CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='Strell']Fair enough. I'm not going to get into it since everyone's minds are made up on the matter. Likewise I'm not going to pretend that there aren't blatant alternatives that expose just how bad the pricing structure is (Perfect Dark says hi).

I'm just curious why five bucks takes it from "definite" to "holy shitstain abysmal fuckery." If it's due to worries about future packs, then we need to wait and see how that pans out.[/QUOTE]

It could easily be due to the fact that really only 3 of the maps took any work whatsoever from them and very minor editing to the 2 from COD4. I wasn't planning on getting it regardless of price since I don't play the game anymore, mainly due to seeing plenty of the issues I had problems with still being complained about in here which is why I check the thread even. I can't honestly say that I wouldn't have bought the maps at 1200 points if I had actually enjoyed the game, but given all the problems the game has had since day 1 they really shouldn't expect people to be willing to fork out $5 more than the standard for all the other COD map packs that have released.

I have only put about 20 hours into this game, so I'm not sure that I can justify the cost of the maps. I do love the game, though... I've just had shit going on. And I loved the map pack for COD4. Never bought any maps for WaW since I quit playing that piece of crap after 2 months.

The things tempting me to buy the maps are that (A) there will likely be double XP on them for a while and (B) I'll probably not be allowed to join games without them. But when I just paid $10 for the full game of Perfect Dark, which plays awesome online, it's hard to justify the $15 price tag for the map pack.

Way to many shenanigans online lately have led me to eBay the game. As much as I enjoyed it, it wasn't worth the stress / anger.

I REALLY wish M$ / Activision would implement dedicated servers.

[quote name='Strell']hahawuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

I agree it seems to favor certain maps. I never get to play Highrise or Terminal as much as I'd like (my favorites).

Don't really get all the hate re: map pack. Seems like if it had come at 800, no one would have bat an eye. But 1200, another five bucks, sends everyone into Hateville. Which isn't to say I'm definitely getting it - the lag has gotten much worse as of late, and Starcraft II shows up later this year, and I've got a big enough backlog as is.

Still, fun game overall. Don't understand all the hyperbolic "worst game ever" jazz.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I think I would prefer to say Terminal, not Afghan always gets played LOL.

I agree that that lag has gotten worse (at least on PS3), and I think its because of the update. Some nights I can't even play a game.

[quote name='Strell']Fair enough. I'm not going to get into it since everyone's minds are made up on the matter. Likewise I'm not going to pretend that there aren't blatant alternatives that expose just how bad the pricing structure is (Perfect Dark says hi).

I'm just curious why five bucks takes it from "definite" to "holy shitstain abysmal fuckery." If it's due to worries about future packs, then we need to wait and see how that pans out.[/QUOTE]
I'll be getting it, regardless. I've got MS points banked from deals over the past 6 months...but you're talking about people on this board who get refuse to pay more than $20 for any game, no matter what it is. There were people that bitched that Asassin's Creed II wasn't cheaper than $40 on sale the first week of January. There are people right now hoping GoWIII will be on sale for $40 next week, and will bitch when it isn't.

I get it...it's $5 more than the other ones, but it's also a situation where if $5 is hurting you that bad, then I think you should probably not be buying $60 video games to begin with. I mean, this is CAG. Can't you guys find something to buy at blockbuster for $5 used and flip to GS or vice versa and get a points card? Get creative with it...

[quote name='Ronin317']I'll be getting it, regardless. I've got MS points banked from deals over the past 6 months...but you're talking about people on this board who get refuse to pay more than $20 for any game, no matter what it is. There were people that bitched that Asassin's Creed II wasn't cheaper than $40 on sale the first week of January. There are people right now hoping GoWIII will be on sale for $40 next week, and will bitch when it isn't.

