Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='kodave']I take it he didn't have close to 1,250,000 comic books in his inventory?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I was going to offer him about $6,000-$8,000 since he mainly had modern junk. I was more interested in his toys and statues. ;)

BTW: Do you guys have anything that you think should be added or changed in the overstreet price guide? I am going to write them about a few different additions/things that should be called out in the guide.

Is there any book that you think in undervalued in the guide?

[quote name='slowdive21']Is there any book that you think in undervalued in the guide?[/QUOTE]

The guide is just a guide. I mean, it may help for insurance purposes. It can be a starting point for discussion and negotiation. But the real value of a certain comic in a certain condition, like most items, is the amount someone is willing to pay for it on that given day.

I am only picking up 2 books on this week, Revival #2 and Walking Dead #101. Unfortunately, I think the walking dead 101 is just going to be filler stuff from the results of 100, but revival looks like it might get really awesome.

Yeah, I have a feeling that it will be mostly filler as well. I usually like the slow, abhorrent pace of The Walking Dead, but now, I think it is time that Kirkman kicks it into overdrive much like he did at the end of the Prison arc.

Also, the next chapters of Avengers vs X-Men, Saga, Captain Marvel, Avengers Academy and X-Factor are out this week. Oh, and Batwoman. That's pretty much it for me.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, I have a feeling that it will be mostly filler as well. I usually like the slow, abhorrent pace of The Walking Dead, but now, I think it is time that Kirkman kicks it into overdrive much like he did at the end of the Prison arc.

Also, the next chapters of Avengers vs X-Men, Saga, Captain Marvel, Avengers Academy and X-Factor are out this week. Oh, and Batwoman. That's pretty much it for me.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to start the Avengers vs X-men, but whenever I am at the LCS it confuses me with all the tie ins and such and I give up, lol.

Honestly, you can just read the regular Avengers vs X-Men series. The tie-ins aren't really necessary unless you alread read those series. The only tie-in that really entertained me was Avengers Academy.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, I have a feeling that it will be mostly filler as well. I usually like the slow, abhorrent pace of The Walking Dead, but now, I think it is time that Kirkman kicks it into overdrive much like he did at the end of the Prison arc.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's time this series went somewhere, and I believe it is like you say going into overdrive.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']I wanted to start the Avengers vs X-men, but whenever I am at the LCS it confuses me with all the tie ins and such and I give up, lol.[/QUOTE]

I was confused at first too. There's the AVX VS series which I thought was the main story but it wasn't. I'd recomend to pick up a few issues from the main AVX mini-series. Really no need to get every issue. I'm not familiar with the X-Men side of things but the Avengers tie-ins are mostly passable. The New Avengers had an intresting tie-in as it goes more into depth about the link between the Pheonix Force and Iron Fist. It was only a few issues but I found it intresting.

I've enjoyed the New Avengers tie-in issues. The K'un L'un story and especially last week's issue with a meeting between a certain group of individuals have been enjoyable.

I noticed over on slickdeals that both discountmags.com and tanga.com have a bunch of subscriptions for DC books at like $1 an issue today. Has anyone used these places before? I wouldn't mind taking the plunge on a couple things for $12 a year, but I'm worried that my stuff may come either A) damaged/bent or B) really late.

[quote name='mrosnwo']I noticed over on slickdeals that both discountmags.com and tanga.com have a bunch of subscriptions for DC books at like $1 an issue today. Has anyone used these places before? I wouldn't mind taking the plunge on a couple things for $12 a year, but I'm worried that my stuff may come either A) damaged/bent or B) really late.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are for real or not, but I will say that I used to subscribe to various Marvel comics and they would routinely come extremely late. I would have to call/email at least once every other month because some issue would be over a month late etc. Plus customer service was extremely rude. On the upside I don't think anything ever came bent...

[quote name='mrosnwo']I noticed over on slickdeals that both discountmags.com and tanga.com have a bunch of subscriptions for DC books at like $1 an issue today. Has anyone used these places before? I wouldn't mind taking the plunge on a couple things for $12 a year, but I'm worried that my stuff may come either A) damaged/bent or B) really late.[/QUOTE]

If you are worried about condition, I would not subscribe. I got a great deal on Ult FF when it first came out and 25% of the issues came damaged. They ship in cellophane with a modern board.

As far as tanga goes, they are legit. I posted a nintendo power deal they had 3-4 years ago on CAG.

Awwww, that sucks. The series has been a little slow but it's been a solid read. I really hope they don't abandon these characters but something tells me they will fade into obscurity.

