CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='Hiei69']I'm intentionally not watching this video, not because it bothers me, but because I want to "experience" myself when I play the game for the first time.[/QUOTE]

Yea Ive not watched it either. However, IGN basically tells you the gist of it in their damn headline, so I know "what" goes down to an extent, but nothing past the title.

Me on Nov 10:
-Pick up game at midnight
-Jam on single player for a few missions to get a feel for any new controls etc.
-Multiplayer ALL NIGHT LONG!

Oh man, just read about 25 kill streak, awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='life.exe']So...does the "tactical nuke" end the game instantly? or is everyone killed and then respawned?[/QUOTE]

I've been watching the live streams of the people who got the game early and apparently the nuke ends the game.

By the way, the game looks absolutely amazing. Jaw dropping visuals, huge amount of customization as far as kill streaks, death streaks, perks, and all that stuff. There seems to be a balancing act in multiplayer; if you stink one game, you'll be rewarded with death streaks and if you're doing really well, you'll be rewarded with kill streaks. IMO, this game will be the new standard for the FPS online experience.

On the airport massacre video:
Judging from the emblems during the load screen and the fact that one of your comrades shoots you in the face in the end, it seems that the player's character in the level is an undercover CIA agent. If so, I think it would make more sense for the objective of the level to be to try to spare as many of the civilians/police as possible. For example, firing over civilians heads to try to get them to run instead of firing grenades into packs of them.

Not really a spoiler for Modern Warfare 2 but just in case people would rather be disappointed when they get the game
party-chat is not "fully supported" to avoid cheating during ranked matches

Lame?

[quote name='JuliusC']Not really a spoiler for Modern Warfare 2 but just in case people would rather be disappointed when they get the game

Lame?[/QUOTE]

Yea I read that too. It's a bit disappointing but I'll reserve judgement when I see how it works or doesn't work when I play. I understand why they did it, but I don't think that plan should have been carried out past the "Hey I have an idea..." stage.

[quote name='JuliusC']Not really a spoiler for Modern Warfare 2 but just in case people would rather be disappointed when they get the game

Lame?[/QUOTE]

That fact doesn't really require spolier tags does it?

I take this to mean that party chat will be disabled in ranked matches, but may be kept in social matches, if that distinction is made.

It could also mean that it will be disabled in Objective based gametypes, but not in DM, or TDM.

I applaud them for trying to eliminate cheaters, or even just 'distracted' players talking to friends in other games while playing, but then they should definitely have distinct ranked and social games.

I play CoD4 all the time with my friend, and his young daughter always gets on his headset to talk to me while he plays. We use private chat for obvious reasons. I'd hate to lose that ability entirely.

I hope you can still party chat, I like to only chat with my friends on COD and not put up with the countless number of idiots that play the game. But like Puffa said, I hope they at least allow it for social games since that's all I see myself playing.

[quote name='tcrash247']I hope you can still party chat, I like to only chat with my friends on COD and not put up with the countless number of idiots that play the game. But like Puffa said, I hope they at least allow it for social games since that's all I see myself playing.[/QUOTE]

I think casual players should be okay, since it says 'Not Fully Supported' that implies that there is at least some level of support.

Hopefully they keep the fast mute button in there, I've used that thing at least a thousand times.

When your playing online you can't be in a party chat. If you are you either can't play online or you have to leave the chat. This is something Microsoft started allowing developers to do. Personally I hate this because I don't want to chat with the "special" people on XBL

[quote name='slickkill77']When your playing online you can't be in a party chat. If you are you either can't play online or you have to leave the chat. This is something Microsoft started allowing developers to do. Personally I hate this because I don't want to chat with the "special" people on XBL[/QUOTE]

Only for certain playlists, not all.

I'm in favor of the party chat being disabled on objective games. It promotes fairness. If that's the case, most people play deathmatch variants so the block wouldn't affect them. Play better and learn to communicate.

Its not about playing better and learning to communicate. I have a problem with it because I would rather not be subjected to: White kids that think they're rappers. Screaming 8 year olds. Screaming 8 year olds that think they're black. Racist people. People with their music blasting in the background. People that don't talk. Etc.....

