Christmas spirit waning as you get older?

[quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

Apr 9 Good Friday (Christian) Ban it, religious
Apr 11 Easter Sunday (Christian) Ban it, religious
Apr 12 Easter Monday (Christian) Ban it, religious [/quote]

i agree with that as well...i understand what you were saying was a joke, but i hope you realized how ridiculous you sounded outside of how ridiculous you actully were trying to sound

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='moiety'][quote name='punqsux']
i feel ive typed the same thing 4 or 5 times over and still no one gets what im saying...
[/quote]

It's probably cuz they don't want to 'get' what you're saying.

It feels like this topic is going in circles....[/quote]

please summarize what he is trying to say then...[/quote]

Exactly my point! :lol:

Historically, the first "thanksgiving" likely didn't even happen. The whole smallpox on blankets thing kind of sours the deal. However, secularly, Thanksgiving is about eating turkey and being thankful. Secular > Historical in this case.

Historically, Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus the Christ. Now for whichever reason (most probably that the majority of America is christian), Christmas has become the "national" December holiday. That is a reality. While I would much rather see the holiday season become completely non-discriminatory, we have to deal with the state of it as it stands. The solution to this is commercialization. In stead of seeing Jesus commercials, you see Santa Claus. So the secular meaning of Christmas has taken the form of giving presents, and showing loved ones that you care for them. I don't think that its a horrible trade.

I don't either, so long as someone doesn't try to completely remove the obvious religious overtones and symbology of the holiday.
People can celebrate the holiday however they see fit... but when they try to completely remove the religious significance of the holiday because it gets in the way of the consumerism of the holiday (which is exactly what I see calling the holiday "Xmas" as (which is an accepted viewpoint... look at the usage notes of the source Tromack quoted earlier).

This is not selfish. Christian's who use their religious majority to try and enforce the historical significance are only looking out for themselves. Again, I agree that the nationalization of Christmas is wrong, but it happened. Commercializing the holiday somewhat fixes this error. If you'd like the religion inserted back into christmas, then do it yourselves, in your own homes. Don't force it onto other people, regardless if the majority of people in America follow your beliefs. Don't forget, the majority of Americans are caucasian also, but that doesn't mean you can pander everything to them.

I don't mind that there is a secular aspect to the holiday. But when that secular aspect tries to completely remove the religious aspect that it grew from, that vexes me to no end.

Also, I liked the IDEA of "ChristmaHanukwanzika", not the name. The name sucks. The idea does not.

I don't like the idea, as again it minimalizes religions. I have no problems with secular holidays, and a secular holiday season wouldn't bother me at all. Remove the idea of it including the religious festivals of Channuka and Christmas, and I don't have a problem with it... until they expect us to render tribute unto a world government or some secular idol.

Sumation: If you're going to put christmas EVERYWHERE, you had better make it accessible to EVERYONE. If you don't want to sacrifice the meaning of the holiday in the process, then don't put it everywhere. However, since it already IS everywhere, I don't see commercialization as a bad temporary solution to the problem.

The thing is, it isn't the Church putting Christmas everywhere. It's corporations... it's yet another huge advertising promotion to them.. they get to push thier products. In fact, I can't remember the last time I've actually seen any commericals from the Pope trying to drive up participation during the Christmas Season.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']

so why do you celebrate something you don't believe in? so what is the 'actual meanin of christmas' that you don't wan't to disrespect? If you don't believe in it how can you disrespect it? I don't believe in Friday the 13th.. so I don't mark that day by being afraid or steering clear of it..[/quote]

CAN YOU NOT READ?! i just told you why i celebrate it!!

the meaning of christmas was ment to mean people who actully practice the holiday as a religious and spitual day. i dont want to disrespect that because i wouldnt want them disrespecting me for what i believe in (tho from this thread it dosent look like i get off so easy :wink:)

you analogy to friday the 13th makes no sence, the date on the calendar does exist, as christmas does exist.

i didnt mean i dont believe in christmas as in christmas dosent exist, i ment it in i dont believe in the religious foundations of the holiday.

Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of the day: the birth of Santa?

edit: PS: my holiday spirit has already worn off. Them pushing it before Thanksgiving was the last straw for me this year. And boy, do I ever have pity on any retail employees this time of year, not for the extra work they have to do, but for the constant Christmas music playing for all the hours they work. I'd blow my brains out after a couple days of that and they have a month to go...

[quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

Jan 1 New Year's Day Ban it becasue not everyone celebrates the same start of the new year

or that is has been for over 1500 years a Chriistian holiday

Jan 19 Martin Luther King Day Ban it, not all people like blacks

Nor do people like the idea that Rev. Kings message was about Christian Justice.

Feb 14 Valentine's Day Ban it, everyone isnt in love

A Christian Martyr

Feb 16 President's Day Ban it, everyone doesnt like them

2 Christian Presidents--Lincoln and Washington.

Apr 12 Easter Monday (Christian) Ban it, religious

I'd agree actually on banning this one.. no religious precedent.. there is no "Easter Monday"

May 9 Mother's Day Ban it, not everyone has a mother

OK to ban however it does mark "honor thy father and mother."

May 31 Memorial Day Ban it, some of those soldiers died in a war that someone didnt like

Read Abe Lincolns proclamation...

Jun 20 Father's Day Ban it, not everyone has a fater
Jul 4 Independence Day Ban it, it may be offensive to other nations

Sep 6 Labor Day Keep it

Keeping the sabbath

Oct 11 Columbus Day Ban it, he was mean to the Indians
\
In SOuth Dakota it is Native American Day.. In North Dakota it is ."Remember Leif Eriicson discovered america hundreds of years before columbus.."

Oct 31 Halloween Ban it, ghosts are scary to some people

ALl Hallows Eve---religious holliday..
Nov 11 Veterans Day Ban it, they fought in wars that some people didnt agree with

Religious holiday..

Nov 25 Thanksgiving Day Ban it because it is mean to animals
Read all the proclamations--christian holiday..

Dec 25 Christmas Day Ban it, religious[/quote]

duh

[quote name='"punqsux"'][quote name='Lootr2Core']

i didnt mean i dont believe in christmas as in christmas dosent exist, i ment it in i dont believe in the religious foundations of the holiday.[/quote]

That quote is probably the dumbest thing I've read since DLF! So you say Christmas 'exists' yet don't want to mention the religious foundations which is the only reason of the holliday.. So what Exactly do you celebrate on Christmas and WHY!???

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

i agree with that as well...i understand what you were saying was a joke, but i hope you realized how ridiculous you sounded outside of how ridiculous you actully were trying to sound[/quote]

Hey, if people want religion out, then its all or nothing. As JSweeny called several people on, its only ok when it benefits you. How fucked up is that.

[quote name='bignick']As JSweeny called several people on, its only ok when it benefits you. How shaq-fued up is that.[/quote]

TOTALLY UNEXPECTE'D!

[quote name='"Lootr2Core"'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Lootr2Core']

i didnt mean i dont believe in christmas as in christmas dosent exist, i ment it in i dont believe in the religious foundations of the holiday.[/quote]

That quote is probably the dumbest thing I've read since DLF! So you say Christmas 'exists' yet don't want to mention the religious foundations which is the only reason of the holliday.. So what Exactly do you celebrate on Christmas and WHY!???[/quote]

dude i swear you must just type random replys without reading the posts you quote.

christmas exists...there is no way around that fact.
i dont believe in the religious foundations of the holiday.
my disbeleif does not make the holiday non-existant.

i already told you what i celebrate on xmas and why, and i already told you i already told you.

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

i agree with that as well...i understand what you were saying was a joke, but i hope you realized how ridiculous you sounded outside of how ridiculous you actully were trying to sound[/quote]

Hey, if people want religion out, then its all or nothing. As JSweeny called several people on, its only ok when it benefits you. How shaq-fued up is that.[/quote]
how does it benefit me?

