Cheapo Wiimote batteries -- rechargeable AA's 4 for $5 at MicroCenter

destro713

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The MicroCenter by me is selling UltraLast 2000mAh rechargeable AA's in 4-packs for $5. I already have an Ni-MH charger (as should all CAGs) so basically this is $10 for dedicated batteries for 4 Wiimotes. Pretty sweet deal compared to $40-60 that you'd have to pay for four charging stations, and these have higher capacity and can be used with things other than the Wii.

I have a question about rechargeable batteries. Can a particular AA charger handle rechareable AA batteries of different mAh or do you have to get a specific charger whatever capacity AA batteries you're using?

Most chargers can detect a full charge and shut off automatically, so you can usually use any capacity with any charger. But if you have a slow-ass charger and you're using really high capacity batteries, like 2800 or something, it could take a loooong time.

I guess it's possible that there are some really old, really cheap chargers that base the auto shutoff on time rather than charge status, which means you could theoretically overcharge (and blow up?) a battery that has much lower capacity than what it's designed for. But I don't think any modern chargers work this way. I have a high-speed Sony travel charger that came with some 2500mAh batteries, and I have used it to charge 1600 and 2000mAh batteries without problems.

After a bit of researching what batteries to use I found these comments referring to the charger you posted:

"The Ni-MH batteries lose charges by about 1% per day. It is best suited for high discharge application such as digital cameras, which you would use up a lot of power in a relatively short time. For longstanding and low current application, I would still use alkaline batteries."

"It would not be a problem if NiMH batteries are discharging at only 1% per day. But the existing generation of 2500-2700mAh NiMH batteries are all plagued by the problem of rapid self-discharge. Some of them will lose all the charge in just one or two weeks. That is more like 10% per day!

You should still keep this Sony charger (because it is a very good charger for $20), and use those Sony 2500mAh batteries only for high-current, short run-time applications. As for low-current, long run-time applications, you should buy the lastest low-self-discharge cells, including Sanyo eneloop, Rayovac Hybrid, and Kodak Pre-charged. You may find those in you local W*mart."

So it sounds like if you're not using the Wii all the time you're going to have to recharge regularly because they lose their charge pretty quickly. Are all rechargeable batteries like this or is there a better alternative?

i heard the eneloop recharagable batteries are awesome because they can keep almost the entire charge for a year instead of losing 1% each day or whatever. you can find them at circuit city and probably at some other stores. they also come fully charged out of the box, no recharge needed for the first use

I'm just thinking whether it's worth it to go the rechargeable route. You can get a 36 pack of AA Duracells for about $8, I think. That's about a quarter a battery (I'm rounding up because it may be more than $8). I could get the Sony charger with 4 batteries plus another 4 batteries for $30.08, which if I count the charger with the cost of the batteries, then that's about $3.75 a battery. This means to get my money's worth I'd have to go through 15 sets of batteries. 17 if I go with the Eneloops. And then there's the problem with the discharge rate. It just doesn't seem worth it.

If you don't mind filling land fills with batteries, you can go any way you want. :p

That sony charger is worthless. If you're serious about rechargables, get either the Maha or the LaCrosse BC-900 (I have the latter). If you're just getting started, buy the $20 RayoVaC 4AA + charger package at Target. No need to spend tons of money on rechargables when you're just using them for controllers.

For me, I've had some very inexpensive AA rechargables that are still usable for 2+ weeks use in my 360/wii controllers after 2 years of use.

[quote name='BizzaroSephiroth']I'm just thinking whether it's worth it to go the rechargeable route. You can get a 36 pack of AA Duracells for about $8, I think. That's about a quarter a battery (I'm rounding up because it may be more than $8). I could get the Sony charger with 4 batteries plus another 4 batteries for $30.08, which if I count the charger with the cost of the batteries, then that's about $3.75 a battery. This means to get my money's worth I'd have to go through 15 sets of batteries. 17 if I go with the Eneloops. And then there's the problem with the discharge rate. It just doesn't seem worth it.[/quote]

Um... I'm not really clear on how you deem the Sony charger "worthless" when you recommend the $20 Rayovac package which is essentially the same product with different branding at the same price. They may even be from the same Chinese assembly line, as I'm sure many of these lower-end models are.

Of course there are chargers in the $40-100 range that are nicer. Sort of weird to mention that in a thread about dirt-ass cheap off brand rechargeables, though.

