Cheap energy drinks, do they exist?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
So umm yeah, any CAGs know of any stores with cheap Red Bull, Rockstar, and Bawls? Hell, pretty much any energy drink, as long as it is decent/drinkable (meaning no Joker and a few other energy drinks I've tried which elude me at the moment). Are there coupons, online retailers, brands only found in certain areas but that can be bought online, etc.?

bah. those energy drink sucks. get bodybuilder energy supplements

try n.o. explode. about 40$ for 50 servings, it tastes good, and damn it gives you a ton of focus and energy. now... of course i use it before i hit the gym... but on my off days, i also take it and it really helps me focus

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']So umm yeah, any CAGs know of any stores with cheap Red Bull, Rockstar, and Bawls? Hell, pretty much any energy drink, as long as it is decent/drinkable (meaning no Joker and a few other energy drinks I've tried which elude me at the moment). Are there coupons, online retailers, brands only found in certain areas but that can be bought online, etc.?[/quote]

Albertsons store brand is very good and they have a few flavors. .79 for a small and $1 for a large. They have a cheetah on the front. Worth the extra $2+ you save.

[quote name='the_grimace']bah. those energy drink sucks. get bodybuilder energy supplements

try n.o. explode. about 40$ for 50 servings, it tastes good, and damn it gives you a ton of focus and energy. now... of course i use it before i hit the gym... but on my off days, i also take it and it really helps me focus[/quote]

I use superpump 250. If you workout, TAKE THIS. It tastes nasty, but I can go much longer and stronger at the gym. Plus you get CRAZY vein pumps from it.

[quote name='Layziebones']Albertsons store brand is very good and they have a few flavors. .79 for a small and $1 for a large. They have a cheetah on the front. Worth the extra $2+ you save.[/quote]

Yeah, the Cheetah brand energy drink from Albertsons isn't bad, but too bad I don't have any Albertsons by me.

[quote name='ig88vsbobafett']Try Big lots they have like 5 to 10 at any time for like $0.60 to $1 each[/quote]

Too random and a lack of consistency. I went to Big Lots this past week, but they had a crappy energy drink that I've tried before (can't remember it's name), and so I didn't get anything.

[quote name='Layziebones']I use superpump 250. If you workout, TAKE THIS. It tastes nasty, but I can go much longer and stronger at the gym. Plus you get CRAZY vein pumps from it.[/QUOTE]

tried it. i love pre workout energy supplements. one of the only supplements i really feel actually helps with progress... only downside is i honestly hate training without them, and you should cycle them because of the caffiene

but yea, superpump is good too, but i find n.o explode better tasting and its cheaper. I did find superpump didnt wear off for me over time though. usually the effects of n.o. explode wear off for me in about 6-8 weeks, so i usually only take it 2 months at a time. but superpump kept working for me for 3 months.

but yea, both are great products. ive tried about 8 other pre workout supplements, but none came close to no explode or superpump.

so good choice my friend

I'm gonna go with a third option of: Stop putting that crap in your system.

And before anyone blasts me with a "no one asked if it was good or not" type of response, understand that I'm REALLY trying to help you out here.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...-amp-heart-rate----and-pose-these-other-r.htm

Sure, some are more dangerous than others. Spike Shooter sent a few kids to the hospital, but among other things, they're just really bad for you.

Especially as a gamer, you're already prone to insomnia issues but coming from personal experience, I lost about 3 days of sleep in a row because I experienced LIGHT stress while I was on energy drinks. I couldn't sleep for three days. That's a LONG time to go without sleep.

Sorry to slightly thread jack, but seriously reconsider it. The fact that you're actually wanting to buy these in bundle for a discount leads me to believe you want to have them stockpiled for daily drinking. You're NOT supposed to drink these things like soda, man. You're not even supposed to drink SODA the way people drink soda.

[quote name='NamelessMC']I'm gonna go with a third option of: Stop putting that crap in your system.

