Civ 4- CAG PitBoss Game! Game is over, victory to Jesse Dylan!

[quote name='Logain8955']If you mean starting up a second game, I don't see how you could run multiple PB clients on the same ip.

You just type in the ip and nothing else, it doesn't look like you would be able to choose different games to join.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, wasn't sure about that. Bah.

[quote name='Logain8955']

I tried soloing the Blood Elf city leader last night. Got him down to 700k before some hordie jumped me and killed me.

Daaaaaaaamnit.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Not that you got killed, but that you tried. I was wondering if I could solo those guys when I was collecting the fires last week. Not that I could have found them...I ran around Orgrimmar for about ten minutes trying to find that damn fire. :)

[quote name='leahthevegan']
Cool. Not that you got killed, but that you tried. I was wondering if I could solo those guys when I was collecting the fires last week. Not that I could have found them...I ran around Orgrimmar for about ten minutes trying to find that damn fire. :)[/QUOTE]

Thrall's in the giant hut right next to the fire, haha. But there's no good place to pull him like there is the BE.

Took about 2 hours of straight fighting to get him down to that point. He has 5.575 million health, plus a 1.1m health add and a 564k health add.

If I had better gear, I could have run more damage stuff than healing. I'm at 5.3k gear score on my paladin in tank gear. If I was ICC25 heroiced out, I could have done it before the hordies showed up.

Back to Civ4, the restart question was just to see where people's minds were. I'm digging what's going on now, I've been forced to play completely differently than usual.

[quote name='Treymoney']Are we even halfway through yet? It still feels like early mid-game to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's still early, moving into mid in a few weeks probably.

I had no idea how bloody long this would all take, thought "normal" would provide a decent length game, but we'll probably not be done by Civ 5, haha.

[quote name='Logain8955']I've been forced to play completely differently than usual.[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda playing how I always play. That could get me hosed in the endgame, though. But that's fine! We've had a good run. Maybe if it comes down to it I can become someone's puppet state. :)

csalzman, couldn't you have spread your Jewishness to one of my bigger cities instead? :) That one is incapable of building a Jewish monastery before the scientific method is discovered, and it would take them 40 turns (!) to make a single missionary. :)

Maybe I should convert for a turn and build monasteries? hmmm

I try so hard to be ecumenical. Maybe I should just stick to organized religion and its 25% increase in building speed (build, buddhists, build!).

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Everything okay with the server? I can't seem to connect.[/QUOTE]

Me either. I sent Logain a PM this morning about it.

[quote name='leahthevegan']Damn it, Keith. You spoiled the fun. I wanted to see Jesse get all neurotic.[/QUOTE]

LOL, ah well, how neurotic could he really get when he's what, 500 points ahead?

I had to shut off my net for a little bit last night while I was busy reinstalling windows. Main comp had something go haywire with it and I can be paranoid about security.

I then got tired and bloody forgot to switch it back on >.>

Please try connecting now.

Nor I. Man, I turned on my PC just for that :p That's okay, time for bed anyway. Gotta stay off the PC at bedtime. ohhhhh LCD insomnia

Hope nothing is permanently broke on Logain's end! If so, it was fun while it lasted! Not everyone gets to play Civ IV on a free server.

Wow my net must have actually been offline long enough to change my ip.

That or the server crashed at the same time.

I'm in ICC25 right now, once I'm out, I'll get it running again.

Ach!

This is why you guys need to PM me, haha. I completely did not realize that the IP changed.

Sorry about this. New IP is being sent to all players.

EDIT: It's not the IP, that didn't change. Looks like the server's not working right.

It did start whining more than usual with the heat from the last few days. I'm going to bring it offline and let it cool down for a little bit. ETA: 30 minutes+

EDIT The Dos: Well, I'm stumped. I can still connect through my internal network. According to whatismyip.com, it hasn't changed from the previous. I've brought the server offline, hopefully a good cooldown will fix it.

On a side note, this is the first time that the server has been brought physically offline since at least April 27th, since there were firewall messages from that long ago sitting on screen. Breaking a 4 month streak makes me sad.

On another note, while the server is down, now is the time to start thinking of the future! Specifically, Civilization 5.

My intention is, if Civ 5 supports Pitboss style play, to run a Civ 5 server co-currently on the current machine along with the Civ 4 game. If for any reason it can't handle both games at the same time, priority is going to the current Civ 4 game.