I get it...it's $5 more than the other ones, but it's also a situation where if $5 is hurting you that bad, then I think you should probably not be buying $60 video games to begin with. I mean, this is CAG. Can't you guys find something to buy at blockbuster for $5 used and flip to GS or vice versa and get a points card? Get creative with it...[/QUOTE]

But it has nothing to do with the fact that $5 is hurting people, it has to do with the fact that the game has had so many problems with it since day 1 and they still expect people to shell out $5 more for their maps. The game has been an all around huge letdown from gameplay to game breaking glitches to hacks running all over the place. It isn't like they are giving us more for the extra money either, 3 new maps for all modes and 1 for small team matches in COD4 were 800 points. 3 new maps and 2 remakes that I doubt they are changing but so much is really worth $5 more? Only for people that play this game a ton and have had the possibility of growing bored with the maps, the rest of us that keep sitting out through the problems wont have that issue, our new issue could possibly be not being able to find a match we can stay in.

[quote name='Ronin317']I get it...it's $5 more than the other ones, but it's also a situation where if $5 is hurting you that bad, then I think you should probably not be buying $60 video games to begin with. I mean, this is CAG. Can't you guys find something to buy at blockbuster for $5 used and flip to GS or vice versa and get a points card? Get creative with it...[/QUOTE]

Clearly you don't "get it." 99% of the people complaining about the price can afford the $15 map pack. We just don't think it's worth that price.

[quote name='Strell']... the lag has gotten much worse as of late...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I've noticed this as well. What is up with this?[/QUOTE]

This is a peer-to-peer game and pretty much only EA games have dedicated game servers for 360 multiplayer. If you are getting lag it's because you have a bad connection to whoever the host is or maybe a bad connection period at the time.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Clearly you don't "get it." 99% of the people complaining about the price can afford the $15 map pack. We just don't think it's worth that price.[/QUOTE]
Agreed

I plan to make a statement by not buying the map pack but I'll see how I ultimately feel on 3/30. Also, the problem I see is IW making it very annoying for those without the map pack (and probably those with) by greatly increasing the skew of the new maps in the rotation leaving a lot of disconnects and lop-sided matches.

On a note about map occurrence, I've been playing almost every night since release and I can say that in the past couple of months there seems to be what I have coined the "Map of the Night" where there is 1 map we will consistently play every night along with maybe 2 others and that is without backing out. I think it has something to do with a set rather than random rotation and how MW2 does lobby merging. Since most of the other team leaves after we play a match 99% of the time we get pushed into another lobby that is "reset" on the map rotation for the night. I've had nights where we play the same map 3 times in a row.

I also don't understand all the hate for the pricing of this map pack. Yeah I wish it was $10 also, but look at it this way:

MW1 map pack: 3 maps, $10, = $3.33 per map

MW2 map pack: 5 maps, $15 = $3.00 per map

This map pack is cheaper per map than the MW1 pack.

[quote name='Puffa469']I also don't understand all the hate for the pricing of this map pack. Yeah I wish it was $10 also, but look at it this way:

This map pack is cheaper per map than the MW1 pack.[/QUOTE]

MW1 had 4 maps

Creek
Broadcast
Chinatown
Killhouse

so your math should be:

MW1 map pack: 4 maps, $10, = $2.50 per map

I honestly didn't expect to find the ever so moronic "LULZ QUIT WHINING CHEAPSKATE" defense here of all places. Sad. The reasoning behind my reluctance is pretty damn simple. I'd be shelling out $15 for three brand new maps because I seldom enjoyed playing on the remaining two thus this deal is bad for me. Sheesh.

[quote name='Puffa469']I also don't understand all the hate for the pricing of this map pack. Yeah I wish it was $10 also, but look at it this way:

This map pack is cheaper per map than the MW1 pack.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blk00civicsi']MW1 had 4 maps

Creek
Broadcast
Chinatown
Killhouse

so your math should be:

MW2 map pack: 5 maps, $15 = $3.00 per map[/QUOTE]

However, doesn't the new map pack contain 2 maps already located in COD4 (Crash and Overgrown)? So really, the price includes 2 maps that most people already have. So shouldn't the math look like this when you factor in the price for new maps...?