And before anyone blasts me with a "no one asked if it was good or not" type of response, understand that I'm REALLY trying to help you out here.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...-amp-heart-rate----and-pose-these-other-r.htm

Sure, some are more dangerous than others. Spike Shooter sent a few kids to the hospital, but among other things, they're just really bad for you.

Especially as a gamer, you're already prone to insomnia issues but coming from personal experience, I lost about 3 days of sleep in a row because I experienced LIGHT stress while I was on energy drinks. I couldn't sleep for three days. That's a LONG time to go without sleep.

Sorry to slightly thread jack, but seriously reconsider it. The fact that you're actually wanting to buy these in bundle for a discount leads me to believe you want to have them stockpiled for daily drinking. You're NOT supposed to drink these things like soda, man. You're not even supposed to drink SODA the way people drink soda.[/quote]

Uggh...thank you for raining on my parade. I don't drink (the occasionally wine doesn't count) and I don't smoke or do any other garbage. The one thing I do and someone has to crap on it. Why don't you crap on people that drink coffee.

[quote name='Layziebones']I use superpump 250. If you workout, TAKE THIS. It tastes nasty, but I can go much longer and stronger at the gym. Plus you get CRAZY vein pumps from it.[/QUOTE]

I mix Carb Matrix with my PWO shake, which is a Gold Standard 100% whey scoop with some other stuff : Peanut butter, egg white and milk. It energizes me for the day, but I don't like to take supplements before my work out other than my vitamins after breakfast.

Squats can energize you through out the day if you do them before any work out. The adrenaline the pump into your system is long lasting.

Those and dead lifts, but you really wanna save deadlifts for one day a week to maximize gains.

If you work out, it's an even bigger reason to stay away from energy drinks. The way they elevate your heart rate. One guy who drank Spike Shooters at my gym actually had a seizure because his heart rate went up after releasing from a lift and it was already accelerated from the energy drink.

Energy drinks are good before running a marathon though, but that's really a "performance" enhancement, and not a daily routine.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Uggh...thank you for raining on my parade. I don't drink (the occasionally wine doesn't count) and I don't smoke or do any other garbage. The one thing I do and someone has to crap on it. Why don't you crap on people that drink coffee.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I wasn't trying to "rain on your parade". Someone trying to give you health advice shouldn't be viewed as an enemy, why the hostility?

You get angry if someone tries to stop you from getting hit by a bus?

I'm an athlete, so yes I'm a little more worried about things like that than most people, but if you want the honest truth:

One cup of coffee with sweetener instead of sugar is actually more healthy for you than NOT drinking a cup of coffee or tea at all and way more healthier for you than soda or "energy drinks". It has anti oxidants, among other things.

I actually DRINK one cup of coffee a day with either splenda or equate instead of sugar and 2% milk or soy milk instead of full milk.

Someone already made a healthy recommendation for getting energy in your system. You can try Carb Matrix, the supplement I take, or Super 250 which someone else recommended. They have no flavor, so they don't make a drink taste different, and they give you a much healthier boost to your energy levels.

Instead of getting mad, try actually reading what people write.

here in texas we have Red Jak. It's made by the big red company(which i think coca-cola owns). anyways Big Red is a huge thing here. It's .99 cents for a 16 oz. great stuff.

i usually buy the 4 pack of monster at target for $5.98.

[quote name='NamelessMC']Like I said, I wasn't trying to "rain on your parade". Someone trying to give you health advice shouldn't be viewed as an enemy, why the hostility?

You get angry if someone tries to stop you from getting hit by a bus?

I'm an athlete, so yes I'm a little more worried about things like that than most people, but if you want the honest truth:

One cup of coffee with sweetener instead of sugar is actually more healthy for you than NOT drinking a cup of coffee or tea at all and way more healthier for you than soda or "energy drinks". It has anti oxidants, among other things.

I actually DRINK one cup of coffee a day with either splenda or equate instead of sugar and 2% milk or soy milk instead of full milk.

