Christmas spirit waning as you get older?

[quote name='thomas jefferson']The legitimate powers
of government extend to such acts
only as are injurious to others.
But it does me no injury
for my neighbor to say
there are twenty gods, or no God.
It neither picks my pocket
nor breaks my leg.
[/quote]

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='bignick']If everyone agreed to disagree, things would suck, big time.[/quote]
No one will ever agree on this issue, and no progress will be made if we continue this way.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']has he agreed to leave the 'other side' alone? seems like he spoke against CHRISTmas and didn't leave it alone and let folks opinions be there own..[/quote]

As I see it, he really didn't speak against christmas and "let folks opinions be there own" is exactly what he's trying to do.[/quote]

by stating he wants to take CHRIST out of Christmas is not not 'letting folks opiinion be there own' but speaking against Christ..which is unbelievable ![/quote]

Unbelievable?[/quote]

unbelievable==hyprocasy,

[quote name='bignick']Here is a list of the holidays we need to ban ASAP.

Jan 1 New Year's Day Ban it becasue not everyone celebrates the same start of the new year
Jan 19 Martin Luther King Day Ban it, not all people like blacks
Feb 14 Valentine's Day Ban it, everyone isnt in love

Feb 16 President's Day Ban it, everyone doesnt like them
Apr 9 Good Friday (Christian) Ban it, religious
Apr 11 Easter Sunday (Christian) Ban it, religious
Apr 12 Easter Monday (Christian) Ban it, religious
May 9 Mother's Day Ban it, not everyone has a mother
May 31 Memorial Day Ban it, some of those soldiers died in a war that someone didnt like
Jun 20 Father's Day Ban it, not everyone has a fater
Jul 4 Independence Day Ban it, it may be offensive to other nations
Sep 6 Labor Day Keep it
Oct 11 Columbus Day Ban it, he was mean to the Indians
Oct 31 Halloween Ban it, ghosts are scary to some people
Nov 11 Veterans Day Ban it, they fought in wars that some people didnt agree with
Nov 25 Thanksgiving Day Ban it because it is mean to animals
Dec 25 Christmas Day Ban it, religious[/quote]:rofl:

I like this one the best:

Oct 31 Halloween Ban it, ghosts are scary to some people

:rofl:

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='thomas jefferson']The legitimate powers
of government extend to such acts
only as are injurious to others.
But it does me no injury
for my neighbor to say
there are twenty gods, or no God.
It neither picks my pocket
nor breaks my leg.
[/quote][/quote]

sounds like you are claiming that Christmas breaks your leg and picks your pocket.. why argue so much against CHRISTmass?

[quote name='Lootr2Core']by stating he wants to take CHRIST out of Christmas is not not 'letting folks opiinion be there own' but speaking against Christ..which is unbelievable ![/quote]

He did not say that so quit acting as though he did. Obviously you just don't want to accept his personal beliefs, and that's fine, but please stop acting (I hope) like you don't understand what he's said here.

lootr, i would like to say that you are a very vindictive person. i stated that i would not be replying to your further statements on the issues, and for some reason you saw this as an open invitation to bash me and the things i said, seriously, fuck you.

i was being the bigger man and admitting that we would most likley never understand each others views on the topic, and i accepted that, and all you did was continue posting shit about me, its very sad that you cant accept the fact that we think diffrentl;y, that you would have to continue attacking me after i said i was done with the issue with you.

It would take some kind of hella sensative and timely picture to defuse this heated argument. Here we go:

satan.jpg

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Lootr2Core']by stating he wants to take CHRIST out of Christmas is not not 'letting folks opiinion be there own' but speaking against Christ..which is unbelievable ![/quote]

He did not say that so quit acting as though he did. Obviously you just don't want to accept his personal beliefs, and that's fine, but please stop acting (I hope) like you don't understand what he's said here.[/quote]
hmmm so when he said, "

Post Posted: November 27, 2004, 12:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

evilmax17 wrote:
I'm all for taking the "Christ" out of Christmas.

i agree with you fully, and thats why i call it xmas

that was taken out of context eh?

[quote name='punqsux']lootr, i would like to say that you are a very vindictive person. i stated that i would not be replying to your further statements on the issues, and for some reason you saw this as an open invitation to bash me and the things i said, seriously, shaq-fu you.

i was being the bigger man and admitting that we would most likley never understand each others views on the topic, and i accepted that, and all you did was continue posting shit about me, its very sad that you cant accept the fact that we think diffrentl;y, that you would have to continue attacking me after i said i was done with the issue with you.[/quote]

Where was this that you said you would not be replying? Where was it you said you were 'done with the issue?"