Lame?[/QUOTE]
I use party chat in CoD4 almost every day. The new solution will be join a game with friends and mute everybody except those who I know. What is the point? "cheating?" How can you win a tactical game without communication?

The point about cheating is that in S&D, Sabotage, and Headquarters you aren't supposed to be able to tell your teammates where the enemies are from the grave... Makes perfect sense and I am actually really glad they do it. Also, this was more than likely done as a way to please MLG since there has been a lot of talk about pleasing MLG fanboys and participants alike.

I was planning a COD5 game and the team I was on was playing against a clan and one of their members was on our team. (I think it was HC SD) and he was on his cell phone telling his clan where everyone was and what they were doing. People will find a way to cheat as fast as they fix things. Kind of sad

[quote name='Popnmusic']Almost scored the 360 bundle today at Target. System had a do not sell item alert after being zapped. http://twitpic.com/o1cw7[/QUOTE]

The big chain stores are almost impossible to get stuff early from in my experience, damn computers!

The only time in this gen I can recall getting something early from a big store was Mass Effect from Kmart about a month before release. It even had the orange sticker on the top that said do not sell until lol.

[quote name='mvp828']The point about cheating is that in S&D, Sabotage, and Headquarters you aren't supposed to be able to tell your teammates where the enemies are from the grave... Makes perfect sense and I am actually really glad they do it. Also, this was more than likely done as a way to please MLG since there has been a lot of talk about pleasing MLG fanboys and participants alike.[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter? Its just pub matches. I dont see what it has to do with pleasing MLG since they don't have a playlist that has MLG settings.

If you look at fourzerotwo's Twitter, there have been numerous posts about tring to set up match types that are "MLG friendly". Personally I like the idea as it will keep the playing field level for those game modes that you aren't supposed to be able to talk from the grave. As long as they don't disband your party that way you don't have to reform after every match.

I'm all for this...really, I can't tell you how many times I've used or been a victim of someone using party chat during HC S&D matches. It was unfair, even if it did benefit my team, but it was also frustrating at the same time. I hated getting picked off by the opponent using party chat to give away positions from the dead.

And really, the only reason it worked in COD4 and W@W to begin with was that Party chat was implemented after those games were made. People are seeming to forget that.

A side note - all these assholes that are commenting on the blogs about this going "I'm cancelling my pre-order" are nothing but attention whores. If you're really canceling a game order over an unfair advantage being taken away, then you're an idiot and the games online will be better without your lame ass anyways. As for people complaining "now I get to hear 12 year olds curse me out" - play with a full group, you can still chat amongst yourselves, use the mute features, and really, get a thicker fucking skin. People are so damn lazy...there are ways to avoid things, people just don't want to put in any effort, no matter how easy.

i think no party in modern warfare 2 is a good thing. people can't tell their teamates where enemies are from the grave, and can't do other things that make the game bad for everyone else.

Is anybody going to the midnight release for modern warfare 2 at gamestop?

Hey you might want to simmer down there. Maybe we all don't have a thousand people that we like to play with guy. Did you ever consider that during your rant?

This has the same feel as GOW's "anti-cheating" measures or whatever game it was that didn't allow friends to play with you in ranked matches. Its a video game. If you need to cheat to win and that makes you feel better about yourself then your probably a loser as it is. Just remember its a video game.

[quote name='slickkill77']Hey you might want to simmer down there. Maybe we all don't have a thousand people that we like to play with guy. Did you ever consider that during your rant?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you meant me...yes, I did consider that, which is why I offered other thoughts - like using the mute feature. And really, there are literally a couple of hundred people here on cag that will be playing - it's not hard to find a group of people to game with. My point is that it takes a little effort, but not much.

[quote name='aquateen168']I preordered the limited edition console bundle! who else pre ordered it?[/QUOTE]
I got mine through Gamestop so I could pay credit & cash toward it which I paid off when I picked up the new GTA: Episodes of Liberty City so all I have to is pick it up either at Midnight or more than likely when I get off of work on the 10th. I have to get up early in the morning for work so I'm not in a rush to get it at Midnight.

