Cheap Ass Guide to the DS Lite [Pictures working again]

[quote name='Zoglog']lol pansy color =)[/quote]

that color's rad. it's like a less boring white.
i don't want a dark one anymore now that i've heard about the fingerprints being easily visible.

Finally picked up a DS Lite (white). It's charging now.
I guess Citibank still hasn't figured out that I moved to Japan (or I haven't used my debit card to make enough purchases) as they called me a few hours later to see if the $146 purchase was authorized.

[quote name='CheapyD']Finally picked up a DS Lite (white). It's charging now.
I guess Citibank still hasn't figured out that I moved to Japan (or I haven't used my debit card to make enough purchases) as they called me a few hours later to see if the $146 purchase was authorized.[/QUOTE]
Awesome! Are they actually becoming possible to come by in Tokyo then?

Today was the first day I saw one available that wasn't marked up over 20,000yen. It was at a small dvd/cd/game store. They had 2 dark blues and 1 white in stock. On the way home from there, we stopped off at Tsutaya (Japan's Blockbuster) and noticed that they had the dark blue DS Lite's in stock.

So yes, I'd say they are finally becoming available in Tokyo now. Perhaps there was a big shipment this weekend.

I'm so stoked to get a lite. I just hope it comes out before May 28th, because my girlfriend wants a lite for her birthday.

I also hope they have a bundle with new SMB, because that looks to be one amazing game.

[quote name='daroga']Good to hear. Maybe they will be able to speak with some authority on when it'll be launched in the states at E3.[/QUOTE]

someone on the dvdtalk board posted that this week's 1up.com podcast had somebody mention the release date of the ds lite...they bleeped it out on the podcast then said this info was under NDA...so it seems like nintendo has announced a release date to some gamesites and they have to keep it hush until nintendo says so...the podcast also states that nintendo will announce release date and price for the ds lite on thursday may 4

Any pictures of the white one versus the enamel blue?

I was all about EB, but the more I think about it, the more I might cave when it comes here and get white...

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Any pictures of the white one versus the enamel blue?

I was all about EB, but the more I think about it, the more I might cave when it comes here and get white...[/quote]
Yeah, I was going to originally wait for the Enamel Blue, but I think I might cave as well and get the white one for the hell of it. I could always use another DS Lite later down the road anyway.

And besides, the white DS Lite will go nicely with the Wii. :)

I played with an imported blue one the other day. While it does look sharp even its owner was complaining about it being a finger print magnet.

Also no matter what color you get seeing the screen in person will blow you away.

Honestly, I care much more about the buttons, sexy design, and lighter weight than I do the brighter screen. The DS' screen is more than bright enough for me already.

...I'm sure I'll be whistlin' a different tune after I get one, though. :)

Is the volume of the Lite supposed to be a bit lower than the original DS? The simulated surround sound seems better, but when comparing the two systems it seemed softer.

I love my new DS Lite. Often I will just take it and rub it for hours and hours. It's so smooth and shiny. I imagine this is what a robot's skin would feel like, if robots had skin. It is SO SEXY. I can stare at it and rub it for hours.

Is this normal? Do they have rehab for this? :lol:

I was hesitant initially about getting a DSL, but now that I have one...I don't even know how I EVER used the original. I didn't think the original was ugly until I got the DSL in my hands. HOLY SHIT. They improved the look by a factor of 1,000,000! And the screen...and the buttons and control pad are practically perfect...

Only trouble I'm having is trying to settle with running it at 3/4 brightness, so I can get optimal battery life.

And I've actually already had 3 people ask to just hold it...people who NEVER play video games. And for the first time, my sister, who plays no video games...except plays We

[quote name='Blind the Thief']The DS' screen is more than bright enough for me already.

...I'm sure I'll be whistlin' a different tune after I get one, though. :)[/QUOTE]

and you did!!! go DS Lite.

[quote name='The Dord']
Forgive me if these were posted before.