I'd want to start the game shortly after launch, within 2-3 days, so we have a good fresh "I HAVE NO IDEA WTF IM DOING" style game.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, it worked last night! I connected at about 11:30 central time and did my turn. Only missed one, I think. So I'm not sure why Keith and I couldn't connect earlier yesterday. Maybe I false-alarmed.

I hope the server keeps going. I agree that priority should be for our Civ IV game. It would be really sad if we couldn't finish it!

I also think a "I HAVE NO IDEA WTF IM DOING!" style Civ V game would be pretty fun. I'm not gonna buy until there's a good deal or until we get the game started, though, so I'll just watch and wait. :)

You may have just connected at a bad time. With the heat, my router is acting up and acting crappy.

For right now, if you can't connect, try again later. If it still doesn't work, let me know.

[quote name='Logain8955']
I'd want to start the game shortly after launch, within 2-3 days, so we have a good fresh "I HAVE NO IDEA WTF IM DOING" style game.

Thoughts? Concerns?[/QUOTE]

As opposed to the Civ4 "I HAVE A LITTLE IDEA WTF IM DOING, AND GETTING MY ASS KICKED ANYWAY".

Sounds good, count me in for more pain! :)

Awesome, we'll do a Civ 5 game then :D

I'd like to start it the Friday of launch week, so there's time to test and see if things work and get very basic familiarity with it.

So, start thinking of what you want to play!

Edit: FYI, the Civ 5 game will NOT be set to normal speed, hahaha. It'll be much faster.

Having connection problems to the server tonight, anyone else or is it just me? I PM'd Logain to see if it's on his end.

Yeah, my net's really crappy right now. Every summer it just turns into the Amazing Technicolor Hunk of Shit.

IP got changed, all players now have updated details.

Yikes! Maybe I shouldn't be trading with humidore after all! :S

I hope they have a nice deal on Civ 5 when it comes out. I guess I can pony up the $50 to play with you guys, though.

Jesse, I know you prefer games on Steam, but Gogamer.com has Civ V on preorder for $39.99. That's as cheap as it's going to get before it comes out.

Civ 5 uses steamworks, so you'll be required to use Steam for it.

Also, I'm seeing rumors that pitboss won't be supported at launch, but will be added in by patch about a month later. They also said the same for PBEM and Hotseat, both of which ended up being in at launch, so we'll see.

Oh, and as for declaring war, I assume it's available in the civ trading screen. If not, just assign a unit to attack a city or whatever, it should work.

Internet connection is currently down for repairs. They just randomly shut the thing off w/o telling me they would. I'm going to give it another hour or so, then the server is being shut off while we wait, so it doesn't burn through turns. A tech should be here tomorrow to finalize fixes, hopefully the recent instability will be cleared up.

On a side note, posting from my cell phone is a pain in the ass, haha.

Definitely count me in for a Civ5 game. I actually just returned from PAX, during which I got to attend a closed door demo/Q&A driven by a couple of Firaxis devs. The biggest reason I attended was to actually ask the questions "What about Pitboss at launch?" - I didn't get an answer other than "we can't talk about that," but the session in general had some really good info. It wasn't just about pitboss tho, they were tight-lipped about the multiplayer in general.

Update: still broken. Verizon is saying they can't get a tech here until SATURDAY. Bleh. Is there an ISP out there that isn't horrific shit?

Edit: Called Verizon again, talked to someone who actually sounds like they're American. This person said that they can have someone here tomorrow.

Also, the net is kind of working, I ended up doing things they specifically told me Not To Do, which is making it work. Server is not going back online until after the results of tomorrow's tech visit, in the hopes of better stability.

Lastly, here is my personal feelings on this entire situation towards Verizon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7hhs34yZE

Last edited by a moderator:
No tech today, after they called my mother and ignored everything she said and then told her that there was no scheduled technician.

Called back, made another appointment, got a confirmation of said appointment for tomorrow.

If there's reports of a crazy man driving his car off a ramp into the Verizon tech support building with chainsaws duct taped to its hood, you'll know what happened.

LET THERE BE INTERNETS!

Server is coming back online and the new IP is being distributed.

Total amount of replaced parts:

1 Router/Modem
3m+ of cable from beneath my place
2 modules at the "Central Office"

bread's done
Back