College CAGers...

Silencer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
What do you guys do with your textbooks at the end of the semester? Are there any good websites that don't completely jack you when buying back books? Or is my best bet just trading with someone (via swapsimple.com) or selling them directly (half.com).

MUAHAHAHAAHHAAHAAHAH. Dude this is coming from a College Senior your books are god damn useless.

NEVER NEVER EVER sell them back to the bookstore. fuck them they are worst than uncle same. They will turn you over and fist you hardcore. You will pay 140 for a book and they will give you like 30 bucks back.

Your best bet....at least it was for me, was to wait until the next semester started then go find people around campus who were taking that class and needed that book and sell it to them.

You will most likely get at least 50% of what the book cost in the bookstore and alot of people still dont like ordering things online yet so its a safe bet.

I've kept about 1/2 of them, and I've sold about 1/2 of them to the college bookstore. Ya, you could probably get more if you sell them on half.com or something, but our bookstore gives us about 50% on each book, so it's not really a ripoff, and it's a lot easier.

[quote name='Soodmeg']MUAHAHAHAAHHAAHAAHAH. Dude this is coming from a College Senior your books are god damn useless.

NEVER NEVER EVER sell them back to the bookstore. fuck them they are worst than uncle same. They will turn you over and fist you hardcore. You will pay 140 for a book and they will give you like 30 bucks back.

Your best bet....at least it was for me, was to wait until the next semester started then go find people around campus who were taking that class and needed that book and sell it to them.

You will most likely get at least 50% of what the book cost in the bookstore and alot of people still dont like ordering things online yet so its a safe bet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never sell back my books to my school bookstore...in fact, I haven't sold any of my books yet. I have three semesters worth of books I want to get rid of.

[quote name='Soodmeg']MUAHAHAHAAHHAAHAAHAH. Dude this is coming from a College Senior your books are god damn useless.

You will most likely get at least 50% of what the book cost in the bookstore and alot of people still dont like ordering things online yet so its a safe bet.[/QUOTE]

30? Try 10...

[quote name='Silencer']One who's a member of CAG?[/quote]
But CAG stands for Cheap Ass Gamer, meaning one is already a member. We need something to prove that it is CAG and not CAGer and just settle it once and for all.

Hey not to take over your topic Silencer..but I would like to ask this to everyone who comes in, Whats the worst you have been ripped of selling your books back to a bookstore?

Mine was a freaking Realion book the school keeps every single year. They never change book ever.....it cost 149 bucks. I didnt even really open it once through out the entire semester but once you buy it its like a god damn car...the value goes down to 22.50. 22 fucking 50. I swear i was more pissed about them actually giving me 50 cents..... That was the first and last time i ever sold anything to the bookstore.

[quote name='mcgavin27']But CAG stands for Cheap Ass Gamer, meaning one is already a member. We need something to prove that it is CAG and not CAGer and just settle it once and for all.[/QUOTE]

I always figured we were labeled as "Cheap Ass Gamers" -- Gamer, in this regard, referring to what we are (one who games). It doesn't really constitute us as members of CAG. That's why I said CAGers == Members of CAG.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Mine was a freaking Realion book the school keeps every single year. They never change book ever.....it cost 149 bucks. I didnt even really open it once through out the entire semester but once you buy it its like a god damn car...the value goes down to 22.50. 22 fucking 50. I swear i was more pissed about them actually giving me 50 cents..... That was the first and last time i ever sold anything to the bookstore.[/QUOTE]

lol, and they will probably turn around and sell that same book with a "Used Price" of $75-80.

I can't remember what it was exactly, but I purchased a new book for one of the math classes in my first year. I took it by the bookstore after the semester just to see what I could get back for it (the book was still current).. five bucks. I laughed, walked out and sold it online for quite a bit more than that. Pitiful..

I don't know if they think people are just stupid or what.. does anyone actually give in to such ridiculous amounts?

true, AVOID the college book store at all cost...... think of it as the EB/GS of a college.. you paid 100 bucks for that book, trade it in and they give you 10, put there sticker on it and charge 70$ used :(

fuckers.

I generally sell back to the bookstore just because I'm lazy and I hate dealing online. One of the campus bookstores does give pretty good buybacks as long as it's being used next quarter. On the books it gives shit money on it's generally novels and crap only a certain teacher who teaches the class once a year uses.

I keep some of my major books, but I love when I down $130 on a USED MacroEcon book only to have a new edition come out (making it worthless).
I buy online so the screwing is lessened at the end of the semester.

my rules for books

#1 dont buy books for gen ed classes, you can get by without
#2 buy older editions on ebay
#3 just keep em when your done

I actually bought my discrete math book for $55 shipped, US version and newest edition SEALED, when it was 90 used at the book store. Also got the 20th edition of a book for like 11 shipped when the 21st edition was 35 in store.

I always buy from half.com and amazon and then sell on half.com when I'm done.

The Student Government Association set up a book swapping website, but then it turned into a forum and got useless, I only sold one book that way, but it was way better than a bookstore.

The last last last resort is selling to the bookstore, you'll always get fucked.

There are many book stores in gainesville, so they are competitive and not too bad. The buy backs on the end of the semester are actually pretty good, so I usually sell my books that way, even though I would make more on half.com. If I feel im getting really ripped off on a book, I just keep it. They come in handy sometimes.

