Circuit City to close 69 stores, expect clearance sales

uls

CAGiversary!
Circuity City's corporate office today announced plans to close 69 of it's poorly performing stores. They have not named which stores yet, but are in the process of notifying them. Apparently those stores will be closed next Monday, and will re-open on Wednesday for a clearance sale. Be on the lookout. My Circuit City has never been that great, so I'm wondering if it will be getting the axe.

Oh, and my condolences to any CC employees who will be affected by this.

No idea as of yet, the stores will probably be announced to the public tomorrow or this weekend.

I don't work at CC, so you don't need to feel bad for me. To be honest, I've had nothing but bad experiences at my local CC, so I sort of hope it's on the list.

Circuit City is always good for that once a year game discount though. I'm really hoping mine dosen't 'tube it. Sales in the short run will not make up for those in the long...

If mine closes, I may have to break my "not spending money" thing that I've got going. I can see mine closing though, as it's about a mile away from Best Buy, and BB attracts a lot more business.

Last Circuit City clearance I went to was a complete bust-- all software was returned to the respective companies and there was no gaming merch anywhere.
Still, you might get a deal on a TV or PC supplies.

I can see mine closing, it's always empty and poorly stocked. Plus everyone just goes to Best Buy which is less than a block away from it.

I didn't realize it was almost entirely the Canadian stores. Looks like there probably won't be a shipping trip for me on Wednesday. Probably for the better...

I'm glad not that many are closing in the US. Circuit City has been one of the best B&M stores to get clerance deals.

I hate going out of business sales. Stuff is usually marked back up to full price and the discounts are small. People see a store is going out of business and think 10% - 30% off is a deal and by the time the percentages get to a good level, anything worth picking up is gone.

I can think of a couple stores around here that they might close, mainly because there's a newer-format/larger-sized store within a few miles away.

One of them being the one in my backyard, unfortunately. Which is nice for doing PM's, for the items they actually have in stock, or I bought elsewhere.

Considering my local store still uses the "place reciept inside this little slot and sign" system, and their computers are insanely out of date, I hope it gets the axe.

the one by me has shitty service staffed by a bunch of punk ass gangster- looking kids, but i doubt they will close down because they seem to be fairly busy most of the time.

Took me a half an hour to get 20% off Lumines II so I hope mine closes. Mine also screwed a co-worker out of a 360 by filling the box with computer paper.

Interesting... The store by me is usually pretty dead and is right across the street from a Best Buy. Awaiting store list so I know if I need to stop by for the fire sale next week.

http://newsroom.circuitcity.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=155982

Address City, State

Bloomington 2520 East 3rd St. Bloomington, Ind.
West 38th Street 3670 Moller Road Indianapolis, Ind.
Evergreen Plaza 9600 S Western Ave. Evergreen Park, Ill.
Randhurst 999 North Elmhurst Road Mount Prospect, Ill.
Old Orchard 4831 Golf Road Skokie, Ill.
Wichita East 8405 E. Kellogg Drive Wichita, Kan.
Pontiac 550 N. Telegraph Road Detroit, Mich.
Lansing East 2655 E Grand River Ave. East Lansing, Mich.
Southfield 28556 Telegraph Road Southfield, Mich.
Traverse City 3123 South Airport Road Traverse City, Mich.
Westland 4030 West Broad St. Columbus, Ohio
Olmsted 27250 Lorain Road North Olmsted, Ohio
North Randall 21639 Miles Road North Randall, Ohio
Parmatown 8009 Day Drive Parma, Ohio
Jackson 1938 Emporium Drive Jackson, Tenn.
Katy Freeway 1045 Katy Freeway Houston, Texas
Lufkin 4600 S Medford Drive Lufkin, Texas
Lynchburg 3700 Candlers Mountain Road Lynchburg, Va.
Northridge 8173 West Brown Deer Road Milwaukee, Wis.

