CompUSA closing all remaining stores. Expect deals/clearances ahead.

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Here's the techcrunch article on it. It's gone through the wire and just hit CNN/AP, but I prefer TC anyhow.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/07/compusa-goes-into-the-deadpool-good/

I don't know if there will be any good deals or what the clearance percentage will start out at, but at least some people can get ready to grab some of the good stuff. Do the current stores still carry/sell Bawls? That would probably be the only thing that I could actually want from them since it will take an infinite amount of time until the big clearance starts happening, and by then most of the good stuff will have been taken anyway. Oh well, they were a crappy store anyway.

I didn't see it posted anywhere and did a quick search.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']yes we should patronize a store that charges too much money and scams people on warranties and rebates because if we don't the people that work there will be out on the street[/QUOTE]

yes, we should listen to anecdotal evidence from random people we don't know, who often don't come off as all that bright, and judge an entire company as such.

but your vague citation of "scams people" really opened my eyes, thanks for posting that. Because, ya know, that's not the same thing everyone says about every store in existence.

I'm not about to get sucking on the corporate nipple, but Redvsblue has a point, the bandwagon effect and judgmental mindset in the thread is ridiculous...

it's not "anecdotal evidence" that there are tons of things at CompUSA (and have been for a long time) that can be found much cheaper elsewhere

it's not "anecdotal evidence" that the FTC themselves have come down on CompUSA for their rebate scams and that they have been the subject of class-action lawsuits for the very same

but go ahead and light a candle and shed a tear for the death of this shining beacon of retail

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']it's not "anecdotal evidence" that there are tons of things at CompUSA (and have been for a long time) that can be found much cheaper elsewhere

it's not "anecdotal evidence" that the FTC themselves have come down on CompUSA for their rebate scams and that they have been the subject of class-action lawsuits for the very same

but go ahead and light a candle and shed a tear for the death of this shining beacon of retail[/QUOTE]

That's fine and dandy, but if you've had nothing but good experiences with them, it means jack shit.

That's my situation. Sure, they have some prices that are wacky high. Solution? Don't buy those items. Wacky rebates? I don't buy shit with rebates, so it doesn't apply to me.

I can't remember a time where I wasn't treated well. I also found a bunch of deals on my older iPod stuff. They were supremely helpful when I needed a Socket A fan. Otherwise, I would have been waiting a week.

All retail experiences are based on perspective. My perspective was that it was good.

Obviously not everyone will have had a negative experience but I am not going to be surprised or saddened when a company with CompUSA's track record goes under.

Before bestbuy and circuit city ramped up expansions, my local choices were compusa (and computer city). Compusa took over compcity, much to my sadness at the time, but continued to have good deals. My purchasing habits moved away and towards bb and cc, mostly as the deals seemed better.
Now, however, most of my buying occurs online, and newegg has really tapped the market that compusa catered to. As was mentioned earlier, it will be unfortunate I can't simply run out and buy a part immediately if need be. But the only immediate need I had the last couple years was an ink cartridge, and which I could have gone to staples for.

[quote name='PDiddy312']on the compusa website there is no mention of clearance videogames. Would i have to go to the store to find them?[/QUOTE]
Clearance doesn't start until tomorrow, so even if they do mention it online, it will not appear until then.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I absolutely love when discussions like these draw the "Well, I had a god experience, so you're all nuts" people.[/QUOTE]

Kinda like the 'they looked at me funny, good riddance' people?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Kinda like the 'they looked at me funny, good riddance' people?[/quote]

Not really understanding the point there. Refusing to honoring rebates, ofter not making good on protection plans, and selling above the MSRP are not exactly the same as funny looks.

[quote name='prateeko']Clearance doesn't start until tomorrow, so even if they do mention it online, it will not appear until then.[/quote]

Are there any details about what clearances they'll have? Will there be a clearance on PC hardware? I'd like to get some stuff, if it's marked down enough.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']it's not "anecdotal evidence" that there are tons of things at CompUSA (and have been for a long time) that can be found much cheaper elsewhere [/quote]

you've gotta be fucking kidding me. EVERYTHING in retail stores can be found cheaper elsewhere.

but go ahead and light a candle and shed a tear for the death of this shining beacon of retail

okay, now you're getting somewhere. That's much better than "LOL I ASKED FOR TEH GAEM AND THEN THEY WOODN"T RESPON AND I WASLIED WTF THEN THEY KICKED ME OUT"

10% off starts today and it should go up weekly. This is coming from a Tech guy at CompUSA (posted on another blog, can't remember the link).

