CompUSA closing all remaining stores. Expect deals/clearances ahead.

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Here's the techcrunch article on it. It's gone through the wire and just hit CNN/AP, but I prefer TC anyhow.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/07/compusa-goes-into-the-deadpool-good/

I don't know if there will be any good deals or what the clearance percentage will start out at, but at least some people can get ready to grab some of the good stuff. Do the current stores still carry/sell Bawls? That would probably be the only thing that I could actually want from them since it will take an infinite amount of time until the big clearance starts happening, and by then most of the good stuff will have been taken anyway. Oh well, they were a crappy store anyway.

I didn't see it posted anywhere and did a quick search.

[quote name='igraves42']Ha, I worked in the exact same job last summer and had the exact same experience. It was the worst job I have ever had. Did you have to do all the checkouts through IMS? Jesus, fucking archaic system.
And don't get me started on TAP, I knew I was leaving soon so I didn't even try to sell it usually, it was such a rip-off. Why buy extra protection when the manufacturer warranty is already a good one? Oh, and my account exec was a major douche, sounds like a common trend in CompUSA management.[/quote]

Yeah, from the majority of people I talked to, it seems like most CompUSA small business departments have this terrible vibe. It's just horrible. The TAP nonsense if the worst. One of the other account managers was showing me around the store once and trying to get me use to the place, and we're talking about TAP and accessories. And we're like, "When someone comes in to buy a $600 laptop, they don't want anything else. They want to spend the $600+ and leave." Most of the time, we just avoided anyone who was looking at the cheap HPs and stuff and hovered around the Sony's, considering the massive margin they have.

I'll miss CompUSA a lot. Most of the deals I bought there were on computer accessories and software, but they've had their moments for gaming, too. Several $9.99 PS2 games. Cordless Action Controller for $20 when it was $35-40 everywhere. 20% off a 360 accessory with COD4 purchase (got the wireless networking adapter, which I rarely see on sale). Just bought 2 decent 360 games for $15 each.

Unfortunately, a lot of the game deals weren't advertised, so unless you randomly stopped by the store (or found it on CAG) you'd never know.

I remember in '05 they had a special event where they sold new Xbox's for $50. Still regret snoozing on that one...

First they swallowed The Good Guys and then shut them down, now this. Sad.

Kind of sucks, they had the best PC game selection in town, and they also sold cases of bawls.

Would be cool to get some cheap cases.

[quote name='feek']Kind of sucks, they had the best PC game selection in town, and they also sold cases of bawls.

Would be cool to get some cheap cases.[/QUOTE]

I wish they had sold individual ones - I had my first Cherry Bawls at MicroCenter.

Guess I'll have to get a case now. It wasn't half bad.

I only bought from compusa if i needed something fast, even then there are local shops i could use too. Compusa had such high prices.

I'd stay away from their website too. I ordered an Xbox Live Gold card from them a week ago, it stated 'usually ships in 1-2 days' and they haven't touched it yet. They probably laid off there warehouse workers already...wages are always cut first...

[quote name='feek'] they also sold cases of bawls.

Would be cool to get some cheap cases.[/quote]This was my first reaction when the one near me closed. I picked up a case at 10% off (that was the best deal they had on em, even for the closing sale), and thought I wouldn't have a reliable source after they were gone. But then I realized that thinkgeek.com actually sells them for cheaper (if you're counting per-bottle price).

[quote name='sn1per420']This was my first reaction when the one near me closed. I picked up a case at 10% off (that was the best deal they had on em, even for the closing sale), and thought I wouldn't have a reliable source after they were gone. But then I realized that thinkgeek.com actually sells them for cheaper (if you're counting per-bottle price).[/QUOTE]

Perhaps since they are all closing now, the discount might be a bit more. That's what I'm hoping at least. Because i'd rather buy it from a store than get it shipped if possible.

[quote name='triplehelix']Go make some noise to the manager. They will probably at least partially refund you for the warranty you paid for. I'm assuming you paid for an extended warranty as I don't know many warranties that come 2.5+ years without some extra cash. Good luck, and keep your eyes open for the magazine rack :)[/QUOTE]

There's usually someone/where you can go to who will honor your warranty. It's usually not compusa that is directly honoring the warranty, but a third party insurance company.

