CheapyD's Ramen Thread

[quote name='IOnceWasLegend']Ippuuden, right? I lived for a year in Okayama, and they had one right near the train station...passed by it hundreds of times, but only ate there for the first time two and a half months before leaving.

My taste buds wept in sheer joy at how good that ramen is.[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure, but the soup had these black spots in it. Sound like the same place?

Damn now I want ramen. Good thing I have some at home. Maybe tomarrow will be a ramen day.

BTW South Florida sucks for Japanese cuisine. Infact the best place to eat it is at my home.

[quote name='darthbudge']Does anybody know of a good cheap place on the internet to buy authentic instant ramen from?[/QUOTE]

I get mine from a Japanese Market. If you live in or near a major city theres got to be a few around. As for a internet site, sorry, I don't know.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I get mine from a Japanese Market. If you live in or near a major city theres got to be a few around. As for a internet site, sorry, I don't know.[/quote]

Yeah I know where my nearest Asian Market is, but it is kinda far away that is why I wanted to look online.

If there's a large asian population in your city, there's bound to be a ramen shop around. I can't wait to get some where I go back to the Bay Area.

Exu's Ramen Adventure:
pot20noodle2020beef2020jr8.jpg

Actually, I loved those for years until they said they'd cut out 50% salt.
I'm all for companies making their products healthier, but this move had the unfortunate side-effect of completely ruining the taste.

[quote name='Exu']Exu's Ramen Adventure:
Actually, I loved those for years until they said they'd cut out 50% salt.
I'm all for companies making their products healthier, but this move had the unfortunate side-effect of completely ruining the taste.[/quote]

Why is it that the dried ramen is basically a salt lick with noodles? I have to throw away half the packet and put all kinds of other things in there so my heart doesn't explode. Sesame oil, mixed stirfry veggies, and hot sauce usually do the trick.

[quote name='zewone']zewone's ramen adventure :cry: :
ME-MARU-001.gif
[/quote]

adventure.. lol.. nice.

you can church those up (in a pan) with some veggies... shrimp, tofu, spices etc...

[quote name='Rodimus']Had this on my last trip to Tokyo. Ramen doesn't get much better than this:

Ramen.jpg
[/quote]

what type of soup is htat?

If you're in Hawaii, go to Ichi-Ryu on the corner of Pensacola and King. Their Mabo Ramen is awesome.

Jimbo's further down King Street is also damn good.

[quote name='billyrox']what type of soup is htat?[/quote]

It's called tonkotsu which is a pork based broth. My favorite kind.

My preferred "everyday" ramen (as in, if I had to eat one every day) would be the Shio Ramen from Santouka.

santouka_1.jpg

Clipped from my review of their special Toroniku bowl:

"It seems like they added a cherry tomato, and instead of three small pieces of their perfectly buttery melt-in-your-mouth toroniku, I got 5 strips of it. That already made it totally worth it! Other than that, it was the same old, still great Santouka ramen with its airy, light noodles and equally light yet succulent broth; a perfect contrast to Sumire's rich broth and delicious in its own right. Supposedly this is available all the time and the anniversary special was just a discount."

Speaking of Sumire Ramen, I thought it was one of the best ramen I've tasted, but it was so oily I wouldn't be able to eat it all the time.

9-noodles.jpg

More clippage:

The bowl of ramen from Sumire was epic. They only had one item on their menu, a bowl of miso ramen, which was fine with me. The thick soup had a unique, deeply flavored complexity to it that I could trace to either butter or lard, and it had a very strong finish of miso. It was, however, so oily that no matter how much you mixed it, a clear layer of oil would always rise to the top, even in your spoon... which of course, led to many burnt tongues. The egg noodles were a bright yellow, thick yet firm and easily the best I've had. Toppings were sparse but sufficient; negi, konbu, bamboo shoots, and tiny cubes of toroniku (pork belly) rounded out the bowl.

Santouka is available for me everyday, but Sumire was on a US tour and only showed up for a few days...

I had a an urge for ramen so me and the wife made this a few days ago. We marinated the pork in soy sauce for a day, coated it with hony then baked it. The eggs were a little overcooked, I prefer the yellows to be more liquidy, but it's hard to get the eggs cooked just right. We bought the ramen at a Japanese market. The noodles & soup were great. Anyways it was deeeeelicous

Ramen2.jpg

Im in nagoya for a few days with my dad for a wedding (long story) and i had the most amazing ramen today at the train station in the center of the city, ill post pics later. Had the most amazing shabu shabu last night as well. For those who dont know shabu shabu is like thin slices of beef that you dip into boiling hot water which coos it and then you put it in various sauces, so freakin good. Japan is awesome i dont wanna go back to ny lol.

cheers,
Mike

[quote name='coltyhuxx']adventure.. lol.. nice.

you can church those up (in a pan) with some veggies... shrimp, tofu, spices etc...[/quote]

LMAOOOOOOoo Once I saw that ramen cup noodle I busted out laughing!

i usually go to flushing main street (if any of you guess live in NY you know what im talking about) for my ramen cravings. usually stop for a bubble tea or two as well =P. god i love ramen and bubble tea together.

for anyone who is in Japan. i watch tokyocoony's vlogs and he says ikibukuro is the best town in Japan for ramen.