3-Part Review (from Youtube!) by Cabel

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
[/QUOTE]

in Part 3 of your review you mentioned you can transfer Wi-Fi settings from the old DS to the new one.

how do I do that? do I have to go into each game that is Wi-Fi compatible and use the menus there?

[quote name='asianxcore']in Part 3 of your review you mentioned you can transfer Wi-Fi settings from the old DS to the new one.

how do I do that? do I have to go into each game that is Wi-Fi compatible and use the menus there?[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I didn't review it. I fould the reviews on Youtube.

I do not know the answer to that question. I am sorry.

[quote name='asianxcore']in Part 3 of your review you mentioned you can transfer Wi-Fi settings from the old DS to the new one.

how do I do that? do I have to go into each game that is Wi-Fi compatible and use the menus there?[/QUOTE]
In the old DS boot up a WiFi game and go into the Wifi options. Select to transer the settings. You'll boot up the DS Lite like you were going to play a multiplayer game when you don't have the cart, it'll transfer the setting over, and as far as the Wifi games are concerned, your new DS is your old DS. Same friend codes, same everything. This does remove your setting from your old DS though.

This is going to seem like a big DS noob question, but well I kinda am a DS noob seeing as how I just bought a DS Lite. Anyhow, if I start up the system then put a game in the system never recognizes the game in the start up screen. I have to shut the system off then power on again to get it to recognize that a game has been inserted. Same with GBA games.

Is this thing normal for the DS or DS Lite? As a cartridge based system it seems par for the course but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't somehow defective.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']This is going to seem like a big DS noob question, but well I kinda am a DS noob seeing as how I just bought a DS Lite. Anyhow, if I start up the system then put a game in the system never recognizes the game in the start up screen. I have to shut the system off then power on again to get it to recognize that a game has been inserted. Same with GBA games.

Is this thing normal for the DS or DS Lite? As a cartridge based system it seems par for the course but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't somehow defective.[/quote]

Yes, that is normal. You want to power off the DS, then insert a game.

[quote name='The Dord']Video Links[/QUOTE]

That third video was hilarious. The cheesy 80's "Night On The Town" music with all the different things the DS was doing was sheer awesome.

I can't believe there are some people here who haven't seen Cabel's reviews. It's half the reason I bought the system.

I'm a PC gamer by nature, and haven't played anything "console-y" since my old Telstar and Intellivision (I owned both) and the Atari 2600 (which all my friends owned). In fact, the only portable systems I can remember owning are Blip (which wasn't even really an electronic game) and UFO Master Blaster (man I wish I still had it).

My girlfriend ended up buying a GBA SP a couple of years ago so she'd have something similar to do during my marathon Doom 3 sessions. While it was cool (and I always thought the original Game Boy was just unbelievable, considering how elec. games used to look before it), I never played it much myself.

A number of months ago she started lamenting how she wanted to play DS games, and considered buying one. Since I'm a gamer news junkie, I knew from my news gathering that Nintendo had a new DS system on the horizon. I told her she should probably wait, since it sounded like it was going to be much better than the regular DS.

The first review I saw was on Shacknews, who had imported a navy blue Lite. Looked great, but what sold me were a couple of links to Cabel's reviews in the accompanying comments. I told her, "Preorder this thing - it's going to be just what you want."

From that point on, I started researching down the Lite like crazy, and was impressed. Free Internet gaming, when Microsoft forced you to pay? Downloading of demos? Homebrew games? Someone got Quake and Wolf3d to run on it? Soemone got Linux to run on it? I was sold, and placed my own preorder.

Am 100% satisfied. It's just the thing to pull out for a quick dose of entertainment if you're sick of Minesweeper and Solitaire. Nintendo has never been on the cutting edge of technology, but they do make fun games, and I applaud them for the whole touch screen thing (which I originally decried as a gimmick that no one would put to good use) as a means of control. I never thought I could adequately play an FPS game without a keyboard and mouse, but here I am with Metroid, using the touch screen like a mouse to "mouselook". There's also cool turn based strategy games (like Advance Wars), the return of the adventure game genre (bringing back the days of King's Quest, Police Quest, Grim Fandango, Sam & Max, and Maniac Mansion), plus the whole anime genre (100% absent on the PC).