[quote name='Lootr2Core']evilmax17 wrote:

i agree with you fully, and thats why i call it xmas [/quote]

He also said that PERSONALLY he makes a decision to "take the 'Christ'" out of Christmas BUT he doesn't disrespect other's beliefs by expecting them to do the same.

This is a PERSONAL decision which affects his life only, why do you have such a problem with that?

EDIT:
[quote name='Lootr2Core']Where was this that you said you would not be replying? Where was it you said you were 'done with the issue?"[/quote]

Well, you've just proven who the bigger man is here.

Hint: Not you.

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux']lootr, i would like to say that you are a very vindictive person. i stated that i would not be replying to your further statements on the issues, and for some reason you saw this as an open invitation to bash me and the things i said, seriously, shaq-fu you.

i was being the bigger man and admitting that we would most likley never understand each others views on the topic, and i accepted that, and all you did was continue posting shit about me, its very sad that you cant accept the fact that we think diffrentl;y, that you would have to continue attacking me after i said i was done with the issue with you.[/quote]

Where was this that you said you would not be replying? Where was it you said you were 'done with the issue?"[/quote]

ok i am no longer replying to anything you say in this thread because you are unable to grasp the point im trying to get across no matter how clearly i try and state that point, over and over, your posts are made with no other reason than to incite and im not here for a fight im here for a discussion

i did not word for word say i was done discussing this with you, but i do believe its painfully obvious from the post.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Lootr2Core']evilmax17 wrote:

He also said that PERSONALLY he makes a decision to "take the 'Christ'" out of Christmas BUT he doesn't disrespect other's beliefs by expecting them to do the same.

This is a PERSONAL decision which affects his life only, why do you have such a problem with that?[/quote]

SO why do you and Punx have such problems with me calling your beliefs on Christmas stupid? after all its only my beliefs and it doesn't really harm you right?

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='punqsux']lootr, i would like to say that you are a very vindictive person. i stated that i would not be replying to your further statements on the issues, and for some reason you saw this as an open invitation to bash me and the things i said, seriously, shaq-fu you.

Where was this that you said you would not be replying? Where was it you said you were 'done with the issue?"[/quote]

ok i am no longer replying to anything you say in this thread because you are unable to grasp the point im trying to get across no matter how clearly i try and state that point, over and over, your posts are made with no other reason than to incite and im not here for a fight im here for a discussion

i did not word for word say i was done discussing this with you, but i do believe its painfully obvious from the post.[/quote]

how is it painfully obvious?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Lootr2Core']evilmax17 wrote:

This is a PERSONAL decision which affects his life only, why do you have such a problem with that?[/quote]

So, if I personally made the decision to call all African Americans the well known slur typically uttered against them, but didn't expect others to do the same, it would be ok and completely unoffensive, right?

I consider Xmas to be a slur against the Christmas holiday, as they are two radically different things...
one is a secular commercialized celebration, and one is a solemn religous occasion celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']SO why do you and Punx have such problems with me calling your beliefs on Christmas stupid? after all its only my beliefs and it doesn't really harm you right?[/quote]

Your beliefs don't, but when you put words in someone's mouth they tend to want to set the record straight. You just won't drop it.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Lootr2Core']SO why do you and Punx have such problems with me calling your beliefs on Christmas stupid? after all its only my beliefs and it doesn't really harm you right?[/quote]

Your beliefs don't, but when you put words in someone's mouth they tend to want to set the record straight. You just won't drop it.[/quote]

How have I put words in someone's mouth?

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Lootr2Core']evilmax17 wrote:

So, if I personally made the decision to call all African Americans the well known slur typically uttered against them, but didn't expect others to do the same, it would be ok and completely unoffensive, right?

I consider Xmas to be a slur against the Christmas holiday, as they are two radically different things...
one is a secular commercialized celebration, and one is a solemn religous occasion celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.[/quote]

I can understand that, but if you can easily seperate them like that when why would you take so much offense? He's made it clear which one he is talking about. If you look at it as two distinct holidays, then how has he attacked your beliefs?

