Classics HD Line?

KillerRamen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
The Sly Collection in Europe sports a "Classics HD" label. Could this be a sign of things to come?

image310.png

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/27/classics-hd-line-coming-to-playstation-3/

What PS2 classics would you like to see in HD? I'd like to see a Jak Collection and a Final Fantasy PS2 Compilation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I suspect the new brand is just the beginning for Sony revival franchises. Still not holding my breath on Team ICO, but it would be a nice surprise.

Sadly they already have the PSOne thing going on for the PS1 classics, which is what I'd like to see remastered.

Then again, Wipeout was remastered in HD, and that was on the PS1.

But personally, the FF series would be nice. FF7-10.

I got them all on the ps2 already. I only beat the first one though. If anything, a remastered MGS collection or DMC collection, or better yet, release Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross together with a brand new Chrono 3.

[quote name='Anjexu']Then again, Wipeout was remastered in HD, and that was on the PS1..[/QUOTE]

Wipeout HD had nothing to do with the PS1 version. It used maps from the PSP games, and added more modes specifically for the PS3 version.

Also, remastering a PS1 game in HD is a hell of a lot more work than a PS2 game.

So they removed backwards compatibility from the PS3 so they could sell us our old PS2 games all over again.

I'm beginning to hate this console generation.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Wipeout HD had nothing to do with the PS1 version. It used maps from the PSP games, and added more modes specifically for the PS3 version.

Also, remastering a PS1 game in HD is a hell of a lot more work than a PS2 game.[/QUOTE]

Well I wonder where the PSP version came from. :lol:

Kid's so mad.

I don't think you get the concept of a game being remastered. You can't say Wipeout HD is a remastered version of the PS1 game when it isn't. You can try to spin it any way you want, but it would be more mature to just admit your fault

I don't mind them doing this if they're budget prices. GoW Collection was $40 so if this is $40, I'm game. Of course, GoW Collection was 2 games the sly collection is 3... so they could probably use that as an excuse to make it $60.

But yeah, I'd rather have a ICO/SotC collection than anything else.

[quote name='Chuplayer']So they removed backwards compatibility from the PS3 so they could sell us our old PS2 games all over again.

I'm beginning to hate this console generation.[/QUOTE]
:cry:

Just don't buy it if you already have it and don't want it in a remastered/3D version.

I look forward to more PS2 collections in HD. I would like to see Ratchet and Clank, Team Ico, Metal Gear Solid, and Yakuza to name a few.:)

[quote name='Chuplayer']So they removed backwards compatibility from the PS3 so they could sell us our old PS2 games all over again.

It probably wasn't the original plan.

Nobody says you have to buy them.

I really want the MGS trilogy on the PS3, but not as HD remasters. If they made MGS1 using MGS4's control scheme and camera (and new graphics of course) I'd be so happy.

A Ratchet and Clank HD collection would be nice and I'm guessing an Ico pack will be made available a few months before The Last Guardian comes out (where the fuck was that at E3 by the way?). Not sure if it would count as a PS2 classic but Metal Slug Anthology would be nice on the PS3.

[quote name='mitch079']Nobody says you have to buy them.[/QUOTE]

But Sony says I have to buy a non-BC PS3 should my 60GB PS3 die. You're missing the point.

Well, they still haven't retired the PS2, so there's always that option to play old games. If it weren't for the fact that they're in effect remastering these games and adding trophy support, I'd be up in arms as well. I rather prefer these collections because they consolidate the games on one disc, too.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Oh God, are they gonna start spamming PlayStation.Move on all their PS3 exclusives covers now?[/QUOTE]

Would you rather people not know what games are compatible?

I'm totally down and I have all of the PS2 games they could possibly make HD collections of already. Trophies and HD for my favorite PS2 games?? YES PLEASE!

Oh boy, I can't wait for a whole bunch more incompetent half-assed ports that can't even manage to get games that were designed to run on a decade-old console running at 1080p, despite the fact that they're still using the original PS2 assets, but running as native PS3 code. It's absurd, especially on a console that hyped up "Full HD" so much pre-launch, but has seen barely any 1080p-capable games since. It should really not be a problem to get PS2-era assets running at 1080p60, when they're running as native PS3 code.

[quote name='Goemar']I really want the MGS trilogy on the PS3, but not as HD remasters. If they made MGS1 using MGS4's control scheme and camera (and new graphics of course) I'd be so happy.[/quote]
They've already remade MGS1 once.

Not sure if it would count as a PS2 classic but Metal Slug Anthology would be nice on the PS3.
Pray tell, what exactly would be better about a Metal Slug anthology on PS3, over the PS2 version, aside from Trophies?