Way to go Nintendo - you have a new fan.

-HM

I didn't know where to post this so here goes:
Is there a difference between the DS lite's top and bottom screens? On my system it appears that the bottom one is dimmer. Is this normal?

I believe they should be the same brightness, maybe you're looking at a bad angle? My bottom one is the very slightest bit dimmer because I have a screen protector on the bottom one and for some reason I don't have one on the top. But yeah, they should be very much the same brightness.

Nintendo has this to say about my problem:

"Lower screen looks different than the upper screen
Due to the touch screen feature of the lower screen, an additional layer of touch-sensitive material is added. The top screen is not touch-sensitive, and can appear slightly brighter than the lower screen because it does not have this additional layer. Here are two things you can do to try and help increase the amount of light you see from the lower screen:

* Adjust the screen brightness of the Nintendo DS Lite. Click here for information on how to do this.
* Try holding the Nintendo DS so that the lower screen is not at an angle, and you are able to look directly at it.
* If you are playing Game Boy Advance games on the Nintendo DS, and are having difficulty seeing the game clearly on the bottom screen, you may want to change the system setting to play the Game Boy Advance game on the upper screen. Click here for more information.
* If you are using a screen protector, make sure that it is licensed by Nintendo. Unlicensed screen protectors may affect the visibility of the screen you are using it on. For more information on screen protectors, please click here."

Maybe i'm nitpicking?

Does anyone know if there will be a price drop once the black DS Lite comes out?(or maybe around XMAS time). I really wanna get a DSL but I have a feeling right when I buy one, a price drop will happen.

[quote name='Blackout542']Does anyone know if there will be a price drop once the black DS Lite comes out?(or maybe around XMAS time). I really wanna get a DSL but I have a feeling right when I buy one, a price drop will happen.[/QUOTE]
I doubt we'll see one any tiem soon. They're selling really well as is/ Just get it, it's more than worth $130 for a system with so many amazing games.

Ive got a question, I had a normal ds with MPH stats on wifi. I sold the old ds for a dslite without transfering. I connected to wifi with MPH on my lite and it told me blah blah diffrent friend code...so Im like ok, same with mariokart. But what happens when whoever buys my used ds thats sitting at gamestop?

And is MPH the only wifi game that you can keep track of your stats?

Does any body know how to upload a picture on the ds lite. So i can have it for a background image. If so can you guide me to the link. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong thread. Thanks

I just got a DS Lite today and noticed something strange:
When I turn it on (or off), the power slider sticks in the middle (rather than coming back toward the front, which seems like the proper behavior). This means that when I go to turn it off (or back on), I have to slide the power thing back toward the front of the system and then push it back.

I'm guessing this is a not the way it is supposed to be...is this the situation for anyone else?

[quote name='Hollow Man']The power switch is supposed to slide all the way back to its original position once you turn it on or off.

-HM[/quote]
Thanks for the help!

Guess I will have to exchange it...hopefully the next one won't have any dead pixels either...

Got a few questions, I'm serisouly thinking of getting a normal ds. Is the volume slide supposed to click in and out? If I press it it goes it and comes out kinda, like theres space behind it.

Also, will Nintendo be planning to release a 3rd ds? One that combines both good sides of them?

- 4 levels of brightness
- 8 directions on the dpad
- Small size
- Bigger start/select buttons

You get where I'm going.

I just got a ds lite and noticed a fair amount of ghosting on both screens. It was especially noticeable when playing new super mario bros. When I was moving fast over a light background, it sort of annoyed the eyes to watch the screen. I then got a replacement from nintendo, and it had the exact same problem! Does anybody else have this problem, or does it occur on all ds lites and I'm just too picky?

bread's done
Back