[quote name='JSweeney']
one is a secular commercialized celebration, and one is a solemn religous occasion celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.[/quote]

and i celebrate the commercial end of it. which you just defined as xmas.

however, if ive offended you, or anyone else, lootr excluded, i apologize, because i didnt mean to.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='JSweeney']

however, if ive offended you, or anyone else, lootr excluded, i apologize, because i didnt mean to.[/quote]

Dang... here I was hoping kind words...

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Lootr2Core']evilmax17 wrote:

J, I can see how you're thinking what you are, but you fail to realize that you are in the majority (which makes a HUGE difference). For example, the n-word carries a much higher taboo factor than saying "whitey" or "cracka" (partly because of the history behind the n-word, but also because of the caucasian majority).

When a small group of people disagrees with the majority, it is favorable for the majority to "tolerate" the smaller groups beliefs.
The converse of this would be the majority bullishly trying to squelch the smaller group's beliefs, which looks tyranical.

Btw, there's something seriously skewed about relating the n-word and Xmas.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']Dang... here I was hoping kind words...[/quote]

although i realize that was sarcasm, you had your chance.
i had no problem with you until i withdrew from your replys and you kept harassing me.
i dont see how i could have more clearly made some sort of peace between us than i attempted.
so again, fuck you.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='JSweeney']

however, if ive offended you, or anyone else, lootr excluded, i apologize, because i didnt mean to.[/quote]

I can live with that.
In fact, punqsux, all I really wanted you to see was that by referring to the celebration as a whole as Xmas that it could be offensive.
Other issues got entangled because of the multitudes of other posters throwing around other topics that added into the thread.

I respect that you only want to celebrate the secular end of the holiday.
At this point, we both see and agree on this.
Earlier, your posts read more to the effect that you ONLY saw the holiday as Xmas, which completely disregarded the entire Christian holiday...
that was my major point of contention with what you were saying.
There were other issues, but as I said before, most of those were introduced by other posters.

The commercialized celebration is the worst thing, I'm not sure why so many complain about the ;relgious holidays' as most of them has me usurped by capitalism.. easter---easterbunny, christmast--santa clause-- epiphany---new years,

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Lootr2Core']Dang... here I was hoping kind words...[/quote]

although i realize that was sarcasm, you had your chance.
i had no problem with you until i withdrew from your replys and you kept harassing me.
i dont see how i could have more clearly made some sort of peace between us than i attempted.
so again, shaq-fu you.[/quote]

please show me what I missed...

J, I can see how you're thinking what you are, but you fail to realize that you are in the majority (which makes a HUGE difference). For example, the n-word carries a much higher taboo factor than saying "whitey" or "cracka" (partly because of the history behind the n-word, but also because of the caucasian majority).

When a small group of people disagrees with the majority, it is favorable for the majority to "tolerate" the smaller groups beliefs.
The converse of this would be the majority bullishly trying to squelch the smaller group's beliefs, which looks tyranical.

Btw, there's something seriously skewed about relating the n-word and Xmas.

Most of what you are saying is moot, as I was only applying the logical argument of Reductio ad absurdum. Of course my argument was absurd. It was specifically that way to show the logic that sblymnl was using was not valid. As I obviously don't believe them to be corralaries, your arguments about that fall on deaf ears.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']
please show me what I missed...[/quote]

heres what you missed.

on page 5 i realized we would likley never have a common agreement on the subject, so i agreed to disagree and said i wouldnt debate the point any further with you.

on page 6:
-you prooved what a big man you were by attacking my spelling and grammar after i attempted a truce, neither of which i check when typing on message boards.
-you put the words in my mouth "religion is bad", which i dont feel, its just not for me.

on page 7:
-you accused me of not letting peoples opinions be their own, which i never said.
-you said that i said "CHRISTmas" hurts me, which i didnt.

back on page 5, i decided to no longer dispute the issue with you, and you took it as an open invitation to harass me to no end and put words in my mouth!

So, I guess the universal points that can be drawn after all this catfighting are:

1. Commercialization of any spiritual event is bad.
2. The government really shouldn't meddle in religious stuff at all, but there's nothing that can be done about it at this point.

WOAH guys. Just WOW. I come through this thread 9 pages long and expect to see a hell of a christmas spirit, and it's a full-scale flame war against someone who doesn't believe in what you do? Just because someone doesn't believe in Christ, the "true" meaning of Christmas (Which is Jesus) and that includes myself, I am an atheist and curse me all you like but that's what I believe, and my beliefs stand, doesn't mean that he's trying to degrade anything. Punq has done virtually nothing here besides state that he does not celebrate the birth of christ or take Christmas as a religious holiday but rather see it as a more widespread holiday for a time of rejoicing, GIVING and spending time with one another. Yet you all decide to flame him to no end.

