Considering buying a DS...worth it?

cdietschrun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Well.

I had a PSP long ago, and had like...6 games for it. Played them all and beat them, it was almost a pain to do so. Never bothered with ROMS/ISOS/homebrew.

But I look at the game stores, and I see lots of cool DS game titles that are all cheaply priced. Like some Mario's, the Phoenix Wright series, I dunno, cool lookin stuff.

So, question #1) Who here would say a DS is worth it?
#2) What is the best deal I can get on a DS? I haven't researched the price much at all
#3) Anything else...

Thanks CAGs

I'll 3rd the opinion that it is totally worth it. There are just so many games that are fun and are worth playing. (This coming from a person who used to have a PSP and sold it)

OK.

What about deals on it?
What about certain accessories that I should look into? I read about the screen getting beat up / stylus issues.
What are some good games?

Worth it? To say yes would be an understatement. Try TRU, from time to time they have bundles for just $10 more you get a game or two plus a travel case. Most retailers will occasionally put out a free game bundle. If you have a Fry's nearby, check them out.

It's worth it. The gameplay experiences are different from any other handheld. Plus it is backwards compatible with GBA games.

Ohhh! Didn't know about GBA.

Sounds good. I think I'm gonna get one if I can get the right deal.

What about games, accessories?

[quote name='cdietschrun']Ohhh! Didn't know about GBA.

Sounds good. I think I'm gonna get one if I can get the right deal.

What about games, accessories?[/quote]

I only have a few, but I really like Phoenix Wright. It is a slower paced text adventure type game, but it is smart and funny.

For accessories make sure you get screen protectors to keep you screen free of any scratches. Some helpful CAGs recommended them when I got my DS and they are worth it. I can't remember what I payed for the screen protectors but I think you can find them for under $10. It came with one for each screen. They are static cling and be easily removed if the need arises.

Honestly, an entry price of $130 isn't bad to me to begin with.

But, if you go on Craigs List there's almost always something listed for ~$100.

The DS is a great handheld system. I just never played with it in my house because I could just as easily play 360 or Wii. I don't commute or have any real opportunities outside of home, besides the occasional vacation or something where I would bring my DS.....so basically I really haven't played my DS much mainly because I don't have a need for a handheld. I bought my DS for about $30 from some guy that was gonna trade it in to GS who was offering only about $25 at the time. Despite it being worn, it did its job.

Hori screen protectors are a must. They are high quality and are licensed, and are $7 or $10. They sell them at Fry's Electronics if your on the west coast.

[quote name='johnnypark']Honestly, an entry price of $130 isn't bad to me to begin with.

But, if you go on Craigs List there's almost always something listed for ~$100.[/quote]

I agree, it's not bad, but the motto of the site is (or at least I thought it was) "Never settle for full price, unless you have to" :)

I appreciate the feedback everyone. I'm lookin now to see what I can get!

unless your a wreckless 12 year old kid you dont need screen protectors. i dont know what people are doing that they scratch their screens, i have had a ds since launch. first the phat, then the lite, neither of them have had any problems with scratching what-so-ever. a microfiber cloth once in awhile is all you need.

and as for the topic, there has to be three dozen of this exact same thread, we need to get daroga or strell or someone to make a thread about how the ds is great and just sticky it.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']unless your a wreckless 12 year old kid you dont need screen protectors. i dont know what people are doing that they scratch their screens, i have had a ds since launch. first the phat, then the lite, neither of them have had any problems with scratching what-so-ever. a microfiber cloth once in awhile is all you need.

and as for the topic, there has to be three dozen of this exact same thread, we need to get daroga or strell or someone to make a thread about how the ds is great and just sticky it.[/quote]

Are you kidding? Even with it closed dust can get in and if you try to wipe it off there is a good chance you can scratch it unintentionally.

Obviously asking in this forum you're going to get everyone recommending it. It's my favorite game system in a long time, and at the very least the best handheld system ever made. And even though it's only been out 2.5 years, I have more DS games than I do games for most other systems. So yes, it's clearly worth owning.

Its very worth it, just make sure you like the types of games that are out and make sure you look at game release lists to make sure there is stuff that you will actually buy. As long as you are not a person who has to have the latest ps3 style graphics or a person who must play FPS games only its worth it.

The only types of people I would not recommend it to are people who looked at past and present release lists and see nothing that they really want to play (although this would be hard as the DS has a very respectable, diverse library now) or people who must have the latest and best graphics and nothing less, oh and people who must play only mature rated games..

The only accessories you need are a case and screen protectors, I recommend checking out www.dealextreme.com for the cheapest.

Good advice there on the game selection. The DS seems very cool with the game selections. I am unfortunately one of the only people I know that plays many (mainstream) games on most mainstream systems, like Rogue Galaxy or Bully and so I think the DS library is worth it for me.

I'd say definately without any hesitation. I'm one of those people who had the DS at launch and was nothing but dissapointed...but after a while the DS really grew on me and the systems game library so far is full of stand-out and unique titles.

bread's done
Back