Check your Xbox live account's inbox for 80 free Microsoft points

P a t r i c k

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I received a message from "LIVE" about 15 minutes ago with this message:

"We've enhanced Game Marketplace to make finding games and content easier. Try it for yourself with this token for 80 free Microsoft points. Points are not transferable and must be spent on content by March 2, 2011."

This was not an email but a text message via Xbox Live.

Got the same message, I'm gold in canada.

Any clue how the points expiration works? is it last in first out(LIFO)? or first in first out(FIFO)? If it's FIFO, they're pretty much guaranteed to expire since I can't spend all my points by march 2 and I'm definitely not going to try because of a free dollar.

I'm Gold and U.S. and I've had gold a good 2-3 years and never gotten any of these, I think it's because i didn't have Xbox marketing enabled on my account, I just enabled it maybe I'll get something soon. Btw to enable it go to your dashboard and select your profile, then go to the right twice to "Online Safety" and click "Change Settings" then click customize and scroll down to "Xbox Marketing" and "Partner Marketing" and select Opt In.

No go here... oh well I can't complain I got a few of these in my emails a few months back.

This code wont work btw =)
5911e92f.png

Nothing here as usual. Thanks for the heads up.
[quote name='Mxylptlk']Any clue how the points expiration works?[/QUOTE]
The marketplaces are supposed to use up your expiring points before tapping the non-expiring ones.

[quote name='COLDblood']This code wont work btw =)
5911e92f.png
[/QUOTE]BTG7M-9WQ33-F86RP-H2V8H-P6K6Y

"This code has already been used."

[quote name='XP1']BTG7M-9WQ33-F86RP-H2V8H-P6K6Y

"This code has already been used."[/QUOTE]

Did you seriously expect that code to work after he specifically said that it WON'T work?

[quote name='nypickle']Did you seriously expect that code to work after he specifically said that it WON'T work?[/QUOTE]I expected the error to say that the code was invalid. I did not expect the error to say that it was used.

LOL think I was lying? I should have posted a working banshee code there =)

They also had one recently they sent out for the same amount but was Gears of War 2 themed.

I got it too. I didn't want to write the code down so I went to xbox to copy and paste it and the message doesn't even show up there just on the xbox itself.

tankyroo, I got the points and I have xbox marketing and partner marketing turned off. So, I'd recommend turning it back off :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm there might be a catch... did you see where it said that the points must be used by mar xx? Guessing they give you 80 so you spend xxxx.

nothing for me, then again i never get them...
maybe because i use Gmail and not hotmail?
tho i do still have my msn name tied to my gamertag.

[quote name='r3dreck']hmm there might be a catch... did you see where it said that the points must be used by mar xx? Guessing they give you 80 so you spend xxxx.[/QUOTE]
Mine said it expired march 2nd. I already had 80 points left over so I just spent my 160 points on a def jam rap star song.

My Live account is set to a fake email address, but in my contact preferences, I set my real email address. Is this why I didn't get the emails?

Which email does Microsoft send it to: the Live email address or the custom email address in Contact Preferences?

[quote name='XP1']My Live account is set to a fake email address, but in my contact preferences, I set my real email address. Is this why I didn't get the emails?

Which email does Microsoft send it to: the Live email address or the custom email address in Contact Preferences?[/QUOTE]

It's on your console anyhow, via your GT I'm guessing... if you got it you get it there.

WTF?

I checked my messages last night at like 2am and no message from LIVE.

I check it today at noon and I have the message and code now for 80MSP.

This is a great marketing tactic - give people a few points that expire relatively soon to get them to spend...and since I have 520MSP currently, that puts me right up to 600MSP on the dot. Time to do a little XBL shopping (and I mean a very little :p).

Its kind of amusing that when you redeem the code it actually says "Xbox LIVE 80 Microsoft Points Prepaid Card" like its all official. Too bad they expire in like a week. Great marketing tactic though.

[quote name='r3dreck']It's on your console anyhow, via your GT I'm guessing... if you got it you get it there.[/QUOTE]I didn't get it. I don't see anything under Messages. :(

[quote name='Mxylptlk']tankyroo, I got the points and I have xbox marketing and partner marketing turned off.[/QUOTE]
Man, I can only imagine how furious you were that MS ignored your opt-out request.

bread's done
Back