Instead of getting mad, try actually reading what people write.[/quote]

I'm not being hostile, but if I wanted health advice in a thread asking for a deal, then I'd go see my doctor. Also, this above statement is ridiculous. You know those artificial sweetners are carcinogens (ergo cancerous)? How in hell is putting stuff that's been proven poisonous into your body good for you? Also, not I never mentioned tea. Tea is another thing in of itself, but is in fact healthy (minus those nasty artificial sweetners).

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yeah, the Cheetah brand energy drink from Albertsons isn't bad, but too bad I don't have any Albertsons by me.[/quote]

If you have a Jewel (one of the biggest grocery stores in my area), they sell the same "Cheetah" brand....Albertsons and Jewel are from the same parent company

[quote name='ZerotypeX']If you have a Jewel (one of the biggest grocery stores in my area), they sell the same "Cheetah" brand....Albertsons and Jewel are from the same parent company[/quote]

Jewel often has nice prices on Amp, too. Target has the 4-pack for $5.99, which isn't too bad. I love Amp, but damn do I crash after about 3 hours.

Lol the only time I drink an energy drink is in a Jager bomb nowadays cause I drank way too many back in the day.

But uhm, my local dollar store has Wired energy drinks for a dollar each. They taste pretty good too, hence why I used to drink so many of them. Not sure if you have a dollar store or something in your area.

[quote name='shieryda']Jewel often has nice prices on Amp, too. Target has the 4-pack for $5.99, which isn't too bad. I love Amp, but damn do I crash after about 3 hours.[/quote]

Amp is good stuff, right now I believe it is 3 for $5 with a preferred card. That's like a $1.67 each. Have you tried the different flavors shieryda? I like them all, but most least favorite must be the orange flavor.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Amp is good stuff, right now I believe it is 3 for $5 with a preferred card. That's like a $1.67 each. Have you tried the different flavors shieryda? I like them all, but most least favorite must be the orange flavor.[/quote]

Blue (berry) and red (cherry) are my favs. The grape gave me the shits when I tried it, but it may have been something I ate that day. I haven't tried the orange yet. I usually stock up when they're 2 for $3.

I haven't mixed Amp with vodka yet, so I can't comment on the taste.

but yea, stay away from those "market" energy drinks. they are mostly sugar....

get exercise supplements. a lot easier, better, and cheaper

[quote name='the_grimace']but yea, stay away from those "market" energy drinks. they are mostly sugar....

get exercise supplements. a lot easier, better, and cheaper[/quote]

I may have to substitute the drinks for something new. I love the taste and the slight boost they give me (I don't get wired crazy like some do), but the crash is the worst. I feel worse than I did before I drink them.

[quote name='shieryda']I may have to substitute the drinks for something new. I love the taste and the slight boost they give me (I don't get wired crazy like some do), but the crash is the worst. I feel worse than I did before I drink them.[/QUOTE]

very few preworkout exercise supplements give you a crash. (as long as you dont overdose on it :p ) ive been taking these kind of supplements for years, and have tried about 9 different brands. Its the only type of supplement i tried that i really felt gave noticeable results. now granted, i mainly use them before i hit the gym to workout... BUT, i also drink a serving on my off days and damn, it pumps me up and keeps me focused. What i like about these exercise supllments most is the focus. while they give you a little more physical energy, where they really excel is in giving you focus. I can concentrate, think, and perform so much better in anything i do, just because i have such a high focus from it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I'm not being hostile, but if I wanted health advice in a thread asking for a deal, then I'd go see my doctor. Also, this above statement is ridiculous. You know those artificial sweetners are carcinogens (ergo cancerous)? How in hell is putting stuff that's been proven poisonous into your body good for you? Also, not I never mentioned tea. Tea is another thing in of itself, but is in fact healthy (minus those nasty artificial sweetners).[/QUOTE]

I don't know what artificial sweetener you are thinking of, but none on the market have actually proven to cause cancer or are correlated with an increase in cancers. At one time, Saccharin carried a warning about causing cancers in lab rats, but those results have been generally accepted to be inapplicable to humans. He mentioned Splenda (and Equate, but I don't know what that is), which is basically just dextrose and sucralose. Neither of these have been shown to cause cancer.