MW1 map pack: 4 maps, $10, = $2.50/map

MW2 map pack: 3 maps , $15, = $5.00/map

It "should" look like that if you consider Crash & Overgrown as old maps. Chinatown was a re-hash as well so the pricing structure could look different in other people's eyes. :)

[quote name='blk00civicsi']It "should" look like that if you consider Crash & Overgrown as old maps. Chinatown was a re-hash as well so the pricing structure could look different in other people's eyes. :)[/QUOTE]

Well that would put it back at $3.33/map for COD4 compared to $5/map in MW2 if you want to go at it this way for both games. I don't really care what people choose to do, it really isn't that bad of a deal for people who plan to play the game a decent amount still. I wouldn't have minded paying for the COD4 maps myself if they weren't so terrible (I bought them day 1, old maps felt stale until playing these trash maps over and over). I wouldn't make the same mistake on this one regardless of if I still played or not, I would at least wait on impressions from people first.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Clearly you don't "get it." 99% of the people complaining about the price can afford the $15 map pack. We just don't think it's worth that price.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...I do get it. You're ignoring the rest of my post if you think I don't.

I understand some people don't feel it's worth it. For me, I play this game like 3-4 nights a week, so whatever...

Is there precedent out there for other pricing tiers? Is there anything actually on the marketplace between 800 and 1200 points for sale? And I'm not talking about Rock Band albums, because those tent to have their own pricing structure. Perhaps they're being forced to up it a bit because of the pricing tiers.

I want to be clear, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to buy it, and I really don't care what anyone decides, I'm just trying to be logical about some of the whining here.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']It "should" look like that if you consider Crash & Overgrown as old maps. Chinatown was a re-hash as well so the pricing structure could look different in other people's eyes. :)[/QUOTE]

Ah I didn't know that so well played! :applause: :D

Regardless, the monetary value is all relative in the end. No need to argue about it IMHO.

[quote name='Ronin317']Yeah...I do get it. You're ignoring the rest of my post if you think I don't.

I understand some people don't feel it's worth it. For me, I play this game like 3-4 nights a week, so whatever...

Is there precedent out there for other pricing tiers? Is there anything actually on the marketplace between 800 and 1200 points for sale? And I'm not talking about Rock Band albums, because those tent to have their own pricing structure. Perhaps they're being forced to up it a bit because of the pricing tiers.

I want to be clear, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to buy it, and I really don't care what anyone decides, I'm just trying to be logical about some of the whining here.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. Personally, I'm not buying it because I hate the game. ;) However, for someone like you who plays the game on a constant basis, it would be worth your money and time to get the pack because you will get more use out of it than others.

[quote name='Ronin317']Yeah...I do get it. You're ignoring the rest of my post if you think I don't.[/QUOTE]

The rest of your post was about how some people set an arbitrary price on a game, and won't buy it until it hits that price. Not sure how that helps your argument at all.

Okay, then for you, it's not a bad deal. You feel like you're getting your money's worth. Why can't other people feel like this isn't a good deal for them?

Just to be clear, this map pack is going to cost 1200 points ($15). For that same amount, you could buy Shadow Complex or Castle Crashers, two very good, standalone games on XBLA. Alternatively, you could buy the newly released Perfect Dark remaster for 800 points, and you'd still have 400 points left in your pocket.

In relation to other map packs, the pricing of CoD4's map pack and WaW's map packs have been discussed at length in this thread, so I'll not regurgitate them now. Halo 3 has had two map packs released in the past year, though. Each of those contained three new maps and was priced at 800 points, or $3.33 per map. And all of those maps could be obtained at no extra charge by purchasing Halo: ODST, which had low prices ($40 and lower) from release day.

I think most of the fervor over this issue is that Activision is price gouging a very loyal fanbase, a fanbase that already gave them LOADS of money in the most successful entertainment launch in history. And if they were selling five new maps, and offering the two CoD4 maps as freebies to everyone, that might have made a big difference too. But instead, we get a high price, small amount of "new" maps, and rehashes of old maps we all played in CoD4. Most of us just find the whole situation frustrating, and I think we have every right to be frustrated, just as you have every right to purchase the map pack if you so choose.

[quote name='Ronin317']Yeah...I do get it. You're ignoring the rest of my post if you think I don't.