[quote name='aquateen168']I preordered the limited edition console bundle! who else pre ordered it?[/QUOTE]

Same here. Pre-ordered it from Amazon and took advantage of the $30 trade in bonus.

Im just happy im going to have my own xbox and not share one with my girlfriend anymore.

Viva Pinata Hard Drive Install = GTFO.

[quote name='Viol8tor']Same here. Pre-ordered it from Amazon and took advantage of the $30 trade in bonus.

Im just happy im going to have my own xbox and not share one with my girlfriend anymore.

Viva Pinata Hard Drive Install = GTFO.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm starting to feel your pain. My wife's PC bricked a last week, I've since installed a new hardrive and it works again, but in that week she found Fable II on the shelf and started playing it on my 360. Now she has never touched the 360 until now. And now she's hooked and says stuff like 'it's hard to go back to my tiny PC monitor after playing on this bigass tv'.

I told her she has until Nov 10th when I get home from work to beat that game, cos she aint' touching mah Xbox once I get my hands on MW2!

[quote name='mvp828']The point about cheating is that in S&D, Sabotage, and Headquarters you aren't supposed to be able to tell your teammates where the enemies are from the grave... Makes perfect sense and I am actually really glad they do it. Also, this was more than likely done as a way to please MLG since there has been a lot of talk about pleasing MLG fanboys and participants alike.[/QUOTE]

Not correct, Sabotage and Headquarters have nothing to do with it, you can still communicate from the grave in those gametypes. I have no issue with them taking it out of Search and Destroy, but it is stupid to take it out of any other mode IMO. The only other problem I had with party chat was having a friend from someone on the other team on my team telling them where we were in hardcore modes or even normal when i had jammer, dead silence, and a silencer (no possible way to see or hear me coming).

Oh well, it won't make a difference for me and I also think it has nothing to do with MLG/MLG fanboys. In gamebattles/mlg matches, party chat is restricted and if it is suspected of being used they easily can bring in a ref and get the team using it disqualified.

No party chat good ... how can you guys not see it as a good thing. Slick if your cheating your a probably a loser anyways comment, I completely agree with you but why do I have to go through the game with losers than?

New videos are sick

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='strikeratt']No party chat good ... how can you guys not see it as a good thing. Slick if your cheating your a probably a looser anyways comment, I completely agree with you but why do I have to go through the game with loosers than?

New videos are sick[/QUOTE]

Loosers?

I used party chat literally last night and every night before then for a least a few days. I never cheated or told my friends where people were. They're my friends, why wouldn't I talk to them?

[quote name='Doomed']I used party chat literally last night and every night before then for a least a few days. I never cheated or told my friends where people were. They're my friends, why wouldn't I talk to them?[/QUOTE]

Does it kind of suck? Yes. Can we see why they're doing it? Yes. Unless you specifically play SnD, I don't see how using game chat will really affect you. Yeah, you either gotta mute the annoying people or wait until the game starts so you can't hear them. It's not that big of a deal.

Ugh. I'm more than a little confused at the moment with this crackdown on party chat in MP. What game types have been confirmed to be affected by this aside from S&D?

[quote name='Trakan']Does it kind of suck? Yes. Can we see why they're doing it? Yes. Unless you specifically play SnD, I don't see how using game chat will really affect you. Yeah, you either gotta mute the annoying people or wait until the game starts so you can't hear them. It's not that big of a deal.[/QUOTE]

It kind of is a big deal since one of the reasons I had stopped with MW for a while was due to annoying people in the lobby (before party chat). Again, I have no issue with them blocking it on SnD or even hardcore game modes where there is no constant UAV, but to take it out of any core mode that has respawns and availability to talk to your team from the dead anyways is extremely annoying to me. While I can mute them, that takes up my time that I could be using to set up classes or something and waiting until the games starts is really not an option and you know that. People can be so obnoxious and loud on LIVE that I have simply taken off my headset until the start of the game and turned the volume down so I didn't have to hear them.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ugh. I'm more than a little confused at the moment with this crackdown on party chat in MP. What game types have been confirmed to be affected by this aside from S&D?[/QUOTE]

Everything. The only playlists that don't have this limitation are FFA, 3rd Person Teams, and Merc TDM.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ugh. I'm more than a little confused at the moment with this crackdown on party chat in MP. What game types have been confirmed to be affected by this aside from S&D?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure everything other than Merc TDM and free-for-all, but I could be wrong.

