Cincinnati - Whats there?

Nineswords

CAGiversary!
I will be visiting cincinnati on June 18-21 for work. What's the nightlife like? Where would be the places to go? I don't like sitting in a hotel room just rotting away until the next work day. Any help would be appreciated.

You can watch the Reds blow another game for $10 bleacher seats.

Depends on what hotel/part of town you're staying in, really, and what sorts of clubs you're into.

Nightlife is just alright; it's definitely no New York or San Francisco. There's a decent grouping of restaurants, shops, bars, and a theater in Newport, KY just across the river. http://www.newportonthelevee.com The aquarium is also pretty cool.

If you're into history, the Cincinnti Museum Center at Union Terminal is pretty frickin sweet. http://www.cincymuseum.org/

Our zoo is a nice afternoon if you're into animals. http://www.cincyzoo.org/

If you like roller coasters and have a day off during your stay, Kings Island is hella fun, but it's no Cedar Point.

Any specifics on what you're looking to do? Just a place to relax in the evening? Day-long event? What are you interested in?

Thanks for all the input. I will be down training one of our locations on new software. Not going to have a day off to do something, it's basically take the first flight out to Cincinnati on Monday morning, train Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, fly out Thursday evening.

Nights will basically be free to do whatever. Really just looking for a place to relax, good dinner, good drink, good sights, etc. I suppose I can attack the links that myke and jefferyjrose gave out. What do you guys usually do? What are good places to stay away from?

It appears we are staying at the Country Inn & Suites on Sharon Road.

We are taking the USA tour with this software conversion...last month, we were in Milwaukee for a couple nights and I talked some people into playing some card games while we had some drinks in the hotel lobby. We tried to get over to a few places in Milwaukee, but it wasn't a good night. Most of the time our group gets done with work, goes to dinner, then everyone goes to their rooms. (yeah, it's kinda lame). Most of our group don't stay up past 9pm. Just trying to break out of that rut.... I don't like to go to my hotel room at 7pm and do nothing until the next morning.

[quote name='Nineswords']Nights will basically be free to do whatever. Really just looking for a place to relax, good dinner, good drink, good sights, etc. I suppose I can attack the links that myke and jefferyjrose gave out. What do you guys usually do? What are good places to stay away from?

It appears we are staying at the Country Inn & Suites on Sharon Road.[/quote]

Not much up where you're at besides Tri-County Mall and some golf courses. I'd recommend traveling into the city or across the river. However, Jungle Jim's is the craziest grocery store I've ever seen, and they're open until 10 PM every night close by you. http://www.junglejims.com/ Not necessarily a place to relax, but worth checking out if you're close by anyway, lol.

In the Levee: 1) If you're looking to grab some dinner with friends, I'd recommend Bar Louie down in Newport on the Levee for a Wednesday escapade. $1 burgers after 5, $2.50 drafts from 5-7, and 1/2 price appetizers 5-7.
2) Dewey's Pizza is a regional pizza chain that I enjoy. Crazy creations are way different from any national chain pizza you'll have.
3) If you enjoy arcade games, there is a Gameworks with a Jax Grill as well.
4) Jefferson Hall has a great atmosphere, and bands that play there are usually decent.

There is also a strip of fun restaurants (many Indian) and a theater that shows artistic/independent films on Ludlow Avenue. It's north of downtown and close the University of Cincinnati. http://www.cliftoncommunity.org/businesses.htm

You have many options! Let us know what you end up doing!

[quote name='mykevermin']You can watch the Reds blow another game for $10 bleacher seats.
[/QUOTE]

fuck you :) the Redlegs won today 4-0.

But I think jeffreyjrose has you covered. I'm thinking of moving to Cincy it would be a nice change of pace from Dayton.

[quote name='Graystone']fuck you :) the Redlegs won today 4-0.[/QUOTE]

I knew that when I heard the fireworks go off this afternoon, seeing as how I live about 3/4 mile from Great American.

That means they won 6 of the past 26 games. Let's have a party. :roll:

OP, you'll be in Sharonville, which is 7-10 miles north and a touch west of downtown Cincy (and Newport as well). Driving from there back to your hotel is about 25 minutes by car, meaning that (1) you're in for a long haul if you drink and drive or (2) you're in for an expensive cab ride home instead. Hope you have an expense account.

If you decide to go down to Newport, I'll be more than happy to meet up for a drink or two.

[quote name='mykevermin']I knew that when I heard the fireworks go off this afternoon, seeing as how I live about 3/4 mile from Great American.

That means they won 6 of the past 26 games. Let's have a party. :roll:
.[/QUOTE]

Hey buddy love them all the way or leave them. I love them fully winning or losing.

That sounds funny.

[quote name='mykevermin']

OP, you'll be in Sharonville, which is 7-10 miles north and a touch west of downtown Cincy (and Newport as well). Driving from there back to your hotel is about 25 minutes by car, meaning that (1) you're in for a long haul if you drink and drive or (2) you're in for an expensive cab ride home instead. Hope you have an expense account.

