game hunter.

Sometimes it is cheaper to find a cart only and then buy a find the case with insert and manual for cheap on places like bresoftware or ebay.

It's what I do. Cheap way to find pokemon games. Buy the cases for like $5 a pop on eBay and then find the cart cheap at pawn stores or craigslist.

Just a helpful tip that I do. I always buy cheap DS games that are non shovelware and then when I find the cases I have a complete copy to keep of flip.

[quote name="umbry" post="12587177" timestamp="1427126927"]Just a tip for a game hunter.
Sometimes it is cheaper to find a cart only and then buy a find the case with insert and manual for cheap on places like bresoftware or ebay.
It's what I do. Cheap way to find pokemon games. Buy the cases for like $5 a pop on eBay and then find the cart cheap at pawn stores or craigslist.

Just a helpful tip that I do. I always buy cheap DS games that are non shovelware and then when I find the cases I have a complete copy to keep of flip.[/quote]
I started to do that too. The problem is that for some of the more rare games, you can't find the cases. I've been looking for cases for blue dragon awakened shadow and retro game challenge for months.

I've printed out the cover insert for retro game challenge for now but haven't had any luck finding a ntsc blue dragon cover insert.

You can forget about finding cave story. Lol

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Cave Story 3D
Shinobi
NDS Chrono Trigger
Mario Party: Island Tour $24.98 shipped via eBay (more than 10 available):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-3DS-DS-GAME-MARIO-PARTY-ISLAND-TOUR-BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED8-/371270399877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item567170b785

Just a warning to those out there, this game really sucks. I mean it's BAD. So bad that my non gaming friends even noticed. And you know it's bad when casuals can sense crap in games. My advice, if you want some Mario Party on the go stick to Mario Party DS.

Island Tour doesn't even have traditional boards and the boards they've replaced them with STINK. There's some car mechanic where you guys all travel as one but in the end a winner is chosen magically.

Just a tip for a game hunter.

Just a helpful tip that I do. I always buy cheap DS games that are non shovelware and then when I find the cases I have a complete copy to keep of flip.
I'm thinking of doing this but it may take up way too much time and effort :/

I want those manuals too...

and there's a risk of bootlegs when it comes to NDS games right?

Island Tour doesn't even have traditional boards and the boards they've replaced them with STINK. There's some car mechanic where you guys all travel as one but in the end a winner is chosen magically.
I wonder who at Nintendo keeps thinking this is a good idea. My family bought MP 9 the week it came out, but we never play it. When we want to Party, we play 6,7 or 8. We even played 2 a few weeks ago, which was fun, even though the pace was quite a bit slower than the other ones I mentioned. I want to have my own strategy, and I want to play a minigame every round, which doesn't happen when everyone rides together.

bread's done
Back