I'd never rebuy a game I already own/played unless it's an ICO pack, primarily because I missed ICO and SOTC is like the best thing on the planet.

though i guess you can slap on trophies to anything nowadays and you'll already have the OCD segment of your demographic by the balls.

The Classic HD line is great for those who don't have internet access or who want physical media in their collection.

Still hoping...

Yakuza 1 and 2
Silent Hill collection
Resident Evil collection Vol. 1 (RE 2, RE3, Code Veronica X)
Resident Evil collection Vol. 2 (RE0, RE GCN version, RE4 PS2 version upscaled)
Time Splitters Collection
Metal Gear Solid collection (1,2,3,include Metal Gear VR missions from PSone)
Capcom Collection (Mega man anniversary collection and Okami)

Onimusha would probably look great updated, but I imagine it'd be hard to go back to that control style now that similar games like RE have moved on. I also wouldn't mind having some of the harder to find RPGs like Xenosaga on one disc.

I personally would love SotC/Ico. I have both, and they look great when upconverted by the PS2, but I think just adding some more detail to the colossi would be worth it. Im worried about the trophies though, some of those boss speedruns were pretty difficult.

Exactly. I knew something like this HAD to be in the works once they removed PS2 BC. I'd only buy maybe one compilation(GTA series) and for no more than $40. More than that and they can shove them.
[quote name='panzerfaust']though i guess you can slap on trophies to anything nowadays and you'll already have the OCD segment of your demographic by the balls.[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol::applause::applause::applause:

People just HAVE to have that e-peen booster called a trophy or they won't buy a game in some cases.:roll:

It makes me wonder what many of those folks did during prior gens. Did they have to have an audience in their house to applaud when they completed a tough level?

As for me, if Rockstar would give me the 3 GTA games that mattered from last gen(III, Vice City and San Andreas)for $30-40 I'd be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Anjexu']But personally, the FF series would be nice. FF7-10.[/QUOTE]
I'm with you man. Final Fantasy X is probably my 2nd favorite of the series behind FF6. So it in HD would be amazing.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']People just HAVE to have that e-peen booster called a trophy or they won't buy a game in some cases.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Or maybe some of us just like the extra dimension added to the game by trophies. Trophies add a whole new set of challenges to the game that otherwise wouldn't be there, getting you more play time out of your games.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Or maybe some of us just like the extra dimension added to the game by trophies. Trophies add a whole new set of challenges to the game that otherwise wouldn't be there, getting you more play time out of your games.[/QUOTE]
Whole new set of challenges? What was wrong with the old challenges? Plus many of those 'new challenges' are so annoyingly complex and time consuming it's a pain in the ass to do them(aka the Auf Wiedersen Petrovic trophy from GTA IV).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Exactly. I knew something like this HAD to be in the works once they removed PS2 BC. I'd only buy maybe one compilation(GTA series) and for no more than $40. More than that and they can shove them.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I can understand the reasoning behind removing hardware BC (cost saving for a feature that didn't generate direct revenue), but how was money saved by removing the software BC. Especially since Sony had already spent the money developing it?

True, nobody has to buy the re-makes. But Sony does make it frustrating for people who only have the room or desire for one console.

[quote name='mogamer']Exactly! I can understand the reasoning behind removing hardware BC (cost saving for a feature that didn't generate direct revenue), but how was money saved by removing the software BC. Especially since Sony had already spent the money developing it?

True, nobody has to buy the re-makes. But Sony does make it frustrating for people who only have the room or desire for one console.[/QUOTE]

Because the software BC was still reliant on hardware. That's why.

[quote name='Paco']Because the software BC was still reliant on hardware. That's why.[/QUOTE]

As in hardware that was removed or modified?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Oh boy, I can't wait for a whole bunch more incompetent half-assed ports that can't even manage to get games that were designed to run on a decade-old console running at 1080p, despite the fact that they're still using the original PS2 assets, but running as native PS3 code. It's absurd, especially on a console that hyped up "Full HD" so much pre-launch, but has seen barely any 1080p-capable games since. It should really not be a problem to get PS2-era assets running at 1080p60, when they're running as native PS3 code.

They've already remade MGS1 once.

Pray tell, what exactly would be better about a Metal Slug anthology on PS3, over the PS2 version, aside from Trophies?[/QUOTE]

Yeah Twin Snakes was awesome but it has aged compared to MGS4. It would just be nice with the new camera and controls, that's all I'm saying. As for Metal Slug Anthology. It doesn't work well on the PS3. The third game runs too fast and the six one crashes about 10 minutes in. Not to mention the upscaling makes things look at a bit ass - if was an actual PS3 game it would look a lot sharper.