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

Hey, if people want religion out, then its all or nothing. As JSweeny called several people on, its only ok when it benefits you. How shaq-fued up is that.[/quote]

I agree, all or nothing. Yet, Jewish holidays are RARELY seen on tv, and jewish holidays are increasingly not being observed by schools. I think that the schools in my area excuse the Jewish kids on these days, but the rest of us have class.

So as it stands, all CHRISTIAN holidays are being observed, and thats about it. So which is it, all or nothing?

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux']

That quote is probably the dumbest thing I've read since DLF! So you say Christmas 'exists' yet don't want to mention the religious foundations which is the only reason of the holliday.. So what Exactly do you celebrate on Christmas and WHY!???[/quote]

dude i swear you must just type random replys without reading the posts you quote.

i already told you what i celebrate on xmas and why, and i already told you i already told you.[/quote]

What did you do to the quote tags? And what's this all about?

edit: fixed god's cruelest mistake: the unclosed quote tag.

[quote name='jmcc']Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of the day: the birth of Santa?
[/quote]

B00005M2FC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[quote name='"punqsux"'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Lootr2Core']

i already told you what i celebrate on xmas and why, and i already told you i already told you.[/quote]

And you must not think about what you are typing before you type it.

So in your mind Christmas exists... but you don't believe in it.. Don't you realize that is like me stating that ' I don't believe in the Roman Calander.. but I know this is November 27!?

The holiday is non-existant in your eyes... and it sounds like you are trying to make your belief (or rather disbelief) true in my eyes.

[quote name='evilmax17']
I agree, all or nothing. Yet, Jewish holidays are RARELY seen on tv, and jewish holidays are increasingly not being observed by schools. I think that the schools in my area excuse the Jewish kids on these days, but the rest of us have class.

So as it stands, all CHRISTIAN holidays are being observed, and thats about it. So which is it, all or nothing?[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

So as it stands, all CHRISTIAN holidays are being observed, and thats about it. So which is it, all or nothing?[/quote]

Whats the most popular movie duriing easter/passover? Could it be the 10 commandments starring Charlton Heston. According to Punxsux.. that Jewish stuff shouldn't be seen either ( I would disagree)

[quote name='Lootr2Core']

So in your mind Christmas exists... but you don't believe in it.. Don't you realize that is like me stating that ' I don't believe in the Roman Calander.. but I know this is November 27!?

The holiday is non-existant in your eyes... and it sounds like you are trying to make your belief (or rather disbelief) true in my eyes.[/quote]

ok i am no longer replying to anything you say in this thread because you are unable to grasp the point im trying to get across no matter how clearly i try and state that point, over and over, your posts are made with no other reason than to incite and im not here for a fight im here for a discussion (heated though it may be, a discussion)

^^

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

:applause:[/quote]

You applaud yet if more Jewish holidays were celebrated would your arguement change?

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Lootr2Core']

The holiday is non-existant in your eyes... and it sounds like you are trying to make your belief (or rather disbelief) true in my eyes.[/quote]

ok i am no longer replying to anything you say in this thread because you are unable to grasp the point im trying to get across no matter how clearly i try and state that point, over and over, your posts are made with no other reason than to incite and im not here for a fight im here for a discussion (heated though it may be, a discussion)

^^[/quote]

good grief I was thinking the same thing about your thoughts.