I'm reading Batman & Robin new 52 vol. 1 and I'm wondering, as they rebooted the three year old series, did Bruce have to go through wondering if Damien will grow up to be a good kid again?

Just read Walking Dead 101, it actually was not bad at all, I liked it. I also got Revival #2, but left it in my buddys car, so I wont get that back until tomorrow.

Found this video on my university's home page. Fan-film adapted from Ultimate X-Men Vol 41. Script is nearly word-for-word in some instances, especially the last scene with Wolverine. Surprisingly well done for a student project. Seems Brian Michael Bendis (writer behind New Avengers, House of M, and Secret Wars I believe) found the film shortly after it was uploaded and commended them for their work.

[youtube]l1_aAgNW99o[/youtube]

Regarding the Ghost variant for 101. I ordered from both Star Clipper (phone in only) and Comic Oasis (online, search "ghost variant" in webstore)

Both places had them for $10 each plus shipping. Can I guarantee they still have them? Nope. You'll have to call and verify but I'm getting you in the right direction.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Regarding the Ghost variant for 101. I ordered from both Star Clipper (phone in only) and Comic Oasis (online, search "ghost variant" in webstore)

Both places had them for $10 each plus shipping. Can I guarantee they still have them? Nope. You'll have to call and verify but I'm getting you in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

Comic Oasis is my LCS... I am going to have to go back and look again tomorrow. I might have one in my box.

The Marvel Zomnibus is currently $74.87 over at Amazon. I've only read and enjoyed the first series but can anyone comment if the other series make it worth getting the Zomnibus? If not, which ones should I pick up instead?

[quote name='Lugi']What no Saga talk?[/QUOTE]

Another month and another fantastic chapter. Sucks that it won't be back until November/December.

[quote name='Lugi']What no Saga talk?[/QUOTE]

Saga so far is awesome. Even made me read Y: The Last Man although that was less so.

[quote name='Hostile']Saga so far is awesome. Even made me read Y: The Last Man although that was less so.[/QUOTE]

Saga needs to get a bit further along before I can consider it better than Y. It's a great book, but Y was an AMAZING story and Saga has some big shoes to fill.

I don't see how you can compare the two. Outside the same writer, and a few similarities here and there, they are quite different. Why don't we just compare it other BKV books like Ultimate X-Men, Runaways or Ex Machina? They're all good books in their own peculiar ways.

I've started to get into the DC universe lately. I started with the New 52 and have a few characters/books I like. I'm currently reading Animal Man, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batman and Robin, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Green Lantern, Justice League, Flash, and Wonder Woman. Are some of the older DC stories, before the New 52, worth going back and reading for a newbie to the DC Multiverse? I've literally never read any DC at all before the New 52 as I never had a guide to help point me in the right direction.

[quote name='Sway']The Marvel Zomnibus is currently $74.87 over at Amazon. I've only read and enjoyed the first series but can anyone comment if the other series make it worth getting the Zomnibus? If not, which ones should I pick up instead?[/QUOTE]

They're mostly meh after 2. When they get into the Machine Man stuff and everything after is kind of boring. Marvel Zombies Returns was cool though. I only think Zombies, Dead Days, Zombies 2, Zombies vs Army of Darkness are worth anything.

[quote name='advanced']
They're mostly meh after 2. When they get into the Machine Man stuff and everything after is kind of boring. Marvel Zombies Returns was cool though. I only think Zombies, Dead Days, Zombies 2, Zombies vs Army of Darkness are worth anything.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the opinion. Maybe I'll just reread 1, buy 2 and get the Walking Dead omnibuses instead.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Saga needs to get a bit further along before I can consider it better than Y. It's a great book, but Y was an AMAZING story and Saga has some big shoes to fill.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GhostShark']I don't see how you can compare the two. Outside the same writer, and a few similarities here and there, they are quite different. Why don't we just compare it other BKV books like Ultimate X-Men, Runaways or Ex Machina? They're all good books in their own peculiar ways.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't really comparing the two and it was just disappointment more than anything else. I enjoyed my time for the most part with Y: The Last Man but with me going backwards reading it after Saga and after hearing how great it was I was expecting a lot better. I read Y to completion in a few days and it didn't quite hit the "I love every single issue" I have for Saga. Then I had multiple issues with Y's ending and some stuff in general.

[quote name='advanced']I've started to get into the DC universe lately. I started with the New 52 and have a few characters/books I like. I'm currently reading Animal Man, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batman and Robin, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Green Lantern, Justice League, Flash, and Wonder Woman. Are some of the older DC stories, before the New 52, worth going back and reading for a newbie to the DC Multiverse? I've literally never read any DC at all before the New 52 as I never had a guide to help point me in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

If you are getting into it based on the New 52, I would say at least Green Lantern and the Batman books as they didn't have the same level of revamp as the other books with the New 52. Otherwise, just jump in to some more beloved stories as I don't think the majority of the other books right before Flashpoint were particularly great.