I want to be clear, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to buy it, and I really don't care what anyone decides, I'm just trying to be logical about some of the whining here.[/QUOTE]

Lets see, Gears of War 2... Dark Corners DLC: 7 MP maps and a single player chapter (same price as MW2 maps). COD W@W map pack bundle: 9 MP maps, 3 Zombie Maps, and new weapons for the Zombie mode for 2,000 points. GRAW 2 Co-Op Collection (not exactly new, but the pricing doesn't change unless they put it on sale): 5 Co-Op missions and 9 Adversarial maps for 400 points. Rainbow Six Vegas: I believe both packs were 800 points, the Black Edition had 5 maps (2 of which were redone, same as 2 of the MW2 maps) and the Red Edition had 2 new game modes and at least 3 maps, can't exactly remember.

I am not trying to persuade or discourage anyone from doing what they were planning on doing with the maps to begin with, but plenty of fairly similar games have released the same amount if not more stuff with a DLC pack for the same price (with more product) or less. I could be missing a lot from other games, that was just a search in the LIVE marketplace under shooters.

Like I said before, if this were a game I played a lot and would actually play the maps on, I would probably be willing to pay the 1200 points for it. That is only a couple hours of work at most for me and if it helped me keep interest in a game I would do it.

IMO $15 for any add on has to be a hell of a lot more than 5 maps. If it included Spec-Ops and something else I would jump on it.

Anything over $10 (Already 1/6 of the cost of the original game) is a little bit pricey for a download on XBL unless its a badass arcade release, complete game you just bought, or a completely new game experience for a current game. It's just too much and I really enjoy this game.

I guess when avatar clothing is priced at $3 and frequently purchased, there's really no hope for DLC pricing.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']MW1 had 4 maps

Creek
Broadcast
Chinatown
Killhouse

so your math should be:

MW2 map pack: 5 maps, $15 = $3.00 per map[/QUOTE]

Shit I forgot about Killhouse. Was it in rotation? I couldnt have played it more than a handful of times and I played COD4 every day.

Also, I don't consider Crash and Overgrown being 'old' maps as a bad thing. Those are my two favorite maps from MW1. I'd rather have them instead 2 more brand new maps.

[quote name='Puffa469']Shit I forgot about Killhouse. Was it in rotation? I couldnt have played it more than a handful of times and I played COD4 every day.[/QUOTE]

I think it was only in FFA

[quote name='BL00DW0LF']I think it was only in FFA[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was too small for any other game type.

So if people count Crash and Overgrown as 'old maps' then I don't count Killhouse as a real map because it's practically useless. MW1 map pack is essentially three maps imo. :p

[quote name='BingoBrown']The rest of your post was about how some people set an arbitrary price on a game, and won't buy it until it hits that price. Not sure how that helps your argument at all.[/QUOTE]
Since reading comprehension seems to be a problem in this thread...I'll explain. :roll:
Yes, I stated that some people set arbitrary prices for things, and then went on much further. My post talked about being a CAG, and getting something cheaply, to then flip somewhere to buy a points card. Then magically, CAG-style, the map pack becomes cheaper. How many of you are really walking into a store and paying $20 for 1600pts? I have no problem jumping on a 1200pt pack because I've paid maybe $10 for my points cards. Understand now? I wasn't talking about value vs. other DLC. I was talking pure "you actually spent $X to get the maps". I agree other DLC has provided more 'bang for the buck' than this, but it isn't going to change.

Also...my point on the pricing precedence...I'm talking TIERS. I get that other DLC has provided more content than this, relatively speaking. HOWEVER, I'm talking about pricing here, not breakdown - so there is obviously an 800pt price tier, and then a 1200pt tier. Has there been anything priced IN BETWEEN those two points? I'm not sure I've ever seen anything for, say, 960pts or 1000pts or something like that, save for a Rock Band track pack. So, theoretically, it's possible they got forced 'up' to 1200pts because they wanted to charge, say, 960pts ($12) for the pack, and MS told them the tiers are 800 and 1200, pick one.

[quote name='Pck21']However, doesn't the new map pack contain 2 maps already located in COD4 (Crash and Overgrown)? So really, the price includes 2 maps that most people already have. So shouldn't the math look like this when you factor in the price for new maps...?

