COD:MW2 preorder gift card NOW $20 @ walmart.com

oh my god, i love this price war!!!! and kudos to Amazon for matching the $20 deal.
this is like a chess game!

Just saw the $20 GC offer for Amazon via Twitter. Crazy. You can follow them at amazongames. They update the DotD and Trade in of the day as well as offers like these.

Best deal I've seen so far, except Walmart's site to store is atrocious. So if anyone's going to order pay for the shipping. I'm still waiting on Amazon to give those who ordered the prestige edition $15

Hm... I'm still waiting for Amazon's ECA Codes to get back up for the PE, but I'm kinda afraid they won't fix it in time for me to get in on a copy. :/ Wal-Mart's Deal is for PE, too, right? And if the codes come back up before it's too late, will Wal-Mart let me cancel my pre-order?

EDIT: Never mind. Wal-Mart doesn't offer the GC for the PE. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
to recap:
both stores have it w/ $20 card, for both editions: regular and hardened
prestige edition comes
w/ $10 card on amazon only

Just read you don't have to cancel and reorder the game to get the $20.. they'll give it to existing preorders.. don't make my mistake :>

I just ordered this and although it did say $20.00 egift card, when my order was processed they only sent me $15.00. I emailed customer service so I will keep ya posted in what they do.

Yes, they come within an hour of your order being processed. I just ordered mine an hour ago, but when they sent me the egift card it was only for $15.00 even though it did say $20.00 at check out.

[quote name='chipper1280']Yes, they come within an hour of your order being processed. I just ordered mine an hour ago, but when they sent me the egift card it was only for $15.00 even though it did say $20.00 at check out.[/QUOTE]

Was this WM or AMazon?

[quote name='sickle']Was this WM or AMazon?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he means the WM promotion as Amazon doesn't send out gift codes for these types of video game promos and the promotional credits don't enter your Amazon account til the game gets released.

Well I just bought an Xbox elite with standard shipping just 3 days ago from WM , the estimated shipping from WM had said it should arrive between next Monday and next Wednesday, I received it yesterday!! I'm wondering if I should take a chance on this, I can wait a few days after release, dunno about a week.

I would buy this, and to be honest I am tempted because this is such a great deal. I just hate buying games out of the gate, because I have never played it...but MW was great and this should be too...but it could suck...but it could not. :lol:

Not sure, but I still have time to think about it. Everyone does in fact.

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are writing to you today because you purchased a copy of either the Standard Edition or the Hardened Edition of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

We recently upgraded the promotional offer for the Standard Edition and Hardened Edition of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 from a $15 Video Game Store Credit to a $20 Video Game Store Credit. This credit will be automatically applied to your account within 2 business days after the item ships.
We realize that many of our customers are huge Call of Duty fans, and we’re pleased to thank you for your business with this offer.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com

[quote name='belal.rawi']Hello from Amazon.com.

We are writing to you today because you purchased a copy of either the Standard Edition or the Hardened Edition of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

We recently upgraded the promotional offer for the Standard Edition and Hardened Edition of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 from a $15 Video Game Store Credit to a $20 Video Game Store Credit. This credit will be automatically applied to your account within 2 business days after the item ships.
We realize that many of our customers are huge Call of Duty fans, and we’re pleased to thank you for your business with this offer.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com[/QUOTE]

Got the same email. Looks like I'll end up with an extra game worth of credit after all. Works for me.

Can you use the e-gift cards immediately, or are they invalid until release? I'm just curious if you get the GC instantly, what stops you from using the GC and then canceling the preorder.

[quote name='ezellaur']Can you use the e-gift cards immediately, or are they invalid until release? I'm just curious if you get the GC instantly, what stops you from using the GC and then canceling the preorder.[/QUOTE]

You could use it immediately, they charge you $20 first then the rest later when the game releases.

[quote name='ezellaur']So what happens if you cancel the preorder after using the GC? They keep the $20 deposit?[/QUOTE]

I don't know the exact result for that scenario. But what I do know, is that your thinking process will be frowned upon all of CAG.

ALL of CAG? I somehow doubt it, considering the only reason I asked was because based on past experience reading these threads, I figured someone has tried it already. I guess not :p

I just tried to order with Walmart with Site to Store shipping. The shopping cart says that MW2 + GC qualifies for S2S shipping, but when I place my order, it throws an error saying the following items don't qualify for S2S.

Guess what items it showed? NOTHING.

Anybody else have this problem?

[quote name='belal.rawi']Hello from Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com[/QUOTE]

Do I hear a $25 Dollar Store credit? How about $30? :lol:

It's amazing to me how stupid the retailers are (is it any wonder they're going to have such poor Christmas sales). You don't offer $20 store credit for a game that already has arguably the most demand in the history of video gaming! Having said this, I hope they keep going back in forth until the game is $20 or less (factoring in store credit).