Well buy.com has 4 Eneloop batteries, but they're not in stock. Hopefully when they do get in stock they'll be eligible for the Google Checkout $10 off deal, so I'll only have to pay the shipping of $6.48. I'll get two of those, bringing the total to $12.96, which is better than Amazon's 8 for $19.99 + shipping. Then I will have to decide on a charger, probably the bc-900. I'll have to look around for the best deal on that.

Do Eneloop batteries need an Eneloop charger or will they work with a regular battery recharger?

EDIT: And if they require an Eneloop charger-- will the Eneloop charger charge NiMH batteries?

Eek.

You're right, my message was not clear and may have been interpretted as adversarial, which was not my intent. The Sony charger is about $10 too much, likely because of the Sony branding. I completely agree that there are lots of other inexpensive chargers and batteries around that work wonders.

I mentioned the more expensive charger as people had started the eneloop conversation. In my opinion, avid/active gamers are unlikely to need the long storage (and extra cost) of the eneloops for controller batteries. To me, if you're going to shell out some extra cash on rechargables to feed your gaming habit, go for a better charger (the LaCrosse includes 4 AA, 4 AAA, C-sleeves and D-sleeves with the charger and should cost around $40ish on amazon every other week)

[quote name='destro713']Um... I'm not really clear on how you deem the Sony charger "worthless" when you recommend the $20 Rayovac package which is essentially the same product with different branding at the same price. They may even be from the same Chinese assembly line, as I'm sure many of these lower-end models are.

Of course there are chargers in the $40-100 range that are nicer. Sort of weird to mention that in a thread about dirt-ass cheap off brand rechargeables, though.[/quote]

I love the new Rayovac Hybrid NiMH batteries. Their whole deal is that they hold their charge closer to Alkaline standards. I keep them in my Wiimotes, and they don't drop in charge at all for months on end. Picked up four at Wallyworld for about $9. I just use them in my ole' NiMH charger I've had for years.

http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/index.shtml

[quote name='emperordahc']I love the new Rayovac Hybrid NiMH batteries. Their whole deal is that they hold their charge closer to Alkaline standards. I keep them in my Wiimotes, and they don't drop in charge at all for months on end. Picked up four at Wallyworld for about $9. I just use them in my ole' NiMH charger I've had for years.

http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/index.shtml[/quote]

Oh yeah, those are the ones that are comparable to the Eneloop batteries. I wonder which ones are better?

Those Rayovac hybrids sound pretty worthwhile. It's hard to remember, but I have to think about this like a true cheapass. Despite a higher intial cost, if they really do hold their charge longer and last longer, ultimately they will be a better deal than inexpesive but short-life span batteries that will have to be replaced.
Has anyone else tried the Rayovac hybrids?

[quote name='mephitical']Those Rayovac hybrids sound pretty worthwhile. It's hard to remember, but I have to think about this like a true cheapass. Despite a higher intial cost, if they really do hold their charge longer and last longer, ultimately they will be a better deal than inexpesive but short-life span batteries that will have to be replaced.
Has anyone else tried the Rayovac hybrids?[/quote]

I use the hybrids in all my Wii-motes, and they hold their charge well, even after sitting around for months at a time.

There was a previous CAG deal on these during Jan-Mar of this year. It was $5 AC/AR for 6 AA, 2 AAA and a charger.

[quote name='SoobAeroDude']
There was a previous CAG deal on these during Jan-Mar of this year. It was $5 AC/AR for 6 AA, 2 AAA and a charger.[/quote]
Wow. I'll have to keep watch for another deal like that. Metroid is draining my batteries like crazy.

[quote name='radjago']Walmart has a set of 4 Kodak pre-charged AAs for $7.88 a charger too for $4 more.[/quote]

For the record, those pre-charged Kodaks are not the same as Eneloops (which generally come pre-charged). Rather than retread over all the ground in the previous discussions on other forums, I'd recommend searching for the La Crosse thread over on F*tWallet. There's a lot there but some of it is very useful.

Anyone who is throwing their batteries in the trash when they go dead might as well not call them a cheapassgamer anymore because thats money down the drain.

Spend 20 bucks up front on a charger and some double A's and your Wii mote and 360 controller won't suck your money out of your wallet anymore. A great investment whether they are on sale or not.

I've been using the same Ni-mh batteries for 2 1/2 years now, I use them on my camera (EOS Elan 7e), flashes, remotes, wiimotes, xbox, and 360 (until I got the charge n play kit). The one thing I will suggest with your charger is that you want one that recharges and monitors each cell separately, usually they have an LED for each cell. The one I have charges them in pairs (2 or 4), so I have to keep them in sets so to speak.

bread's done
Back