Went to case my local CompUSA today and was shocked by how much they've improved the store. It's like a new, renovated store in their. I'm actually sad to see it go...

They been gone around me for a while now.

When they were still open, the liquidators kept the
prices about the same though, so it sucked just as bad.

Woah, it's actually closing?

It really never was that great a store. I really wonder how it managed to stay in business where I am, since it sits right next to an awesome TigerDirect Retail Store.

I wonder if clearance items will be YMMV. 2 years back, my CompUSA had a massive game clearance, with many then-$49.99 titles being as low as $9.99. They told me it was to make way for the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii... and more space for the DS and PSP.

It stinks that the store I use to visit closed. Even if the deals aren't that great, I'd at least want the opportunity to check them out. Now, the nearest store is in NYC (the one I worked at for a short time, actually). After the cost of travel and paying the extra tax, it probably wouldn't be worth my while, especially if there aren't any good deals.

Went by the store here in Birmingham and nothing has happened yet. Pretty much same ol' stock and prices.

I'm actually sad to see them go. The store here really wasn't that bad.

[quote name='daminion']going to miss my compusa. it was always convenient to have a local store that carried computer building accessories like fans, cables, etc. Sure newegg and others sell this stuff for cheaper, but they can't get it to me in 15 minutes.[/QUOTE]

This is precisely why I'll be sad to see ours go. Around here, they are pretty much the only retail avenue for hardcore PC stuff. Sure, my company always orders from Newegg when we KNOW ahead of time what we will need for a job, but there are times when the unforeseen happens and you need something right then and CompUSA always filled that role. Now, depending on what it is, any emergency needs might leave us SOL.

I got some good gaming deals there over the years as well, such as the aforementioned Oblivion 360 at launch and a coupled months ago I picked up Okami for 20 bucks. Even their PC stuff was not always overpriced, you just had to shop and keep your eyes peeled.

Customer service has always been awful, however.

I checked my local CompUSA on Friday night to see if there was any extra deals happening due to the immenent closure. Needless to say, I was surprised that the store still had a Buy 1 Get 1 Free Sale still going on all of their 'clearanced' games (any Manager Special or game titles ending in the .98 price).

The selection of titles included a lot of the games that were at the 50% sale that I went to about 6 weeks ago, but there were other new titles included as well:

Halo 3 $50.98
PS3 Sixaxis Controller $34.98
X360 Wired Controller $34.98
X360 Vision (didn't remember the price)
Ratchet And Clank: Size Matters $34.98

Needless to say, two copies of Halo 3 for $50.98 sounded tempting, but I showed contrant, picked up Ratchet & Clank and got an Ubisoft DS Sudoku game for my wife instead. Just wanted to give the heads up on the deal just in case (I'm thinking this is a major YMMV) so someone can have fun flipping Halo 3 at some other retail outlet.

The location of the CompUSA is in Fresno CA BTW...

[quote name='Lord Alfred']This is precisely why I'll be sad to see ours go. Around here, they are pretty much the only retail avenue for hardcore PC stuff. [/quote]

Pretty much same here.... with the exception of CPUsolutions.com (warehouse is 45 minutes away, and they dont mind pickups).

I likes compUSA, the prices where either a little cheaper here, or same as everywhare else.

I usually only stopped by there to pick up something I ordered online... but I always looked around for stuff.

This reminds me of the toys r' us closing... unfortunately. I'm just hoping there will be goos deals to be had. I need a Dell laptop power supply, and I dont really feel like paying alot for it, since I barely use the thing.

I liked CompUSA in King of Prussia because they had a great selection of computer parts and accessories. It is the only store in the area that would stock computer cases, PSUs, Fans, Processors etc, besides Microcenter.

That being said, I never bought anything from them, would just go look at the item and check out it's quality then usually go order the item on NewEgg... unless it was something I needed 'this' minute.