MW1 map pack: 4 maps, $10, = $2.50/map

MW2 map pack: 3 maps , $15, = $5.00/map[/QUOTE]

actually one of the maps for MW1, Chinatown, was pretty much the same map from COD2, so you need to factor that in. 3 maps were really new for MW1

This is CAG, we are cheap. But I'm not surprised other people are pissed off at the price point. Remember when Penny Arcade Adventures came out?

Resident Evil 5:Untold Stories Bundle- 960
Fable 2: See the Future- 560
Red Faction Guerilla: Multiplayer Map Pack: 560
Fear 2: Armored Front Map Pack: 560
Perfect Dark Zero Map Pack: 500

Just a few that break from the 400 point increment tiers.

[quote name='Ronin317']Since reading comprehension seems to be a problem in this thread...I'll explain. :roll:
Yes, I stated that some people set arbitrary prices for things, and then went on much further. My post talked about being a CAG, and getting something cheaply, to then flip somewhere to buy a points card. Then magically, CAG-style, the map pack becomes cheaper. How many of you are really walking into a store and paying $20 for 1600pts? I have no problem jumping on a 1200pt pack because I've paid maybe $10 for my points cards. Understand now? I wasn't talking about value vs. other DLC. I was talking pure "you actually spent $X to get the maps". I agree other DLC has provided more 'bang for the buck' than this, but it isn't going to change.[/QUOTE]

What you paid for points is irrelevant. Points have a value in Microsoft-land. MW2 map pack is worth 1200 points. You can also use that 1200 points to buy other things. What matters is the value of that DLC versus other similar DLC. Throw the "I got free 1600 point cards at Target last winter" out of the equation.

[quote name='Ronin317']
Also...my point on the pricing precedence...I'm talking TIERS. I get that other DLC has provided more content than this, relatively speaking. HOWEVER, I'm talking about pricing here, not breakdown - so there is obviously an 800pt price tier, and then a 1200pt tier. Has there been anything priced IN BETWEEN those two points? I'm not sure I've ever seen anything for, say, 960pts or 1000pts or something like that, save for a Rock Band track pack. So, theoretically, it's possible they got forced 'up' to 1200pts because they wanted to charge, say, 960pts ($12) for the pack, and MS told them the tiers are 800 and 1200, pick one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are a lot of different prices. Look around the marketplace. Moojuice just listed a bunch of different items with different prices. Generally they stay in increments of 80 points ($1), but they don't even have to do that.

And sure, it's possible Microsoft forced Activision to charge more for the pack, but I doubt it. Activision is one of the power players in the industry, and I don't think Microsoft would try to strong arm them. And we all know how Bobby Kotick feels about turning a profit with Activision. If the map pack is also $15 on the PSN when it releases, that should be solid confirmation that Activision made the call on the pricing.

[quote name='yukine']This is CAG, we are cheap. But I'm not surprised other people are pissed off at the price point. [/quote]

I'm aware of this. I'm questioning the fact that five bucks builds a bridge from heaven to hell, given the reaction of most people. There'd be people whining at any price, but I'm asking about this seemingly arbitrary breaking point that everyone apparently agreed upon at some point, and decided to unleash their inner Tyra Banks about it.

Remember when Penny Arcade Adventures came out?

Not entirely comparable, since we're talking a game that was in development for a while versus an add-on. They are five bucks each on Steam now, and the third might not be out for a while, so I have no issue waiting on those.

Besides, this add-on starts to divide the audience into haves vs have-nots. That's a bigger thing to worry about.

Also, I don't know what it is about Ronin that gets so many people on his case. He's not being inflammatory or saying things that haven't been said a million times over, but he attracts an awful lot of attention for some odd reason. Is it his avatar? His manly musk? Inquiring nerds want to know.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']It looked like a Famas LMG or some shit.[/QUOTE]

It's 2 guns on top of each other. Since the maps aren't fully coded for the sprites, it shows like that.

Don't expect much though, I'm sure there's no added guns in this pack.