[quote name='Silencer']What do you guys do with your textbooks at the end of the semester? Are there any good websites that don't completely jack you when buying back books? Or is my best bet just trading with someone (via swapsimple.com) or selling them directly (half.com).[/quote]
my college always had a bulletin board near the entrances to the bookstore.

i would always print out lists of all the books i wasnt keeping and list them for 1/2 what i bought them for. then at the bottom you have your number/email a bunch of times printed vertically and you cut it down between them so som1 can just rip it off and stick it in their pocket. makes it easy to find you to buy the books.

Sell them on half.com, you'll make at least twice what the bookstores offers you and it requires very little effor after you've done it once.

Also even if a newer version came out someone will be interested in buying the old version cheap, which is more than I can say for college bookstores.

I got $75 for my $675 worth of books at the end of this semester....fuck fuck fuck Eastern Michigan University atleast i got to put it towards a Wii

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I got $75 for my $675 worth of books at the end of this semester....fuck fuck fuck Eastern Michigan University atleast i got to put it towards a Wii[/QUOTE]

You gotta be shitting! That's barely over 10%!

oh yea because of the stupid buy back prices from these places, I still have like 95% of my college books :( The only good one is my biology and perhaps my psychology book :| and yea I graduated 7 years ago :(

I sell mine back to the college bookstore. Usually get 50% back of their price. But I buy my books online so I come close to breaking even.

[quote name='jPoD']I know my college has a forum for trading and selling stuff.

EDIT: I forgot about this. Someone told me about this site: http://www.addall.com/[/QUOTE]

Uhh, if by "forums" you mean a message board, almost nobody uses BU's forums.

[quote name='Silencer']Uhh, if by "forums" you mean a message board, almost nobody uses BU's forums.[/QUOTE]

What about the BU Night thing? btw, you have facebook?

I usually sell them to the bookstore but that's my last resort (I usually ask friends if they're gonna take that same class next semester).

I remember my one friend bought some Shakespere book for around $11. When he went to the bookstore at the end of the semester to sell it, they offered him $0.75 for it and he took it.:lol:

Half.com is the way to go. Either that or ask a professor if you can list somewhere in his class... on the door or something that you have books for sale for his class.

Btw, I finally got around to listing my books on half.com today, I listed 6 books and 4 already sold. I have 2 more cheap ones that I forgot about too.

So far I've gotten back 70% of what I paid (after shipping and their commission fees). I would have done better, but one of my books last semester was only available new since it was a new edition.

[quote name='SpazX']Btw, I finally got around to listing my books on half.com today, I listed 6 books and 4 already sold. I have 2 more cheap ones that I forgot about too.

So far I've gotten back 70% of what I paid (after shipping and their commission fees). I would have done better, but one of my books last semester was only available new since it was a new edition.[/quote]

I put books on half.com 3 years after college and they wound up selling - even ones that were 5-10 years old(publish date). Surprised me.

[quote name='SpazX']Btw, I finally got around to listing my books on half.com today, I listed 6 books and 4 already sold. I have 2 more cheap ones that I forgot about too.

So far I've gotten back 70% of what I paid (after shipping and their commission fees). I would have done better, but one of my books last semester was only available new since it was a new edition.[/QUOTE]

I put one up yesterday just to see if it well sell or not..if it does, I'll put up more.
Maybe, I should just list them all.

[quote name='lordwow']Sucks to BU? haha.[/QUOTE]

It also sucks to lose to Northeastern at the business competition every year XD
It's worse for Harvard though. Those kids think theyre the shit.

Anyway, enjoy your 'fake' campus with random greenery :p

Sell them on half.com

I bought my books the first 3 semesters, then I just stopped because I spent $100 on a phyco book I never used, and $90 on a book that was about four levels over the class's head, thus we never sused it.

This year my "math" book cost $160, paperback, the school store bought them back in perfect shape for $20. I didn't buy the book. Also didn't buy my History books, I just checked out some of them from the library.

[quote name='David85']Sell them on half.com

I bought my books the first 3 semesters, then I just stopped because I spent $100 on a phyco book I never used, and $90 on a book that was about four levels over the class's head, thus we never sused it.

This year my "math" book cost $160, paperback, the school store bought them back in perfect shape for $20. I didn't buy the book. Also didn't buy my History books, I just checked out some of them from the library.[/QUOTE]

Where do you go David?

[quote name='jPoD']
Anyway, enjoy your 'fake' campus with random greenery :p[/QUOTE]

Enjoy riding the T from one end of your campus to the other.

One of my friends is from Boston, and it's kind of funny to hear his accent at times.

But shoot, $100 and up for textbooks, and getting screwed over on selling them back? Guess it's just one more thing to worry about for next year.

*sighs*

Don't buy the books, thats the easiest thing. Buy them at half.com or bn.com with a member card.

And I go to a shitty college none of you have heard of.

[quote name='jPoD']Suffolk?[/QUOTE]

Suffolk is not shitty. Both my parents went there and got good jobs, enough so that only my father has worked for the past 18 years. Making $250k a year after getting merely a bachelor's degree at Suffolk does not constitute a shitty college.

bread's done
Back