That's not to say that artificial sweeteners don't cause cancer, but right now there is absolutely no proof that any of the sweeteners on the market cause cancer. And if you compare the known health effects directly to processed sugars, there are good reasons for using sweeteners instead of sugar.

[quote name='ig88vsbobafett']Try Big lots they have like 5 to 10 at any time for like $0.60 to $1 each[/quote]

I would stick with BigLots - wait until you find one that has want you want and buy a few cases.

[quote name='_heretic']I don't know what artificial sweetener you are thinking of, but none on the market have actually proven to cause cancer or are correlated with an increase in cancers. At one time, Saccharin carried a warning about causing cancers in lab rats, but those results have been generally accepted to be inapplicable to humans. He mentioned Splenda (and Equate, but I don't know what that is), which is basically just dextrose and sucralose. Neither of these have been shown to cause cancer.

That's not to say that artificial sweeteners don't cause cancer, but right now there is absolutely no proof that any of the sweeteners on the market cause cancer. And if you compare the known health effects directly to processed sugars, there are good reasons for using sweeteners instead of sugar.[/QUOTE]

its just sugar alcohol. pure extract of sugar fermented. theres nothing really artificial about it other then its gathered through a man made process. guess you can argue its man made since it can only be gathered manually and doesnt occur naturally, but the stuff itself is natural if that makes sense.

the only side effects of sugar alcohols is that they have been known to cause stomach cramping, dirrehea, constipation, stomach acid, etc but nothing yet as serious as colon or stomach cancer.

that being said, they are fairly safe.... but like all things, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. If i went out and ate like 20 bananas, i would get extremely dehydrated and not be able to shit for like a week :p (potassium and other diuretics)

I think Rip It is pretty decent, can be had for a buck. Wouldn't recommend the regular but the citrus? (orange colored can) and the pomegranate are good. They also have something new in bottles, that I haven't really tried much of yet.

you can find them at Family Dollars, Dollar Tree, Meijer (if you have one) and various party stores. they should be 99 cents

[quote name='ZerotypeX']If you have a Jewel (one of the biggest grocery stores in my area), they sell the same "Cheetah" brand....Albertsons and Jewel are from the same parent company[/quote]

Yeah, no Jewel either. I don't think any stores under the Albertson's crop are here actually.

Anyone knwo if Dollar General carries energy drinks, or if it would be worthwhile to try them out? There's one by me, but it's in a not so good part of town.

Make your own with a B-complex vitamin, caffeine pill and some juice. I used to buy SF Red Bulls @ Costco (I think it was around $1.30 a mini can).

I found some energy drinks at BJ's Club, (which is like a Sam's or Costco). All of those should have a bulk pack of drinks, which averages out to about $1 per can. I think it was Rockstar that was at that price. It was like 18 cans or something.
However, I would also strongly recommend against using these energy drinks. If you need to stay awake, drink coffee. If you need something for your workout take a protein shake. I use the EAS Whey protein shakes.

Edit: This is funny. I just went over to Digg, and this article on energy drinks was on the front page...
http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/beverages/260

Howling Monkey is a cheap energy drink. The best of that lot is their "elixir" brand, the cola and the sugar free tend to leave much to be desired but elixier is hands down the best. At only $0.99 can't really be beat.

here in wisconsin we have ienergy. Might be able to order online, obviously it's cheaper by the case, that's how I buy it. It tastes exactly like redbull. I wanna say the oz. is around 32 and it's $2 or $1 for the smaller size (20 oz.?)