[quote name='advanced']Are some of the older DC stories, before the New 52, worth going back and reading for a newbie to the DC Multiverse? I've literally never read any DC at all before the New 52 as I never had a guide to help point me in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

As someone who started reading to catch up to the excitement of the New 52 I have to say it sucks being a new fan because it looks like certain characters have been removed from continuity. I fell in love with Stephanie Brown, the 3rd Batgirl but it looks like in the current universe there was never a 3rd Batgirl. Maybe not even the 2nd Batgirl. With that said there's a lot of recommended stuff that people will tell you to read that came before New 52.

Checked out the Invincible Omnibus from my Library which has the first 47 issues. Started reading last night and I'm hooked. Excellent read.

Just got around to reading the first six issues of Saga. Just as great as everyone said it was

Anyone know exactly how many issues it's going to run?

That would be nice, but I see it lasting 40, maybe 50 issues at the most. Fiona Staples really doesn't work on long, lengthy series. And I really wouldn't want another artist working on the book. Despite how awesome BKV's script and dialogue is in the series, it is really Staples' art that drives the book for me.

[quote name='GhostShark']That would be nice, but I see it lasting 40, maybe 50 issues at the most. Fiona Staples really doesn't work on long, lengthy series. And I really wouldn't want another artist working on the book. Despite how awesome BKV's script and dialogue is in the series, it is really Staples' art that drives the book for me.[/QUOTE]

There obviously must be an outline of how long it will be doesn't seem as if he's writing as he goes along.

[quote name='Hostile']Saga is the first series where I'll be buying each trade as they come out if the quality is still there.[/QUOTE]

It should be one book, trade wise, in my opinion.

[quote name='Hostile']Saga is the first series where I'll be buying each trade as they come out if the quality is still there.[/QUOTE]

I am going to have to re-read it, i gave up halfway through the 2nd issue. IDK why, but I am definitly going to try it again.

I managed to get a TWD 101 Ghost Variant, pretty pumped about that.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']And here is what I got over the last 2-3 weeks....[/QUOTE]

Nice pickups. I haven't heard of Revival before. What's it like?

[quote name='bhk']Nice pickups. I haven't heard of Revival before. What's it like?[/QUOTE]

Well, its only two issues in, but its about a town in WI where everyone who came back to life that had died in the past few days, as well as everyone has regenerative powers. Also, there are aliens.

[quote name='Hostile']My pick-ups all involve trades. I don't think I'll ever be the guy that buys single issues.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I should do that, but I am a collector at heart (which is really bad, because I am also a completist), its usually cheaper and you get a bigger chunk of story to go through at once.

[quote name='Hostile']My pick-ups all involve trades. I don't think I'll ever be the guy that buys single issues.[/QUOTE]

Same. With the size of my reading list, I can't justify dropping that much money every week. I'll own the ones I love eventually, but I usually wait until I can get them for $1 or less.

[quote name='Tsel']Same. With the size of my reading list, I can't justify dropping that much money every week. I'll own the ones I love eventually, but I usually wait until I can get them for $1 or less.[/QUOTE]

I would do that, but i figure with my time finding them at stores or by the time you factor in shipping, I would be well over the 3-4 dollar cover price per issue.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']I would do that, but i figure with my time finding them at stores or by the time you factor in shipping, I would be well over the 3-4 dollar cover price per issue.[/QUOTE]

I usually just hold out until my LCS has a big sale, much like the .10 cent sale coming up this weekend. :bouncy:

I got a shit ton of comics at their .25 cent sale, so I can't imagine how big the stack I'll be coming home with will be on Saturday. They have some fairly recent stuff too. I also pick them up at garage sales or conventions, like Chicago Comic-Con. I'm kicking myself for not picking up more when they had $1 back issues, including stuff as recent as AvX #7.

I'll always prefer single issues to trades. Yeah it's easier to deal with but having trades just doesn't feel the same. Guess I'm all old timey like that.

On issue #36 in the Invincible Compendium. I just can't put it down.

Trades are great, because some stories read better collected then waiting for it month after month. Plus, they look nicer than having my long box drawers sitting in the closet or room (wherever I decide to keep them).

But...I hate waiting. Part of it is the collect mentality I have, but I also don't like waiting 6 months-year before I read a new story. Seems so damn long...

bread's done
Back