Club Nintendo's 2012 Platinum and Gold Prizes

kevgret

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
From ign.com

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/club-nintendos-2012-platinum-and-gold-prizes-revealed

It's been nearly an entire week since the last Club Nintendo year came to an end on June 30, but now Nintendo of America has finally revealed the prizes available to those loyal customers who achieved Gold or Platinum account status before that day came and went. (If that sentence made no sense to you at all, check out last week's article for some more clarification.)

First up, the Platinum prizes for users who earned 600 Coins or more. There are two Platinum-exclusive options this year, the first of which is a set of three new posters featuring promotional art from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Club Nintendo has previously offered Zelda posters as a standard reward, but this particular design is all-new – and kind of makes it look like Link's getting impaled in the head with the Master Sword. (Perhaps Wind Waker-era Ganondorf was in charge of composition.)

The other Platinum-only option is a new set of Mario-themed playing cards boasting some fairly ornate graphic design. As with the posters, Club Nintendo has offered Mario cards before – these are just different. And snazzier.

The Gold-level prizes, for users who earned at least 300 Coins before June 30, are once again headlined by a calendar. It's the standard Gold gift every year it seems, and this year's version should include artwork of Wii U launch software like Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U. I say "should," since the company hasn't revealed any images of it yet – just like every year, we'll have to wait until closer to 2013 to see what the 2013 calendar will look like. (Platinum status earners can also select the calendar instead of the posters or cards, if they choose.)

Lastly, a new option added for this year – games! Club Nintendo started offering game downloads a few months ago, so Platinum and Gold users can opt to ignore all of the physical prizes to instead score a free digital download instead. The games on offer are Super Mario Kart and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask from the Wii Virtual Console, Metroid II: Return of Samus from the 3DS Virtual Console and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! from DSiWare (only redeemable on a 3DS, though.) Note that if you go the game download route, you only get to pick one of these listed titles.

And that's that for another year. So what do you think? How do these prizes stack up to those we received in years past? Will you get the posters, or the cards, or neither? Let us know your thoughts below, and we'll see you back again this time next year for your next Club Nintendo deadline reminder and 2013 prize announcement.

[quote name='Wario64']Not a deal. And those are awful prizes.[/QUOTE]

Of course it's not a deal... but it's still worth posting..

Wow. That's just terrible. Guess I'll get the cards since they will take up less space. So much for a sweet 8-bit Mario pillow. :(

[quote name='kevgret']Of course it's not a deal... but it's still worth posting..[/QUOTE]

You're posting in a video game deals forum.

[quote name='kevgret']Of course it's not a deal... but it's still worth posting..[/QUOTE]

Eh, this probably would be better posted in a Club Nintendo thread. It's not like people can still get in on this "deal". Either you earned enough coins last year or you didn't.

The thought is appreciated as now I can go into my weekend with disappointment on my mind.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Eh, this probably would be better posted in a Club Nintendo thread. It's not like people can still get in on this "deal". Either you earned enough coins last year or you didn't.

The thought is appreciated as now I can go into my weekend with disappointment on my mind.[/QUOTE]

If there is a club nintendo thread for this maybe a mod can move it there... thanks for the heads up.

Some lame posters, a crappy calendar, and some old games some of which have already been offered. Way to go Nintendo. You officially suck.

[quote name='kevgret']If there is a club nintendo thread for this maybe a mod can move it there... thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]

They actually are already discussing it in there.

I am new to club nintendo this year. I got 490 coins for the 2012 year that just ended. How do I redeem my gold reward, even if it is terrible?

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Wow. That's just terrible. Guess I'll get the cards since they will take up less space. So much for a sweet 8-bit Mario pillow. :([/QUOTE]
I cannot imagine a blocky pillow could be comfortable for my dome...

My guess is they are offering these types of things to save on shipping. I got the statue from a couple of years ago, mailing those out to everyone couldn't have been cheap.

DZcNy.gif

I spent hours finding and typing in 1400 nintendo points on June 30th. What a fucking waste of time. I can go to any target, walmart, or toysrus and probably find nintendo posters and cards for about $7 a piece.

Thanks to the op for posting this though. It's kind of annoying reading several posts to move this to another thread. Don't click on it if you don't have nintendo points redeemed. There, that was simple.

Wow, the way these have been going since the statue, next year, the prize will be a Zelda postcard.

Awful.

[quote name='topplehat']On the upside their regular prizes have improved with the advent of game downloads.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the game download prizes are great, but I think this might be their worst gold/platinum prize yet..

To be honest, I think Club Nintendo has been steadily improving. Offering real VC games as fairly cheap rewards was a huge, awesome step. The quality of physical rewards has been good (such as the awesome 3DS game case), and offering the free Kid Icarus cards, while not a spectacular item, could hopefully be a sign of more occasional free trinkets to come.

Plus, while the platinum prizes are weak, it's great to see games offered to Gold members instead of just that fucking calender.

I started the year of the Statue, but didn't get enough :(. Whay can't we get something quality like that. Always seems to be crap they couldn't sell with a different paint job (or stuff they couldn't give away to the Japanese Club Ninty members).

Thanks, OP!

If you compare Japans reward to what NoA offers, you will know that these "rewards" are a slap to the face to us "Loyal" Nintendo fans

[quote name='Vanacloud']If you compare Japans reward to what NoA offers, you will know that these "rewards" are a slap to the face to us "Loyal" Nintendo fans[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'll be buying used next year. That includes the Wii-U. If everyone got this stuff, I wouldn't care so much. But it irks me something fierce to see Japan get such better rewards.