Employee discount (and returns) ended yesterday. I'm sure the general public will go apeshit and clear the whole place out by the afternoon, so I doubt you'll find anything worthwhile. Good deals should kick in 2-3 weeks from now, but by then all that'll be left is cobwebs...

[quote name='prateeko']10% off starts today and it should go up weekly. This is coming from a Tech guy at CompUSA (posted on another blog, can't remember the link).

Employee discount (and returns) ended yesterday. I'm sure the general public will go apeshit and clear the whole place out by the afternoon, so I doubt you'll find anything worthwhile. Good deals should kick in 2-3 weeks from now, but by then all that'll be left is cobwebs...[/quote]

Yeah i got an emial from our sales rep here at work that saels were starting today. I might stop and take a look just to check out some games and possible movie.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Obviously not everyone will have had a negative experience but I am not going to be surprised or saddened when a company with CompUSA's track record goes under.[/quote]

Personally, I hope they all burn in hell. When those fucks opened up stores in the Pittsburgh area, they screwed so many people it's not funny.

I worked, at the time (1997), as an assistant manager of a small game chain (Video Game Exchange). They came in and recruited people to work at the new store, asking us to apply and telling us how much better a company it was and whatever. I was hired to be a hardware sales guy, but when we went to training, I was told they hired too many hardware sales guys, and that I'd have to sell software, but I'd be paid the same and get the same hours - both lies.

Then, 3 months after grand opening, they laid off 3/4 of the staff, saying that things have slowed to 'normal' after the grand opening rush. They tried to lay me off, but I was #3 in hardware sales and #1 in software (by a mile too), so they couldn't lay me off. They brought in this operations manager who was some fat chick that lost a bunch of weight and who had an issue with everyone in the store that was male and younger than her (she was 27). Everyone but the GM hated this cunt, including the software manager, who made my schedule. Well, as part of the cutbacks, they said the only way they could keep me was to make me a door greeter for a few hours a week in addition to software, which was cut to part-time. More lies... Since the ops manager made the schedule for door greeters, and she hated the software manager (and vice versa), they refused to talk to each other, thus I was scheduled in both places at the same time. I'd be working like 2-close in software, and somehow was supposed to be on the door from 3-8. When I brought this up to the ops manager, I was written up for being "insubordinate" and not following the schedule. I also got written up for supposed verbal abuse of the head cashier, who was pregnant, and chain smoked and drank the whole time she was preggo. (the child was born with developmental issues, and I wonder why...) Supposedly, I yelled at her on a day which I actually wasn't even working, nor near the store. The only words I said to her in a 3 week span was "It's just regular coffee, why?" when she asked me one morning what I was drinking. But I was told that she was so upset with me for yelling hat her that she had to go to the hospital with high blood pressure, to which I said "perhaps it's the chain smoking, not a fabricated story about me", which got me 'suspended' for 2 days by the ops manager, who then attempted to write me up for missing a shift after the suspension. I had to go to the GM and explain I was suspended, and that it's impossible to miss a shift if I'm suspended, and was told there was no company policy on suspending, and that he would discuss it with the ops manager, who lied to him and said she never told me that. It got so bad that she would walk out of her office, which was right next to the exit, and tell me that I was standing too close to her office to check receipts, but if I moved closer to the door, it would open and close constantly, and I'd get yelled at for that. I took 3 more weeks of this shit, including getting written up for taking a call from a customer that had called to ask about a software package I sold him while I worked on the door. Then I was 'let go' because my 'sales weren't where they should be', which was impossible when I was checking receipts with a fucking hole-punch all night. She did this type of shit to like 4 other employees, too.