It has got to be difficult to compete with NewEgg... but one thing that would have helped would have been to have market prices on video games and PC games... I remember being able to walk in there and find Diablo II for Original MSRP even just last year.... that game has been out for a LONG time... If they had spent some time keeping their prices current, and occasionally threw in a coupon or a deal or something we likely would have kept them in business (+FW/SD)

[quote name='Advocatus']I remember being able to walk in there and find Diablo II for Original MSRP even just last year.... that game has been out for a LONG time... If they had spent some time keeping their prices current, and occasionally threw in a coupon or a deal or something[/quote]

Sometimes I think the same thing about PC game prices in CC. I remember buying a couple of $4.95 PC clearance games at Target, and then walking into CC to find those exact same games priced at $49.99 --- even some games have that MSRP price after having been out for a few years!!

The only thing I learned from CompUSA's last clearance sale is that it's amazing what people will buy at only 10% off.

[quote name='Joe Fongul']I checked my local CompUSA on Friday night to see if there was any extra deals happening due to the immenent closure. Needless to say, I was surprised that the store still had a Buy 1 Get 1 Free Sale still going on all of their 'clearanced' games (any Manager Special or game titles ending in the .98 price).

The selection of titles included a lot of the games that were at the 50% sale that I went to about 6 weeks ago, but there were other new titles included as well:

Halo 3 $50.98
PS3 Sixaxis Controller $34.98
X360 Wired Controller $34.98
X360 Vision (didn't remember the price)
Ratchet And Clank: Size Matters $34.98

Needless to say, two copies of Halo 3 for $50.98 sounded tempting, but I showed contrant, picked up Ratchet & Clank and got an Ubisoft DS Sudoku game for my wife instead. Just wanted to give the heads up on the deal just in case (I'm thinking this is a major YMMV) so someone can have fun flipping Halo 3 at some other retail outlet.

The location of the CompUSA is in Fresno CA BTW...[/quote]

I'm in the same city I'll have to check it out soon.

I think it depends on the liquidator how will the deals will work out. I had one within walking distance that was closed this past spring so I'd go once a week to check things out and clearance prices were still higher than newegg regular prices.

The only thing I saw worthwhile during clearance was that consoles were 20% off and in-stock at one point. I was disappointed because I was in the market for a HDTV at the time and they wouldn't mark down the floor models at all.

I do have to agree with some other people though, now that Compusa closed, the number of places to go to pick up specific computer components around here is pretty sad with just Best Buy being the major electronics retailer within 15 minutes.

this sucks but it means more cheap games, during BF i picked up 2 good wii games for 30, including RE4!

yeah, they closed our CompUSA months ago. the nearest one now is 95miles. When the one closed by me, they had 10-15% off games, which was just a slap in the face. Buying used games was still alot cheaper. I learned long ago that compusa was rarely a good deal, but they had alot of computer stuff that Best buy didnt have.

Good riddance. They always treated me like crap; whoever's in charge of their employee training needs to die in a fire. Anecdotally, I've heard about their awful return policy and mail-in rebates... they always find a technicality to screw you out of a return or rebate, unlike the hassle free service at pretty much every other big-box store.

My dad will be thrilled to see them bite the dust. He hates CompUSA (they screwed him on a bunch of rebates, but he got back at them by denying a recommendation to the state for $20,000 worth of CompUSA training services).

When one of their stores closed around here earlier this year the game deals were not very good. Hopefully the discounts will be better this time around since they will not have other stores to move the merchandise to.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']My dad will be thrilled to see them bite the dust. He hates CompUSA (they screwed him on a bunch of rebates, but he got back at them by denying a recommendation to the state for $20,000 worth of CompUSA training services).[/quote]

They call that a conflict of interest. ;)

[quote name='MikeC']When one of their stores closed around here earlier this year the game deals were not very good. Hopefully the discounts will be better this time around since they will not have other stores to move the merchandise to.[/QUOTE]

I was reading on another forum they use an outside company to manage the clearance. A company that marks things up from SRP considerably before marking things down to make it look like a deal. Hardly a new concept, but still sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeEdge
My dad will be thrilled to see them bite the dust. He hates CompUSA (they screwed him on a bunch of rebates, but he got back at them by denying a recommendation to the state for $20,000 worth of CompUSA training services).

[quote name='kevlar51']They call that a conflict of interest. ;)[/quote]
Not necessarily. If he denied the recommendation because of the rebates, yes. If he denied the recommendation because everything about CompUSA was inferior, no.

Regarding the closure, meh.