Edit: IS IT NO WONDER I CAN"T MAKE SENSE OF YOUR POSTS---such wonderful typing/grammar. CAN YOU NOT READ?! i just told you why i celebrate it!!

the meaning of christmas was ment to mean people who actully practice the holiday as a religious and spitual day. i dont want to disrespect that because i wouldnt want them disrespecting me for what i believe in (tho from this thread it dosent look like i get off so easy Wink)

you analogy to friday the 13th makes no sence, the date on the calendar does exist, as christmas does exist.

i didnt mean i dont believe in christmas as in christmas dosent exist, i ment it in i dont believe in the religious foundations of the holiday.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

If history has shown anything at all, it's that no one can agree when it comes to religion.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

Talk to the corporations and unions... they were the ones that force through most of the paid vacations and holidays.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

Since the USA is mostly Christian, wouldnt it make sence to celebrate Christian holidays? So Israel shouldnt celebrate Jewish holidays?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

:rofl: you just summed up what ive been thinking for the past hour

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

Since the USA is mostly Christian, wouldnt it make sence to celebrate Christian holidays? So Israel shouldnt celebrate Jewish holidays?[/quote]

No I guess you can't bring that up as religion is bad in some peoples' eyes.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

You applaud yet if more Jewish holidays were celebrated would your arguement change?[/quote]

what about buddist, hindu, rastafarian, satanists?

Christianity is still dominant here in America, if another religion started to challenge Christianity in terms of popularity, then I would assume that their holidays would also be celebrated

EDIT: I guess me, Big Nick, and Loot all see eye to eye on this one

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

:rofl: you just summed up what ive been thinking for the past hour[/quote]

That's focused thinking.

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

Since the USA is mostly Christian, wouldnt it make sence to celebrate Christian holidays? So Israel shouldnt celebrate Jewish holidays?[/quote]

this country was founded on the basis of freedom of religion.
the country recognizing one religious holiday over others is wrong.

like you said, all or nothing as far as national religious holidays go.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

You applaud yet if more Jewish holidays were celebrated would your arguement change?[/quote]

Christianity is still dominant here in America, if another religion started to challenge Christianity in terms of popularity, then I would assume that their holidays would also be celebrated

EDIT: I guess me, Big Nick, and Loot all see eye to eye on this one[/quote]

I would be cool with a national rastafarian day. Say April 20th.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

Yes, because everyone who has agreed with you has been nothing but polite, logical and reasonable, right?

Please.

In fact, that's probably one of the most ridiculously rude and short sighted things I've ever seen sblymnlcrymnl write. I've yet to see anyone chastise him for being athiest, but it's fine to play take a cheapshot on the Christians, right?

What's next, maybe a couple of lions?

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

I don't believe that any holiday from any religion should be celebrated or even acknowledged by the government. End of story.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

like you said, all or nothing as far as national religious holidays go.[/quote]

should one toss out the declaration of independance as well?

Me too. Christmas is a time when people of all religions come together to worship Jesus Christ.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

Yes, because everyone who has agreed with you has been nothing but polite, logical and reasonable, right?

Please.

In fact, that's probably one of the most ridiculously rude and short sighted things I've ever seen sblymnlcrymnl write. I've yet to see anyone chastise him for being athiest, but it's fine to play take a cheapshot on the Christians, right?

What's next, maybe a couple of lions?[/quote]

Yeah, but he'll get his in hell. Blasphemers always do.

amen amen

[quote name='JSweeney']What's next, maybe a couple of lions?[/quote]

Hey homie, you guys are in the majority. The Christians don't have that underdog thing going for them anymore.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

like you said, all or nothing as far as national religious holidays go.[/quote]

should one toss out the declaration of independance as well?[/quote]

You have to, it has refrences to God in it.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

Please.

Maybe it came out slightly worse than I meant it, but my point was that religion brings out the worst on all sides. From what I've seen punq has stated his position very clearly but many here don't seem to get it or just don't want to accept it. This is one of those areas where everyone should just agree to disagree and leave it.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

Please.

Maybe it came out slightly worse than I meant it, but but point was that religion brings out the worst on all sides. From what I've seen punq has stated his position very clearly but many here don't seem to get it or just don't want to accept it. This is one of those areas where everyone should just agree to disagree and leave it.[/quote]

If everyone agreed to disagree, things would suck, big time.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wow. I didn't know people could be this stupid, but I guess religion just brings this side out.[/quote]

Please.