I sent my nametag to the ops manager a few weeks later with a note saying "here's your fucking trophy, bitch". She got fired a few months later for a whole bunch of shit, and they actually flew someone up from Corporate in TX to do it. The inventory manager of the store called about 6 of us that she had screwed over to tell us to come up as it was happening, and we all stood there and laughed at this bitch as she was excorted out by the upper management, crying and screaming. Then she found that someone had let all the air out of her tires (not me), so she had to scream and cry and wait for the AAA truck in the parking lot, while about 10 people laughed at her.

And they refused to give any of us our jobs back, because they couldn't prove she falsified any info, even though she was fired for it. Which is utter bullshit. So fuck CompUSA...

[quote name='Ronin317']Personally, I hope they all burn in hell. When those fucks opened up stores in the Pittsburgh area, they screwed so many people it's not funny.

I worked, at the time (1997), as an assistant manager of a small game chain (Video Game Exchange). They came in and recruited people to work at the new store, asking us to apply and telling us how much better a company it was and whatever. I was hired to be a hardware sales guy, but when we went to training, I was told they hired too many hardware sales guys, and that I'd have to sell software, but I'd be paid the same and get the same hours - both lies.

Then, 3 months after grand opening, they laid off 3/4 of the staff, saying that things have slowed to 'normal' after the grand opening rush. They tried to lay me off, but I was #3 in hardware sales and #1 in software (by a mile too), so they couldn't lay me off. They brought in this operations manager who was some fat chick that lost a bunch of weight and who had an issue with everyone in the store that was male and younger than her (she was 27). Everyone but the GM hated this cunt, including the software manager, who made my schedule. Well, as part of the cutbacks, they said the only way they could keep me was to make me a door greeter for a few hours a week in addition to software, which was cut to part-time. More lies... Since the ops manager made the schedule for door greeters, and she hated the software manager (and vice versa), they refused to talk to each other, thus I was scheduled in both places at the same time. I'd be working like 2-close in software, and somehow was supposed to be on the door from 3-8. When I brought this up to the ops manager, I was written up for being "insubordinate" and not following the schedule. I also got written up for supposed verbal abuse of the head cashier, who was pregnant, and chain smoked and drank the whole time she was preggo. (the child was born with developmental issues, and I wonder why...) Supposedly, I yelled at her on a day which I actually wasn't even working, nor near the store. The only words I said to her in a 3 week span was "It's just regular coffee, why?" when she asked me one morning what I was drinking. But I was told that she was so upset with me for yelling hat her that she had to go to the hospital with high blood pressure, to which I said "perhaps it's the chain smoking, not a fabricated story about me", which got me 'suspended' for 2 days by the ops manager, who then attempted to write me up for missing a shift after the suspension. I had to go to the GM and explain I was suspended, and that it's impossible to miss a shift if I'm suspended, and was told there was no company policy on suspending, and that he would discuss it with the ops manager, who lied to him and said she never told me that. It got so bad that she would walk out of her office, which was right next to the exit, and tell me that I was standing too close to her office to check receipts, but if I moved closer to the door, it would open and close constantly, and I'd get yelled at for that. I took 3 more weeks of this shit, including getting written up for taking a call from a customer that had called to ask about a software package I sold him while I worked on the door. Then I was 'let go' because my 'sales weren't where they should be', which was impossible when I was checking receipts with a fucking hole-punch all night. She did this type of shit to like 4 other employees, too.

I sent my nametag to the ops manager a few weeks later with a note saying "here's your fucking trophy, bitch". She got fired a few months later for a whole bunch of shit, and they actually flew someone up from Corporate in TX to do it. The inventory manager of the store called about 6 of us that she had screwed over to tell us to come up as it was happening, and we all stood there and laughed at this bitch as she was excorted out by the upper management, crying and screaming. Then she found that someone had let all the air out of her tires (not me), so she had to scream and cry and wait for the AAA truck in the parking lot, while about 10 people laughed at her.