Gamestop gives better rewards, and they are literally satan incarnate.

Between Blockbuster, Best Buy, etc. and seeing Wii games at friends houses and explaining the promotion and being given codes, I ended up with 2 Platinum accounts and a bunch of new codes to now be entered.

Next year I'll go for 3 Platinums, but I'm rather dissapointed with the prize selection this year. However, please remember that NINTENDO gave out Zelda Four Swords, Excitebike, zelda c.d., etc. for free with no need for coins at all. Introducing the points for games is cool, too (but I wouldn't waste my yearly prize on games).

[quote name='Wario64']Not a deal. And those are awful prizes.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkam']Some lame posters, a crappy calendar, and some old games some of which have already been offered. Way to go Nintendo. You officially suck.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cindaddy']I agree with wario. Rewards are awful.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='portnoyd']Wow, the way these have been going since the statue, next year, the prize will be a Zelda postcard.

Awful.[/QUOTE]

Posts complaining about free stuff always make me laugh.

I just picture these idiots being given $10 by a stranger and saying, "What, you ONLY gave me $10?! Bwaaaaargh, I'm so selfish and immature I expect more whenever I'm given something for free even though it's not required by a person or party to give me anything! My complaining makes me feel better about my minimum wage job and my intact virginity!" Use a Dinosaur Office voice to make it more accurate.

I got the cards, because they were fucking free and I didn't do jack shit except play good games to get them.

I'd have liked something more memorable, but I'll be happy with some posters to frame. I just wish they would have used different art for Kid Icarus and Legend of Zelda, and maybe replaced Zelda with Metroid or Kirby.

Thanks for posting, kevgret.

[quote name='Blade']I disagree with people who are upset or disappointed with a company's loyalty rewards program so I'm going to make fun of them in ways that are completely irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade']Posts complaining about free stuff always make me laugh.

I just picture these idiots being given $10 by a stranger and saying, "What, you ONLY gave me $10?! Bwaaaaargh, I'm so selfish and immature I expect more whenever I'm given something for free even though it's not required by a person or party to give me anything! My complaining makes me feel better about my minimum wage job and my intact virginity!" Use a Dinosaur Office voice to make it more accurate.

I got the cards, because they were fucking free and I didn't do jack shit except play good games to get them.[/QUOTE]

They are only free if they gave them to you. You fail to realize that you or someone else spent the money for you to get a deck of cards, presumably $200-$500 for them, depending on what you bought, if it was on sale, etc.

[quote name='Booj']Yup. I'll be buying used next year. That includes the Wii-U. If everyone got this stuff, I wouldn't care so much. But it irks me something fierce to see Japan get such better rewards.

Gamestop gives better rewards, and they are literally satan incarnate.[/QUOTE]

really? At least Nintendo has a rewards program... do you support Microsoft and Sony or are you just the biggest hypocritical idiot ever?

[quote name='Timenice']Since I'm platinum.
Do I get a gold and platinum gift?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately no, you just have the option of getting the gold reward if you don't like the platinum ones.

Wow.. horrible cards are horrible. Wonder what japan got?

Artwork on posters is nice, but... eh....... Only way I am hanging a poster in my house is w/ frame.. way to go nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mitch079']They are only free if they gave them to you. You fail to realize that you or someone else spent the money for you to get a deck of cards, presumably $200-$500 for them, depending on what you bought, if it was on sale, etc.[/QUOTE]

Dunno about you, but my Club Nintendo codes came with games. Delicious, delicious games.

If you're paying $200-$500 for these prizes, well... I don't know what to say to ya.

[quote name='mitch079']They are only free if they gave them to you. You fail to realize that you or someone else spent the money for you to get a deck of cards, presumably $200-$500 for them, depending on what you bought, if it was on sale, etc.[/QUOTE]

No, you spent the money to get a bunch of video games. The deck of cards is a free bonus that NoA gives to you for registering the games you already bought.

Anybody buying games just for the Club Nintendo codes is an idiot.

You're buying games though, not codes. We all have our games and got our moneys worth out of them presumably, these are just perks that come with our games.

I really don't mind the prizes, sure they may not be the best thing ever but they are better then nothing. That said I will most likely go with the posters as I have the other poster sets that they offered and I can actually get a use out of them where the cards I know I would just keep sealed.

[quote name='Blade']Posts complaining about free stuff always make me laugh.

I got the cards, because they were fucking free and I didn't do jack shit except play good games to get them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what they get for buying Nintendo stuff.
Everyone knows Nintendo never offer anything good, their crappy copy and paste games is proof of that!!

JK :lol: ..please don't go all nintendo fanboy on me, even though it's true

The statue they gave us a couple of years ago was fantastic. The past two years (including this one) has been lame though.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']really? At least Nintendo has a rewards program... do you support Microsoft and Sony or are you just the biggest hypocritical idiot ever?[/QUOTE]

I generally only buy Nintendo new because its such a pain to find used. Microsoft and Sony don't have those issues.

And it seems like when people do eventually get the "Thanks for giving us all your money, idiots" postcards, you fucktards will be ready to attack them for complaining about free stuff.

So... there's that.

bread's done
Back