Connecting to Xbox Live, Quick Question

Moxio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Well I finally got my 360 and I want to connect to Live so I can play with some of you guys. :) I have some quick Q's though.

x) I'm aware that you need at least a high-speed connection. I have Comcast Cable Internet. Now, I have one cable modem + wired router setup in one room. However, I want to put my 360 in another room. Could I just get some cheapo modem and plug my 360 through that to connect to the Internet? Or are things just gay so I have to use some wireless modem stuff, which would cost alot and suck?

x) Once on Xbox Live, I've noticed that people have custom avatars. How do I do that?

x) What games (Both 360 and Arcade) games do you recommend that play best on Live? So far I have Perfect Dark Zero and Top Spin 2. Any ideas?

Thanks so much to anyone who responds. Much appreciated.

-M

[quote name='Moxio']Well I finally got my 360 and I want to connect to Live so I can play with some of you guys. :) I have some quick Q's though.

x) I'm aware that you need at least a high-speed connection. I have Comcast Cable Internet. Now, I have one cable modem + wired router setup in one room. However, I want to put my 360 in another room. Could I just get some cheapo modem and plug my 360 through that to connect to the Internet? Or are things just gay so I have to use some wireless modem stuff, which would cost alot and suck?

Thanks so much to anyone who responds. Much appreciated.

-M[/quote]
You can only run one cable modem per residence. Can't run two of them.

Two best ways to deal with this situation:
1) Very long Ethernet cable from 360 to router.
2) Replace the wired router with a wireless router, and attach a wireless device to the device in the other room. If the 360 is the device in the other room, you can either use the 360 wireless adapter (MS or 3rd party one), a wireless bridge (from the 360's Ethernet port to the bridge), or a wireless game adapter (which is nothing more than a dumbed-down, single-device bridge).

1. I don't think that is a xbox issue with a cheap modemm, It may be an issue with comcast. I am not sure if you can do that or not. If the cheap modemm connects, then it shouldn't be a problem for the xbox 360. If you have a router, run an ethernet cable thru the walls. If you can't do that, then wireless will be the way to go.

2. If I get your question right, you can DL them via th marketplace. I assume you are talking about the gamer pic...There are some free ones, and some you have to buy via the marketplace points.

3. Uno is great.

[quote name='shrike4242']You can only run one cable modem per residence. Can't run two of them.

Two best ways to deal with this situation:
1) Very long Ethernet cable from 360 to router.
2) Replace the wired router with a wireless router, and attach a wireless device to the device in the other room. If the 360 is the device in the other room, you can either use the 360 wireless adapter (MS or 3rd party one), a wireless bridge (from the 360's Ethernet port to the bridge), or a wireless game adapter (which is nothing more than a dumbed-down, single-device bridge).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Do you have any price tags you attach to those solutions or where I could get them?

Thanks in advance.

Get a Nyko Wireless extender. It should cost you about $20 on eBay. It acts like a wired ethernet cable. I used one for the longest time with no problems.

[quote name='Moxio']Thanks for the response. Do you have any price tags you attach to those solutions or where I could get them?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Shop around. Go to Frys, Circuit City, Best Buy. Or do you want us to do that for you too?

[quote name='zewone']Get a Nyko Wireless extender. It should cost you about $20 on eBay. It acts like a wired ethernet cable. I used one for the longest time with no problems.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree. THe NWE works vrey well and it's very easy to set up.

[quote name='mmn']Shop around. Go to Frys, Circuit City, Best Buy. Or do you want us to do that for you too?[/QUOTE]

Yes please. I'll pay for shipping.

[quote name='zewone']Get a Nyko Wireless extender. It should cost you about $20 on eBay. It acts like a wired ethernet cable. I used one for the longest time with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Strange, I can't seem to find it on eBay. Would this place have it or is reputable?

Hey Shrike , can you connect a wireless router to another router with a cord ?

I have a linksys corded router and 2 microsoft wireless routers that I want to use as access points to maximize my coverage .
I want cable modem -> corded router -> both wireless router/access points ?
Your definitely somebody that will know for certain . Thanks .

[quote name='zewone']Get a Nyko Wireless extender. It should cost you about $20 on eBay. It acts like a wired ethernet cable. I used one for the longest time with no problems.[/quote]

Maybe that's why your connection is always laggy as hell.

[quote name='Trakan']Maybe that's why your connection is always laggy as hell.[/QUOTE]
Bitch - I don't even use a NWE anymore. I broke it. It's laggy as hell because I'm stealing it with a Lynksys Gaming Adapter.

[quote name='zewone']Bitch - I don't even use a NWE anymore. I broke it. It's laggy as hell because I'm stealing it with a Lynksys Gaming Adapter.[/quote]

Hahaha. When's your friend getting outta jail so you can play Halo on a regular basis?

Moxio, if you have a wireless controller, be sure to grab the Play 'n Charge kit.

bread's done
Back