They were never close to where I lived and nothing about them would make it worth repeated visits.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Went by the store here in Birmingham and nothing has happened yet. Pretty much same ol' stock and prices.

I'm actually sad to see them go. The store here really wasn't that bad.[/quote]

Was that the store out by the Galleria? I was thinking of making a trip tomorrow to TRU (for GH2 deal) and then stopping by the CompUSA, but maybe it is not worth it.

You know, its amazing to see how much people can hate a corporation merely because they've had poor shopping experiences there. I could understand if you hate them for some ethical reason such as they don't give their employees benefits or they buy their products from sweatshops or drug dealers but just because you went in there one day and couldn't get the newest game they had advertised? :roll:

Behind this corporation is thousands upon thousands of men and women working to support their families. These people are all going to be out of a job now and the best some of you can say is "good riddance, I hope this company burns" Really, there's a lot more important things in this world to become that passionate in your hatred.

Now I'm not saying we should all have sympathy toward the company. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't take delight in the fact that for many families this will be a very dark christmas.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeEdge

Not necessarily. If he denied the recommendation because of the rebates, yes. If he denied the recommendation because everything about CompUSA was inferior, no.

[/quote]

True, but I'm basing my statement on "he got back at them."

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You know, its amazing to see how much people can hate a corporation merely because they've had poor shopping experiences there. I could understand if you hate them for some ethical reason such as they don't give their employees benefits or they buy their products from sweatshops or drug dealers but just because you went in there one day and couldn't get the newest game they had advertised? :roll:

Behind this corporation is thousands upon thousands of men and women working to support their families. These people are all going to be out of a job now and the best some of you can say is "good riddance, I hope this company burns" Really, there's a lot more important things in this world to become that passionate in your hatred.

Now I'm not saying we should all have sympathy toward the company. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't take delight in the fact that for many families this will be a very dark christmas.[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude but after seeing my friends get screwed many a time by there so called "deals" due to terrible corporate policies that tend to treat any consumer as an adversary, I'm not sorry to see them go despite the good people that worked there. Hopefully some store will come in to take what little market share they had and will rehire the worthy people that used to work there. I don't hate CompUSA, and I personally refused to shop there, but they were a poorly run company and they incorporated business practices that earned themselves some well deserved malice, so I understand the hate on the board. I do feel genuinely bad for some of their employees, but I don't think that a bad business should continue to run simply because they aren't all bad people.

[quote name='muddyjunk']Good riddance. They always treated me like crap; whoever's in charge of their employee training needs to die in a fire. Anecdotally, I've heard about their awful return policy and mail-in rebates... they always find a technicality to screw you out of a return or rebate, unlike the hassle free service at pretty much every other big-box store.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree...I was denied a $30 rebate for no reason at all. They just rip people off. I hope the owners lose millions....

[quote name='pinoy530']Man, I still had 2 1/2 more years left on my warranty for my TV. But I guess there will be no more COMPUSA to exchange it to.[/QUOTE]

That sucks...you better go ask for a refund right away! Otherwise you are SOL.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You know, its amazing to see how much people can hate a corporation merely because they've had poor shopping experiences there. I could understand if you hate them for some ethical reason such as they don't give their employees benefits or they buy their products from sweatshops or drug dealers but just because you went in there one day and couldn't get the newest game they had advertised? :roll:

Now I'm not saying we should all have sympathy toward the company. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't take delight in the fact that for many families this will be a very dark christmas.[/QUOTE]

you know better than to question this logic-- it goes nowhere. Just look at the gamestop hate, which is always based on stereotypes of cashiers and the fact that they have to ask for subs and pre-orders in order to keep their job.

People post as if the cashier won't let them leave the store without pre-ordering something or buying an edge card, when in reality, most of us know it's a simple question the cashiers ask that requires the simple answer of "no." But then, the condemnation isn't aimed at the employee, it's aimed at the entire chain. :roll:

tl;dr version: people are idiots, especially when it comes to being a consumer, because they can't picture how the world works outside of their little bubble.

[quote name='Apossum']
tl;dr version: people are idiots, especially when it comes to being a consumer, because they can't picture how the world works outside of their little bubble.[/QUOTE]

yes we should patronize a store that charges too much money and scams people on warranties and rebates because if we don't the people that work there will be out on the street

bread's done
Back