If you decide to go down to Newport, I'll be more than happy to meet up for a drink or two.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
Keep that drink or two in mind. We may just head that way one of those days. I will let you know as it gets closer.

jefferyjrose - I may have to stop by jungle jim's to check it out. It seems you also point to Newport, perhaps that is the direction to take.

I will keep you guys posted.

[quote name='Nineswords']It appears we are staying at the Country Inn & Suites on Sharon Road.[/quote]I'll be passing you every morning around 3:30 AM. I work at the UPS just around the corner. Heck, you might even be able to see the facility from your room.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'll be passing you every morning around 3:30 AM. I work at the UPS just around the corner. Heck, you might even be able to see the facility from your room.[/quote]

I paid my dues to Sharonville too, lol. I worked in the industrial park near 275 and 75, right off of Mosteller Road.

Here's another good site for reference, run by the local tourism board.

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com

They have lists of restaurants, bars, and events by date and location, so you can have an idea of what's going on.

As for specific places, there's the arcade/bar/restaurant Dave & Busters nearby in Springdale off of I-275 that's open until Midnight on weekdays. Larosa's is a regional Pizzeria with pizza, with their signature sweet sauce, and other Italian foods. They're open until 10, 10:45 for pickup or delivery. The closest locations to where you'll be staying are in Sharonville and Springdale. Graeter's has some good ice cream and they're open until 10:45 on weekdays, the closest location being Springdale.

Newport Aquarium and the Museum Center are worth checking out, but it sounds like you'll be busy during the day, so you won't get much of a chance to get down there. Newport has some pretty good night life with lots of bars on the levee and the surrounding areas. Other areas like the Clifton/University Heights area near the University of Cincinnati, just north of Downtown, have lots of eclectic shops and restaurants that you would expect from a college atmosphere.

I'll link this thread from the Ohio Thread in the Midwest Regional Forum to see if more people have suggestions.

Well, I don't know about wonderful dining experience, but when I go back home, I always make sure I stop at White Castles - the frozen ones don't compare. And I second LaRosa's, as well.

You might also want to try one of the local chili chains... most people seem to prefer Skyline, but I've always liked Gold Star.

And if you do head over to Newport, and you like German food, Hoffbrauhaus was excellent last time I was there. They've only got two locations in the US, if I'm not mistaken, the other being in Vegas, so it's something of a treat, especially if you like beer.

Can't help on the nightlife... my idea of a good time is some marguerita mix and a rousing game of Trivial Pursuit ;P Ashame you don't have time to go to the zoo, though... I believe it's regarded as second only to the San Diego zoo. King's Island is great, too. If you got out early one day, I know they used to have special "after 4" prices. Assuming you dig that sort of thing. After dark rides on The Beast rule!

[quote name='mykevermin']If you decide to go down to Newport, I'll be more than happy to meet up for a drink or two.[/quote]

I passed Newport on the way to dinner tonight. If you still want to meet for a drink or two on Tuesday evening, that would be cool. Just need to know where and when.....directions would be nice too.:)

[quote name='Nineswords']I passed Newport on the way to dinner tonight. If you still want to meet for a drink or two on Tuesday evening, that would be cool. Just need to know where and when.....directions would be nice too.:)[/QUOTE]

I have practice until 10:30PM Tuesdays and Wednesdays - we could shoot for Wednesday evening down there, if you like. Have a regular CAG meet-em-up for all the adults. Hofbrauhaus?

[quote name='mykevermin']I have practice until 10:30PM Tuesdays and Wednesdays - we could shoot for Wednesday evening down there, if you like. Have a regular CAG meet-em-up for all the adults. Hofbrauhaus?[/quote]

Hofbrahaus sounds great. I might be up for this as well... although I have a 7:30 AM class the following morning. I'll have to think it over.

If I can't make it, we should still shoot for a Cincinnati CAG roundup!

[quote name='mykevermin']I know you're at UC; what class (and who is your prof)?[/quote]

Condensed summer terms... gotta love 3 1/2 week courses! This quarter is all elective catch-ups to finish the degree off. My 7:30'er is NAFTA with Raleigh (plus 4 other courses).

Now to sleep.

[quote name='mykevermin']I have practice until 10:30PM Tuesdays and Wednesdays - we could shoot for Wednesday evening down there, if you like. Have a regular CAG meet-em-up for all the adults. Hofbrauhaus?[/quote]

Not lookin' like it going to work for tonight, I got the call this morning that I need to get back today (boarding in a few minutes). Apparently I am needed more in GB than here for tomorrow (we are aquiring another company). Scoped out directions to Hofbrauhaus this morning....I am sure I will be back.

Thanks for all the suggestions about Cincinnati, I appreaciate it.

bread's done
Back