And I agree totally with the 1080p complaint. If Sony can't be bothered to push 1080 like they said they would what future is there for 3D?

As for trophies in these games, I'm going to guess there just rewarded for doing challenges in the game etc. - my point is I doubt they will be for doing anything special/new.

Yeah if there gonna make a classic hd line they better have metal gear in there. I have been wanting to replay those games and can't think of a better fit. It would be extra sweet if they brought the online play from metal gear 3 backs since i never got to play it and heard it was better than mgs4 online. My next pick would be the ssx series but only if they added online play. Those were the games i had the most fun with other than gta but i don't really care for an hd upgrade for gta unless they added online races and customization but even then i wouldn't care for the same gta with better graphics.

[quote name='Goemar']I really want the MGS trilogy on the PS3, but not as HD remasters. If they made MGS1 using MGS4's control scheme and camera (and new graphics of course) I'd be so happy.

A Ratchet and Clank HD collection would be nice and I'm guessing an Ico pack will be made available a few months before The Last Guardian comes out (where the fuck was that at E3 by the way?). Not sure if it would count as a PS2 classic but Metal Slug Anthology would be nice on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

A lot of those games won't happen, just like the guy who mentioned Final Fantasy, Squenix would just assume to dump'em on PSN and make bucketloads of money that way with the least amount of work.

I don't see many 3rd party dev's taking the time to re-do their games with new play control, etc. I'd love to play the original R&C with Going Commandos controls, because that game is very clunky control-wise these days, even though it's still fun.

Best you're going to get to MGS with newer controls is Twin Snakes...

And SNK-Playmore has it's own money issues to be concerned with, so I don't see the Metal Slug games showing up other than as PSN d/l versions of the PS1 games. Sad, but true.

Hey personally I'd like to see Maverick Hunter X 2, MM Powered Up 2 and Megaman Legends 3 (could even be PSN on the first two for all I care), but I'm not keeping my hopes up, even though they are the BEST games of their respective series had to offer.

I'll be surprised when we see 3rd parties take the PS2 to PS3 plunge on their games, kinda shocked we haven't seen it yet.

I wouldn't rule out a MGS collection. Remember, they showed off GMS3 footage in 3D for the 3DS (though supposedly the actual release will be a new game). Konami is already working on the 3D, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the original trilogy released on PS3 with 3D included.

We know team Ico collection is going to come to PS3. I am waiting for a MGS, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank collections.

With Sly coming out I think that Ratchet & Clank and the Jak series are inevitable. Sly should sell pretty well if the aim is to test the market. I hope that the R&C collection includes Deadlocked but 4 games might be pushing it.

The big question though........what happens when a Classics HD title also becomes a Greatest Hits title? I recommend in addition to the horrid red color they make the case spherical so they'll not only be ugly but also impossible to put on a shelf.

[quote name='elwood731']I wouldn't rule out a MGS collection. Remember, they showed off GMS3 footage in 3D for the 3DS (though supposedly the actual release will be a new game). Konami is already working on the 3D, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the original trilogy released on PS3 with 3D included.[/QUOTE]

A new game? From every site I've heard from it's MGS3, but in 3D - not a new game at all. I think that's just some wishful thinking of some Nintendo fans.

There was a MGS collection on the PS2 but MGS was oddly the PS1 version of the game and required you to use a PS1 memory card. Kojima has stated before he wouldn't mind someone remaking the older games (though he was talking about the MSX games) but it is not something he is personally interested in - so not all hope is lost.

It just seems odd to have MGS4 as the conclusion to a series that a lot of players may now not be able to enjoy because of either being unavailable or badly aged. God of War 3 was a conclusion (even if the conclusion itself kind of sucked...) and the fan's demand of the first 2 games being on the PS2 made it so, a similar thing could hopefully happen with MGS.

[quote name='Chuplayer']So they removed backwards compatibility from the PS3 so they could sell us our old PS2 games all over again.[/QUOTE]

duhhh

[quote name='Goemar']Or you could have them fix your BC PS3 - as I did.[/QUOTE]

How long are they going to be able to do that if BC-required parts fail?

[quote name='Jodou']Well, they still haven't retired the PS2[/QUOTE]

But they retired the totally tits PS2 upscaler for HD resolutions.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Exactly. I knew something like this HAD to be in the works once they removed PS2 BC. I'd only buy maybe one compilation(GTA series) and for no more than $40. More than that and they can shove them.[/QUOTE]

News flash: they already did release a GTA triple pack. It was released on PS2, XBOX, and PC.

And while we're at it, they released a GTA triple pack with the first three games on the PSX. GTA1, 2, and that London game.

bread's done
Back