...Seriously? Everything and not just objective based games? ...Unnecessary much?

I can see why some people are little annoyed by this. Being a casual player myself I could rarely tell when the other team was in a party or cheating so to speak. If it were ever an issue I'd either deal with it or leave the game and move onto another. Nerfing PC for everything is just plain retarded IMO but it won't stop me for playing MP.

Besides it isn't exactly rare to have a party filled with strangers playing other games disrupting mine with their loud conversations. It'll just give me even more of an excuse to not join them.

IW has actually been switching it around the past couple of days, so I guess we won't know for sure until release day.

As of a couple days ago, the posts on IW forums said:
Ground War
Merc TDM
FFA
3rd Person Teams
(this was as of Tuesday via the IW forums)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']...Seriously? Everything and not just objective based games? ...Unnecessary much?

I can see why some people are little annoyed by this. Being a casual player myself I could rarely tell when the other team was in a party or cheating so to speak. If it were ever an issue I'd either deal with it or leave the game and move onto another. Nerfing PC for everything is just plain retarded IMO but it won't stop me for playing MP.

Besides it isn't exactly rare to have a party filled with strangers playing other games disrupting mine with their loud conversations. It'll just give me even more of an excuse to not join them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it doesn't even need to be nerfed for all objective based games unless there is no longer respawns or talking from the grave. The only time it was ever a pain was in SnD since even in sudden death for sabotage you ALWAYS show up on radar (even with UAV Jammer). It has never been an issue in any other mode and while it is frustrating, I will move past it and still play MP.

I could care less. It will be good to interact with some players again (due to the amount of people who sit in Party Chat). You are silly to think people don't tell each other where people are when they are dead (in non-spawn) games. Don't worry you can still join each others game... just no longer talk to each other from the grave. I am with Activision on this one.

[quote name='lordopus99']I could care less. It will be good to interact with some players again (due to the amount of people who sit in Party Chat). You are silly to think people don't tell each other where people are when they are dead (in non-spawn) games. Don't worry you can still join each others game... just no longer talk to each other from the grave. I am with Activision on this one.[/QUOTE]

But at the moment there is only 1 type of game mode that has this problem and it is Search and Destroy. All other modes have respawns until sudden death in sabotage, in which case it doesn't matter if someone tells you where they are since you are all showing up on radar anyways.

I don't know about you, but it is very rare for me to have good interactions with other players than the people I play with, it is usually just trash talkers or little annoying kids, all of which usually quit the match a minute or two into the game anyways.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']But at the moment there is only 1 type of game mode that has this problem and it is Search and Destroy. All other modes have respawns until sudden death in sabotage, in which case it doesn't matter if someone tells you where they are since you are all showing up on radar anyways.

I don't know about you, but it is very rare for me to have good interactions with other players than the people I play with, it is usually just trash talkers or little annoying kids, all of which usually quit the match a minute or two into the game anyways.[/QUOTE]

Actually... outside of Halo, I have never ran into annoying little kids. As for trash talkers, I could care less. You beat them and they cry. It's a part of the great fun.

I have found that the few people I can find who aren't in party chat and have a headset are really good team members and work well with each other.

[quote name='Trakan']Does it kind of suck? Yes. Can we see why they're doing it? Yes. Unless you specifically play SnD, I don't see how using game chat will really affect you. Yeah, you either gotta mute the annoying people or wait until the game starts so you can't hear them. It's not that big of a deal.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't find a decent screenshot, but you know when you're spectating in S&D, Headquarters or Sabotage? Imagine that same setup, but with the text "microphone disabled until respawn" in the top left where it tells you who is talking at that time. Why not? It would be easy to implement and keep the game fair.

5 minutes of image manipulation + thinking for a few seconds.

gIMch.png

bread's done
Back