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Do I hear a $25 Dollar Store credit? How about $30? :lol:

It's amazing to me how stupid the retailers are (is it any wonder they're going to have such poor Christmas sales). You don't offer $20 store credit for a game that already has arguably the most demand in the history of video gaming! Having said this, I hope they keep going back in forth until the game is $20 or less (factoring in store credit).[/QUOTE]
They may not need to offer a credit to entice people to buy the game, but they do need to offer a credit to entice people to buy the game from their store as opposed to the competition. Considering the large number of sales expected, it'd be very advantageous to have the best deal around for this game, as they'll attract a very large volume of costumers due to it.

[quote name='ezellaur']They may not need to offer a credit to entice people to buy the game, but they do need to offer a credit to entice people to buy the game from their store as opposed to the competition. Considering the large number of sales expected, it'd be very advantageous to have the best deal around for this game, as they'll attract a very large volume of costumers due to it.[/QUOTE]

True, but the foundation of supply and demand is that if you have a product with high demand, you can sell it for as much as you want and people will still buy it. What I'm trying to say is Activision could have come out and said they were selling the game for $79.99 instead of $59.99. I highly doubt that hardcore fans of COD4 and COD WAW would balk at paying $79.99 for what they consider to be the best game possibly ever made (I say possibly because it may just be more of the same- I expect a Metacritic score average in the mid 90's though).

In other words, as a retailer, you know you're going to sell the game like hotcakes. Why offer a $20 gift card or credit if you don't have to? For those unable to purchase from Amazon or Wal-mart, do you truly think they're going to say screw buying it from Toys R' Us or another retailer offering a lesser deal (I would actually be one of those because I'm content playing what I have, and waiting for demand and prices to drop).

To me that's what's idiotic. Also, if Wal-mart truly wanted to, they could sell the game for $19.99, and no one could compete, even Amazon. That would better support your argument of the retailers trying to do whatever they can to get you into their store this holiday season.

I do however expect someone to offer $5-$10 PS3 and XBox titles, $10-$20 Wii titles, $5 Blu-rays, a $200 laptop, and a $600 46 Inch LCD 1080p HDTV this Black Friday. As a result we all win!

I have a friend who is insisting on getting this @ midnight, but also wants the best deal. I'm assuming there's no in-store pickup for this @ midnight, right?

[quote name='MSUHitman']I have a friend who is insisting on getting this @ midnight, but also wants the best deal. I'm assuming there's no in-store pickup for this @ midnight, right?[/QUOTE]

Walmart is open 24 hours

He is right: "Get a $20 Video Games Credit
Order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and get $20 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid for a limited time and only when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Limit one per household. "

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']True, but the foundation of supply and demand is that if you have a product with high demand, you can sell it for as much as you want and people will still buy it. What I'm trying to say is Activision could have come out and said they were selling the game for $79.99 instead of $59.99.

-- snip --

To me that's what's idiotic. Also, if Wal-mart truly wanted to, they could sell the game for $19.99, and no one could compete, even Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Activision has that SKU already ($79.99) and just offered a little more with it. And a Night goggle pack version for bigger spenders too. But they'll sell a lot more and a reasonable price than an inflated one.

- There is a lot of competent FPS competition
- They'll make more off #s sell through keeping it reasonable than inflating
- Keep in mind Activision isn't getting (near) $60 a copy, either

I know we all play pseudo-market types at times, I do it too.
But discussion regarding the 'store wars' is also flawed - what I sell to someone is something YOU DON'T sell to that same person.

If I'm trying to beat you, not only am I still making a profit on my volume, but I'm also keeping profits from you, AND advertising that fact at the same time. In some cases I'll actually even make more money in this scenario if I get that much more people buying from me than otherwise.

--> Also keep in mind both Walmart and Amazon are giving back credit for their own (online) stores only, this isn't a price break or cash back, but money you need to spend on products they have, that they make a profit on.

A store might take the loss-leader tact too, which would probably happen at that $19.99 you mention. That does get expensive as you blow everyone out of the water AND pay a premium per, but you still end up with tremendous advertising and strip your competition of a lot of sales.

The companies are in it for cash, 'cred', and to crush the competition, and in this case the consumer wins. That doesn't always happen either - e.g. exclusive titles and/or content tends to keep the prices higher.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']True, but the foundation of supply and demand is that if you have a product with high demand, you can sell it for as much as you want and people will still buy it. What I'm trying to say is Activision could have come out and said they were selling the game for $79.99 instead of $59.99. I highly doubt that hardcore fans of COD4 and COD WAW would balk at paying $79.99 for what they consider to be the best game possibly ever made (I say possibly because it may just be more of the same- I expect a Metacritic score average in the mid 90's though).