I also don't see the point of trying to sound like he's demoralized Christmas simply by calling it Xmas. It's an abbreviation, and certainly not implied to be a horrid and vulgar slang term in which all Christians around the world cringe in utter loathing and disgust when someone says it. It's simply a word. Relating it to a white calling a black a n*gger is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. One is obviously inflammatory and hateful, the other is not. I personally have no problem with someone calling it Xmas. Jesus, you guys get your panties in a bunch way too easily. He's not bastardizing it for not emphasizing the Christ in Christmas. And if you have a problem with that, you have a problem with me and just about every other atheist, and even if you don't agree with us you're choosing to disrespect us and our wishes, making yourself a hypocrite.

I agree with sblymnl on this one, people get extremely uptight about religion, especially Christian fanboys who come and decide to take everything one says as literally as possible and then misinterpret or misquote them on what they stated. Punq, I'm sorry that you were dragged into this and I truly feel bad for you because I understand your perspective. Unfortunately others do not, and I probably dragged myself into this as well.

Since religion is such a strong topic, perhaps this should be moved to the VS mode?

Well sure. I take the term Christian fanboys loosely though, as in this particular case I see it as a group of people associated with one religion pressing their beliefs onto others or ridiculing or misquoting someone else who they do not agree with.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']Well sure. I take the term Christian fanboys loosely though, as in this particular case I see it as a group of people associated with one religion pressing their beliefs onto others or ridiculing or misquoting someone else who they do not agree with.[/quote]

sf20010117.gif

WOAH guys. Just WOW. I come through this thread 9 pages long and expect to see a hell of a christmas spirit, and it's a full-scale flame war against someone who doesn't believe in what you do? Just because someone doesn't believe in Christ, the "true" meaning of Christmas (Which is Jesus) and that includes myself, I am an atheist and curse me all you like but that's what I believe, and my beliefs stand, doesn't mean that he's trying to degrade anything. Punq has done virtually nothing here besides state that he does not celebrate the birth of christ or take Christmas as a religious holiday but rather see it as a more widespread holiday for a time of rejoicing, GIVING and spending time with one another. Yet you all decide to flame him to no end.

You're being very hypocritical, here, deadzone. We are supposed to be respectful of your beliefs and traditions, yet it's fine for you (and others) to go in degrading mine because it's more commonplace and accepted?

I also don't see the point of trying to sound like he's demoralized Christmas simply by calling it Xmas. It's an abbreviation, and certainly not implied to be a horrid and vulgar slang term in which all Christians around the world cringe in utter loathing and disgust when someone says it. It's simply a word.

Technically, it isn't any more. Look at the bartleby source that Tromack gave a few pages back. It specifically mentions the distaste for the use of that abbreivation in it's usage notes. Words carry connotations with them... and XMAS no longer carries a postitive one.

Relating it to a white calling a black a n*gger is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. One is obviously inflammatory and hateful, the other is not. I personally have no problem with someone calling it Xmas. Jesus, you guys get your panties in a bunch way too easily. He's not bastardizing it for not emphasizing the Christ in Christmas.

A — He also said that PERSONALLY he makes a decision to "take the 'Christ'" out of Christmas BUT he doesn't disrespect other's beliefs by expecting them to do the same.

1-According to your statement, this belief is valid.
2-If this belief is valid, all beliefs of the same structure should be valid.
3-Thus, if I personally made the decision to call all African Americans the well known slur typically uttered against them, but didn't expect others to do the same, it would be ok.

As point three is obviously absurd, the original statement cannot be logically true. I guess already saying it was intentionally absurd wasn't enough... I have to write out the proof.

And if you have a problem with that, you have a problem with me and just about every other atheist, and even if you don't agree with us you're choosing to disrespect us and our wishes, making yourself a hypocrite.

Yet, it's ok to continuously berate mine, eh?
Yep, "Christian fanboys" sounds like something someone respectful of one's beliefs would say.

I agree with sblymnl on this one, people get extremely uptight about religion, especially Christian fanboys who come and decide to take everything one says as literally as possible and then misinterpret or misquote them on what they stated. Punq, I'm sorry that you were dragged into this and I truly feel bad for you because I understand your perspective. Unfortunately others do not, and I probably dragged myself into this as well.