Maybe it came out slightly worse than I meant it, but but point was that religion brings out the worst on all sides. From what I've seen punq has stated his position very clearly but many here don't seem to get it or just don't want to accept it. This is one of those areas where everyone should just agree to disagree and leave it.[/quote]

has he agreed to leave the 'other side' alone? seems like he spoke against CHRISTmas and didn't leave it alone and let folks opinions be there own..

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']

I don't believe that any holiday from any religion should be celebrated or even acknowledged by the government. End of story.[/quote]

That'd be nice. You can expect that to happen when the White House and both houses of Congress are inhabited by robots. Since Christianity is still a majority of the religious make up of the US, it only makes sense that the same would be true for Congress. As there must be a quorum in place for legislation to go forth, and since those practicioners of a religion would take those holidays of, and a qourum could not be met.
It only makes sense for it to be a holiday for all the members, as since the quorum would not be met, no business would be transacted anyway.

You can't compel those members to not take that holiday, as that would be abridging the free exercise of thier religion.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']

thank you, i have done my best to be civil and clear in this topic, but all i end up getting from people are smartass contradicting statements that have nothing to do with anything

i was starting to question my sanity
...now im questioning yours as well :wink:

[quote name='bignick']If everyone agreed to disagree, things would suck, big time.[/quote]
No one will ever agree on this issue, and no progress will be made if we continue this way.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']has he agreed to leave the 'other side' alone? seems like he spoke against CHRISTmas and didn't leave it alone and let folks opinions be there own..[/quote]

As I see it, he really didn't speak against christmas and "let folks opinions be there own" is exactly what he's trying to do.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='bignick']If everyone agreed to disagree, things would suck, big time.[/quote]
No one will ever agree on this issue, and no progress will be made if we continue this way.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']has he agreed to leave the 'other side' alone? seems like he spoke against CHRISTmas and didn't leave it alone and let folks opinions be there own..[/quote]

As I see it, he really didn't speak against christmas and "let folks opinions be there own" is exactly what he's trying to do.[/quote]

by stating he wants to take CHRIST out of Christmas is not not 'letting folks opiinion be there own' but speaking against Christ..which is unbelievable !

[quote name='Lootr2Core']by stating he wants to take CHRIST out of Christmas is not not 'letting folks opiinion be there own' but speaking against Christ..which is unbelievable ![/quote]

The fact that you "can't believe" that not EVERYBODY would agree with your religious viewpoint is a testament to your intelligence.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='bignick']If everyone agreed to disagree, things would suck, big time.[/quote]

As I see it, he really didn't speak against christmas and "let folks opinions be there own" is exactly what he's trying to do.[/quote]

by stating he wants to take CHRIST out of Christmas is not not 'letting folks opiinion be there own' but speaking against Christ..which is unbelievable ![/quote]

Unbelievable?

[quote name='JSweeney']That'd be nice. You can expect that to happen when the White House and both houses of Congress are inhabited by robots. Since Christianity is still a majority of the religious make up of the US, it only makes sense that the same would be true for Congress. As there must be a quorum in place for legislation to go forth. Since those practicioners of a religion would take those holidays of, and a qourum could not be met, it only makes sense for it to be a holiday for all the members, as since the quorum would not be met, no business would be transacted anyway.

You can't compel those members to not take that holiday, as that would be abridging thier free exercise of thier religion.[/quote]

I have no problem with people taking days off to celebrate their own beliefs, and it is true that the country would pretty much stop working anyway. Still, I find governmental support of any belief system to be fundamentally wrong. Like nick said, all or none.

[quote name='punqsux']thank you, i have done my best to be civil and clear in this topic, but all i end up getting from people are smartass contradicting statements that have nothing to do with anything

i was starting to question my sanity
...now im questioning yours as well :wink:[/quote]
:lol:

bread's done
Back