In other words, as a retailer, you know you're going to sell the game like hotcakes. Why offer a $20 gift card or credit if you don't have to? For those unable to purchase from Amazon or Wal-mart, do you truly think they're going to say screw buying it from Toys R' Us or another retailer offering a lesser deal (I would actually be one of those because I'm content playing what I have, and waiting for demand and prices to drop).

To me that's what's idiotic. Also, if Wal-mart truly wanted to, they could sell the game for $19.99, and no one could compete, even Amazon. That would better support your argument of the retailers trying to do whatever they can to get you into their store this holiday season.

I do however expect someone to offer $5-$10 PS3 and XBox titles, $10-$20 Wii titles, $5 Blu-rays, a $200 laptop, and a $600 46 Inch LCD 1080p HDTV this Black Friday. As a result we all win![/QUOTE]
I think the problem with your supply and demand argument is that your applying it to a specific vendor, when it is only true in a more universal sense. Yes, since MW2 is in high demand, vendors can charge more for it. The PC price is a good example.

However, all supply and demand tells us is that CoD:MW2 is going to sell a crapload of copies. What it doesn't tell us is which vendors gets those sales. That is why we have antitrust regulation in place. Even with high demand, prices are kept in check due to competition. MW2 may go on to sell 4 million copies on release day, but if you're a vendor selling the game for MSRP with no added incentives, you may not get any of that 4 million. Therefore, each store will still try to one up the other. It may start out as a $10 credit, but with a game like this that promises to sell so many copies, it may be worth it to a vendor like Amazon to give a $20 credit instead in order to grab another million sales they would not have had otherwise. It worked on me.

Hey, here's an idea. Can you use your egift card to buy a regular gift card from the website?

You can use the bing.com cashback to get 10% off, which would cover the costs of shipping the game and the gift card, and you can use the gift card to buy anything in-store. This way you're not limited to buying only games from amazon and don't have to order anything online from walmart.

Is this possible?

[quote name='jasonme']Hey, here's an idea. Can you use your egift card to buy a regular gift card from the website?

You can use the bing.com cashback to get 10% off, which would cover the costs of shipping the game and the gift card, and you can use the gift card to buy anything in-store. This way you're not limited to buying only games from amazon and don't have to order anything online from walmart.

Is this possible?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's possible to buy a gift card with an e-gift card, but I'm pretty sure that bing 10% will not work with a) using the e-gift to buy the actual GC, and b) buying an actual GC.

[quote name='jasonme']Hey, here's an idea. Can you use your egift card to buy a regular gift card from the website?

Is this possible?[/QUOTE]

YES!

I did this earlier today:

I bought MW2 for $64.xx shipped (with $6 BCB)

Then I bought a $200 GC with the $20 GC, costing me $160 after BCB and GC

So you can do it. I just went with $200 cause I grocery shop there...

On second thought, you could buy a GC for the exact amount of MW2 with BCB, then buy MW2 using that GC, thus getting double BCB. So it would essentially save you $12 more on MW2. Wish I woulda thought of that b4 i boguht lol

[quote name='Miro']I'm not sure if it's possible to buy a gift card with an e-gift card, but I'm pretty sure that bing 10% will not work with a) using the e-gift to buy the actual GC, and b) buying an actual GC.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure bing can't be used on GCs?

Doesn't hurt me, as its basically cash for groceries, but I thought nothing was excluded...

[quote name='rusty']Are you sure bing can't be used on GCs?

Doesn't hurt me, as its basically cash for groceries, but I thought nothing was excluded...[/QUOTE]

Taken from: http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=...ype=topic&query=TOU_CONC_WLSearchCashback.htm

You will not earn cashback savings on purchases where (a) you close your browser or open the store's web site in a different web browser or tab; (b) you click away from the store after clicking on an eligible advertisement; (c) your browser is not configured to accept cookies; (d) the purchase is not completed in the same web browsing session in which you click on the eligible advertisement or listing; (e) the order is later cancelled or the goods or services are later returned; (f) the store does not report the purchase to us; (g) the goods or services are acquired for resale or other business purposes; (h) you use a separate discount or coupon with your order; (i) you exceed the annual monetary cap on cashback savings; (j): you purchase gift cards or gift certificates; or (k) you make a purchase from yourself or from entities that you control or otherwise in collusion with other people.

So in the end, I CAN buy a regular gift card with an egift card and the bing.com cashback will cover the costs of shipping for both the game and the gift card.

edit: rusty, did you use BCB on the gift card in the same session as buying the game, or was it another session?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back