It's easy to agree with those who agree with you. Punqsux and I reached an understanding, and we began at complete opposite points. This is not trival. Your agreement with Sblymnl is. That would be like saying I agreed with BigNick or Loot2Core. Anyone who has the ability to read the passages can figure that out for themselves.
This thread actually HAD a useful conclusion, because Punqsux and I came to a loosely defined set of terms and agreement.

You're being very hypocritical, here, deadzone. We are supposed to be respect of you your beliefs and traditions, yet it's fine for you (and others) to go in degrading mine because it's more commonplace and accepted?

I was simply stating that if you chose to demoralize our beliefs no matter how much you might disagree with them that you were being hypocritical yourself. I did not in any way degrade Christ, the true meaning of christmas or any other beliefs of yours. I do respect Christians and their decisions to believe in what they like, but that doesn't mean that I am inclined to believe everything they say myself.

Technically, it isn't any more. Look at the bartleby source that Tromack gave a few pages back. It specifically mentions the distaste for the use of that abbreivation in it's usage notes. Words carry connotations with them... and XMAS no longer carries a postitive one.

Please, Jsweeney... this is what I'm talking about. I'm sure even you can admit that when punq says "xmas" in abbreviation for christmas, he's not using it in malicious intent to get jibes at Christians nearby. It's just a common phrase and, if you think it offensive, that's your decision but generally it's not known to be a vulgar obscenity, so stop acting like he's corrupting the word christmas.

A — He also said that PERSONALLY he makes a decision to "take the 'Christ'" out of Christmas BUT he doesn't disrespect other's beliefs by expecting them to do the same.

3-Thus, if I personally made the decision to call all African Americans the well known slur typically uttered against them, but didn't expect others to do the same, it would be ok and completely unoffensive, right?

As point three is obviously absurd, the original statement cannot be logically true. I guess already saying it was intentionally absurd wasn't enough... I have to write out the proof.

I'm not quite understanding you here, JS. He has the right to do what he likes in the world, this is why the country is free, we have our independence and choices to believe in what we want if anything at all. By taking the christ out of christmas he most likely means not LITERALLY, but like me, he doesn't particularly emphasize that part of the holiday. He also said that he respects other peoples decisions TO emphasize that part of the holiday. Immoralizing holidays themselves is an entirely different subject, look at Easter. Parents have weaved magical fairy tales for their sons and daughters that a giant bunny hops from door to door delivering chocolate filled eggs. What exactly was the original purpose of that holiday, hmm? The point is, not every american chooses to celebrate holidays like they should, and it's his right to express his beliefs or non-beliefs how he likes. It is NOT meant to be inflammatory to Christians by not emphasizing Christ in christmas. It may be focused primarily on Jesus for everyone else, but not for atheists or non-believers in God/Christ/etc.

Yep, "Christian fanboys" sounds like something someone respectful of one's beliefs would say.

Like I said, I used that term loosely. If this is going to be like punq and I have to constantly reiterate myself and my opinions I don't want a part of this. A constructive conversation and better understanding, sure, but not that.

And specifically I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to another certain individual on the board who likes to misquote punq, replace words that he said for something entirely different in meaning and jump to conclusions.

It's easy to agree with those who agree with you. Punqsux and I reached an understanding, and we began at complete opposite points. This is not trival. Your agreement with Sblymnl is. That would be like saying I agreed with BigNick or Loot2Core. Anyone who has the ability to read the passages can figure that out for themselves.
This thread actually HAD a useful conclusion, because Punqsux and I came to a loosely defined set of terms and agreement.

OK, but that still doesn't change the fact I agree with him. He is just a part of this thread as you are so don't dismiss my sentence that easily. You can say you agree with Bignick or lootr2core all you like.
And lootr2 wasn't quite finished in flaming punq or so I believed, so no, it did not come to a peaceful and happy resolution. I read the thread and decided to put my input into it.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']

OK, but that still doesn't change the fact I agree with him. He is just a part of this thread as you are so don't dismiss my sentence that easily. You can say you agree with Bignick or lootr2core all you like.
And lootr2 wasn't quite finished in flaming punq or so I believed, so no, it did not come to a peaceful and happy resolution. I read the thread and decided to put my input into it.[/quote]

The only flame that I really saw was my (ill chosen words of 'You sir are a moron) for that I do apologize. I know that punxs is not a moron nor is evilmax. I really saw the rest of the thread as debate/arguement which is always more difficult to do online and not face to face. So punx, I apologize for calling you a moron I shouldn't have done that.

deadzone-- I don't think that disagreement is synonomous with flaming.