Also rip-it's are good for a $1. This is what I tend to pickup to mix with my jager,

You could always drink Pepsi max. It has zero calories and way more caffeine then regular pepsi. It has ginseng but lacks the vitamins that alot of the other energy drinks have.

That's what we drink at work when we are too busy to make coffee. A 12 pack of it is like 3 bucks if you look around.

I've never drank an "energy" drink but a lady at work buys them 2 for 99 cents at the 99 cents only store. Not sure what brand they are but she always seems to be "wired". Just saying.

This fellow at work buys these 12oz bottles of some kind of orange energy drink at the Everything is a Dollar store.

Might check it out, if you have any of those kinds of stores in your area.

I'm going to jump on the Big Lots bandwagon, but it also is a crapshoot. Sometimes the stuff they have is off-brand, and it could be great or awful. The stock changes pretty frequently.

However, I go through the drinks at a pretty heavy clip (I'm in med school), I usually buy them in bulk from Sam's Club. I get the Monster Lo-Carb, and it works out to be about $1.20 a can I think. Not an amazing deal, but better than paying full price.

I know they also have Red Bull and Rockstar there, but they are a touch more expensive. I'd imagine if you went to a Costco they would have it as well.

Another option is waiting for B1G1 at a local grocery store and then stock up. About once every 1-2 months my local Meijer runs B1G1 on all Amps.

Lastly... if you just want the caffeine, buy yourself a coffee/espresso machine. You can usually land a decent one for ~20 bucks. If you are a prude about freshness of coffee, a grinder is also key. A little more of an initial investment, but per cup coffee is going to be much cheaper than an energy drink. That is, if you like coffee.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']So umm yeah, any CAGs know of any stores with cheap Red Bull, Rockstar, and Bawls? Hell, pretty much any energy drink, as long as it is decent/drinkable (meaning no Joker and a few other energy drinks I've tried which elude me at the moment). Are there coupons, online retailers, brands only found in certain areas but that can be bought online, etc.?[/QUOTE]

What is wrong with Joker. I have bought it and didn't think it was all that bad. I only go after the sugar free/low carb ones now, most of the time that is Monster. However Quick Trip does have some good ones that are cheap. The thing is now I try to stay away from them but if I do drink one it is before work and is the only caffeine I have all day.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Uggh...thank you for raining on my parade. I don't drink (the occasionally wine doesn't count) and I don't smoke or do any other garbage. The one thing I do and someone has to crap on it. Why don't you crap on people that drink coffee.[/QUOTE]

What is wrong with coffee? I drink maybe one cup a day if that. Some times I dont drink any at all. I use the no sugar creamer in it only.

[quote name='_heretic']I don't know what artificial sweetener you are thinking of, but none on the market have actually proven to cause cancer or are correlated with an increase in cancers. At one time, Saccharin carried a warning about causing cancers in lab rats, but those results have been generally accepted to be inapplicable to humans. He mentioned Splenda (and Equate, but I don't know what that is), which is basically just dextrose and sucralose. Neither of these have been shown to cause cancer.

That's not to say that artificial sweeteners don't cause cancer, but right now there is absolutely no proof that any of the sweeteners on the market cause cancer. And if you compare the known health effects directly to processed sugars, there are good reasons for using sweeteners instead of sugar.[/QUOTE]

The cancer that they found was also after more then a human should have in a life time.

Also for everyone saying Big Lots I would stay a way unless you check the dates. Big Lots is a place that companies send non-preforming products to. So in other words crap that no other place will take. The place I work for is looking into sending stuff to them that we have had sitting around for chances are almost 3 years. So look at the dates.

I also suggest you avoid energy drinks if you can or atleast drink just one a day and try to go some weeks with out it.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']They're only four ounce shots, so keep that in mind.[/QUOTE]

The shots are basically without water and carbination. So think of this as the Coca-cola syrup they ship.

$30 is still a good deal, getting it for like 1/5th of the price.

but I think all of them taste gross, generally speaking.

bread's done
Back