Who gives a crap the one where I live bites. Their games are the worst priced ever! I saw a bunch for like 60 bucks when they should be players choice at like 30 or even less..their computers are way overpriced too...maybe a useful store will take its place.

damnit i liked CC. they had great TV deals and an awesome return policy.

i better not be stuck w/ BB. i hate BB w/ a passion. they treat their customers like criminals, and they still owe me about $200 in "Rewards" they keep trying to put off by telling me theyve had mixups and computer problems.

i might be relegated to shop at wal-mart for my games now :cry:

Circuit CIty is a strong company with over 12 billion dollars in revenue. Thats a huge amount. I work for one circuit city where we do 34 millions in revenue. The ones that are closing only due 10 million. Thats where the problem lies. So there trying to close underpreforming stores and have stores that due 14 million plus. And get them in high traffic areas. Plus there computer system is a very accurate system. You can check inventory of another store in less than 2 seconds. Its old but a complex system to learn but its bettter than bestbuys in order of locating things. Bestbuy and Circuit City are here to stay. There like target and walmart... in competition,

[quote name='adidas']Circuit CIty is a strong company with over 12 billion dollars in revenue. Thats a huge amount. I work for one circuit city where we do 34 millions in revenue. The ones that are closing only due 10 million. Thats where the problem lies. So there trying to close underpreforming stores and have stores that due 14 million plus. And get them in high traffic areas. Plus there computer system is a very accurate system. You can check inventory of another store in less than 2 seconds. Its old but a complex system to learn but its bettter than bestbuys in order of locating things. Bestbuy and Circuit City are here to stay. There like target and walmart... in competition,[/QUOTE]

Well at least your store doesn't depend on spelling and grammar for their revenue...

so is CC target sine they both have red color schemes?

and BB is WM since theyre both gigantic and people get lost in them?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well at least your store doesn't depend on spelling and grammar for their revenue...[/quote]
you know mark cuban has some bad grammar too. that doesnt prevent him from being a billionare:lol::razz:

[quote name='propeller_head']you know mark cuban has some bad grammar too. that doesnt prevent him from being a billionare:lol::razz:[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but that's the difference: He's rich. What's your excuse?

;)

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Yeah, but that's the difference: He's rich. What's your excuse?

;)[/QUOTE]

He has Kermit The Frog as his avatar. That is his excuse. ;)

[quote name='adidas']Circuit CIty is a strong company with over 12 billion dollars in revenue. Thats a huge amount. I work for one circuit city where we do 34 millions in revenue.[/quote]There is a big difference in the total sales a store does and the profit that store makes.

And last I heard, CC's profits are almost entirely in their extended warranties. Any profits from product sales generally cover overhead/lease/payroll/et cetera only.

Or so says Clark Howard.

[quote name='guinaevere']There is a big difference in the total sales a store does and the profit that store makes.

And last I heard, CC's profits are almost entirely in their extended warranties. Any profits from product sales generally cover overhead/lease/payroll/et cetera only.

Or so says Clark Howard.[/quote]

this is true, because im clark howard.

best buy makes about 80% of its profit w/ the extended warranties as well.

wal-mart has the cheapest ones however and they're comeptitve in coverage. WM exended warranties are around 1/2 the price of BB.

[quote name='Surferflames']Considering my local store still uses the "place reciept inside this little slot and sign" system, and their computers are insanely out of date, I hope it gets the axe.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to see one that doesn't do that :shock:

[quote name='adidas']
Plus there computer system is a very accurate system. You can check inventory of another store in less than 2 seconds.
[/quote]
Then why do they always tell me they can't do that? In fact, they often have a hard time checking inventory at their own damn stores. This was particularly frustrating during the clearance last summer.

Quote from the Washington Business Journal "Most of the stores closing are in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, with other closings in Kansas, Texas, Wisconsin and Tennessee."

[quote name='kitlink']Quote from the Washington Business Journal "Most of the stores closing are in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, with other closings in Kansas, Texas, Wisconsin and Tennessee."[/quote]

I'll put my in-laws on alert. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='kitlink']Quote from the Washington Business Journal "Most of the stores closing are in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, with other closings in Kansas, Texas, Wisconsin and Tennessee."[/quote]

Say it ain't so, Knoxville Circuit City. Love those guys. :cry:

[quote name='propeller_head']this is true, because im clark howard.[/quote]As fun as it would be to think Clark Howard was spending time at CAG, I know he isn't. Because he's about as clueless when it comes to games as it's possible to be. A sad fact, but the truth.

best buy makes about 80% of its profit w/ the extended warranties as well.
Yup. Not as much as CC, but dang close.

[quote name='kitlink']Quote from the Washington Business Journal "Most of the stores closing are in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, with other closings in Kansas, Texas, Wisconsin and Tennessee."[/QUOTE] No, no, no, that is from the store closings in 2005. Don't report this stuff unless you check your facts.

There are only 7 stores closing in the US with the remaining 62 in Canada, and there is no word yet on which ones are closing, as reported in the press release.

bread's done
Back