That's what I was referring to. Ah well, I forgive you, hopefully punq does too, I'm glad you can say you're sorry and for that I do give you some respect.

I was simply stating that if you choosed to demoralize our beliefs no matter how much you might disagree with them that you were being hypocritical yourself. I did not in any way degrade Christ, the true meaning of christmas or any other beliefs of yours. I do respect Christians and their decisions to believe in what they like, but that doesn't mean that I am inclined to believe everything they say myself.

I've not been demoralizing your beliefs. Chiefly, I was explaining to Punqsux why what he said was offensive to mine. I've never gone ranting on about "atheist fanboys"...
You say you are respectful, but your tone and wording disagree.

Please, Jsweeney... this is what I'm talking about. I'm sure even you can admit that when punq says "xmas" in abbreviation for christmas, he's not using it in malicious intent to get jibes at Christians nearby.

At the begining, he unintentionally was. After a couple of pages of debate and discussion, he realized that he unintentionally was, and he appologized. I found that accpetable, and considered the issue closed, until other people decided they wanted to be the third man in on the argument. I

It's just a common phrase and, if you think it offensive, that's your decision but generally it's not known to be a vulgar obscenity, so stop acting like he's corrupting the word christmas.

If it weren't generally seen as offensive, bartleby wouldn't make it a point to add that fact into it's usage notes. I guess just because a belief isn't held by a majority it's invalid?

3-Thus, if I personally made the decision to call all African Americans the well known slur typically uttered against them, but didn't expect others to do the same, it would be ok and completely unoffensive, right?

I'm not quite understanding you here, JS. He has the right to do what he likes in the world, this is why the country is free, we have our independence and choices to believe in what we want if anything at all.

The fact that he can personally doesn't do it and doesn't expect others to doesn't free him from being offensive. He stated that if he was being offensive, it was unintentional, and thus it is a moot point now.

By taking the christ out of christmas he most likely means not LITERALLY, but like me, he doesn't particularly emphasize that part of the holiday. He also said that he respects other peoples decisions TO emphasize that part of the holiday. Immoralizing holidays themselves is an entirely different subject, look at Easter. Parents have weaved magical fairy tales for their sons and daughters that a giant bunny hops from door to door delivering chocolate filled eggs.

No actually it isn't. Calling Christmas Xmas is the PINACLE of the secularization of the holdiday. That was my point when I was discussing it with Punqsux. Again, since that issue is already resolved, further discussion on it is moot. If you wish to start a new dialoge on it, that would be something different, but Punqsux and I have come to terms, and I have no further desire to plumb the depths of his psyche.

What exactly was the original purpose of that holiday, hmm? The point is, not every american chooses to celebrate holidays like they should, and it's his right to express his beliefs or non-beliefs how he likes. It is NOT meant to be inflammatory to Christians by not emphasizing Christ in christmas. It may be focused primarily on Jesus for everyone else, but not for atheists or non-believers in God/Christ/etc.

Again, discussion on this is moot, as that issue is already resolved. Look to Loot2Core's issues with Punqsux or Sblymnl if you want to dredge something up. I'm done discussing any issues from this thread discussing or analyzing Punqsux... we've come to terms.

Like I said, I used that term loosely. If this is going to be like punq and I have to constantly reiterate myself and my opinions I don't want a part of this. A constructive conversation and better understanding, sure, but not that.

So, would it not be offensive if I loosely used the term "pompous twit?"
You don't want to be part of this, yet you keep getting involved.
Your actions betray you, deadzone.

And specifically I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to another certain individual on the board who likes to misquote punq, replace words that he said for something entirely different in meaning and jump to conclusions.

If you're going to throw pointed allegations around, make sure you aim correctly... they have a tendency to stick, and wildly tossed ones will spark off arguments you don't want to have.

OK, but that still doesn't change the fact I agree with him.

And it shouldn't. But it doesn't change the fact that that goes without saying, is a trivial statement, and does nothing to further any argument.
From a utilitarian point of view, they are wasted words.

He is just a part of this thread as you are so don't dismiss my sentence that easily.

Yes I can. Agreeing with him does nothing to prove any point.
It's a trivial statement.

You can say you agree with Bignick or lootr2core all you like.
I don't need to. From the text of the argument, that is blatantly obvious.

