Cheerwine kicks ass.

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
So, I was watching the Food network (number one sign I'm becoming a fat ass) and they start to talk about Cheerwine. Apparently, it's real big in the south. It's some sort of cherry soda. I remember them talking about the statistics and they sell something like 150 cans per person per year in the town that it's made in. I decided to buy some. I got a 12 pack off eBay for about $15 shipped from some chick in North Carolina. It only took like 2 days to get here. The stuff is awesome, anyone else ever tried it?

I love cherry soda, so I've wanted to try this stuff for a while.

Never seen it in TX, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

During a car trip this past weekend, I put cherry coke + cherry pepsi + cherry flavoring in a fountain drink. Cherrygasm all ova the place. You can get a similar effect by adding grenadine, even though that's not strictly a cherry flavor. Excellent all the same.

[quote name='Strell']I love cherry soda, so I've wanted to try this stuff for a while.

Never seen it in TX, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

During a car trip this past weekend, I put cherry coke + cherry pepsi + cherry flavoring in a fountain drink. Cherrygasm all ova the place. You can get a similar effect by adding grenadine, even though that's not strictly a cherry flavor. Excellent all the same.[/quote]

Don't know if you'd be interested but... ever tried sour cherry juice? Here in America we have sweet cherries, and hence sweet cherry juice. But I was in Ukraine a couple years ago where sour cherries are more common... sour cherry juice is probably the best fruit juice, imo.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Don't know if you'd be interested but... ever tried sour cherry juice? Here in America we have sweet cherries, and hence sweet cherry juice. But I was in Ukraine a couple years ago where sour cherries are more common... sour cherry juice is probably the best fruit juice, imo.[/QUOTE]

Sounds excellent. I'll have to track some of that down sometime too. Don't guess I could find any at a supermarket or anything?

Family used to own a snowcone stand that we ran in the summer. Don't know where we got the cherry syrup from, but it's the only cherry snowcone I've ever liked. Everyone else has this really generic cough syrup flavor, but this stuff was sour and tart.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to check some local places for Cheerwine. I've got some potentials around here, from Walgreens/CVS to a place called "World Market" and another called Spec's (which has all sorts of different drinks and whatnot).

I am from NC. Cheerwine is really good. Unfortunately i am in MI now so they dont sell it anywhere locally.:(

[quote name='JolietJake']Galco soda shop

http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm[/QUOTE]

They have one of these in Pasadena and I go there once in a while. The last time I was there I bought a bunch of Dublin Doctor Pepper and one bottle of Cheerwine, which I haven't drank yet. I'm going to pop it in the fridge and drink away.

sd2xw4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up a town over from where Cheerwine is made (it's made in Gastonia, NC and i'm from Shelby NC) so there is Cheerwine everywhere!

Sundrop is also a popular drink around here and they're made by the same company. Sundrop is a citrus based drink like Mountain Dew, but soooo much better.

If anyone would like I can mail them bottles of Cheerwine to try, just send me a pm and let me know :)

I personally dont care for Cheerwine at all, but to each their own

[quote name='PhrostByte']So, I was watching the Food network (number one sign I'm becoming a fat ass) and they start to talk about Cheerwine. Apparently, it's real big in the south. It's some sort of cherry soda. I remember them talking about the statistics and they sell something like 150 cans per person per year in the town that it's made in. I decided to buy some. I got a 12 pack off eBay for about $15 shipped from some chick in North Carolina. It only took like 2 days to get here. The stuff is awesome, anyone else ever tried it?[/quote]

Yeah, I've tried it. It is readily available in Virginia. Really good soda IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerwine

Cheerwine in the glass bottle supposedly is made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. I can't verify that though since I have only had it in plastic bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Sounds excellent. I'll have to track some of that down sometime too. Don't guess I could find any at a supermarket or anything?

Family used to own a snowcone stand that we ran in the summer. Don't know where we got the cherry syrup from, but it's the only cherry snowcone I've ever liked. Everyone else has this really generic cough syrup flavor, but this stuff was sour and tart.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to check some local places for Cheerwine. I've got some potentials around here, from Walgreens/CVS to a place called "World Market" and another called Spec's (which has all sorts of different drinks and whatnot).[/quote]

I'm not really sure if it's available over here in the states. My local Russian stores carry it... but I doubt you have any near you. I guess I'd say try any eastern European-type grocery store. Polish, Ukrainian, Russia.. maybe even German would work.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm not really sure if it's available over here in the states. My local Russian stores carry it... but I doubt you have any near you. I guess I'd say try any eastern European-type grocery store. Polish, Ukrainian, Russia.. maybe even German would work.[/QUOTE]

I did manage to find something today labeled "tart cherry" juice. I'll try it out.

I have a friend who is from Russia. I doubt he knows where any markets specific to that region are, but you never know. I'll ask him about it.

Russian food = pelmeni, which is great stuff indeed, but that's an entirely different topic.

I'm in northern Virginia, and it's in my normal grocery store (Wegman's). It's not my favorite soda, but it's quite good. I don't get pure cherry, though, I also think it tastes a little like chocolate + cherries. Hmm maybe I'll have to run to the store and pick up some more. :)

/tk

I was just in a little Asian market this afternoon with the (little Asian) wife and spotted Cheerwine. I thought it was some kind of knockoff brand like Dr. Thunder. I guess I'll have to head back and pick up a six-pack of the stuff to try.

I constantly watch The Food Network. The recently brought back Anthony Bourdain's show to their late night line-up, which is great, as I love Anthony Bourdain.

Cheerwine finally expanded into the Atlanta market! It happened just in the last few weeks. I have family in WV and NC/SC and when I'm visiting I ALWAYS had to stop to get some. Food Lion even sells Cheerwine ice cream.

[quote name='Strell']I did manage to find something today labeled "tart cherry" juice. I'll try it out.

I have a friend who is from Russia. I doubt he knows where any markets specific to that region are, but you never know. I'll ask him about it.

Russian food = pelmeni, which is great stuff indeed, but that's an entirely different topic.[/quote]

I actually hate Russian food buttt to each their own. :cool:

We've had Cheerwine here forever.

Unfortunately, I don't believe they have a diet version, so it looks like I won't ever be drinking it.

Apparently, they do. I wonder if they have the diet version locally...

Just picked up some Cheerwine on my last grocery trip.

It's pretty good, although it tastes somewhat like a cherry Dr. Pepper, which isn't a really bad thing. It has a pretty decent sweet taste to it, much better than the "sharper" taste of other cherry drinks.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Just picked up some Cheerwine on my last grocery trip.

It's pretty good, although it tastes somewhat like a cherry Dr. Pepper, which isn't a really bad thing. It has a pretty decent sweet taste to it, much better than the "sharper" taste of other cherry drinks.[/quote]

I only have one left. :(

bread's done
Back