[quote name='XtoyxboyX']for anyone who is in Japan. i watch tokyocoony's vlogs and he says ikibukuro is the best town in Japan for ramen.[/quote]

When I go to Japan the first place I go for my Ramen is ikebukuro. In fact I have a picture of the best known Ramen in ikebukuro at the very top of this page.

what is the name of the place, i might have to check it out when i head over to japan. hopefully it will still be there when i go =P

I used to have it's business card but I tossed it. My wife might remember the name, I'll ask her later. I'm pretty sure it started with an "I"

I found Ikebukuro to be passable, maybe because I was staying there for 2 months. I found the best Ramen overall to be in Shinjuku (maybe because of the business district), go into any random one around Kabukicho (don't get sucked into the hostess bars though, your credit card will get maxed out by the time you leave, and they don't speak English either). And if your not sure how to order always choose the ones that have a vending machine where you pay and get a ticket, most of the time there will be a plastic version on display or a picture somewhere in the store of what the item is, just make sure the characters match the picture, or better yet memorize hiragana and katakana on your plane to Japan.

[quote name='tomaway']

wife made this once a week, almost every week.[/quote]

yum... how did she make it... using ramen noodles?

yes, ramen noodles
She boiled the noodle and Beansprout. When cooked just dump all the liquid and mixed it with garlic oil and your favorite spices. Oh also ad chicken, grounded nuts, green onion or cilantro.

[quote name='CoolGamer']that looks really good tom... damn im hungry for some PHO now[/quote]
PHO is great xD
Do they have PHO32 restaurants in LA?

Oh man that ramen in the OP looks delicious. Hey Cheapy, sorry if you answered this already but what are those sausage looking things at the top?

[quote name='Maklershed']:drool:

That stuff that tomaway posted looks excellent too. If you read this tomaway .. what's in that?[/quote]

[quote name='tomaway']yes, ramen noodles
She boiled the noodle and Beansprout. When cooked just dump all the liquid and mixed it with garlic oil and your favorite spices. Oh also ad chicken, grounded nuts, green onion or cilantro.[/quote]

It's all right there.

[quote name='XtoyxboyX']PHO is great xD
Do they have PHO32 restaurants in LA?[/QUOTE]

They have really good Vietnamese restaurants in LA
I bet they're even better in Santa Ana

I had Pho for the first time a few months ago when I went on vaction in DC. From what I understand they eat it kinda like a brunch. We went around 9:00 AM so it was the oddest breakfast I had, but definatly delicious.

[quote name='Rodimus']I had Pho for the first time a few months ago when I went on vaction in DC. From what I understand they eat it kinda like a brunch. We went around 9:00 AM so it was the oddest breakfast I had, but definatly delicious.[/quote]

What's Pho? Oh and i've enjoyed all the Ramen stories. It's kind of ironic I stumbled on this thread while playing Persona 3 FES where some of the characters love their Ramen. :D

Pho (sounds like "Fa-O") is a Vietnamese noodle dish. Traditionally it has a beef broth with thin slices of beef. From what I remember the noodles were lighter than what you find in Ramen and has more of a white-ish color. Mine was garnished with bean sprouts, peppers, onions, etc. I ordered mine a little spicy too, gotta have the heat :hot: I was told that Pho is normally served between breakfast & lunch.

Some of the people I was with tought it's too heavy of a meal to eat that early in the day. Not me. Wish I knew a place around me that served it, but South Flordia sucks when it comes to Asian cusine. The stuff they sell at South Beach & Miami is so Americanized it makes me cry.

[quote name='Rodimus']Pho (sounds like "Fa-O") is a Vietnamese noodle dish. Traditionally it has a beef broth with thin slices of beef. From what I remember the noodles were lighter than what you find in Ramen and has more of a white-ish color. Mine was garnished with bean sprouts, peppers, onions, etc. I ordered mine a little spicy too, gotta have the heat :hot: I was told that Pho is normally served between breakfast & lunch.

Some of the people I was with tought it's too heavy of a meal to eat that early in the day. Not me. Wish I knew a place around me that served it, but South Flordia sucks when it comes to Asian cusine. The stuff they sell at South Beach & Miami is so Americanized it makes me cry.[/quote]

I would love to try real authentic Ramen soup as I love soup period. :bouncy: But I understand where you're coming from. I use to live in Miami years ago and now live in Venice, Florida and there are really no places for that type of cuisine.

I've found a few authenic Asian places down here but haven't seen a place that serves good Ramen.

Once I ordered ramen at this Sushi/Thai restaurant, becasue all Asian food is the same and can be housed under the same roof. Anyways the food's always been good and I saw what I thought was Japanese chefs in the kitchen. I decided to chance it. That was a mistake. The pork was dry, noodles were bland, the broth was "meh." So unless I'm in Tokyo my wife and I make it.

bread's done
Back