And lootr2 wasn't quite finished in flaming punq or so I believed, so no, it did not come to a peaceful and happy resolution.
Then you should have attacked loot2cores postings and not mine.
My posts became non-issues as soon as an agreement was reached.

I read the thread and decided to put my input into it.

o_O

I didn't attack your postings at all. I didn't even target you at all, you decided to take the initiative and bold my posts in the beginning, so I countered to your responses. I was not referring to you at all, so don't assume things. Because you misinterpret them doesn't mean it's true.

It was my first post in the thread and I thought sblymnl made a good point, so I said that I had agreed with him. What is so horrible about that? You're making a big deal out of nothing.

You are being the epitome of a hypocrite, because this entire time you've considered xmas as an immoral and offensive term, yet you said just now that it's a moot point and you have come to an agreement with punq about it. Then why make such a big deal about it? And why say something like it is the "pinnacle of secularization"? That's your opinion, JS, and obviously you have a right to it but it doesn't make it a fact.
And also I said I didn't want to get involved if this would be a never-ending flame war, one where you would constantly bold my opinions and express the exact same things, for example: Xmas is a horrible derogatory term, bartleby says it so himself, and then a few sentences later say that you have no problem with the term or how he uses it. Why bother?

I never said you were demoralizing my beliefs, I just said if you were to. It was an example, don't take things so literally. I was not referring to you when I said christian fanboys, how many times do I need to say this? Christ, it was meant to be more of a joke then a serious statement, yet you take things so literally so I guess this will be moot as well.

Bartleby is not the focus of the world, because a website decides that a term like that is offensive to christians doesn't mean it's a fact. The thing is, it ISN'T a widespread "insult" like the term n*gger is to a black. More people think of it as an abbreviation of christmas then a derogatory term for it. But like you said you came to an agreement with punq about it so I guess that the word has no merit to you anymore, right?

Why all the hostility, JS? It seems you are sounding almost malicious in coming off in your posts, and half the things I say you take either too literally or too seriously.

And I didn't attack your postings at all, you decided to take this upon yourself by quoting and attacking me.

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl']this thread realy exploded over night :hot:[/quote]

Whenever discussing religion, it's bound to happen eventually.

I didn't attack your postings at all. I didn't even target you at all, you decided to take the initiative and bold my posts in the beginning, so I countered to your responses. I was not referring to you at all, so don't assume things. Because you misinterpret them doesn't mean it's true.
It was my first post in the thread and I thought sblymnl made a good point, so I said that I had agreed with him. What is so horrible about that? You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Try rereading your first post in the thread.. you're specifically attacking some of my posts. Just because you don't normally organize your attacks in the method i do doesn't mean they didn't happen.
As your primia facia case fails, the rest of your argument fails.

You are being the epitome of a hypocrite, because this entire time you've considered xmas as an immoral and offensive term, yet you said just now that it's a moot point and you have come to an agreement with punq about it.

For the scope of this argument it is.
As this thread began with that issue and a resolution has been had, I consider futher discussion of that section of the thread moot.

Then why make such a big deal about it? And why say something like it is the "pinnacle of secularization"? That's your opinion, JS, and obviously you have a right to it but it doesn't make it a fact.

Never said it did.

And also I said I didn't want to get involved if this would be a never-ending flame war, one where you would constantly bold my opinions and express the exact same things, for example: Xmas is a horrible derogatory term, barkley says it so himself, and then a few sentences later say that you have no problem with the term or how he uses it. Why bother?

I have a feeling you've never studied more formalized argumentation.
This is a silly little message board. Precious little said here will have any great effect on how anyone lives thier life. Thus, it really isn't a great forum for having deep philosophical discourses. Given that framework, it's only worthwhile for the discussion of simple propostions, and as soon as a resolution has reached, unless someone restates a proposition, anything following after degrades into white noise or useless flames.

I never said you were demoralizing my beliefs, I just said if you were to. It was an example, don't take things so literally. I was not referring to you when I said christian fanboys, how many times do I need to say this? Christ, it was meant to be more of a joke then a serious statement, yet you take things so literally so I guess this will be moot as well.

Bartley is not the focus of the world, because a website decides that a term like that is offensive to christians doesn't mean it's a fact. The thing is, it ISN'T a widespread "insult" like the term n*gger is to a black. More people think of it as an abbreviation of christmas then a derogatory term for it. But like you said you came to an agreement with punq about it so I guess that the word has no merit to you anymore, right?