[quote name='Strell']I'm aware of this. I'm questioning the fact that five bucks builds a bridge from heaven to hell, given the reaction of most people. There'd be people whining at any price, but I'm asking about this seemingly arbitrary breaking point that everyone apparently agreed upon at some point, and decided to unleash their inner Tyra Banks about it.

Not entirely comparable, since we're talking a game that was in development for a while versus an add-on. They are five bucks each on Steam now, and the third might not be out for a while, so I have no issue waiting on those.
[/QUOTE]
My point being is that people were shitting bricks when that game pushed the $10.00 limit (as did Braid) so it's unsurprising to me that people would be upset at the price increase on map packs. I think the hate is somewhat justified, $10.00 XBLA games are a rare occurrence now and I see no reason why other publishers not named Activision wouldn't follow suit and price all future map packs similarly.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Gemeplay & x2 xp weekend.

http://modernwarfare247.com/news/leaked-video-stimulus-package[/QUOTE]

Double XP for just the Xbox 360 (so far) is kinda weak, but the maps look...like they did before?

Crash and Overgrown are pretty much 99.99999% the exact same as from MW1. Storm looks wicked nice, and may be a sniper's paradise, but I think it may be too big?

6-6 may be too small for that map, unless everyone just wanted to fight in the Warehouse area. I think 8-8 would be better....

I am hearing this is what is going to be in the DLC "for sure".

At Least 1 New page total of Callsigns & Emblems.
3 New MP Maps.
A Few Spec-Ops Missions along with New achievements.

This is what COULD be put in:

1 New Camo

Now, I don't know if this is true but I do know that one of these inside information details has already came true - the 3 NEW MP maps. Not counting the old ones, but the three new.

Spec-Ops missions may be a little out there I think but at some point I am sure IW will DLC some new Spec-Ops maps.

The Camo is not out of the question either (Gold, perhaps???).

Don't get mad at me if it doesn't come true though, as it probably won't. The map pack is just over a week away.....but then again late info would not surprise me. IW said they would have photos and video of the new maps, but nothing yet...so maybe they are waiting to unveil a nice big surprise just a tiny bit before the DLC launches.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I am hearing this is what is going to be in the DLC "for sure".

At Least 1 New page total of Callsigns & Emblems.
3 New MP Maps.
A Few Spec-Ops Missions along with New achievements.

This is what COULD be put in:

1 New Camo

Now, I don't know if this is true but I do know that one of these inside information details has already came true - the 3 NEW MP maps. Not counting the old ones, but the three new.

Spec-Ops missions may be a little out there I think but at some point I am sure IW will DLC some new Spec-Ops maps.

The Camo is not out of the question either (Gold, perhaps???).

Don't get mad at me if it doesn't come true though, as it probably won't. The map pack is just over a week away.....but then again late info would not surprise me. IW said they would have photos and video of the new maps, but nothing yet...so maybe they are waiting to unveil a nice big surprise just a tiny bit before the DLC launches.[/QUOTE]

You dont read the threads you post in do you?

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Thought someone of you should know that Battle Field: BC2 is for a little cheaper on Amazon. You can even score the PC version (the way the game was meant to be played) for 40 bones! The Ps3 and 260 are 50.

http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-B..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1269102030&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Not a great price for the xbox considering that WalMart had it for presale for
$60 and you got a $20 gift card.

Simmer down peeps, simmer down.

I never said it would come true, and I do realize that those things are very likely to be false. But nothing has been "proven" really has it. Anything is possible right now.

[quote name='zewone']It would be awesome if you kept your garbage in the PS3 thread.[/QUOTE]

WTH?

What "garbage" are you even talking about? I am not going to dip down to your level and argue with you over such an unimportant issue. Is this not MW2 discussion? IT IS? Wow, I'm really out of line posting things related to MW2.:roll:

clan here?

i like winning and im ok, i just don't like having a guy on my team talk and go 1-15 (not all 12 year olds are good :p)

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Simmer down peeps, simmer down.

I never said it would come true, and I do realize that those things are very likely to be false. But nothing has been "proven" really has it. Anything is possible right now.[/QUOTE]

garnett_kevin.jpg

bread's done
Back