And they refused to give any of us our jobs back, because they couldn't prove she falsified any info, even though she was fired for it. Which is utter bullshit. So fuck CompUSA...[/QUOTE]

That was a pretty good story

This was another thing CompUSA did to me and many other employees and ex-employees that I have talked to over the years. They basically lie right to your face about hours and pay while they are trying to hire you.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']That was a pretty good story[/quote]
Yet, it pales in comparison to my Electronics Boutique employment...which followed right after. There's something about retail that just lends itself to incompetent, power-tripping assholes weilding some sort of quasi-power over hourly employees. I had an alcoholic manager at EB who was banging the district manager, who hated everyone the previous DM hired and made them miserable until they all quit. You think a higher up would notice that everyone's 6 month reveiws would go from 4 and 5star (out of 5) to 1.5-2 stars with the change of DMs, with notes like "missed a shelf when dusting" on the reveiws...I'll have to tell that story sometime too. There'a a lot funnier bits to the EB days, lots of wacko customers (like those on christmas eve wanting to fight me over not having Zelda64, and 2 large guys that were regular customers beating the shit out of him in the parking lot...ahh memories...)

[quote name='Ronin317']Personally, I hope they all burn in hell. When those fucks opened up stores in the Pittsburgh area, they screwed so many people it's not funny.

And they refused to give any of us our jobs back, because they couldn't prove she falsified any info, even though she was fired for it. Which is utter bullshit. So fuck CompUSA...[/quote]

I miss Video Game Exchange.

The sign on the door indicated what has been said earlier. I'm going to go back and see if they have any ads left, as Wally World said they'd match the Brown Zune price for a White one. Here's hoping.

[quote name='Ronin317']Yet, it pales in comparison to my Electronics Boutique employment...which followed right after. There's something about retail that just lends itself to incompetent, power-tripping assholes weilding some sort of quasi-power over hourly employees. I had an alcoholic manager at EB who was banging the district manager, who hated everyone the previous DM hired and made them miserable until they all quit. You think a higher up would notice that everyone's 6 month reveiws would go from 4 and 5star (out of 5) to 1.5-2 stars with the change of DMs, with notes like "missed a shelf when dusting" on the reveiws...I'll have to tell that story sometime too. There'a a lot funnier bits to the EB days, lots of wacko customers (like those on christmas eve wanting to fight me over not having Zelda64, and 2 large guys that were regular customers beating the shit out of him in the parking lot...ahh memories...)[/QUOTE]

Please tell us your EB story. :pray: Were you the guy that knocked over an entire magazine/game rack when you quit?

[quote name='jboy']Please tell us your EB story. :pray: Were you the guy that knocked over an entire magazine/game rack when you quit?[/quote]

No...I was much more clever. I quit before I could be fired (we had an employee stealing, and I busted him, yet somehow got thrown in for 'forging' paperwork that the manager told me to do for him, and i apparently wasn't supposed to do). On my way out, I grabbed my backpack and grabbed a whole shelf full of PS1 games (this was in 1999), and walked out. Only time i'ever done anything like that in my life...and the manager let it happen, because he 'felt bad' for screwing me over with his 'mistakes on paperwork'. He called me a month later and apologized for the whole thing.

Perhaps I'll start a thread in the OT portion of the board for some of the funnier stories from those days.

[quote name='Ronin317']No...I was much more clever. I quit before I could be fired (we had an employee stealing, and I busted him, yet somehow got thrown in for 'forging' paperwork that the manager told me to do for him, and i apparently wasn't supposed to do). On my way out, I grabbed my backpack and grabbed a whole shelf full of PS1 games (this was in 1999), and walked out. Only time i'ever done anything like that in my life...and the manager let it happen, because he 'felt bad' for screwing me over with his 'mistakes on paperwork'. He called me a month later and apologized for the whole thing.

Perhaps I'll start a thread in the OT portion of the board for some of the funnier stories from those days.[/quote]

Good plan Ronin, these stories are gold, I for one would like to hear more.

Even for retail, CompUSA is a total rip-off. It's no surprise that stores like this, Sam Goody, Suncoast Video, etc., are dying off in the online age of being able to find everything for much, much cheaper than retail stores. It's also not a coincidence that stores such as Target, Wal-Mart, Fry's Electronics, etc. are thriving because they have (relatively) good prices in their stores which will still keep the online shoppers coming in and buying their products.

If it wasn't for their good weekly sales in the circulars, I would say Circuit City would be next because their everyday prices are awful.

bread's done
Back