I've explained that that was an exercise in reductio ad absurdum. Of course that point was ridiculous. It was intented to be. It's used to show the logical flaw in the orginal statement.

Why all the hostility, JS? It seems you are sounding almost malicious in coming off in your posts, and half the things I say you take either too literally or too seriously.

Thus is the peril of a discussion on in text. As you aren't framing them in the manner you intend them, they come off as completely different. I answer to that which you posted... not that which you intended to post.

And I didn't attack your postings at all, you decided to take this upon yourself by quoting and attacking me.

Reread your first post deadzone. You're wrong.

[quote name='peteloaf']Um... Happy Holidays all?[/quote]

Of course :)

Happy Holidays.
Joyeux Noel,
Feliz Navidad,
Happy Channukah,
Joyous Kwanza.

May all of your holidays, regardless of race, religion, or lack thereof be joyous and merry.

:D

Of course, everyone is just making Jesus angrier and angrier by celebrating his birthday on the wrong day and, indeed, month. If only the church hadn't been so gung-ho about co-opting pagan holidays...

OK, wow, someone's taking this a bit too harshly. I know my first post perfectly well, and I didn't attack you at all. I'm sorry if you can't see that, but for now, I'm out. I don't want someone pinning blame on me for something I DID NOT DO and attempt to make me feel bad.

Reread your first post deadzone. You're wrong.
You're starting to sound extremely immature, JS. After all, if this is just a silly little message board, you shouldn't take things too literally or seriously, am I correct?

In nearly everything I said, I was referring to Lootr2 and his responses to punq. I could tell that punq was starting to feel a bit desperate, because he reiterated his points in so many different ways that it just wasn't getting through.

In no way were you a part of that. I don't like to target you, because you make a point to bold posts of which you don't like and strip them down, then proceed to barrage them with a lot of fancy words and attack them. Nothing against you, I enjoy most of your posts, but on occasion you can cling on for just a little too long.

So, since you're starting to say slanderous remarks about me, I now wave goodbye, and have a merry holiday, whether you're christian, jewish, buddhist, or atheist.

[quote name='jmcc']Of course, everyone is just making Jesus angrier and angrier by celebrating his birthday on the wrong day and, indeed, month. If only the church hadn't been so gung-ho about co-opting pagan holidays...[/quote]

Yep. Darn extant sun gods.

OK, wow, someone's taking this a bit too harshly. I know my first post perfectly well, and I didn't attack you at all. I'm sorry if you can't see that, but for now, I'm out. I don't want someone pinning blame on me for something I DID NOT DO and attempt to make me feel bad.

Now you're amending what you said midstream, deadzone. First you said you didn't attack me or my posts... you've pared it back considerably now, and acting as if you hadn't.

You're starting to sound extremely immature, JS. After all, if this is just a silly little message board, you shouldn't take things too literally or seriously, am I correct?
Perils of a text based medium deadzone, especially when people don't clarify what they mean until after the fact.

In nearly everything I said, I was referring to Lootr2 and his responses to punq. I could tell that punq was starting to feel a bit desperate, because he reiterated his points in so many different ways that it just wasn't getting through.

Then your posts lacked clarity and were overreaching, as you started attacking others posts and such (mine included) in your postings.

In no way were you a part of that. I don't like to target you, because you make a point to bold posts of which you don't like and strip them down, then proceed to barrage them with a lot of fancy words and attack them. Nothing against you, I enjoy most of your posts, but on occasion you can cling on for just a little too long.

Tenacity is a virtue. It's also a well know tactic in aguments to wear down someone to a point where they lack either the support or the conviction to continue.

So, since you're starting to say slanderous remarks about me, I now wave goodbye, and have a merry holiday, whether you're christian, jewish, buddhist, or atheist.

Had to get in a parting shot, eh?
Oh well :)

wow...i could swear sweeney and i put this topic to rest last ngiht...anyways id like to thank dz for backing up my position a bit

as for lootr's aplology, it was a start...a pitiful one. you can apologize for the name calling you did, but not for the personal attacks on my grammar, nor putting words in my mouth after i declared the issues with you to be moot?

what a half assed fucking apology. ive been using a bit of self restraint in this thread, because i didnt want to offend anyone else in this thread but you, and im sure if i had gone all out, most would be offended. to put an end to the matter.

i again say fuck you, that youre a very poor excuse for a person, and you have to worry about more than apologizing to me to correct this problem.

bread's done
Back